Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Anyone here able to get "Maldita Castilla" for PS4 via Play Asia? I just managed, by pure luck.
    For anyone who missed registering for a "limited" PS4 Maldita Castilla, it's available now for pre-order at Play Asia. They did the same thing with the Blue Rider game they published. Had people sign up for the game like it's a limited edition to generate buzz and then a few weeks later it's up for sale on their website.
    Castilla is supposed to be an homage to Ghouls 'n Ghosts, as is the Battle Princess Madelyn game LRG is promising to have soon. I hope both are easier to play than Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    NightTrap HD remaster isn't shovelware. That was a high budget production for it's time and the crowdfunded remaster isn't being skimped over either. Also, people have a kitchy nostalgia for NightTrap - myself included. I'm looking forward to it and will buy a coph as long as it's not like $50 USD. Make it $24.99 like the others and I'll buy.
    Like I said at the end of what you quoted, it was one of the better FMV games, but everyone knew it wasn't really a good game. There are hundreds of better games more deserving of a remaster or remake, but a game like Night Trap is where the money is at. Everyone who's ever played or even heard of Night Trap knows it's one of those so bad it's good type of games(atleast some people seem to think so.) I've never been able to understand why, but people love to suffer through the shittiest movies of all time to get cool points, shit like Sharknado. The release of Night Trap HD is pretty much that. People are going to buy into it because making someone else rich off of a shitty movie that was recorded with a cell phone and then edited with special effects, or in this case an FMV game, is the cool thing to do.

But let me just point out the trash that LRG has been releasing.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae. Regardless how apologetic and how much you want to stand up for LRG releases and that if you don't like it just don't buy it, this game is clear of LRG willingness to just pick up anything they can get their hands on just to make a buck and you can be sure they're making a few grand profit if not more with this shitty release. Because of many people being caught up in owning every LRG release, many people were probably forced to buy this. I didn't, I've only bought 10 or less of their releases with a PS4 and Vita versions where applicable. But release a game clearly as bad as this one just because you can, just to put some extra money in your pocket. If you're unaware of this garbage game, take the brain dead Musou AI and add some broken DMC gameplay(broken as in able to take advantage of game mechanics and just overpower the already stupidly idiotic enemy more than you do from the start.) So LRG sings about how they're bringing physical games we want, and even if you ignore specific genres that you just might not like, even in genres you do enjoy, the majority of their crap is just plain average(or below average honestly.)

And before Aussie jumps to their defense stating not everyone is going to like every single genre, etc, etc, etc. I like the genre enough to appear this high on leader boards for the same genre(pictured below.) It's just a shit game.

Now some metacritic scores If your game scores lower than a 6/10 on metacritic, then you know it's bad(the above game scored 58.) However, journalists like to give indie devs hand jobs for being indie devs, scores are greatly exaggerated due to the indie revolution and many games that aren't even deserving of half their score many times get twice that. We'll take Rez Infinite for example, a game that scored an 78 back when it released on the PS2, but now that the dev is known as an indie dev and indie, indie, indie, the game has increated to 89. For comparison sake though, let's take a look at a few AAA games. The Last of Us scores the same despite having additional content, running 60fps rather than sub 30fps, native 1080p, and higher resolution textures. Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection doesn't even score as much as the original Uncharted did. Now it's not that the original Uncharted didn't age well, it didn't deserve it's score to begin with and hell if I know how it became a series in the first place, probably because everyone had a hard on over those graphics. Uncharted 2 and 3 are as still the same great games they were on the PS3 with higher framerate and running in 1080p, you'd think those games would increase the score. God of War 3 scored a 92 on the PS3 and the remaster an 81. I'm sure you get the idea by now. Indie games get their scores inflated all to hell for the simple fact that they're indie games. Rez isn't even a cheap indie game, but for most games, you pay $10 and you get a game that's eh, but you only spent $10 so here's an 8.5/10. I mean the bullshit concept of a game scoring higher because it's $1, $10, or $60? A game should be scored by the experience it provides, and if the so called shitty journalists want to make some statement to push a sale in the review, go ahead, but don't bloat the fucking score.. New word. Indieflation.

You've got the Shantae games which I was interested in because I've heard these were amazing games or something similar to that. Both were below average if you ask me, both honestly bordering on whether I should even keep them in my collectiion. There are things I like about the games, but they're just not very good, a far cry from the amounts of praise you hear about them from the fans of the series. Mutant Mudds scored an 85 on metacritic. Yeah, and Super Princess Peach deserves a 75.... wait what the literal fuck? Super Princess Peach got a 75? Make a game that an infant can progress through no problem whatsoever game gets rated highly, pose any sort of challenge without a loud public fanbase, your game will get shit all over. Maybe in some alternate universe where literally every single journalist didn't suck balls at gaming.... scratch that.... maybe in some alternate universe where literally 99.9% of all gamers didn't suck balls at gaming, people would see some games like Prinny as classics eventually, but sadly we'll be seeing games like Mutant Mudds one day be looked on as a classic in gaming and gamers then will become shittier than they are now. Final Fantasy will have you doing nothing but hitting x(oh wait, it already does that. The future is now!!.) "I'm sorry to say that the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself" When talking about gaming skill, this quote is 100% fact, especially when a "gaming journalist" is involved. You play games for a damn living, you should be much better than people who barely have any time to play anymore.

*edit*

Either I'm naturally good at literally every single genre, or these people just don't try. I platinumed Slain Back From Hell, one of the trophies is finishing the game in a single life. I finished Hyper Light Drifter in a single life, all three boss rush difficulties, and new game plus. I finished five difficulties on Has-Been Heroes when most journalist reviews show gameplay from the very first difficulty. A lot of complaints going around about Stardew Valley's time mechanics. Within the first month I have level eight fishing and level six farming, three or four in the others. For a game that goes three years and I'm almost maxed within a month, are people not trying or are they just stupid? Not like I don't look like an ass already so I may as well come out with it, they're probably stupid.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-05-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Why do you even care? Jealous, or just obsessive?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Because of many people being caught up in owning every LRG release, many people were probably forced to buy this.
    That's their problem if they feel that way. No one is forced to buy anything. What about people who collect full system libraries? Is Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc. to blame if there's a single crappy game in the libraries of their systems? Should some random person working for those companies decide what's good and not and refuse to license any game they think sucks? Because apparently we're all too stupid to think for ourselves and make our own purchasing decisions?

Just because somebody likes a genre, it doesn't mean they're going to like every game in that genre. It also doesn't mean that another person who likes that genre is going to like all the same games as the previous person and dislike all the same games as the previous person. There are plenty of people who like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae and were happy to see it get a physical release. It also wasn't released solely to make more money. It was a critical step to getting the rights to do more Japanese games. LRG fans have been clamoring for more Japanese titles, so LRG gave them what they wanted and are trying to snowball things to getting bigger and bigger titles, such that we're now able to buy the likes of Ray Gigant and Ys Origin. Mitsurugi was also released simultaneously with Astebreed, which are both from Playism. While Mitsurugi has a so-so reception, Astebreed is quite highly regarded. For all we know, Playism may have refused to let LRG do Astebreed if they wouldn't also do Mitsurugi.

A game doesn't have to be challenging to be good. Nor does a gamer have to be skilled to be allowed to play and enjoy games. Fuck that elitist nonsense.

It's not about jumping to LRG's defense. I regularly criticize them myself. For example, I don't really like anything about this Special Reserve Games partnership, since it's just a way to squeeze more money out of variant collectors, rather than getting more games released physically. This is about your insane, meandering ranting that's nothing but elitism, of you thinking you can decide what LRG should and shouldn't release.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 05-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I wouldn't say there's not some crappiness among professional reviewers, but could it be right to assume they have a large volume of games they have to play and don't have time to play them enough to get good at them?
    (that was what I thought after Hot Coffee and Hilary Clinton slamming ESRB for not finding it. A bit clueless since she doesn't know what a GameShark or AR or whatever name it goes by DOES, and true that ESRB only rates according to videos submitted by companies but I assume they wouldn't have time to play EVERY 100+ hour game that comes out even if they did regularly play the games themselves)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    For anyone who missed registering for a "limited" PS4 Maldita Castilla, it's available now for pre-order at Play Asia. They did the same thing with the Blue Rider game they published. Had people sign up for the game like it's a limited edition to generate buzz and then a few weeks later it's up for sale on their website.
    Do you have a link? I'm not seeing it available. Maybe there were a few slots unpaid for which went up for sale?
    The game looks aright, I'm more interested because of it's supposed following of Spanish lore.
    In the case of Blue Rider, I think it just didn't sell.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Do you have a link? I'm not seeing it available. Maybe there were a few slots unpaid for which went up for sale?
    The game looks aright, I'm more interested because of it's supposed following of Spanish lore.
    In the case of Blue Rider, I think it just didn't sell.
    http://www.play-asia.com/cursed-cast...sive/13/70b3h7

That's what I used this morning before posting. I see it says sold out now but I would just keep checking back. That's I did for both games, neither of which I was able to sign up for in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another "high quality" game LRG is interested in publishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_bXuX4ita4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Why do you even care? Jealous, or just obsessive?
    If it was jealousy then it wouldn't matter what they released. But when they try going for such a cheap pos game just because the profit margin is higher with each sale, yeah I'm going to bitch about them. It's the same thing with people bitching about popular Youtubers. When a popular Youtuber makes tens of thousands of dollars monthly, people don't really care much until that specific Youtuber starts making clear money grab videos, then you'll see people shit all over them.

Some of you might not care how often LRG does a clear money grab release, but I do, and maybe if enough people complain, LRG might start reacting to the complaints and put forth the extra effort for some more quality releases. The reason why LRG lost a few releases in the first place is from, only guessing, that they're not being competitive with other publishers, maybe other publishers are offering better terms and maybe this is why they've not been able to release a lot of bigger titles they've stated they've attempted to pick up. If companies like BadLand Games are picking up multiple releases that you attempt to get, maybe you need to put forth the extra effort and offer better terms on your releases.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-06-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

LRG publishing Ninja Senki kinda makes sense because they have already published two other Tribute Games IE: Curses 'N Chaos and Flinthook. But I do hope they include Mercenary Kings with it because both games are small and because I would actually prefer playing the later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Some of you might not care how often LRG does a clear money grab release
    Why would I? If there is a game I'm not interested then I don't pay it any attention.
    Likewise to your youtuber analogy.
    Start your own publishing company or youtube channel if you're so sure of how it should be done.

I appreciate someone pointing out or discussing reasons they don't like a game or something, but this gamer penchant for critiquing and/or attacking business decisions is really weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ugh Ninja Senki DX. Not a bad game, but definitely one I wish not to play again. I managed to beat it and get the 2nd ending, but the last boss was just too hard.

I understand LRG is trying to release basically anything they can get their hands on for a quick buck. Sadly, they know all copies will be sold, even if the game is mediocre or just plain bad. This is because of collectors that just need to have every single release. Sadly, I'm included in that list. Though I do want to stop.

The only way they will notice is if they start loosing sales or, at the very least, the games take longer to sell than they realize. Maybe then their focus will change to license better quality titles.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not Limited Run Games, but I thought some might be interested.

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-rider-...sive/13/70axkb

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've actually been interested in Ninja Senki DX for a while and have been hoping that LRG will do a print run, so meh at your scare quotes. It reminds me of Game Boy Color games and looks decent. From my experience with their work, Tribute Games is a pretty good developer, a step above most other indies doing 2D retro-style games. And if the main complaint people have with it is that it's too challenging, then you should be all over it then, considering your diatribes against easy games.

I repeat, *you* do not get to decide for everybody else what's good and bad and what deserves a physical print run or not.

As for LRG's terms, they claim 30% of the profits, while the developer gets 70%. Any business similar to LRG that claims an even smaller cut is probably not going to be around for long. Or they're a huge business like Play-Asia that makes most of their money through other means. With BadLand Games, they're doing regular retail releases, with ESRB/PEGI ratings on the box. If somebody has an indie game popular enough for a regular retail release, then they should definitely skip LRG and go with a different publisher. LRG doesn't have the ability to release games like that, or at least, that's not what their business is for. Most indies aren't popular enough for a regular retail release, so the only way they can come out physically is to minimize costs, by not spending the money to have the physical release rated, by not dealing with Amazon and GameStop and such. If you only want to buy the most popular, highest rated games, you shouldn't be wasting any time on LRG. LRG is for niche games, ones that don't have mainstream appeal or maybe have mixed reviews, the kind of stuff that would remain digital-only if LRG didn't exist.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 05-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another crappy LRG release. I'm j/k :P

After Ys Origins was listed on Play-Asia and then later LRG annonced it, I knew this game was coming from LRG as well. Pang's Adventure, Ys Origins, and WonderBoy The Dragon's Trap are all from the same publisher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Another crappy LRG release. I'm j/k :P

After Ys Origins was listed on Play-Asia and then later LRG annonced it, I knew this game was coming from LRG as well. Pang's Adventure, Ys Origins, and WonderBoy The Dragon's Trap are all from the same publisher.

This may get a purchase from me then.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even though I'm planning to skip LRG's PS4 releases in the future, I'll probably make an exception for Wonder Boy (despite that I'm still not crazy about the very Western look of this remake). Depending on what's in it, I may even spring for the collector's edition. I just hope they don't make it totally Master System-themed. I'll never understand why people still associate Wonder Boy with the Master System. It's like, yeah, let's obsess over the crappiest versions of these games. Everybody obsesses over Dragon's Trap too, but personally, I like Monster World III and IV better.

Anyway, some random whining on my part aside, I love the Wonder Boy series, and I'm glad this is getting a physical release. Wish it was on Vita too. And with all these DotEmu releases, I hope we can someday get a Windjammers print run too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

This pisses me off so much. I should have waited...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    This pisses me off so much. I should have waited...
    I'm assuming you ordered it from Play-Asia? Why not just cancel your order, it hasn't released yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'm assuming you ordered it from Play-Asia? Why not just cancel your order, it hasn't released yet.
    Digital download.