Thread: Is this a Snes Pin Connector problem? Also where to buy in Canada?

Insert Coin (Level 0) cool_boy_mew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Is this a Snes Pin Connector problem? Also where to buy in Canada?

The little online retro gaming shops I've found that has it doesn't even have an option to ship to Canada and Ebay is out of the question with the absolutely insane shipping price on top of duty being added to it

Basically, my Snes is acting very weird, Illusion of Gaia and Terragnima (Repro and not repro with the PAR3) refuses to boot, but works perfectly 1st try with any other Snes. There's some other weird effects in some games, like for example Yoshi's Island, in the mist going to fight Hookbill (World 4 boss), the screen starts to scroll vertically (There's also other graphical glitches here and there with red looking sprites). These aren't random, they're always at the same specific spot for every games. Same for like Super Puyo Puyo, it does that at the company logo at the game boot up.

Some other games works, but doesn't. Like for exemple, Seiken Densetsu 3, game boots perfectly, intro works, title screen works but refuses to go to the file select, the game just reboot somehow. And Radical Rex, game starts "normally", but no character sprites anywhere, can't do anything.

So uhhh, is my Snes completely busted? I heard it might be my pin connector, so yeah, let's try this, I refuse to pay the absolutely ridiculous Ebay prices however.

Thanks

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

it sounds more like some IC has gone bad, something graphics related it sounds.

if you want to test weither or not its the cart connector and you have others that are working why don't you just swap a connector out of a working system into the problem system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was graphic related, wouldn't the problems be more random? Like I said, the problems are completely at the same place every time. Other than the problems at fixed places, the games works pretty well. I could play all of Yoshi's Island with very little problems other than the screen scrolling at very specific places and red sprites once in a while. Considering it's probably one of the most graphically intensive games on the system, it probably should've had more problems than that? Also the red sprite problem doesn't really appear in any other games I've played so far, probably due to the FX chip

Edit: At least, how I see it, it seems to be more a problem with how the data is loaded? Why Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma completely refuse to works while other does, why these specific places?

As for the pin connector, I do not own multiple Snes unfortunately

If it's indeed graphic related, this means the Snes is toasted, no possibility of repairs?
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 10-07-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cool_boy_mew View Post
    Like I said, the problems are completely at the same place every time. Other than the problems at fixed places, the games works pretty well.
    If the problem was with the connector then you wouldn't have the problems at fixed places. Either the games won't boot at all or they would crash randomly as they just lose a connection. If the games boot up properly and play pretty well, it's not the connector. There's something else wrong with your console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it's not that then?

Then my Snes is toasted? That's pretty bad, there's no way I can get one from ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I say hit up some thrifts and get your self a new one
    also up in the canadia way don't you guys have kujuju or something like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kijiji

While it's gonna save me the insane shipping cost, tax and insane conversion, there's is no way in hell anyone on kijiji is gonna sell one at a decent price... On top of the possibility of getting a busted one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I say hit up some thrifts and get your self a new one
    also up in the canadia way don't you guys have kujuju or something like that
    We do have Kijiji which is our version of Ebay Classifieds, there's also craigslist here which isn't as popular anymore. If you don't mind paying double or triple what they cost on ebay auctions then Kijiji is the way to go. I used to find so much through the local classifieds but it's been ages since I've found anything. It depends on the city too as different areas have different items, and some hardly get any postings. Thrifts are drying up too.

The console might still be repairable if you know someone who's good with electronics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The console might still be repairable if you know someone who's good with electronics.
    Yeah, but the big question is, where lies the problem in the first place? It might very well be repairable, but we'll have to know what is actually wrong with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

what end of Canada are you on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Québec

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hmm well there goes that idea. So yea hit up them thrifts. You guys still have value village up there right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but from my experience, there's pretty much nothing worthwhile in thrifts anymore or it's ridiculously priced =/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

that's part of the hobby is to keep at it. I regularly find $5 and $10 loose game systems and I live in a small town where I think half of the people live off of ebay earnings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cool_boy_mew View Post
    Yeah, but the big question is, where lies the problem in the first place? It might very well be repairable, but we'll have to know what is actually wrong with it
    That's what the electronics expert is for, testing everything to find the problem. Every component and trace on the system board has to be checked, if anything is found to be off it has to be corrected. Could be something simple like a bad solder connection too, affecting some other component. It's time consuming and difficult to do this checking with everything.

If you're in Quebec there's a more local forum that might be able to help you out, if you're skilled in French. It's been around for many years.
    http://www.ccjvq.com/community/

I agree with you about the thrifts. There's a chance you can still find stuff but it can take months even if you go every day. I should start posting more photos of the overpriced or crazy stuff again. I still like checking them out when I can though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, plus I live nowhere near the good ones. There's one village des valeurs close-ish, and last time I went there was 2-3 ps1/2 sports games and shovelware. The rest are all really expensive thrifts stores heh

And wow, I forgot about CCJVQ, there might be someone there that could look at it, thanks. No worries about having to write in French as I'm French Canadian

Thanks for the help