Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Soldiers fans anywhere?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

So, my Guerrilla War showed up today, and has been a pain in the butt. At first, nothing was working right; no sound, garbled picture, completely unplayable. After reseating all of the ribbon connector clips on the three board stack and reseating some of the ROM chips, the picture is right save about five feint rows of pixels vertically on the right edge of the screen. For sound, I had to run a -5v wire to the harness, as Time Soldiers doesn't use one, so the original owner just cut those wires out. So, while mounting a platform for the pcb, it slipped and ripped the speaker wires out, so I had to re-wire that. My own fault on that one for working on it while half asleep.

So, now it's up and running with proper play and sound, so I just need to figure out those rows of pixels. They don't wreck the game and are barely noticeable unless the screen is black, but they'll drive me nutty until I get them gone. I'll have to do some more reseating tomorrow and hope that it's not bad RAM. I kniw it isn't the monitor, because Time Soldiers and Gondomania look correct. I'm thinking it'll be a background graphics ROM that needs reseating, as it's the same rows of pixels every time, not just some random noise from electrical connections.

Cool game so far. I've beaten the NES game many times, but the rotary control is preferrable. I think I still prefer Time Soldiers, but variety is fun.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Guerilla War is a nice score, you really DO have great taste in games. Those funky pixels would drive me batty as well. Good luck trouble shooting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Guerilla War is a nice score, you really DO have great taste in games. Those funky pixels would drive me batty as well. Good luck trouble shooting it.
    Thanks! Been having fun playing Guerrilla War. The 8-way rotation is a lot different from the 12-way in Time Soldiers, so it's a lot tougher to play the angles. Still, loads of fun to play, and it's always amused me to be playing as Castro and Guevara as someone who grew up during the cold war as a kid.

I pulled, cleaned the legs, and reseated all of the ROMs, and reseated all of the edge board connectors on the three board stack, but those few feint rows of pixels are still there, making me think that there may be a weak capacitor somewhere, or maybe it's just meant to be played at a lower brightness, as they go away when it's turned down a tad. Some boards definitely like different brightness settings, like WWF Wrestlefest... that one needs the brightness turned way down when I play it in my 25" monitor Neo Geo cabinet, or it looks crazy washed out. Looks great toned down. Maybe this is just a similar board oddity, as Time Soldiers, Gondomania, and Devastators all look great in it.

Speaking of rotary games... anybody here play much Bermuda Triangle? It's one of the only rotary games I haven't played, and I don't see boards floating around much. Seems like the second hardest board to find after SAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So, I need some help about Time Soldiers. I just came from a newly opened arcade that has a Time Soldiers/Heavy Barrel cab, but I don't remember how to play the game exactly (it was probably 1990 since I last played the game). Are the warp gates random? Do I need to go through them? I want to be prepped for the next time I go to that arcade again.

Speaking of Sky Soldiers, they had that cab there too, with Raiden 2 just a toggle away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    So, I need some help about Time Soldiers. I just came from a newly opened arcade that has a Time Soldiers/Heavy Barrel cab, but I don't remember how to play the game exactly (it was probably 1990 since I last played the game). Are the warp gates random? Do I need to go through them? I want to be prepped for the next time I go to that arcade again.

Speaking of Sky Soldiers, they had that cab there too, with Raiden 2 just a toggle away.
    The starting stage is random. It will be Rome, World Wars, or Primitive. When you clear the miniboss at the end of the stage, you can either take the warp gate or stay in the age you're in.

The warp gate will take you to the next chronological age in line. If you enter the gate in Rome, you'll be in the World Wars. If you enter the gate in the World Wars, it will take you to the Primitive Age, and entering the gate in the Primitive Age takes you to the Age of Rome.

At the beginning, it will tell you where to rescue the first warrior. If you've forgotten, the name of the age at the top of the screen will be flashing when you're in the correct age.

Rescue the warrior in each of those three ages, and you will go to either the Future World or the Age of Wars (feudal Japan). The gates in these simply go back and forth between the two. Clearing them will take you to the final battle with Gylend, where you can't continue in a brutal stage.

If you need any tips on the power-up system, let me know! It's the key to winning.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Celery maybe you can shed some light on this.

I can across an ad for an arcade cabinet that was a line built for a theater chain. They had no marquee on top, the marquee was underneath the control panel and the whole panel could be removed like one big box. The PCB was also mounted onto the inside of the control panel box.

This looked a bit weird, but by having everything mounted on into a removeable box you could change just that one part and be done, plus it allowed the same cabinet to be switched out with games that had totally different controls.

The point of this meandering story is the cab included 3 boards along with their fancy pants control panels; Street Fighter II, a vertical shmup, and Time Soldiers. The Time Soldiers sticks were regular ball top 8-ways and not rotary sticks.

So, with this were players just stuck with always facing forward? Or is their a dipswitch on the board to allow regular movement controls like they implimented in some of the SNK PSP ports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Celery maybe you can shed some light on this.

I can across an ad for an arcade cabinet that was a line built for a theater chain. They had no marquee on top, the marquee was underneath the control panel and the whole panel could be removed like one big box. The PCB was also mounted onto the inside of the control panel box.

This looked a bit weird, but by having everything mounted on into a removeable box you could change just that one part and be done, plus it allowed the same cabinet to be switched out with games that had totally different controls.

The point of this meandering story is the cab included 3 boards along with their fancy pants control panels; Street Fighter II, a vertical shmup, and Time Soldiers. The Time Soldiers sticks were regular ball top 8-ways and not rotary sticks.

So, with this were players just stuck with always facing forward? Or is their a dipswitch on the board to allow regular movement controls like they implimented in some of the SNK PSP ports?
    Official Time Soldiers pcbs were only made with rotary controls in mind, so most likely players were forced to play facing up, which is frankly nigh impossible. It can be done, as the last stage where you can't continue can be done that way, but it really would ruin the experience.

There were rotary games, like Heavy Barrel, that had non-rotary versions, and Guerrilla War has a non-rotary bootleg hack that lets you shoot where you're facing, but I've never heard of a Time Soldiers like that. Hope that helps! Also, I can confirm that it us not a dip option. I have 3 pcbs and the manual. Definitely meant only for the LS-30s.

Edit: if it's a cabinet you're thinking about buying, I do have a spare set of Data East rotary sticks that are 100% compatible with all LS-30 games that came out of a Heavy Barrel. I'm not looking to offload them, but I'd let you have them for cheap to help you out, as I got them for dirt cheap a couple of years ago in an auction.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-22-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

That was definitely a strange cab then. The Time Soldiers setup was 2 buttons and a regular balltop controller. I'll see if I can find it again for some pics.

What was even more strange and I have no idea how they did it was that it had the monitor mounted vertically for Time Soldiers and the other shmup, yet Street Fighter II would play on it without having to physically move the monitor. How the hell that works is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's also a hack of Ikari Warriors made for a standard joystick. I use OpenEmu for emulation, and there's no way to play rotary controller games (or even to configure the controller if I managed to build one) so I'm always happy when I come across a standard stick hack for a rotary game.

I've been back to that arcade but I still haven't finished Time Soldiers. I have completed Heavy Barrel again, though. You can't beat the real hardware, especially when it comes to kooky controls.