Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1249

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hope everybody in the US had a nice Thanksgiving. LRG is participating in Black Friday as well, so today, they're selling Cosmic Star Heroine for Switch, Butcher for PS4, and Race the Sun for both PS4 and Vita. They'll also be putting up some leftovers from previous releases throughout the day, but they're saving the majority of their leftovers for New Years.

Just a Vita Race the Sun for me, though it doesn't look especially exciting of a game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I didn't buy any LRG black friday games, but I got so many great deals on gaming stuff at Target, Best Buy, and Gamestop. I now have my Salt & Sanctuary in transit, and the oldest order I have unfulfilled is 8-Bit Adventure. That looks so much better than the backlog of games that were unfulfilled dating back to July.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks. I had a good Thanksgiving, also decided to go back on what I said and didn't pick up any LRG that week, just picked up Fox and Forests and that one SNES remake, then picked up nine other games following up to and including Black Friday.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

What do all suppose the upcoming "surprise" PS4 release is going to be?
    I was hoping for Game Paradise, but they're saying "This is one of the most well-known games we have ever released."

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

* (producing physical copies of download games)

all games, even physical ones, are digital, it's just 1's and 0's, whether stored on disc, rom chips, downloaded from the ether, analog games don't really exist. maybe Laseractive, but I only allow that possibility because laserDISC is analog (vs say CD or DVD that is all digital)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You're not wrong, but colloquially, video game releases these days are generally referred to as physical or digital. When a game has no physical release, it's referred to as "digital-only". I've never heard anyone refer to games without a physical release as "download games" or "download-only".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    all games, even physical ones, are digital, it's just 1's and 0's, whether stored on disc, rom chips, downloaded from the ether, analog games don't really exist)
    Some of the first video games were entirely analog. Tennis For Two for example
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, the big mystery game turned out to be Jak and Daxter. The first batch of its CE is already sold out, but standard copies are still available. Same deal with Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for Switch. They're also selling Headlander for PS4 today.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Another surprise, last-minute announcement from LRG, but thank goodness, it's a totally open preorder this time. Starting at 10am Eastern today, they'll be selling Sigil for PC for the next two weeks. Even the CE version of it is an open preorder.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

LRG is selling Windjammers for Switch today, in both standard and CE form, along with a bunch of merch, and Rain World for PS4. Today is also the last day for ordering the Switch version of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Passed on shantae and the pirates curse since i have a copy for the PS4 all ready.Thinking about,maybe for a buy on windjammers though for switch since i skipped the physical for PS4.Last few orders i did get from LRG were phantom breaker,bastion and golf story.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Happy New Year, everybody! As usual, LRG is doing a blowout sale today (of the small quantities they reserve for replacements and such), so if you missed some older releases, you may get another shot at picking them up. They're also selling Celeste for both PS4 and Switch, with open preorders for standard copies and finite quantities on the CE. And there's a whole bunch of Celeste merch available too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Happy New Year, everybody! As usual, LRG is doing a blowout sale today (of the small quantities they reserve for replacements and such), so if you missed some older releases, you may get another shot at picking them up.
    This sale made me take notice of a couple games I passed-up upon their initial release.
    Thankfully I thought to check what their availability was on eBay. I ended up getting Senko no Ronde and Super Hydorah at each roughly $25 less, brand new, than buying from LRG. And a couple weeks before, I got Ace of Seafood new for less than it sells for on LRG.
    It seems the fever for their products has diminished significantly.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    This sale made me take notice of a couple games I passed-up upon their initial release.
    Thankfully I thought to check what their availability was on eBay. I ended up getting Senko no Ronde and Super Hydorah at each roughly $25 less, brand new, than buying from LRG. And a couple weeks before, I got Ace of Seafood new for less than it sells for on LRG.
    It seems the fever for their products has diminished significantly.
    Not really. They sold out of Celeste CEs in minutes yesterday and Jak and Daxter is already selling for hundreds on Ebay. It pays to shop around and certainly some titles can be found for below MSRP, but the market is really all over the place depending on the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Sure, but I bet there will be CE Celestes on eBay a year from now for less than what they cost from LRG.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Sure, but I bet there will be CE Celestes on eBay a year from now for less than what they cost from LRG.
    Unlikely. It's a critically acclaimed game with a rabid fanbase that buys game-related merchandise and the print run on both CE versions was miniscule. The LRG stuff that drops below MSRP is typically really niche stuff that tends to be available for a few bucks on various platforms digitally and doesn't have much of a fan base.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Today, LRG is selling NeuroVoider for Vita and Sundered for PS4, and preorders for Danmaku Unlimited 3 for Switch have opened. It's also the last day to preorder Windjammers for Switch.

I bought a copy of NeuroVoider myself. It's my first LRG order since November. Hopefully LRG will get to shipping more stuff soon because for a little while it seemed like they were hammering out unfulfilled orders, only for things to go quiet once the holidays approached. I'm down to seven unfulfilled orders (though I combined three into one order), of eight games total, not counting NeuroVoider, and I hope that number won't just keep increasing through January.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just got Sundered today and got some blind boxes on the first. With that, I am back to having 7 unfilled orders going back to October. I checked the production updates page and it looks like there are a lot of games coming in this month (supposedly). I saw on the LRG forums that they mentioned that it is critical that they improve ship times and responding to open tickets. About a month ago, they took a pic of all the items they have on hand that are currently shipping and sent an e-mail out. One of them was 8-bit adventure and I still haven't gotten a ship notice for it.

If this was my workplace, we would be required to fill out paperwork for each and every time a customer made an official complaint about things taking too long to ship. It would then need to be approved by the quality department and investigations would have to take place in order to correct the situation (everything all with due dates attach to them). If anybody were to say things like "it's on the manufacturer, not us" or "it's out of our control" during all this....it would mean even more investigations and paperwork, and chances are that those excuses would only work once before they would start questioning your employment. Of course that's the difference between working in the bio-pharmaceutical industry versus the gaming industry. I know I'm kinda of ranting here about the ship times, but I do like LRG and what they do. I see how LRG conduct themselves sometimes and I can tell you that if it were my place of employment, there would have been major changes taking place before they would be synonymous for 6+ month wait times.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Same, I bought the 8-bit Adventure Anthology all by itself, saw that they received it a while ago, and still nothing. So much for that shipping in mid-December. Everything just gets bumped and bumped and bumped. I'm sure many of those games supposedly shipping this month with get bumped to February, and maybe even beyond. And then there's my Another World CE which is getting held up for frickin' blank floppies, of all things. I don't even know how many weeks it's said "This should not take much longer to arrive." for that.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I just got Sundered today and got some blind boxes on the first. With that, I am back to having 7 unfilled orders going back to October. I checked the production updates page and it looks like there are a lot of games coming in this month (supposedly). I saw on the LRG forums that they mentioned that it is critical that they improve ship times and responding to open tickets. About a month ago, they took a pic of all the items they have on hand that are currently shipping and sent an e-mail out. One of them was 8-bit adventure and I still haven't gotten a ship notice for it.

If this was my workplace, we would be required to fill out paperwork for each and every time a customer made an official complaint about things taking too long to ship. It would then need to be approved by the quality department and investigations would have to take place in order to correct the situation (everything all with due dates attach to them). If anybody were to say things like "it's on the manufacturer, not us" or "it's out of our control" during all this....it would mean even more investigations and paperwork, and chances are that those excuses would only work once before they would start questioning your employment. Of course that's the difference between working in the bio-pharmaceutical industry versus the gaming industry. I know I'm kinda of ranting here about the ship times, but I do like LRG and what they do. I see how LRG conduct themselves sometimes and I can tell you that if it were my place of employment, there would have been major changes taking place before they would be synonymous for 6+ month wait times.
    You're comparing a company that is presumably a major corporation dealing in potentially life and death for its customers with a small business run by a couple of gamer/collectors. They seem keenly aware of the issue and I have personally been receiving a couple of boxes a week from them for most of the past two months. The reality is that publishing games is tricky and there are a lot of third party elements including approvals and replication that are simply out of the hands of the publisher. I mean I can't tell you how many niche games I preordered on Amazon this Fall that were delayed by months or have been delayed into 2019. Sure, Amazon doesn't make you pay up front, but it does illustrate that even large companies have trouble delivering niche games on a set schedule. I think everyone can agree that the delays are a problem, but if the alternative is not to have some of these games see physical release, I would be happy to live with the delays every time.