Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I want salt n sanctuary, dragons trap and merceary kings physical release for vita

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Both Mutant Mudds games are up for sale today. Should be much easier to grab them than the madness with the last releases.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Shadow Warrior 2 from Special Reserve Games if anyone is interested. It's for both PC and PS4. PS4 has only 2500 copies available and includes discs for both Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior 2 plus Steam keys for both games. It doesn't say how many copies are available for PC version, but PC version also comes with a soundtrack and artbook. There's a PS4 and PC version which is limited to an additional 500 copies(so there's that if you missed the PS4 version alone,) has all the content the PC version has and then some. PS4 version is $40 plus $5 shipping in the US.

https://www.specialreservegames.com/...adow-warrior-2
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Did they ever release "Strafe"?

I remember ordering it and haven't heard anything from them.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

It was supposed to start shipping May 22nd.

I was really suprised to see Play Asia pre-selling a disc version of Alchemic Jousts for the PS4. It was a Playstation Talents game previously sold on disc only in Spain I believe, though it was playable in English.
    "1,888 copies exclusively to Play-asia.com at a special price at US$19.99 with Original soundtrack"
    https://www.play-asia.com/info/alche...f=aj_news_2017
    Last edited by Spartacus; 05-24-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

I ordered this as well. I contacted them on their facebook (as well as other worrying customers) and they said they had an issue with their system sending out tracking numbers. They said while some people may not have gotten their tracking numbers, all of the packages have been shipped. Hopefully they work these kinds of bugs out soon.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Risk of Rain is on sale now. The first batch of the vinyl OST ran out immediately, but there's still plenty of the game itself left.

LRG's variant of Strafe was originally planned to go on sale today, but they decided to put it off. It'll probably be next Friday, but they're not saying anything concrete just yet.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Today LRG is selling Deemo for Vita and Broken Age for both PS4 and Vita. I just grabbed the Vita versions. Still a decent amount of everything left.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

And now LRG is offering their variant of Strafe for PS4. I think they may be selling it in a single batch, so my apologies if this isn't enough notice to grab a copy. (As always, it's best to keep tabs on the opening post for release dates, as I regularly update it.)

For me, this is the perfect time to stop picking up every LRG PS4 release that they aren't offering on Vita, with it not being a part of the numbered set and me not being a fan of first-person shooters. And then it'll be that much easier to pass on Drive Drive Drive and Furi and so on. I'm just gonna focus on Vita, with maybe the occasional PS4 game if it's something I really want to play.

Edit: Oh, and as a heads up, if you bought anything on Friday and Strafe, you can contact LRG to combine the orders and save on shipping. I think you have to do it by the end of the day, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You should atleast pick up Furi because it's an amazing game, despite being an indie title, one of the best on the PS4 when it comes to action games.

So LRG apparently just stated a few days ago they're going to do less releases and focus on more quality releases. Yet at E3 they announced 17 new games, and most of it sure wasn't quality. Regardless of genre, I'd say easily 3/4 of those games aren't worth playing, much less buying at a premium price. I said it before and I'll say it again. LRG really has no standards, they don't care about what people think of the games they publish, they'll publish whatever they can get regardless of quality because it'll sell to people who have already bought into the LRG brand. When they can't sell them, they'll sell them at 30 pieces each to scalpers and mom and pop stores that will guarantee the sales. While certain publishers like BadLands are recognized for putting out good games, LRG is pretty much known as the shovelware publisher of indies with a few good games here and there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    LRG is pretty much known as the shovelware publisher of indies with a few good games here and there.
    I'm noticing that. I admit, I'm trying to get EVERY single one of their releases, but I've reached a point in which I simply can't anymore, mostly due to $$$ reasons. And since they were pushing out so many in such a short amount of time, it was getting REALLY annoying...and a huge financial burden.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You should atleast pick up Furi because it's an amazing game, despite being an indie title, one of the best on the PS4 when it comes to action games.

So LRG apparently just stated a few days ago they're going to do less releases and focus on more quality releases. Yet at E3 they announced 17 new games, and most of it sure wasn't quality. Regardless of genre, I'd say easily 3/4 of those games aren't worth playing, much less buying at a premium price. I said it before and I'll say it again. LRG really has no standards, they don't care about what people think of the games they publish, they'll publish whatever they can get regardless of quality because it'll sell to people who have already bought into the LRG brand. When they can't sell them, they'll sell them at 30 pieces each to scalpers and mom and pop stores that will guarantee the sales. While certain publishers like BadLands are recognized for putting out good games, LRG is pretty much known as the shovelware publisher of indies with a few good games here and there.
    Furi doesn't look like my cup of tea. I'm also not a fan of what I've heard of the music, and having good or at least tolerable music in games is pretty important to me. Right now, Wonder Boy is probably the only announced upcoming PS4-only LRG release I'll buy.

Yes, LRG has talked about signing less, going after bigger and better titles, but they've also stated that it'll take some time to see the effect of that, as they're still working their way through games they signed in 2016, when they were signing practically anything they could get in order to build and establish their business. What do you expect, that they back out of all the contracts they've already signed and get sued? Do you honestly believe they announce a game the second they sign the contract? You think those 17 announcements were all signed within the last week, after they started saying they were going to cut back? Now you're just intentionally acting dense for the sake of bashing LRG and still totally failing to understand and respect that different people have different tastes. You do realize there's probably somebody out there just like you who thinks Furi looks bad, while one of the games you call shovelware is good to them, right? So who's right here? Protip: neither of you are right, and neither of you are wrong. LRG is trying to sell to both of you. You buy Furi and pass on the games that don't interest you, while somebody else should pass on Furi and buy, say, Night Trap. Or do you want someone else to decide for you that Furi doesn't deserve a physical print run?

Personally, I think there's some pretty good stuff among the announcements. Seeing all the PS4-only games, I'm glad I'm sparing my wallet by passing on them, though I wish some of them were available for Vita as well like Momodora.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 06-13-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not sure what list you were looking at, but there were some incredible games on the E3 list. LRG is not known as a shovelware publisher. In fact, the vast majority of their games have high review scores digitally before being released by LRG. I get that it's probably frustrating not being able to afford the volume of releases they are putting out currently, but your comments are becoming increasingly irrational and simply not supported by the realities. I mean Deemo and Broken Age this past week were well regarded games from major developers. Furi and Darius Burst (Vita) are two more games that were frankly worthy of a retail release and thanks to LRG will at least be released physically in the US. Badlands is a laughable comparison as they have released a ton of poorly rated physical games in their home market of Europe which never even made it for physical release over here. They also seem to have distribution or development issues as it takes them forever to release games like Axiom Verge or Velocity over here when they were announced long ago.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Has Badland Games released anything in the US physically so far besides OlliOlli on PS4? I know they're the publisher behind Anima too, but NISA is handling the physical run of that. I can't even speak for the quality of Badland Games's physical catalog when they barely have anything to show for themselves in the US so far. I'm still waiting all eternity to buy Axiom Verge.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find Limited Run Games more than questionable. The business model of this publisher revolves around the hype about rarity and thus is a disservice to gamers and collectors alike in the clothing of being a gamers' and collectors' company. It is not. If the production numbers aren't limited due to the usual cost and profit calculations but due to a guarantee to sell the entire production of a game based on the speculation about future rarity and huge profit margins on ebay, this business model appeals more to ebay scalpers than to gamers or collectors.

Limited Run feeds on the anticipated hype about rarity and profit margins. I got this email yesterday about the Limited Run variant of 'Strave' in which the limited production numbers were stressed (like always): "Only 1000 copies of the game exist with the Limited Run exclusive cover variant. If you want to secure one - head over to our site now and grab one." I certainly didn't athough I was tempted to drop the cat food immediately and let my cats starve to death because I might miss out on this incredible opportunity.

But here it comes and this shows the business model clearly: "Special Reserve Games' standard version sold out several weeks ago and is already fetching several times the original retail price on secondary markets."

The success of Limited Run Games is based on the fear of collectors to come to late, the hope of collectors to sell it later and foremost the speculation of ebay scalpers. We live in a time in which the hype about the future Stadium Events exists already and in which ebay scalping became a job for the lazy and unqualified. In these times we certainly do not need a publishing company which limits the production number usually to around 4000 and sells the games usually within ten minutes online. (Broken Age and others are an exception)

I'm heavily opposed to LRG because it sets a bad precedent. Play Asia limited the run of the exclusive Blue Rider and Cursed Castilla EX already. What is next for Limited Run if the sales decrease and people get bored of LRG? I suggest a production run of 500 per game and a price of $150 in order to appeal to the hardcore gamer and hardcore collector in all of us. I'm convinced that the games would be gone within 5 minutes. Why? Because greed and dumbness are constants of human nature.

I like publishers like SOEDESCO, THQ Nordic, Rising Star and so many others which prove that smaller publishers can survive and make profit by giving us great games of smaller developers on physical discs which otherwise wouldn't have gotten a physical release; and this without the Limited Run-nonsense. THEY are doing a great service to gamers and collectors alike, Limited Run does not.
    Last edited by lendelin; 06-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I find Limited Run Games more than questionable. The business model of this publisher revolves around the hype about rarity and thus is a disservice to gamers and collectors alike in the clothing of being a gamers' and collectors' company. It is not. If the production numbers aren't limited due to the usual cost and profit calculations but due to a guarantee to sell the entire production of a game based on the speculation about future rarity and huge profit margins on ebay, this business model appeals more to ebay scalpers than to gamers or collectors.

Limited Run feeds on the anticipated hype about rarity and profit margins. I got this email yesterday about the Limited Run variant of 'Strave' in which the limited production numbers were stressed (like always): "Only 1000 copies of the game exist with the Limited Run exclusive cover variant. If you want to secure one - head over to our site now and grab one." I certainly didn't athough I was tempted to drop the cat food immediately and let my cats starve to death because I might miss out on this incredible opportunity.

But here it comes and this shows the business model clearly: "Special Reserve Games' standard version sold out several weeks ago and is already fetching several times the original retail price on secondary markets."

The success of Limited Run Games is based on the fear of collectors to come to late, the hope of collectors to sell it later and foremost the speculation of ebay scalpers. We live in a time in which the hype about the future Stadium Events exists already and in which ebay scalping became a job for the lazy and unqualified. In these times we certainly do not need a publishing company which limits the production number usually to around 4000 and sells the games usually within ten minutes online. (Broken Age and others are an exception)

I'm heavily opposed to LRG because it sets a bad precedent. Play Asia limited the run of the exclusive Blue Rider and Cursed Castilla EX already. What is next for Limited Run if the sales decrease and people get bored of LRG? I suggest a production run of 500 per game and a price of $150 in order to appeal to the hardcore gamer and hardcore collector in all of us. I'm convinced that the games would be gone within 5 minutes. Why? Because greed and dumbness are constants of human nature.

I like publishers like SOEDESCO, THQ Nordic, Rising Star and so many others which prove that smaller publishers can survive and make profit by giving us great games of smaller developers on physical discs which otherwise wouldn't have gotten a physical release; and this without the Limited Run-nonsense. THEY are doing a great service to gamers and collectors alike, Limited Run does not.
    Cant say I disagree, but they are following the trend. Wu Tang and several others have auctioned off "One of a Kind" albums for outrageous sums.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Not counting the two unnumbered releases, I've bought every LRG release so far (though usually on just one platform with the multiplatform games), and I have never once had a problem getting my order in. The scalpers and rarity and what have you don't matter if you just show up at 10am EST sharp (or 6pm EST sharp) and place your order. Gamers who just want a physical copy to play and don't give a hoot about rarity, resale value, collectibility, etc. can order just the same as anybody else. Regular retail releases produced in large quantities are certainly preferable, but the whole point of LRG and its copycats is to produce physical copies of games that aren't viable for a regular retail release. I guarantee that the likes of SOEDESCO, THQ Nordic, and Rising Star would not be able to turn a profit on some of the games LRG has released if they released them as standard retail releases.

The print run sizes are set by the developer/publisher, not LRG, so they make it however large they see fit. Minus Strafe, which is an exception to the norm as LRG was simply distributing a cover variant of another company's game, which was open for preorder for something like two weeks, LRG's recent releases have lasted for about a weekend (this holds true for many older releases as well), which may not be a ton of time in the grand scheme of things, but it totally eliminates the worry and need to drop what you're doing. On top of that, most LRG releases at this point aren't even worth much on the secondhand market. Sure, the first few releases are, but most can be bought still sealed on eBay for no more than about 10 bucks above LRG's price. Some can even been had for the same or less even. I mean One Way Heroics goes as far back as their 13th unique release (20th if you wanna count platform variants), and that can be had for less than LRG sold it for, AND it's a good game to boot. This is quite far from a scalper's paradise, and most flippers have probably long moved on from LRG, as the profit just isn't there.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 06-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

they announced 17 new games, and most of it sure wasn't quality. Regardless of genre, I'd say easily 3/4 of those games aren't worth playing, much less buying at a premium price
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not sure what list you were looking at, but there were some incredible games on the E3 list. LRG is not known as a shovelware publisher. In fact, the vast majority of their games have high review scores digitally before being released by LRG. I get that it's probably frustrating not being able to afford the volume of releases they are putting out currently, but your comments are becoming increasingly irrational and simply not supported by the realities. I mean Deemo and Broken Age this past week were well regarded games from major developers. Furi and Darius Burst (Vita) are two more games that were frankly worthy of a retail release and thanks to LRG will at least be released physically in the US. Badlands is a laughable comparison as they have released a ton of poorly rated physical games in their home market of Europe which never even made it for physical release over here. They also seem to have distribution or development issues as it takes them forever to release games like Axiom Verge or Velocity over here when they were announced long ago.
    My notations clearly depict I wasn't speaking about all 17 games. Three fourths is 4-5, and even though I'm not going to pick up that many it doesn't mean I can't recognize a release people who are fans of the genre would appreciate. It's not being able to afford the releases, because I could afford every PS4 and Vita LRG and if every one of them happened to appeal to me I'd purchase every one of them, it's quality.

Maybe BadLands releases aren't about distribution issues and are because they just prefer quality above quantity? Yes, Axiom Verge Multiverse edition has been announced a long time ago, but it's also been announced that they are going to hopefully release it on the Switch as well, and a couple months ago the developers were still attempting to get the Nintendo to approve the release of the game. If not for that, I'm pretty sure we would have already seen a release or atleast a release date.

As for reviews, the vast majority of journalists circle jerk around certain overhyped indie games. Shantae is one of the most expensive GBC games and playing both PS4 releases to completion shows that these games are okay, but the praise surrounding the series is due to the knowledge of the overpriced GBC release more than the actual quality of games. Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP has a lower score than the Shantae games, and if you were to read some of the more bullshit reviews, like Eurogamer for example, the score is as high as it is because SotN is included along with the release. Lords of Shadow 2 and Mirror of Fate got shit all over because some things people didn't like being in the game, or in Mirror of Fate's case it was an exploration game that didn't play identical to the IGA style of games. Rez on the PS2 scored a 78, but because the whole boom in indie indie indie and the cult following Rez has acquired from the original release to its recent releases, being known as an indie game, it has scored 89 with Rez HD and Rez Infinite.

There are many factors that come into play where indie games score better. The fact that they're indie games already give them a bump in score. The price that they launch at shouldn't even be factored into the score, but apparently if the game is sold for $10, it can be below average and it'll score a minimum of 7/10, maybe even score 8/10. The hype behind the indie title certainly helps, but that can also backfire(see Mighty No 9.) It's very rare that you see anything playable score below a 60 unless it's got a lot of bad hype surrounding. Additionally, most journalists are absolute shit at games, so throw any difficulty at them and it's automatically one of the worst games they've played. There's a reason all this walking simulator bullshit gets high reviews, because there's literally no skill involved and no longer does the game need to worry about being penalized for it. So games get penalized because the journalists have no skill, but of course, potential replay value doesn't mean shit in this day and age. The point is, the 8/10 an indie game gets isn't the same as an 8/10 a non indie game gets(atleast for the most part, as long as it hits all those posivites it's almost guaranteed close to an 8/10.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Anybody who thinks Shantae and Rez are indies is a moron. Yeah, nothing says "indie" like being published by Capcom and Sega.

it doesn't mean I can't recognize a release people who are fans of the genre would appreciate.
    Apparently you can't, because literally every single LRG release has its fans.

Also, if I went by popular opinions of fans, I would be totally lead astray. Of the LRG releases I've played to completion, Lone Survivor is probably the most highly regarded, yet it's the one I liked the least. Meanwhile, games like Octodad and Thomas Was Alone, which are treated like redheaded stepchildren by many, I enjoyed more than Lone Survivor.

The price that they launch at shouldn't even be factored into the score
    Gimme a break. The price point of a game often correlates directly with the budget of the game, and it is entirely unfair and illogical to hold a game made on a tiny budget to the same standards as a AAA game. If you want AAA quality, you have to pay the AAA price.

Additionally, most journalists are absolute shit at games, so throw any difficulty at them and it's automatically one of the worst games they've played.
    Gimme a break #2. There are tons of indies out there that are hard just for the sake of being hard, because the developer wanted to make the next Asshole Mario, and those indies get high scores and praise too, even though they're less fun than games that don't play as if they were quartermunchers.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post

You find it questionable that they have found a way to release between 4 and 8 games physically per month that would have no chance of getting a retail release let alone a physical release but for their publishing model? Should every company in this space be forced to take unlimited preorders or order quantities of products far in excess of possible demand in order to be considered valid and good in your estimation? What about the fact that any developer partnering with LRG on a release receives full rights to do a second release of the same game and yet only one has to date? Isn't that really an indication that LRG understands supply and demand and is pretty much where they need to be with balancing it properly?

I mean it's all fine and good to praise companies doing retail releases, but you literally have no idea what their financials look like and two of the three you have mentioned don't exactly eagerly pick up "indie" titles for release. I mean if it was so lucrative to release large numbers of physical low cost games at retail on the PS4 and Vita, wouldn't Soedesco, THQ Nordic and Rising Star be doing exactly that? Instead they each put out a game or two every few months at best and in the case of Rising Star, it has been awhile since their last US release.

It's funny you should talk about human nature because in my experience it's always the people who have never run a successful business or even tried anything entrepreneurial in their entire lives that seem the quickest to want to play armchair CEO. LRG is a business that happens to be run by gamers, developers and collectors. You can opine all you want about their relative merit in your personal world view, but the rest of us don't share your narrow mindedness and are just happy to be getting games in physical format that would have no such chance otherwise.