Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Based on what you've said, LRG isn't about making money, or about making their customers happy. It's about existing for the sake of continuing to exist. That really is a unique business model.

In more practical terms to ensure not overproducing a print run, the best way would be to set up a preorder type system. Orders are left open for a limited time, and the number of paid orders they get would dictate the size of the print run they make. The way it's set up now there's still more of a risk of potentially overproducing copies. Even limiting the collector's version to a small number while not strictly limiting the regular version would make more sense. But that's not the best way of artificially inflating value and demand now is it.
    That's literally not what I said as is very clear from what you quoted me as saying. To repeat, they are about releasing games physically that wouldn't get a physical release otherwise and building a successful business that continues to allow them to do that. As others very accurately pointed out, the limited nature of the releases allows them to sell out and continue to release more games. They make profits based on short term volume over numerous releases, not long term sales of fewer titles. LRG is by far the most successful niche publisher in modern history and they seem to understand what's in the best interest of their business. I can understand potential buyers being frustrated with some aspects of their business, but with some minimal effort, it's usually pretty easy to buy their releases. If it's too much work for you or if you just don't care, that's cool too because you can always buy the same games often for far less digitally or not at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Angry

So this week is yet another release..."Kill The Bad Guy".

So, that makes 10 games for Friday?

Ok, Im kidding, but seriously, I think 3-4 different releases? And if you are variant collector, the price will literally be rape for your wallet.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I thought, if anything else, Friday would finally get the missing #98 release, which is supposedly a shmup. I sincerely hope they're not planning on tacking on even more releases.

Since there's nothing Vita planned for Friday thus far, I'm presumably going to enjoy another break. The CEs for Munch and Nurse Love Addiction, plus the standard Vita releases, have been enough of a hit on my wallet from LRG lately. I wonder if LRG is trying to take advantage of the tax refunds a lot of people are getting. Though, for me, as a self-employed person, this is a tighter time of the year, as I usually owe Uncle Sam a fair chunk and have my first estimated tax payment for 2018 due soon too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Since there's nothing Vita planned for Friday thus far, I'm presumably going to enjoy another break.
    I thought you bought their PS4 games only if they were exclusive to the PS4? You're interested in Rabi Ribi, so why aren't you interested in getting Momodora? You've purchased worse that's for sure.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I stopped buying their PS4 releases a long time ago, only making an exception for Wonder Boy, and I've said as much many times since. It was with Skullgirls where I stopped buying their games for every platform and switched to only buying the PS4 exclusives, and then I stopped buying the PS4 exclusives after Flinthook. I'll probably sell off most of my LRG PS4 games eventually, just keeping the ones I really want like Wonder Boy and Shantae: Risky's Revenge and the few I've already opened like Firewatch, Shadow Complex, and Lost Sea. Momodora looks like something I'd be eager to play and buy were it on Vita, but I already have a big enough backlog of PS4 games, and I'm not collecting for that system, so I don't especially care about it if it's only for PS4. I'll be buying Rabi-Ribi for Vita. I have no intention of getting the PS4 version.

I also could not possibly care less about your judgments on what I buy. I buy stuff for my own enjoyment, not for your approval.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Senko no Ronde 2 finally coming out. I'm not getting the CE, but it has a CE that includes soundtrack, illustration DVD, and artbook. Images are on the link below, just scroll down.

The game is $40 on PSN, might be $50 or $55 from LRG. Nothing about DLC has been announced, but other games like Furi and Oddworld have the DLC included. I'd think even if the DLC is from other companies, the game and the DLC is still licensed to the original publisher for release in the US.

http://senkoro.com/en/products

*edit*

Also, check your emails for the sign up email that should be sent out in the next week or so I'm assuming, because Play-Asia is releasing a limited edition of X-Morph Defense. It's a shoot em up tower defense hybrid. Looks really good. Only 3000 copies. PS4 only.

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2018/...exclusive-ps4/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-29-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The first batch of the Switch CE of Thimbleweed Park and the PS4 releases of Thimbleweed Park, Kill the Bad Guy, and Momodora have all been put up, and preorders for the standard Switch version of Thimbleweed Park have opened (and will remain open until April 13). Momodora went fast, as did the Thimbleweed Park Switch CE.

Nothing for me today, but good luck to those shopping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Days later and they still have copies of all Thimbleweed and something bad guy. Josh and Doug must be shitting bricks. 😂

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So I saw a picture of LRG's PAX East booth for this year https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ-8NZoX0AAoimL.jpg

I have tickets to go to PAX for Friday and I really hope they don't sell out of their exclusive covers today. I want to at least grab the bit trip and Senko no Ronde 2. 900 and 1000 copies doesn't really give me much hope since tens of thousands of people go to PAX each day. Either way I'm sure I'll find something that I haven't picked up yet at their booth.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm just hoping I can grab the Bit.Trip variant on the site on the 13th. I hope they have something new for Vita that day so I can combine shipping, considering that was the reason I passed on the standard copies (since it was the only Vita game for sale that day).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I may just pass over that PlayStation 4 shooter it's just too expensive. I may consider doing an exchange for the odd World collector set for the Vita.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even though I'm visiting family this month and using slow as molasses internet, I managed to get the Vita Bit.Trip PAX variant without a problem. It's just a bummer there was no advantage in waiting versus buying the standard version a while ago, outside of getting a rarer version, since everything else for sale today was either something I didn't want or something I've already bought in one form or another.

I hope everyone else managed to grab whatever they wanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I bought Senko no Ronde 2 alone thinking that it'd sell out quick because of the limited supply, because I didn't bother a previous time getting The.Bit.Trip and I do actually like the game(own it on the 3DS and PC) I saw the PAX copies still available so I purchased them then.

I then put in a ticket requesting that they combine my orders and if I could actually have a regular version of The.Bit.Trip instead of the PAX variant. Honestly, I don't care about the rarity of the two. The cover of the PAX variant looks pretty stupid and I'd actually rather have the original versions cover. Not going to sell it, so I couldn't care if it was more expensive or not.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

And another competitor enters the fray.
    Super Rare Games. Anyone else hear of them? I Googled indie games the other day and ran across this article... https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...intendo-switch

It was an interesting read and even mentioned competing with the likes of Limited Run Games and how their business model differed. I checked them out at https://superraregames.com/ and bought Human: Fall Flat. I was sort of surprised I could still purchase the game, as it was released March 9th.
    Let me tell you, it sure was nice ordering a game in a nice leisurely fashion instead of the frantic sniping experience I have at both Limited Run and Strictly Limited Games. Play Asia recently notified me they were changing the way they sell their exclusives from a per-order sign up process to the the exact same way Limited Run does - due to costumer requests. Really!

Anyway, I figured the OP wouldn't mind this post as there aren't too many people here and most seem interested in physical copies of indie games.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't mind at all. The more info on limited physical releases, the merrier. I sometimes post about releases not from LRG in this topic myself. Thanks for the heads-up on Super Rare Games. This is the first I've heard of them. I'm surprised they got the Switch version of The Flame in the Flood, considering LRG did the PS4 version. I wonder if that means Super Rare Games is giving developers a better cut than LRG.

It's funny how most of the LRG copycats are doing either Asian or European releases. With the ESRB fees, I guess this business concept isn't so profitable anymore for an American startup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

There was a company that had rights to 99Vidas. I really regret missing out on the chance to get the Vita copy. Is it possible that LRG might release this game?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    There was a company that had rights to 99Vidas. I really regret missing out on the chance to get the Vita copy. Is it possible that LRG might release this game?
    Not sure about an LRG copy but I do know 99 Vidas is free right now on PSN with PS+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Yup, got it a few days ago. Seriously enjoying it. Wish I had known of the release of it from Strictly Limited Games. Hope I cam trade a copy of it for something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    LRG passed on publishing this title and SLG then picked it up. Probably not.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If anybody hasn't yet bought and wants Future Unfolding for PS4, it's still available with the vinyl.