Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1249

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Did anyone else know about a Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection coming out for PS4/switch/steam before they plucked down nearly the same amount for just Samurai Shodown V Special?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/202...intendo_switch

I think I learned a lesson here about being cautious of the titles that are oddly split up and sold seperately like this. The collection actually has Samurai Shodown V Special as well as Perfect on it.

Now with the blaster master releases coming up soon, I have no choice but to wonder whether these will come bundled and released at retail. It's getting more difficult to buy games new these days because it seems like you get better versions of the same thing not too long afterwards. Just seeing others' thoughts, as I didn't know about a collection previously (other than for PSP and PS2).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Did anyone else know about a Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection coming out for PS4/switch/steam before they plucked down nearly the same amount for just Samurai Shodown V Special?

I think I learned a lesson here about being cautious of the titles that are oddly split up and sold seperately like this. The collection actually has Samurai Shodown V Special as well as Perfect on it.

Now with the blaster master releases coming up soon, I have no choice but to wonder whether these will come bundled and released at retail. It's getting more difficult to buy games new these days because it seems like you get better versions of the same thing not too long afterwards. Just seeing others' thoughts, as I didn't know about a collection previously (other than for PSP and PS2).
    Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2 are both $10 each while LRG is charging $30 for each of them. So much for the "we never charge more than $10 over the digital price except our minimum of $25."

The thing is, is that we know it's possible to do many of these releases as compilations as most other publishers will either develop a UI to select between each game or just allow each game to be downloaded individually on the console. For example, if you've ever played The Banner Saga, when going to the game, the game actually has you go down and then select which title that you want to play from PSN itself as all three games are on the disc without any additional UI.

LRG is the literal representation of greed. They delete information that they've once said, they'll call out and straight up lie about other publishers, constantly make false claims, they overprice their games by absurd amounts, release severely unpatched games to get the games out asap, etc to fulfill their agenda; getting as much money as possible regardless of any claims they've made when they initially started their business. If there was any other way to get these games then I'd purchase from anywhere else, but when it's perceived that they're the only ones we can get the games from, we're stuck.

The worst part about it is they do all this bs while it's a limited retail release so they get you by FOMO. If it's a game you're interested in, you can't expect it to come out from anywhere but them. It's even worse when they've started putting into their contracts threats of legal action if developers or third party publishers release information about releasing the same game before LRG finishes their preorders. To put it nicely, LRG has some of the scummiest business practices in the industry. I'd say they're the Nordic Games of the budget indie publishers. I use Nordic Games as a reference as they're another company I dislike that happens to get publishing rights to some games I'm really interested in, then pushes out the game incomplete with bugs and glitches out the a**.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-30-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The whole +$10 thing only applied when they were solely releasing Vita and PS4 games (well, and a PC game once in a blue moon). When they first started doing Switch games, they were pretty forthcoming about how they'd be more expensive and that platform variants of Switch games would have price parity. Granted, there's the price hike on Kemco RPGs, which has nothing to do with the Switch. Ever since LRG canceled some of the Vita Kemco releases, they've charged more for the PS4 Kemco releases to make up for the lost revenue, which is pretty crappy, in my opinion.

The fact they prey upon FOMO sucks, but the consumer has to take some personal responsibility there. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy LRG's releases. I went from buying literally everything LRG was selling at the very beginning to not buying anything from them since December, and I sold off a ton of games I had bought from them. People should buy stuff from LRG because they want what they have to offer, not because they can't get a grip on their own obsessive-compulsive collecting, where they're buying stuff just to temporarily placate their anxiety over possibly missing something. Besides, LRG releases don't vanish into thin air after they're sold out. On top of being available digitally, LRG and their copycats have flooded the market with so many of these types of releases that most don't command much, if any, of a premium secondhand. You can often buy a copy of a game that's still sealed for no more, if not less, than what LRG charged (+ their shipping fee and tax). Heck, I've had some LRG releases listed for months where I'm only trying to break even on them, and they still haven't sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm not really mad about the Samurai Shodown thing. I will either leave it sealed off to the side or sell it when it comes in. It's no worse than buying a game and finding out you don't like it. I am going to be very picky when they release the SNK games going forward though, no big deal. I have always just bought what I actually want from LRG and have never really bought everything they released. I saw the rabbit hole that full set collecting would entail way before they had weekly releases.

In my opinion, these are the things you need to have in mind and be OK with or be mindful of when doing business with LRG, and some things apply to many other retail businesses as well. I am OK with these things, so that's why I choose to do business with LRG):

-Shipping will take a long time
    -I am not any more special than any other customer of theirs, no matter how long I've been a customer, or how much I've spent
    -A better or cheaper version of the same game may get released in the future (from anyone)
    -The game you buy will not always appreciate in value
    -You may have to miss out on some things
    -The LRG of today may not be the same LRG of tomorrow

I don't get too emotionally involved with LRG or their games. I am a fan; nothing more, nothing less. I am a fan enough that I traveled to their popup shop, and make purchases from them at PAX East when I go. Not enough of one to get mad if I miss out on stuff, or if they do things I don't agree with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Blaster Master Zero 2 DLC announced. You know LRG had to be aware of this, but hey, it's LRG, let's jump on the game asap to sell the games as two separate titles since there are other publishers who might develop and sell it as a collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh no, now I'll have to pay $1.99 extra for the DLC minigame. How could you, Limited Run Games, HOW COULD YOU?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    Oh no, now I'll have to pay $1.99 extra for the DLC minigame. How could you, Limited Run Games, HOW COULD YOU?!
    My thoughts exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post

Annoyed,LRG got the rights to do this i rather have snk sold it at retail directly like the japanese release is getting.I still want a physical copy so i may just buy the asian or the japanese version instead.
    https://www.play-asia.com/samurai-sh...uage/13/70diut

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, the whole LRG concept is good for games that had no chance of getting a traditional physical run, but it's disappointing seeing companies like SNK, Sega, Square Enix, XSEED, Idea Factory International, etc. go that route when they really could handle manufacturing and distributing copies themselves.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Annoyed,LRG got the rights to do this i rather have snk sold it at retail directly like the japanese release is getting.I still want a physical copy so i may just buy the asian or the japanese version instead.
    https://www.play-asia.com/samurai-sh...uage/13/70diut
    It's already been confirmed that there will be a standard retail release without LRG being involved.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, the whole LRG concept is good for games that had no chance of getting a traditional physical run, but it's disappointing seeing companies like SNK, Sega, Square Enix, XSEED, Idea Factory International, etc. go that route when they really could handle manufacturing and distributing copies themselves.
    Why pay to distribute your own games when another company would be willing to pay those costs for you? It's just as much a problem with LRG accepting these companies rather than sticking to small companies that really can't publish their own games. Of course LRG is just focussed on making money, the collector market is just a niche they're wanting to exploit rather than serve towards and help.

I'm just looking through their site for the first time in awhile and there's so many variants for the same game, just different cover art or slightly different bundles. It's really difficult to look through with how the listings are organized as it all blends together. I don't see titles for the games unless I hover my mouse over them, it's otherwise difficult to read from the boxes as the art is so busy. They do organize the releases by system too, but the oldest releases are first and the most recent ones are on the last page, I don't get why it's set up this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's already been confirmed that there will be a standard retail release without LRG being involved.
    That's good to know i'm gonna pass on the collectors edition then for samurai shodown.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

All businesses are created for the purpose of turning a profit. That doesn't mean they're all exploitative. People who make, publish, distribute, etc. video games need to put roofs over their heads and food on their tables too. If we held gaming to some sort of purity test where games were created and distributed for free, without a focus on making money, then the average quality of games would only go down because they'd be made by amateurs who do it on the side when they're not working to make a living.

I don't blame LRG at all for accepting these partnerships. It would be stupid for them to turn down publishers with name recognition and games they know will sell well. It's not a scenario at all unique to LRG either. For example, Square Enix is using Strictly Limited Games to distribute games under the Taito brand. These publishers can and have in the past easily absorbed the cost of creating and distributing smaller runs for their releases that are more niche, and when they do it themselves, they don't have to split the profits with these LRG-style companies. I think the main motivation is that, because these games are sold for a limited time when using a company with a business model like LRG's, they can better ensure quickly selling through the whole stock at whatever price was set. If you distribute via GameStop, Amazon, etc., you're at the mercy of however many copies these retailers want to order, and the game very well may see markdowns. On top of that, you have companies like GameStop selling used copies, so that eats into the sales potential of new copies. But how consumer-friendly a company is can affect sales too, especially long-term. As a consumer, I much prefer games to see wide releases when at all possible. That way I have multiple options in terms of where I can buy a game, and I can do so at my leisure, without worrying about being on a specific site at a specific date and time. Even the one-month preorder windows that LRG does for many of their releases these days is pretty limited compared to going on Amazon and ordering a game that was released months or even years ago. I wish these bigger companies would put more stock into how consumer-friendly their distribution models are.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I wish these bigger companies would put more stock into how consumer-friendly their distribution models are.
    That's really the main thing, I want things better for consumers. As it is with LRG releases they're only available from one source at whatever pricing they decide on for a very limited time, it's not as flexible as items available through traditional retail channels, or at least multiple online sources.

Just looking now, Fan Gamer is still selling boxed copies of Thimbleweed Park for PC. I still haven't played it but I bought a copy over 2 years ago, and it's still available for sale which I find pretty impressive. Not all merchandise produced for the game is still available, but the game itself still is. And the website isn't hideous to look through.

As for how businesses are run, I would suggest looking into the history of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream for a comparison. Even just to look into as a piece of interest(as I found it interesting). They didn't just focus on profits, they also focussed on social responsibility. They still wanted to make money, just not as much money as absolutely possible if they'd have to compromise on their values. I don't get that feeling from LRG, it feels like they just want to make as much money as they possibly can. Even though LRG is a small company it feels soulless like any giant corporation.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I feel LRG has some values. I don't question that the founders are gamers and collectors themselves, and I do believe they try to offer products they themselves would want. The only problem is that many of the things they value as collectors are the aspects of collecting I've always found dumb and annoying. For example, some people loved collecting all the different disc art variants of Working Designs games, but I find variants pointless, and I think they just prey upon obsessive-compulsive collecting tendencies, which then leaves fewer copies to go around for those of us who just want a single copy. For another example, some collectors like limited editions to be as big and showy as possible, but I find that gaudy and woudl rather have an LE that's as compact as the contents allow (preferably in a size that matches other LEs for the same platform) and respects the limited space that many people have in their homes. I know at least one of the LRG guys is also really big on collecting sealed games, so they also try to cater to people who do the same (by allowing people to buy two copies even of games with extremely small print runs, just so the sealed collectors can have one to open and one to keep sealed), but again that leaves fewer copies to go around for people who just want one.

The funny thing about LRG's site is that we know they're capable of having drop-down menus on items, like when they sold NES copies of GALF, where you could select either white or green for the cartridge shell, yet when they have these games available on multiple platforms, with multiple different versions of each (standard, LE, bundled with extra items, etc.), they don't bother to condense it all into one page with a drop-down to select which version of the game you want. But it kind of feels like they're just listing things in that manner out of habit. It was fine when they had fewer items for sale at a time, but now they have a bunch of stuff available simultaneously at basically all times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have to give it to LRG. It looks like I am set to receive my PS4 copy of streets of rage tomorrow. With the announcement of the retail releases, I wonder if they wanted to make sure that LRG customers wouldn't have to wait too long. I hear they are also including a bonus soundtrack. I was fine ordering the LRG copy even without the bonus and quicker shipping. I hear a lot of flak about the cover art for the game, but that isn't even something that had crossed my mind until I heard other people mention it. In fact I still don't mind the cover art.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Well LRG had there digital event recently.

By the way i did get my copy of sor4 recently from lrg for switch.For what i'm interested in are these games.

Bloodstain Curse of the Moon 2
    Mighty Volt Gunburst
    Grandia HD Collection
    Castlevania Anniversary Collection
    Shantae,hey i all ways wanted a copy without paying for what scalpers want for a original.
    Garou MOTW,if this is the codemystic release then great they went back to the game and put in rollback for the netcode.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There's also this text list if anyone wants to see the lineup at a quick glance: https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/lrg3-2020

I'm glad Papers, Please is finally coming out of limbo. It's ridiculous how long LRG is sitting on these last couple Vita games.

That I'll definitely pick up, but I'm also leaning toward getting Curse of the Moon 2, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, and Shantae. I still don't have a Switch, so I guess I'd go with PS4 for the first two. I'd much rather play Curse of the Moon 2 on my Vita, like the first one, but even if they did a digital release, a Western physical release for Vita is obviously impossible at this point. I don't care too much about platform for the Castlevania collection. I want it more just because I'm such a big fan of the franchise (even met my husband through our mutual love of the series) than for playing purposes. I already have carts of all the games on the collection and would be more inclined to pull those out for playing through the games, though I am interested in seeing what, if any, localization work they did on Kid Dracula. With Shantae, I'd love to own the original, but I too am not about to pay the insane prices. I've be thinking for a while that I'd settle on the Virtual Console version on 3DS, but if I can get a legit copy (albeit only half-licensed) I can pop into my GBA SP, that'd be better yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll be picking up Grandia, Castlevania, Bloodstained, and Mummy Demastered.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, the sale of Papers, Please for Vita yesterday was an absolute disaster. The first batch sold out in what appeared to be less than 90 seconds and the second in what appeared to be less than 60, and with the queue they stick you in, only a fraction of that was available for actually completing checkout. I did everything as I always did, which had never failed me thus far, and I literally couldn't go through the pages any faster (and this is on a high-speed connection), and yet I still got the sold out message mid-checkout on both attempts. My five year streak of buying literally every Vita release from LRG, down the toilet, when there were only two games remaining, no less. Even though they've talked about rewarding Vita full setters with a free game after these last two games, loyalty clearly means nothing to LRG because they made no attempt to ensure that the Vita collectors who have been supporting them since the very beginning with Breach & Clear could get a copy of this. Every copy of Papers, Please that they included in blind boxes back on New Years should be going to their loyal customers who missed out yesterday, but LRG cared more about clearing out their stock of less desirable Vita games. Unfortunately, I don't imagine Papers, Please is going to be among the LRG titles that don't sell for much of any markup on eBay.