Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
Based on what you've said, LRG isn't about making money, or about making their customers happy. It's about existing for the sake of continuing to exist. That really is a unique business model.

In more practical terms to ensure not overproducing a print run, the best way would be to set up a preorder type system. Orders are left open for a limited time, and the number of paid orders they get would dictate the size of the print run they make. The way it's set up now there's still more of a risk of potentially overproducing copies. Even limiting the collector's version to a small number while not strictly limiting the regular version would make more sense. But that's not the best way of artificially inflating value and demand now is it.
That's literally not what I said as is very clear from what you quoted me as saying. To repeat, they are about releasing games physically that wouldn't get a physical release otherwise and building a successful business that continues to allow them to do that. As others very accurately pointed out, the limited nature of the releases allows them to sell out and continue to release more games. They make profits based on short term volume over numerous releases, not long term sales of fewer titles. LRG is by far the most successful niche publisher in modern history and they seem to understand what's in the best interest of their business. I can understand potential buyers being frustrated with some aspects of their business, but with some minimal effort, it's usually pretty easy to buy their releases. If it's too much work for you or if you just don't care, that's cool too because you can always buy the same games often for far less digitally or not at all.