Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Oh well. Don't buy it.
    What's your problem?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Everybody already knows at this point that LRG has a $25 minimum, as anything else would produce profits so small as to not be worthwhile. It's not the 90s anymore, when budget PS1 games could have an MSRP of $10 or $15. Pretty much any physical console or handheld release has a $20+ MSRP these days, no matter how low-budget the game is, because manufacturing costs don't magically get lessened just because the game is crappy or low-budget.

I'm not buying Absolute Drift. Also see no reason to complain about it. I'm glad for the people who are happy to have the opportunity to buy it physically. I'm also glad to have a little bit of a break from LRG spending. I'm excited to buy Windjammers on Vita next month, and that's good enough for me for now.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

For those who want to fight over the remaining 700 or so PAX variant copies of Ys Origin for PS4, they'll be up this Monday, October 2nd, at noon Eastern time.

Apparently they had plans to do a Vita variant too, but the ESRB business killed it (killed the other variant they were planning to do for Night Trap too). So there's one positive out of the whole ESRB mess, haha.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Another heads up: The Ys Origin PAX variant sale time has been moved to 5pm Eastern today.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

For anyone who missed Broken Age, LRG passed their leftovers along to Fangamer: https://www.fangamer.com/products/br...s4-and-ps-vita

Now for me to go back to twiddling my thumbs until Fangamer finally ships my Undertale CE, even though I made the cut for September shipment and they're supposedly sending the CEs out before the standard copies.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    For anyone who missed Broken Age, LRG passed their leftovers along to Fangamer: https://www.fangamer.com/products/br...s4-and-ps-vita

Now for me to go back to twiddling my thumbs until Fangamer finally ships my Undertale CE, even though I made the cut for September shipment and they're supposedly sending the CEs out before the standard copies.
    I bought a standard copy of Undertale for the first run and I haven't heard anything other than an e-mail saying it's going to ship in September but may run until October. If I hear anything else, I'll post it here. I also bought a collector's edition that isn't supposed to ship until December, since I missed the first wave.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I said I'd post about my undertale pre-order (although not LRG related). I just got my shipping confirmation e-mailed to me yesterday.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Still nothing about my Undertale. Looking at their Twitter account the last couple days, it looks like Fangamer has been focusing on the PS4 CEs. At least I finally got a tracking number from LRG about my Ys Origin and Asdivine Hearts, but they've been in "pre-shipment" since the 9th. I hope LRG keeps their word for getting everything literally shipped by this weekend. I'm getting kinda annoyed with these "shipping confirmations" that aren't actual confirmation of shipping. Just because you've printed out a label and slapped it on a box doesn't mean anything if you're just gonna leave the box sitting in your warehouse for a week before actually handing it off to USPS or UPS or whatever.

Anyway, the first batch of Absolute Drift: Zen Edition and Chariot will be on sale in roughly 15 minutes. Windjammers has been delayed to November, so this may be it for October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Hopefully I have a job, internet, AND electricity for when the next batch is available.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

skipped the two games today. Not interested in either one. Hope I will be for the next batch!
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Took all eternity, but I finally got my Asdivine Hearts and Ys Origin LE today. I know I only have myself to blame for continuing to buy them, but LRG's LEs continue to be disappointing. But it's like each time they find a new way to disappoint me. This time, what immediately made a bad impression is the awful Engrish on the back of the LE box. It's not even like it's buried and hard to notice. It's large text, and there's nothing else on the back, outside of the background art that wraps around the whole box. They're still using those cheap, ugly brown cardboard trays too, and the solid black inner tray doesn't match the rest of the packaging. Another folded up poster, which just makes me wonder why they're not doing cloth posters if they have to be folded. That way the creases wouldn't be permanent. The art book is pretty nice contents-wise, but not only is it softcover, it's also really thin paper that's just stapled together, so it has the build quality of, say, a N64 manual.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Lots of various LRG news coming out lately.

First off, Switch games are a go, but they won't start coming until 2018.

Crawl (PS4), Nex Machina (PS4), and La-Mulana EX (Vita) were all announced, with the latter two coming November 10th. November should be a much busier month in general compared to this month and last. They say they'll have at least two or three more Vita games alone in November (probably Windjammers, and maybe they're counting Vita Skullgirls shipping, which should hopefully start in November).

The developer of 2064: Read Only Memories announced that the game won't be coming to Vita, unfortunately, so this marks the first announced LRG release that's getting canned. Still getting a PS4 LRG release, though, with a whopping three cover variants, of 2064 copies each. Should be for sale before the end of the year. The developer is also porting the game to Switch (with enhancements), and that'll likely be released physically by LRG eventually too.

Va-11 Hall-a is releasing in November in Japan, and the US Vita release, including the LRG physical run, should occur around the same time. I'll be the largest print run LRG has ever done for a Vita game, and it'll also have a collector's edition (pleeeeaaaaase have higher quality standards). They'll have a vinyl of the soundtrack as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Long live Vita!

I'm hoping there will be progress on Cosmic Star Heroine, Rabi-Ribi and Mercenary Kings on Vita soon. I've been wanting all three nearly from the beginning of LRG.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not having electricity is making me desperate...I could not go for the last batch of games and now a month later a new batch...and I still can't order them. I hate PR.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Housemarque is amazing, easily one of the best twin stick shooter devs. If there's one thing I can say I don't like about them it's that they like to put as many particle effects to everything as they possibly can which adds more on screen.

I'll be buying Nex Machina(and La Mulana,) hopefully after this release Dead Nation gets a release. I played a couple levels when the PS4 version was launched free on PS+ and unless it was updated later on, the armor in the game doesn't change your stats like it should(your movement, armor, and speed remain the same regardless what you equip.) Regardless, Dead Nation is an amazing game which I still think is their best release.

The ESRB announced River City Melee for the PS4 coming from LRG. Not only do I think the Kunio games are overrated garbage, this is yet another game that's been out for a very long time that LRG is releasing, and they keep saying that they're only going for games that haven't been released yet, and they keep releasing games that have been released again and again. What's next? Slain, etc? They really need to quit going after games that have not only been released but are still available to purchase as they're not ridiculously limited.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At this point, I'm skeptical that Cosmic Star Heroine and Mercenary Kings will make it out in 2017, but Rabi-Ribi is finally coming to US PSN this week, so hopefully that's a sign that we'll see the LRG release in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The ESRB announced River City Melee for the PS4 coming from LRG. Not only do I think the Kunio games are overrated garbage, this is yet another game that's been out for a very long time that LRG is releasing, and they keep saying that they're only going for games that haven't been released yet, and they keep releasing games that have been released again and again. What's next? Slain, etc? They really need to quit going after games that have not only been released but are still available to purchase as they're not ridiculously limited.
    I have no idea what you're going on about here because both the PC and PS4 releases of River City Melee came out this year digitally. How much more recent do you need them to be? LRG never claimed they'd only do games that weren't released period. In fact, they've said the exact opposite, that they won't release anything that isn't also available digitally. Their goal is to focus on games that have never been released physically, and that's been the case for the vast majority of their releases. And why are you complaining if you're going to buy La-Mulana, one of LRG's oldest releases thus far if you count previous releases of it?

Kunio-kun is a long-running, well-loved series, whether you like it or not. If you were capable of looking at things with a perspective that doesn't entirely revolve around your own tastes and wants, you'd comprehend why it's a smart and worthwhile pickup for LRG.

As for Slain, Signature Edition Games did the physical print run for that, and as far as I know, they have worldwide rights for the physical release (since they ship internationally just like LRG).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    At this point, I'm skeptical that Cosmic Star Heroine and Mercenary Kings will make it out in 2017, but Rabi-Ribi is finally coming to US PSN this week, so hopefully that's a sign that we'll see the LRG release in the near future.

I have no idea what you're going on about here because both the PC and PS4 releases of River City Melee came out this year digitally. How much more recent do you need them to be? LRG never claimed they'd only do games that weren't released period. In fact, they've said the exact opposite, that they won't release anything that isn't also available digitally. Their goal is to focus on games that have never been released physically, and that's been the case for the vast majority of their releases. And why are you complaining if you're going to buy La-Mulana, one of LRG's oldest releases thus far if you count previous releases of it?

Kunio-kun is a long-running, well-loved series, whether you like it or not. If you were capable of looking at things with a perspective that doesn't entirely revolve around your own tastes and wants, you'd comprehend why it's a smart and worthwhile pickup for LRG.

As for Slain, Signature Edition Games did the physical print run for that, and as far as I know, they have worldwide rights for the physical release (since they ship internationally just like LRG).
    I think he's bitching about the fact that he probably already bought the Asian/English version that was released on PS4 disc and seemed to be carried by a number of online retailers and easily shipped to the US. Personally I'm not seeing the problem as it's not like this prevents LRG from releasing other games and if you already own it, you can just skip it when it goes on sale.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, them's the breaks. If you prefer a US region release, then you wait for one or you replace whatever other regional version you have when and if the time comes. I know with some of these releases, LRG signed the deal before it was ever known that another region would have a physical release. But it doesn't matter either way to me. If no US physical release exists for a game, I'd like to see one. Doesn't matter to me if an Asian English release exists or a European release or whatever. In fact, I'd welcome a release of Slain through LRG or some other American publisher. The fact that Signature Edition Games releases are PEGI-rated is exactly why I haven't bought them. I already have a sizable collection of US Vita releases, enough to last me a very long time, so I don't need to spread myself thin going after all the European and Asian releases too, not unless it's something I'm just dying to play.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

No I'm not bitching because I bought the Asian release, as I've said, I think the Kunio games are garbage beat em ups. The Battle Royale game devolves it even more by throwing a few characters in a giant square battlefield.

I'm not happy about it when Play-Asia releases the exact same game either, because it's yet another game that's already been released. However, whenever another dev does it, Doug goes on and on about how publishers need to stop releasing the same games, but then when LRG is called out for doing the same thing, the excuse is that they're trying to get in with the developers or trying to fill space with a game and state that they won't keep doing it. So if they're going to bitch about other publishers doing it and they state they'll stop releasing the same games other publishers did, then I think I have a right to talk crap about how hypocritical they're being. It's not my fault that LRG has bad PR because Doug decides to always state the first thing that comes to mind. EAS is just one publisher, but there's multiple other times that Doug started talking crap about another publisher because they got a publishing deal LRG really wanted but didn't get.

As a co-owner, Doug is speaking for a brand whenever he states anything. If he's going to make these comments then people are going to criticize their bullshit when they do the same thing.

Darius Burst was out for awhile, they then released the PS4 version and later released the Vita version. Caladrius Blaze was out for quite some time. River City Melee Battle Royale released March, not sure of the exact date, but seven months ago from right now, that's a pretty long time, might be eight months or later by the time LRG actually releases it. There are others, like Ys and Monster Boy were listed on Play-Asia months before LRG announced them, but these are ones that LRG already probably had some sort of deal with due to previous published games and also released around the same time as the Play-Asia version. The ones above though, released a good six months or longer after the fact.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-31-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    No I'm not bitching because I bought the Asian release, as I've said, I think the Kunio games are garbage beat em ups. The Battle Royale game devolves it even more by throwing a few characters in a giant square battlefield.

I'm not happy about it when Play-Asia releases the exact same game either, because it's yet another game that's already been released. However, whenever another dev does it, Doug goes on and on about how publishers need to stop releasing the same games, but then when LRG is called out for doing the same thing, the excuse is that they're trying to get in with the developers or trying to fill space with a game and state that they won't keep doing it. So if they're going to bitch about other publishers doing it and they state they'll stop releasing the same games other publishers did, then I think I have a right to talk crap about how hypocritical they're being. It's not my fault that LRG has bad PR because Doug decides to always state the first thing that comes to mind. EAS is just one publisher, but there's multiple other times that Doug started talking crap about another publisher because they got a publishing deal LRG really wanted but didn't get.

As a co-owner, Doug is speaking for a brand whenever he states anything. If he's going to make these comments then people are going to criticize their bullshit when they do the same thing.

Darius Burst was out for awhile, they then released the PS4 version and later released the Vita version. Caladrius Blaze was out for quite some time. River City Melee Battle Royale released March, not sure of the exact date, but seven months ago from right now, that's a pretty long time, might be eight months or later by the time LRG actually releases it. There are others, like Ys and Monster Boy were listed on Play-Asia months before LRG announced them, but these are ones that LRG already probably had some sort of deal with due to previous published games and also released around the same time as the Play-Asia version. The ones above though, released a good six months or longer after the fact.
    In other words, you really had nothing of value to share in your previous post and won't bother supporting your original claim that they shouldn't be releasing games that have been released physically in other regions, but just wanted another excuse to bash LRG. Got it. Sad and disgusting all at once.