Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games you wish had come out on other platforms (Exclusivity envy!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games you wish had come out on other platforms (Exclusivity envy!)

Title is pretty self explanatory. What are some games you wish had come out on your platform of choice back in the day, or you wish were available for a system you discovered later on?

For me, it's the Marvel vs. Capcom titles on Nintendo systems. I loved both of them in the arcades. I watched as Marvel vs. Capcom 1 came out on PlayStation and Dreamcast, as Marvel vs. Capcom 2 came out on Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox. Literally every major non-Nintendo home console.

Now, I understand why N64 was skipped, but why couldn't MvC2 have come out on GCN? GCN discs had more space than Dreamcast discs, and interest in GameCube was still really high when MvC2 came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Long list, but that's because I stuck it out with Nintendo as a primary console through the Gamecube, didn't go into splits until the PS3/Wii (debacle) and PS4/WiiU too.

PS1 -- You had the Final Fantasy games like 9 and other good Square stuff, the Capcom arcade conversions, rebirth/remakes spinoffs of 16bit console franchise stuff anything from Castlevania to Mega Man down the alphabet.
    PS2 -- I cant' stand the stuff now, but I was big into GTA3 and also Vice City, at least the GBA got GTA Advance. Even then PS2 has some again nice RPGs GC didn't get, Sky Odyssey, Gitaroo Man, and so on.
    PS3 -- That's when it it went beyond into just stinging and I went multi-console -- Uncharted above all, then God of War, Dragon's Crown, Call of Duty (when I still cared), and their other first/2nd party treasures.

PS4 is too new still, but the PS3 line is still the same applies here since they haven't made anything really 'new' yet other than I guess Tearaway and Gravity Rush so far on physical media.

As far as PS1/2 goes, they would have been on Nintendo had they not bungled the cart vs cd junk so badly I'm sure while also pissing off third parties by stacking releases to dominate sales. PS3 though and 4, that gets into actual exclusivity, not being snubbed so it's two different things going on between those generations.

Funny thing I still have my N64 and GC, only got the PS3 for blu ray movies and netflix and a PS4 for games. NIntendo at least created stuff with staying power, and also not broken on release so they will keep working far after the servers with repair patches vanish. That's why in part I ditched my PS3 games, they'd be screwed eventually.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Ocean First Departure - I wish it had come out for any platform other than PSP

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

SNK Arcade Classics 0 for PSP. Probably onto PS2 or really anything that could handle twin stick control, as that's as close as you can really get to a serviceable control scheme on a game meant to be played on a rotary joystick. Several of those games never found their way to a home system, or at least one that could do them justice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm weird but I went from Atari 2600 to Nes to Sega Genesis to PS1 to Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One and have NEVER been jealous or envious of another system's exclusives. After each of those generations were over I eventually went and bought the competing systems(and during the last generation I had a 360, PS3, Wii, DS/3DS and PSP while they were all still current) but even if I didn't I wouldn't have felt like I was missing out on anything. Competing systems always have their share of good games but when this gen started I felt even less of a reason to buy the other systems mainly for their lack of compelling games. Now if I would have gone from SMS to SNES to N64 or Saturn to Gamecube or PS2 to Wii or PS3 to Wii U or PS4 I would have felt envious of the other system's games. But that's why I do research before I make my purchases.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wasn't envious either going through the cycle. I was disappointed what the kiddie box smear campaign did to the N64 but I just used my GBC and bought a lot of cheaper games for it since they were nearly 1/2 the price, and then discovered the Turbo Duo and did that too. I never bought a same era competitor system until 2001 when I ended up getting a PSOne+LCD and a PS2 the same time pretty much when I was at Midway.

The way I looked at it was I made my choice, and I'll find stuff to enjoy as there's more than enough and there really was. Pre N64, it was a no brainer given the support Nintendo ginned up as Sega exclusives outside of the arcade mostly did nothing for me. After 2001 though I just ended up buying both the Nintendo and Sony system so there was no loss. I just took this post as more of a what if... (like if I had never bought the PS3 or PS4 and stuck with the floundering Wiis.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Orta Xbox,fan of the series and i'm surprised sega never had a remaster of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Half-Life. I'd heard about how great it was, but I didn't have access to it. It was supposed to come out on the Dreamcast but Sierra cancelled it weeks from completion. The Macintosh version was developed, and again, Sierra cancelled it probably a week before it was supposed to be mastered, the only thing left was squashing a few bugs in the networking code. Apparently Sierra's last game on the Mac was a real-time strategy game (and crappy RTS games were choking the Mac software shelves at that point and real action games were few and far between) based on ancient Egypt and had only sold 3000 copies. So they killed off an entirely different genre game that was highly anticipated because one of their low-effort port jobs didn't sell. I have never bought another Sierra game since then. Screw 'em. I was happy when they went under.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Dracula X aka Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. I know there is a variant on SNES, but I would of killed if this specific version had come out in the US on a more easily obtainable system than TurboGrafx CD. I don't mind the game being in Japanese at all, but also would like to play the original game with English subtitles. As we stand now, my options are get a TurboGrafx CD/Turbo Duo or get the PSP remake. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Dracula X aka Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. I know there is a variant on SNES, but I would of killed if this specific version had come out in the US on a more easily obtainable system than TurboGrafx CD. I don't mind the game being in Japanese at all, but also would like to play the original game with English subtitles. As we stand now, my options are get a TurboGrafx CD/Turbo Duo or get the PSP remake. Oh well.
    The pce version of dracula-x did come to the u.s through the wii virtual console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up playing the NES during my adolescence. Around the time of 1992 or so, coin-op ports like T2: The Arcade Game, Street Fighter II, and Mortal Kombat were being published for 8bit platforms like the Gameboy, but NOT for the NES. I pissed me off that Gameboy owners could play these ports (however crappy they were) while I was being denied opportunities to play them. If the Gameboy could handle ports of those games, the original NES could do so too.

When I finally got a 16 bit console, I had the Genesis / Megadrive. Of course, I missed out on Nintendo's great first party titles, but I expected that to happen. I think Contra III: The Alien Wars and Alien 3 were some of the only third party SNES titles that I wish had been ported to the Genesis. I now know that there were some Megaman games for the SNES, but I've never played any Megaman X games, and I'm not sure if Megaman 7 was any good.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of Castlevania, there's another certain title I was upset at not getting as a Nintendo only owner growing up - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Came out on Playstation 1, Saturn (in Japan), then got rereleased on PS3, Xbox 360, and PSP. So it quite literally came out on a system for every major non-Nintendo manufacturer, and still has yet to come out on a Nintendo console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point about Symphony, kind of insulting...thanks Konami, glad you're in the spot you're in now. That said Symphony gets grossly overrated being the first of that style so many copied after it and other companies too. It's good, but it's not all shades of awesome either. If anything though from the earlier posts, Wii deserves some credit for the crazy imports they got as downloads people probably never thought they'd see like Ys Book1+2 among others.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, Symphony of the Night wasn't really the first of its kind. It wasn't even the first good Castleroid game... I consider the likes of the Wonder Boy series, Blaster Master, and The Battle of Olympus to have that honor. I disagree about it being overrated, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wanted and hoped for Final Fight to get ported to the Genesis. Without the need for the useless cd attachment. It was a great machine for cps1 ports, not sure why they skipped over FF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

I would have liked to see an arcade port of Moonwalker on the SNES, or at least Nintendo's version of that game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    I grew up playing the NES during my adolescence. Around the time of 1992 or so, coin-op ports like T2: The Arcade Game, Street Fighter II, and Mortal Kombat were being published for 8bit platforms like the Gameboy, but NOT for the NES. I pissed me off that Gameboy owners could play these ports (however crappy they were) while I was being denied opportunities to play them. If the Gameboy could handle ports of those games, the original NES could do so too.

When I finally got a 16 bit console, I had the Genesis / Megadrive. Of course, I missed out on Nintendo's great first party titles, but I expected that to happen. I think Contra III: The Alien Wars and Alien 3 were some of the only third party SNES titles that I wish had been ported to the Genesis. I now know that there were some Megaman games for the SNES, but I've never played any Megaman X games, and I'm not sure if Megaman 7 was any good.
    Are the Genesis and Snes versions of Alien 3 completely different games?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Dunsmore View Post
    Are the Genesis and Snes versions of Alien 3 completely different games?
    Yes. The Genesis one is much more like the NES game. The SNES game has less action/more exploration, and is entirely different.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    Speaking of Castlevania, there's another certain title I was upset at not getting as a Nintendo only owner growing up - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Came out on Playstation 1, Saturn (in Japan), then got rereleased on PS3, Xbox 360, and PSP. So it quite literally came out on a system for every major non-Nintendo manufacturer, and still has yet to come out on a Nintendo console.
    Speaking of games strangely lacking on Nintendo consoles: Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It got ported quite a bit, even one of the FIVE games released for the SuperGrafx but not a single Nintendo console (except the Genesis version on Wii VC).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Doesn't really matter now apart from nostalgic reasons (I like seeing what can be done under the older consoles limitations), but back in the late 80s-early 90s I would've loved to see some Mega Man, TMNT and Castlevania for SMS or GG (I know about the US Gold one).

I was lucky to own both SNES and MD when they were new, and both GG and GB. I guess it would've been cool to see some slowdown-ridden SNES games on MD, or TG16.
    Maybe Ecco and Ranger X on SNES for the audio and control setup, respectively.

But let's say I owned only one so that I can make some lists.

Only MD;
    Super Metroid
    Star Fox
    Yoshi's Island
    FF5-6
    Mega Man X series

Only SNES;
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Panorama Cotton
    Shining Force II
    Herzog Zwei
    Contra HC