Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You don't have to do anything and as others have pointed out, you're within your rights not to support or like LRG or any other publisher. I will tell you as someone who works for a major entertainment company that used to make a signifiant share of its revenue from home video sales and video games that when consumers in large numbers wait for massive discounting or simply lose interest in a product category, that the publishers will either scale back the number of releases or simply get out of the business altogether. That's how business works. When games are discounted, the publisher generally has to give a credit or refund to the distributor who then passes that on to the retailer. Selling you a physical game at $15 makes any profit margin almost non-existent which does have a very real impact on the bottom line of everyone down the line (developer, publisher and retailer) since there are certain fixed costs (packaging, replication, shipping, inventory storage, overhead, etc...) that do not similarly get reduced.
    That's the problem of the publisher. I can't do their cost calculations. It's fourty years since I did at a college-prep school for economics in Germany all kinds of cost calculations even using calculus, and even back then I found it terribly boring. Obviously. Soedesco got it down and they are doing it right, at least they are publishing more and more games and even among them great ones.

I have around ten games by Soedesco on my shelves, for half of them I paid the normal retail price. I consider myself a good and rational customer.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    That's the problem of the publisher. I can't do their cost calculations. It's fourty years since I did at a college-prep school for economics in Germany all kinds of cost calculations even using calculus, and even back then I found it terribly boring. Obviously. Soedesco got it down and they are doing it right, at least they are publishing more and more games and even among them great ones.

I have around ten games by Soedesco on my shelves, for half of them I paid the normal retail price. I consider myself a good and rational customer.
    Sure, but if the publisher goes out of business and nobody picks up the slack, there simply won't be physical releases of certain games. Soedesco may or may not be profitable. All I know is that they have repeatedly delayed their upcoming four releases in the US and I suspect there will be further delays with some of them. They are also more than happy to partner with Play Asia to do a "limited" version of Aerea. As such, Soedesco is engaged in some of the very same profiteering you are complaining about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

LRG's pricing has been explained a few times, but it's essentially the digital price plus $10. That seems reasonable to me for a physical copy of a game with case and cover insert. It's true that there have been a greater proportion above the $25 price point recently, but that's been mostly because they have released some titles that were higher profile from larger developers. With regard to the release schedule, LRG has indicated that they plan to slow it down as soon as they work through the titles they signed for 2017. Personally, I am happy with the twice monthly schedule and would rather they keep up the volume, but I think they understand the market can only sustain so much and the greater number of competitors will eat into their sales going forward.
    Oh thank goodness. And thanks for the info on the $10 hike, as it gives me an idea on how much the release will cost. Will help quite a bit.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not really part of LRG, but what ever happened to the physical version of Mages of Mystralia? The Kickstarter one?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I dunno if there's supposed to be a standalone PC physical release, but LRG is doing the physical PS4 release of Mages of Mystralia, but that can't happen until it's at least out digitally on PSN first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ah ok, thanks.

I paid for the $100 Canadian version of it, which included the game. But since I havent heard anything of it, I was getting worried.

Thanks!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/...08208860266496

Sighs, I just knew they were gonna make it Master System-themed. :/ The game's cover better be reversible because I do not want to look at that ugly tribute to hideous Master System covers. This trend of people being nostalgic for things that are all but objectively bad has got to stop. Just because the Master System was a part of some people's childhoods doesn't make the covers good and sure as hell doesn't mean that people should imitate and pay homage to bad art.

Anyway, LRG announced LawBreakers (PC and PS4) today as well as catalog numbers, print run sizes, release dates, etc. for a number of other releases that are coming fairly soon. Check the opening post for the info. The PC collector's edition of LawBreakers is open to unlimited preorders right now, which will be closed on July 7th, after that day's regular releases go on sale.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^You didn't make a new post about Lawbreakers.

Finally glad to see we got a LRG physical release of Lawbreakers. Preserving online only games that'll be dead within a few months to 10 years has always been a dream of mine. I love collecting games that I can use as drink coasters rather than something I can actually play in the future.(/s)

After all the complaints, LRG is like, well we're not numbering it so you don't have to feel as if you're forced to get it(even LRG knows that people's OCD will force them to buy every single copy to make sure they have a complete set.) But even though this was said, this is still a game that's online only, a game that preserving a physical release is pointless aside from the obvious money grab. LRG states that it's a big release so they'll get more exposure. They've already had random big name releases here and there; Shadow Complex(large publisher,) One Way Heroics(large publisher,) Shantae, Oddworld, Firewatch. The only exposure preserving an online only game will get you is that you're a money grab. Sure, it's from Cliff Bleszinski(Gears, Unreal Tournament) but it's stlll an online only game.

You know how to get more exposure? Stop these shitty money grab releases when you could instead be releasing something else worthwhile.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-01-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    ??? What are you talking about? I mentioned it in my previous post, and I also added its info to the opening post. Other than spreading the news and info for those who do care, I have zero interest in it and have nothing else to say about it. I don't play first-person shooters, and I've never bought any of LRG's PC releases (or any of their unnumbered releases, period). I've also stopped buying their PS4 releases unless it's a game I'm strongly interested in and its only physical release is on PS4 (which, right now, amounts to Wonder Boy being the only PS4 LRG release on the horizon that I'm planning to buy). I'm not gonna buy LawBreakers in any form, not digital nor through LRG.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Finally glad to see we got a LRG physical release of Lawbreakers. Preserving online only games that'll be dead within a few months to 10 years has always been a dream of mine. I love collecting games that I can use as drink coasters rather than something I can actually play in the future.(/s)

After all the complaints, LRG is like, well we're not numbering it so you don't have to feel as if you're forced to get it(even LRG knows that people's OCD will force them to buy every single copy to make sure they have a complete set.) But even though this was said, this is still a game that's online only, a game that preserving a physical release is pointless aside from the obvious money grab. LRG states that it's a big release so they'll get more exposure. They've already had random big name releases here and there; Shadow Complex(large publisher,) One Way Heroics(large publisher,) Shantae, Oddworld, Firewatch. The only exposure preserving an online only game will get you is that you're a money grab. Sure, it's from Cliff Bleszinski(Gears, Unreal Tournament) but it's stlll an online only game.

You know how to get more exposure? Stop these shitty money grab releases when you could instead be releasing something else worthwhile.
    There are plenty of online only games that have had CEs in recent years. Personally, this LE interests me because I was planning on buying the game anyway and for $20 more, you get a nice box and some small items. Clearly it's not for everybody and that's fine. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything and it's obvious you don't like LRG or their business practices, so how about you just go ahead and stop buying from them to put your money where your mouth is? Of course, you won't because you're nothing but a blowhard who likes to complain and not actually use that energy in a way that can create anything positive here or in the world. It's really sad.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There are plenty of online only games that have had CEs in recent years.
    Yeah, and their business model wasn't built off of "preservation of digital only media." Where the hell is the preservation if you can't play it in 20 years.

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything and it's obvious you don't like LRG or their business practices, so how about you just go ahead and stop buying from them to put your money where your mouth is? Of course, you won't because you're nothing but a blowhard who likes to complain and not actually use that energy in a way that can create anything positive here or in the world. It's really sad.
    I'm not buying Lawbreaker or any other LRG that disinterests me, so I am "putting my money where my mouth is." Problem is, it won't do anything, just like people bitch about season passes and day one DLC and nothing is going to ever change. I've never bought day one DLC or season passes, and what do you know, they're still there.

What is this though? After the E3 2017 release of all the games they have coming up, "oh, but those are games they already have under contract." Now they mention Lawbreakers. Let me guess, another game they've already had under contract? LRG isn't so widespread that their bs practices can't be resolved by public outcry, problem is, there's so many apologists that bend over and take it, that would defend these shady and scummy business practices to the death, that this shit may as well be as widespread as the above mentioned day one DLC and season passes, because there's just people who don't want to hear logical reasoning. They've already got the lube ready for next go round.

Hope you're still enjoying that drink coaster 20 years from now. Maybe you can pass it down to one of your children or their children so they can use it as a drink coaster as well.

*edit*

I wasn't going to bother posting about anymore of their bs, because they have a line up of some quality games coming up(including Furi which already released) but then again they pull some bs with Lawbreakers. Also because I don't have any interest in PC I didn't mention it. But not only are they "preserving" an online only game, they're "preserving" the PC version of this online only game with a one time use Steam code, it doesn't even come with a disc Yet you're stilll going to just act like LRG isn't money grabbing with this release.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-02-2017 at 02:12 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, and their business model wasn't built off of "preservation of digital only media." Where the hell is the preservation if you can't play it in 20 years.

I'm not buying Lawbreaker or any other LRG that disinterests me, so I am "putting my money where my mouth is." Problem is, it won't do anything, just like people bitch about season passes and day one DLC and nothing is going to ever change. I've never bought day one DLC or season passes, and what do you know, they're still there.
    What is this though? After the E3 2017 release of all the games they have coming up, "oh, but those are games they already have under contract." Now they mention Lawbreakers. Let me guess, another game they've already had under contract? LRG isn't so widespread that their bs practices can't be resolved by public outcry, problem is, there's so many apologists that bend over and take it, that would defend these shady and scummy business practices to the death, that this shit may as well be as widespread as the above mentioned day one DLC and season passes, because there's just people who don't want to hear logical reasoning. They've already got the lube ready for next go round.

Hope you're still enjoying that drink coaster 20 years from now. Maybe you can pass it down to one of your children or their children so they can use it as a drink coaster as well.

*edit*

I wasn't going to bother posting about anymore of their bs, because they have a line up of some quality games coming up(including Furi which already released) but then again they pull some bs with Lawbreakers. Also because I don't have any interest in PC I didn't mention it. But not only are they "preserving" an online only game, they're "preserving" the PC version of this online only game with a one time use Steam code, it doesn't even come with a disc Yet you're stilll going to just act like LRG isn't money grabbing with this release.
    Their business model is selling limited runs of things, including soundtracks and while a big part of their appeal and mission is to preserve physical copies of formerly digital only releases, it's certainly their right to expand the scope of their offerings if and when they decide to do so. Moreover, consumers have a choice to buy this or not to buy it which is always a positive thing. Are you saying consumers shouldn't have more choices? Like I said, nobody is forcing you or anyone else to buy this or anything they sell. They don't run a blind subscription model or require you to buy this or any other release to have the right to buy the next release.

Are you saying that if you had a small niche company and one of the bigger developers out there gave you the opportunity to raise your profile by giving you an exclusive on their next big release and that developer also happened to be a personal hero to you and a local company that you would pass? Do you bitch when Fangamer or Indiebox or Iam8Bit or any other similar company sells merchandise for games that they don't make available physically? I mean it's kind of ironic that you keep mentioning Furi because on the PC, it requires Steam and Indiebox is essentially selling a PC version physically that will similarly be useless if the servers ever go down. Are they just money grabbing or are they providing another choice that consumers are free to embrace or not embrace?

Honestly, your arguments and attacks on Limited Run Games make no sense at all. Some people like myself are interested in owning some physical manifestation of digital games even if for a game like this it's not really possible to own a physical copy of the game that will be playable in perpetuity. It's clearly not for everyone but it's not your right to tell me or anyone else what I can or shouldn't buy. It's not like LRG giving people one more option harms you or anyone else in any way. If you had any moral backbone, you'd stop buying their stuff completely. Of course, you won't do that because you don't have really have any valid reason to do so and because deep down you know you're just trolling for the sake of trolling. You're either jealous of their success or unable to control your collecting urges so instead you lash out anonymously which is sad for you and a waste of time for the rest of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I agree. No reason to lash out.

At this point, LRG has grown considerably and releases upwards of six games a month. That's a lot of money to be spending on physical copies of games I mostly already own, so frankly I'm glad when they put out games I'm not interested in, and the diversity is great. Many different developers across a wide array of genres, and different tiers of some games. I want Wonderboy 3 physical, but I'm okay with just the game, I don't need that big deluxe version. I'd be pissed off if the ONLY way to get it was to buy that deluxe version -- I have no problem with their current model of doing things.

The only complaint I have against LRG is the cost of shipping. It does and should not cost $15 USD to ship a single videogame from the US to Canada. That's bull, especially since the price is $15 if you buy two games that are on sale at the same time.

If their shipping costs are going to be that way, then I would like them to allow the option for the buyer to request they hold shipping until their next purchase. There have been a few cases already where I'll buy a single game and pay $15 for shipping, and then two weeks later buy another game and again have to pay $15 shipping. I'd like it if they could be shipped together, since the price is the same.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Now they mention Lawbreakers. Let me guess, another game they've already had under contract? LRG isn't so widespread that their bs practices can't be resolved by public outcry
    What does this even mean? While games get canceled for other reasons, I can't think of one example in the entire history of video games where a game has been licensed and announced for release and then later the publisher is like "Because of fan feedback, we're not gonna release this after all". It's not like LRG is developing and releasing LawBreakers themselves. They're working with another company, and once contracts are signed, breaking them could result in lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    If their shipping costs are going to be that way, then I would like them to allow the option for the buyer to request they hold shipping until their next purchase. There have been a few cases already where I'll buy a single game and pay $15 for shipping, and then two weeks later buy another game and again have to pay $15 shipping. I'd like it if they could be shipped together, since the price is the same.
    They do have this, it's just buried at the bottom of their site: https://limitedrungames.com/pages/holding-orders

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Bard's Gold and Rive have been put up for sale. It's also the last day to preorder the PC collector's edition of LawBreakers, if you want to combine that with today's regular releases to save on shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

They do have this, it's just buried at the bottom of their site: https://limitedrungames.com/pages/holding-orders
    Whoa, I didn't know that! But I read it and it seems....super confusing.

From what I understand of that, you have to pay $5.50 USD to have the game(s) shipped from their warehouse to their head office.

But do you also pay for the game(s) when you do this, or do you pay for the game(s) once all games you want are collected at their office?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's just a fake address. They're not actually getting shipped anywhere until the customer makes the request to have everything shipped out to their own address. You'll pay for the games and the domestic shipping rate when each order is placed. I assume when people "purchase" "Ship Items", LRG will either request or refund some of the shipping fees, depending how many orders are being combined. But that's just my guess since I'm located in the US and have never used this. I did use their previous hold system, which, believe it or not, was even more convoluted. You could open a ticket with their customer support if you'd like more definitive answers.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The first batch of Jotun for PS4 is now up for sale. I'm not sure what happened to Lili, since that was originally announced as releasing today too, but the developer of Jotun insisted that the contract have a stipulation stating that Jotun would be the only game for sale on the day it goes up (which is rather arrogant and anti-consumer of them, in my opinion, but what can ya do). Good luck to those trying to keep up with this flood of PS4 games from LRG lately. I'll be sitting out until Oceanhorn and Plague Road on Vita myself.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a reality check:

Jotun was sold out this morning after 5 Minutes (!). The second batch in the the evening sold out after a couple of minutes.

But don't worry if someone of you missed the 5-minute window. These games just don't disappear 'pouf' and are not available anymore. You can still buy Jotun already on ebay for $60 to $90. It already sold from $45 to $90. A wonderful service to gamers from a company which is dedicated to preserve digital-only games and make it easily available to all of us who have the time and money to afford them.

LR hit the nail on its head when they gave us the advice to head over to their website before we pay lots of money on ebay. LR has truly gamers and collectors in mind, no surprise, they are gamers and collectors themselves.

It is very important in this day and age to support a fledgling small company like LR which would face bankruptcy if not for this sales-model and their releases of 7 games in one month. I am very sure they would not be viable anymore like 505 games, THQ Nordic, Soedesco, Rising Star and so many others which are all doomed and hardly sell any games. I have a measly 123 games on my 'to-buy-'list from these smaller publishers which sell their games in a regular fashion, and I own already around 40 of them.

LR, however, in order to survive has to sell their games with the hype about rarity (which appeals to the collector in all of us) and ebay scalping which they considered in their marketing from the getgo.

After LR sold (...out, of course) Rive, Bard's Gold and Jotun this month already, in one week NeuroVoider and Drive! Drive! Drive! will be for sale; and one week later Plague Road and Oceanhorn will be sold. This makes 7 different games this month alone (!), 10 games for two platforms, not considering the pre-order for Lawbreakers.

Sure, you don't have to buy them all, but be aware to get the games you want from LR and not from ebay. Like a well-trained dog you should sit at your laptop at 10am Eastern Time and always be aware of the time! There is no rest for the wicked. Everyone of these numerous games are still unique and will be rare one day! It is like with us human beings: Everyone of us is an individual and unique worldwide, don't worry that this uniqueness applies to all of us individuals which makes us very common and regular editions.

I am very sure that the other small publishers look at LR with admiration. I am very sure the LR-salesmodel does not cut into their business in this niche market for gamers and collectors who all have limited budgets. If the other small publishers will truly discover their altruistic gene, however, we'll soon have hopefully more companies like Limited Run in order to serve us gamers and collectors well. We will be all one happy family getting more digital games on physical discs watching small sales-windows and enjoying ebay scalpers afterwards.

It is still up to us which games we buy and where we buy it, so no one is restrained in their freedom and restricted in their choices. It is a great service overall which outweighs small pittiful disadvantages; and if we have all these choices, who dares to be critical about the LR-salesmodel since we are not forced to buy anything? If a lot of gamers and ebay scalpers buy these games and make LR a success and ebay scalpers happy we'll soon have a number of smaller developers following in the LR-footsteps. All will be good.
    Last edited by lendelin; 07-15-2017 at 12:17 AM.