Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Is anyone else anxious for Night Trap today? I'm just going to go for a standard copy as I just want the game. I know it'll sell out fast, but I am confident. Last week with Wonderboy, I failed buying the CE and reverted back to the standard and was still able to purchase it. That was even after wasting time trying to get the CE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'm a bit scared. But I will hope for the best.

I really don't understand why they said "TWO PER CUSTOMER" on the basic release of Night Trap. That will make things harder.

I'm starting to believe that they indeed to cater to scalpers...

Oh, and look at this!

https://limitedrungames.com/products...ay-mega-bundle

No way I'm getting that.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Managed to get The Bunker AND Night Trap CE. It was terribly slow and they took out the Amazon CHeckout option. Bastards.

It was very, very slow at checkout. I was so scared.

Anyone get theirs?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I got my standard edition because I didn't want to risk possibly wasting time with the CE and missing out on the standard. I also decided to get Bunker as well in a separate transaction.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can't be that the salesmodel of Limited Run is tailored towards ebay scalpers! The owners are way too honest and decent to do that! Their sales do not take into account outrageous ebay prices nor do they use ebay scalping to sell their games.

Quote Limited Run: "The standard version of the game sold out several weeks ago and is already fetching several times the original retail price on secondary markets. (...) - head over to our site now and grab a copy!"

Result 1:

Night Trap lasted 90 seconds, the CE of Night Trap even less. It is impossible to buy both sperately in one sitting because you have to count the seconds. Even ten seconds to login to Paypal counts, if you are 30 seconds too late, it is too late already. How convenient, how easy, how effortless shopping can be nowadays. The Bunker was even up an entire hour! ONE HOUR! Incredible, I mean you can't ask for a better service!

It is also impossible to do it another way without the limited production numbers and rarity hype! Why? Because the owners of Limited Run would otherwise "sink our company and our developers, endanger our livelihood." And don't forget: "Atari crashed the industry by overprinting. There isn't unlimited demand for this stuff."

You don't want the industry to crash again, do you? We would end up with another R.O.B.!

Result 2:

Great ebay prices. If you didn't get it by now or if you won't get it tonight with the second batch (every second will count again!!), you can always conveniently get it on ebay. It is terrible that some critics act like these games disappear, they are always effortlessly and conveniently available on secondary markets.

One hour after the sale started:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p+ps4&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIGHT-TRAP-C...oAAOSw5JJZjbrF

You know, slowly I think we all deserve Limited Run Games! What a great company! Slickness and snake oil salesmethods always prevail.
    Last edited by lendelin; 08-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    My point stands, if people just want to play this game now and well into the conceivable future, there is a lower cost and unlimited option available to them. If they want a physical copy, LRG is available to them with minimal effort.
    So, it's a collectible, and 20 years later when developer-supported means of obtaining the games have probably dropped off, we're back to where we are now. Pay the 3+ figure collector price or else SORRY SOME OF US AREN'T WELL-OFF ENOUGH TO DO THAT hope piracy is an option.
    (I want my games legit as much as possible but hell if I was going to pay a flipper $200, loose, for Surprise at Dinosaur Peak in roughly 2009, let alone $1000 or whatever now.
    Say the game was originally $49.99 in 1994, even in 2009 that was nearly 3x the original MSRP (inflation adjusted to about $72). I don't think anyone but someone primarily concerned on the resale value would say that's a fair price to play the thing.)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are the completed ebay-listings of Night Trap three hours after the sale started and two hours and 58 minutes after the sale ended:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvS..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

What a terrible, completely unnecessary salesmodel! Everyone with a minimum of common sense saw this coming when 'Limited Run Games' was founded. The owners factored this in from the beginning hyping their games as 'future rarest releases on the PS4' and put pressure on gamers and collectors by referring to ebay scalpers. These ebay prices are NOT an unintended and unfortunate by-product of the demand for these games, they are the direct and desired result of the salesmodel.

85% (!!) of the entire published Limited Run games (not counting the recent ones of the last couple of weeks) are sold on ebay with a profit margin of 40% to 600% over retail price. They are the intended paradise of ebay scalpers.

Just a reality check for those who adamanty defend the LR- salesmodel like they would work as PR-spokespersons for this company. For a long time these facts, the ebay prices, were denied and belittled, so were the small sales-windows, and the nonsense-level of the justifications of this salesmodel are up the roof.

Other small publishers which are in the same growing niche market, with the same organizational structures, with very similar products and the same target audience as Limited Run can make a profit with normal salesmethods benefitting gamers and collectors! Why can't Limited Run? Why can't these two self-proclaimed gamers and collectors sell their games like other small publishers and give up selling games in a way which is disadvantegous for gamers and collectors in every aspect? Might greed associated with mimimizing risk for the company at the cost of gamers be the answer?

I admit, however, that LR was right and honest in this regard: "The standard version of the game sold out several weeks ago and is already fetching several times the original retail price on secondary markets. (...) - head over to our site now and grab a copy!"

...or they might regret this slip in their email in the meantime. (?)

Now the adamant defenders of this terrible salesmodel claim that they were always aware of how and why Limited Run sells their games this way. Why then did they deny and belittle the consequences of this salesmodel for a long time and ignored the fact that other smaller publishers which sell indie-games on physical discs do very well?
    Last edited by lendelin; 08-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have faith that emulation and digital distribution is only going to get better. PSN has existed for over a decade now, and people who bought, say, digital PSP games back when that handheld was alive still have them tied to their accounts and can download them for play on Vita now. So while games occasionally get pulled from the marketplace (and sometime added back later), I think most are just going to pass from generation to generation, so people can keep playing their digital games on their older platforms or put them on newer platforms too. So even though I have a strong preference for physical releases, that preference isn't motivated by fear of digital games being lost.

There are always going to be physical releases that are rare and/or in high demand in every generation that will then get very expensive. No way to prevent that, not unless only AAA games get physical print runs, in massive quantities. There are definitely some older games that I accept I'll probably never own because I refuse to pay the going rate. I'll settle for an official digital release if available (that's how I bought Tron Bonne and Dynastic Hero in English, and I'll probably get Earthbound that way eventually too), and if there is no way to officially buy a game digitally and show my support to the developer/publisher, then I have no qualms about turning to emulation. It's not like a publisher is going to make any money if I go on eBay right now and buy some expensive retro game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I have faith that emulation and digital distribution is only going to get better. PSN has existed for over a decade now, and people who bought, say, digital PSP games back when that handheld was alive still have them tied to their accounts and can download them for play on Vita now. So while games occasionally get pulled from the marketplace (and sometime added back later), I think most are just going to pass from generation to generation, so people can keep playing their digital games on their older platforms or put them on newer platforms too. So even though I have a strong preference for physical releases, that preference isn't motivated by fear of digital games being lost.
    I love that you can play PSP games on the Vita, however, you can't play PS3 games on anything other than a PS3. If Sony would release an emulator on the PS3 to play PSN PS3 games, that would be excellent. Also, you can backup Vita and PS4 PSN games on a PC or HDD, but you can't do that on the PS3. So unless someone finds a way to extract the executable AND play it on a PC or another console, PS3 PSN games will just die with the PS3. And that would suck real bad.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I didn't even bother trying to get Night Trap. I mean sure, I could buy the game then resell it for $75 in profit for an hours worth of workk, but that's not me, I won't buy a game just to resell it. That one copy either went to a reseller or someone who would have missed it otherwise.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    These are the completed ebay-listings of Night Trap three hours after the sale started and two hours and 58 minutes after the sale ended:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvS..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

What a terrible, completely unnecessary salesmodel! Everyone with a minimum of common sense saw this coming when 'Limited Run Games' was founded. The owners factored this in from the beginning hyping their games as 'future rarest releases on the PS4' and put pressure on gamers and collectors by referring to ebay scalpers. These ebay prices are NOT an unintended and unfortunate by-product of the demand for these games, they are the direct and desired result of the salesmodel.

85% (!!) of the entire published Limited Run games (not counting the recent ones of the last couple of weeks) are sold on ebay with a profit margin of 40% to 600% over retail price. They are the intended paradise of ebay scalpers.

Just a reality check for those who adamanty defend the LR- salesmodel like they would work as PR-spokespersons for this company. For a long time these facts, the ebay prices, were denied and belittled, so were the small sales-windows, and the nonsense-level of the justifications of this salesmodel are up the roof.

Other small publishers which are in the same growing niche market, with the same organizational structures, with very similar products and the same target audience as Limited Run can make a profit with normal salesmethods benefitting gamers and collectors! Why can't Limited Run? Why can't these two self-proclaimed gamers and collectors sell their games like other small publishers and give up selling games in a way which is disadvantegous for gamers and collectors in every aspect? Might greed associated with mimimizing risk for the company at the cost of gamers be the answer?

I admit, however, that LR was right and honest in this regard: "The standard version of the game sold out several weeks ago and is already fetching several times the original retail price on secondary markets. (...) - head over to our site now and grab a copy!"

...or they might regret this slip in their email in the meantime. (?)

Now the adamant defenders of this terrible salesmodel claim that they were always aware of how and why Limited Run sells their games this way. Why then did they deny and belittle the consequences of this salesmodel for a long time and ignored the fact that other smaller publishers which sell indie-games on physical discs do very well?
    Have you ever personally tried to get a business loan with no collateral? Do you know how much capital it takes to start a retail publishing operation? I'm guessing you've never successfully done much of anything in your life. Well, except maybe to keep repeating the same worthless arguments about why someone else should run their business the way you think they should. Please provide us with proof that any of the indie games publishers selling PS4 games are "doing very well". While you're at it, please explain why Soedesco, THQ Nordic and the others (with the notable exception of Badlands Games) aren't supporting the Vita. The reality is that you don't have answers because the truth is that you're not presenting facts, you're just spinning the same pile of hyperbolic garbage because you have some bizarre personal obsession with LRG. Give it a rest, the overwhelming majority of people in this thread buy LRG games and like what they're doing. All you're doing now is trolling.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    So, it's a collectible, and 20 years later when developer-supported means of obtaining the games have probably dropped off, we're back to where we are now. Pay the 3+ figure collector price or else SORRY SOME OF US AREN'T WELL-OFF ENOUGH TO DO THAT hope piracy is an option.
    (I want my games legit as much as possible but hell if I was going to pay a flipper $200, loose, for Surprise at Dinosaur Peak in roughly 2009, let alone $1000 or whatever now.
    Say the game was originally $49.99 in 1994, even in 2009 that was nearly 3x the original MSRP (inflation adjusted to about $72). I don't think anyone but someone primarily concerned on the resale value would say that's a fair price to play the thing.)
    So, it's not about LRG, it's about the fact that games in general are becoming more popular with collectors and more expensive on the secondary market as a result? That's just the reality when people of a certain age have a lot of disposable income.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have mixed feelings on the LRG "debacles." I was able to get Night Trap last night, but I missed WonderBoy all three times last week. WonderBoy had a little more value to me personally but I ended up ordering the PlayAsia version, which I've grown to like that cover anyway.

I think LRG is closer to financial instability than people realize and I can see why, months ago, it was tough to foresee how the demand for these games would go. WonderBoy had the PA version, for example, and NT hype seems fairly recent in my eyes. In some ways I think they kind of trapped themselves with the philosophy that they will never reprint titles, but it would have also been tough to predict how big they would get and with which games. Most importantly, I think they should do two things: switch from Shopify and/or demand that games be held in carts, and also take care of bots in some manner. The amount of issues that happen with PayPal and Amazon Pay at checkout, out of our control, is frustrating. I believe that bots, not really diligent people who want the game, are beating people out due to these errors.

Yet also it is worth noting that these are just games and most (not all) even have an alternative physical edition. WB standard is already going lower than I expected on eBay and has the PA version. Night Trap has the PC version that still currently has the 45% inventory, and that gets you to the Steam version. I'm under the impression that it has almost no requirements other than free hard drive space so basically every current laptop can play it. Shantae has the 3DS version. I understand that as collectors we can get OCD about particular variants, but you also need to let it go sometimes.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you missed Night Trap, either PM EvilGizmo on the forums or open up a ticket at https://limitedrungames.freshdesk.com/support/home

No guarantee but you might be able to get one of the extra copies.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    So, it's not about LRG, it's about the fact that games in general are becoming more popular with collectors and more expensive on the secondary market as a result? That's just the reality when people of a certain age have a lot of disposable income.
    This.

This is what's happening lately. Also, LRG is getting a plethora of coverage that it used to not have, which makes thinks incredibly harder on the rest of us. For example, just recently I saw CheapAssGamer mention them on Facebook, which never used to happen (or at least I never saw it). Promotions like these increase demand and thus it's harder to get the games.

My solution would be to increase production of certain games. For instance, if Wonderboy and Night Trap had at least 2,000 more units made for the regular or Collector's Edition, perhaps things wouldn't be so negative for the company. The problem is to determine WHICH games need higher print runs, so they can sell out quick but at least give more time for the customer to get them. And not end up being a Law Breakers. Make the games last...perhaps...15 minutes? That would be great for the most of us and for it's existing fanbase.

Does anyone have a list of release dates and titles to be available for LRG?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My opening post should be pretty complete as far as upcoming games and their release dates go. If something's not there, it probably hasn't been announced yet.

Supposedly LRG is going to do something "creative" with Ys Origin to better ensure that everyone who wants a copy can get one. What exactly that entails I don't know. I just wish that, now that "FMV Friday" is out of the way, they'll finally announce the mystery Japanese RPG that's supposed to sell alongside Ys. I don't plan on buying Lili or N++ either, so that's what I'm waiting on.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    My opening post should be pretty complete as far as upcoming games and their release dates go. If something's not there, it probably hasn't been announced yet.

Supposedly LRG is going to do something "creative" with Ys Origin to better ensure that everyone who wants a copy can get one. What exactly that entails I don't know. I just wish that, now that "FMV Friday" is out of the way, they'll finally announce the mystery Japanese RPG that's supposed to sell alongside Ys. I don't plan on buying Lili or N++ either, so that's what I'm waiting on.
    They're saying the Japanese RPG may be delayed because of changes in the Sony submission process. It may also impact their release schedule after September and cause the number of releases for the rest of the year to slow way down.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Ah, that's too bad. About the mystery RPG being delayed, that is (I wish they could still announce what it is in the meantime). I'm all for the release schedule slowing down, though. I feel like they've been stringing people along with comments like "Spring is going to be busy! Bear with us!", then "Summer is going to be busy! Bear with us!" and "Fall is going to be busy! Bear with us!" They keep making it seem as if the relief of a more relaxed release schedule is just around the corner but then that relief gets pushed further and further back. I dunno how anyone buys every last release these days, let alone the people who buy every platform variant, or even the max quantities of them all. That's just too much money spent on LRG alone each month for me, so I'm happy to now stick with the Vita releases, which are coming out at a saner rate than the PS4 releases, and the once in a blue moon PS4 release that I really want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Is it possible to cancel an item after it was purchased but before being shipped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

what did you order that you don't want?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/