Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I actually liked the first Pixel Junk Monsters, but for $39.99? No way. It's not that good, I'll just stick to the first one on my PSP. Also, the deluxe edition is being sold on PSN and will get all DLC as well for only $21.99 yet the LRG version is $18 more? Seriously? It's a bit ridiculous how much LRG out prices just about every other indie publisher on the market and hasn't had backlash because of the rarity.

"IIt's rare, you can buy the game digitally if you want to play it, physical releases are a luxury." This is all true. Not going to argue with it. But you don't see other publishers being scummy about their pricing. I don't even have to list any other publishers because other publishers are far more competitive with their pricing, far more fair to the fanbase that purchases their games. That, and I've listed many games that were cheaper many times over, publishers that have been paying for the ratings board listings since day one. These publishers didn't cry about having to now pay more licensing fees so they're going to jack up the pricing of all their games in the near future. Most of these publishers price the games the exact same price that they sell for digitally, not $10, $15, sometimes even $25 more as there are digital games that they've released $5 or less but their minimum of $25 rule still had them out price most other indie publishers.

"But LRG isn't as big as those publishers. The risk! THE RISK!!!!!!!!" I've heard it said here often. What risk? LRG knows the games will sell in 30 seconds or less. If they don't, then a week, but the games will sell out regardless. Any risk of not completely selling out is compensated for the amount the game is overpriced and the amount they're actually making off the top. Some of this goes to the devs, some goes to Sony, but they sell it from their own store front, they're the publisher and the retailer so make both profits that would normally be split.

Hell, Kemco is releasing a collection of four of their RPGs in Japan for less than the cost of the LRG releases of the same titles. These are some of the games that LRG has already released and as a collection, Kemco is pricing them less than LRG single releases. After seeing this, I'm betting the licensing for the really cheap games is in LRG favor, so there's no reason their pricing should be so high.

Also, the ESRB rating fee is what, $3000? But they're going to increase the price of each game by $5 when they do it in the near future? What about those games that have more than 3000 copies sold, which is just about everything. So we're not just paying the ESRB fee, we're paying an additional $4 on top of that. LRG uses the ESRB fee as an excuse, but it's an easy way to screw us out of even more money while the people blind to their greed keep throwing money at the computer screen like there's no tomorrow.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-15-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.