Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

are there gonna be any more releases this year? I plan to come home for the holidays and don't want to miss something.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nope, they're done for the month. January and February are supposed to be pretty packed, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    January and February are supposed to be pretty packed, though.
    Great, just great. They don't understand the term "spacing things out". Ugh.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Supposedly they've scheduled out all of 2018 and most months have two release days, but yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Never heard of this company...Strictly Limited Games. A tad high on price, but I bet it's because of it's location. Still neat, though.

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.c...night-epic-ps4

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Got my La-Mulana EX CE today, and I'm still kinda :/ about the quality of LRG's CEs. Collector's box is pretty nice, even if I'm not crazy about the art, but it's weird that the game's title is only on the top flap. I would expect the title on the front, but even in lieu of that, at least put it on the sides too so that if you shelve it among other LEs, you can tell what the heck it is without having to shelve it flipped on its side in order to have the top flap sticking outward. For some reason, the cheap brown cardboard tray holding everything barely fits the box this time. I really had to yank the thing out of there, and it makes the box bulge outward. The inner trays for the CDs make no bloody sense. The CDs still slide around all over, and if you try to pull the whole CD tray part out, it just dumps the CDs out the bottom. Then a big tray just to hold a little Vita case, and then the usual folded paper poster and an oversized manual which both slide around too. The manual is pretty cool, but I swear, it's got the weirdest gross smell about it. I've never gotten any manual or book in general that smells like that, and I usually like the smell of a new book. Every time I flipped a page, I cringed a little as it wafted the smell back toward me.

I'll try out the game itself another night. Next CE up for my scrutiny, haha, will be Windjammers.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Well my game arrived on the 19th. It's a big box release after all and it was well packed in a sturdy cardboard box so it arrived safe. There's also a download code on a sticker on the side so the latest updated version of the game can be downloaded from GOG, and the box can still be left sealed. I also wasn't expecting that bag of extra goodies to be included. Just awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

A game called Meko Tales is being listed on LRG. They have ridiculously low print runs...and to make matters worse, TWO PER CUSTOMER.

This is getting annoying.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    A game called Meko Tales is being listed on LRG. They have ridiculously low print runs...and to make matters worse, TWO PER CUSTOMER.

This is getting annoying.
    In fairness, it's a developer a lot of people think is a scammer and the game is pretty terrible. I suspect a lot of people will be skipping it.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

And more cover variant nonsense, which is even more of a cash grab than usual since they flat out admit the "developer edition" exists simply to put more money in the pocket of the developer. All you get for the extra $10 is different art, a slipcover, and an extra trading card. I might care more about supporting the developer if they weren't cranking games out as if they were shovelware, with games that all have the same visual style. I didn't think what I played of Plague Road was that great, and I decided to back out of the SkullPirates Kickstarter campaign since I don't have much faith I'd like that game and the physical copies are Asian versions anyway. I'd be perfectly content if Arcade Distillery went with Eastasiasoft for all future physical releases and then I could easily write them off, since I'm only focused on collecting US Vita releases. Anyway, back to Mecho Tales, with the two per customer, that means, for each platform version, some collectors are going to be buying four copies out of the mere 2500 pool, just so they can get both variants and have an opened and sealed copy of each of those. It's stupid how much harder they're making it just for people to get one single copy. If they want to split print runs into variants and allow two per customer, then they gotta do bigger print runs than 2500. Again, I don't understand why LRG is going backwards by doing prints run comparable in size to their earliest releases.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In fairness, it's a developer a lot of people think is a scammer and the game is pretty terrible. I suspect a lot of people will be skipping it.
    This. The guy makes bad games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Well that should help a bit. Specially when I just got an email stating that the games will be released on Jan 1st together with a 2017 Liquidation thing/nonsense.

I find it funny that they say that they no longer had Breach and Clear, yet they will once again offer it as a "Blind Box Special". But it's from their "personal collections". Sure it is.

Oh well, I will keep an eye on for Mecho if I'm lucky. Had had luck on previous releases due to this Maria shit.

Argh.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

They added some more upcoming games to the store, and I swear, nothing LRG is doing is making a lick of sense. Now Mecho Tales is listed as a Monday January 1st release, with Rock Boshers DX (PS4 & Vita) and Yesterday Origins (PS4) just four days later on Friday January 5th. It's not like Mecho Tales is a variant of a Special Reserve Games release or anything. Why isn't it on a Friday like usual, what genius thought it would be wise to sell a game on New Year's Day, and why wouldn't these games all be lumped together if they're that close? It's bad enough when they got releases every week, now we can look forward to twice a week? I usually think LRG's shipping fee is pretty reasonable, but not when I have to pay for it two times over in the span of five frickin' days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

So I need to concentrate on FIVE titles that week? What bullshit is that? I'm seriously getting tired of LRG.

Oh, I bet they will make a super, limited release of all titles just hours before they go on sale. Or bundle them with crap no one wants.

I kinda feel sorry for variant collectors...

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm skimming the topic on Mecho Tales on the LRG forum, and the reaction is predictably bad, but the whole situation is weird. The LRG guys sound defeated to begin with, as if they expected everybody to be unhappy about the details of this release, and they act as if the developer has them by the balls. I mean, what, is Arcade Distillery threatening to go with Eastasiasoft if LRG refuses to sell the "developer edition"? With the tons of releases LRG has been doing, I would imagine they could pass on this if it's going to primarily result in backlash. Is it really worth it for them?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They added some more upcoming games to the store, and I swear, nothing LRG is doing is making a lick of sense. Now Mecho Tales is listed as a Monday January 1st release, with Rock Boshers DX (PS4 & Vita) and Yesterday Origins (PS4) just four days later on Friday January 5th. It's not like Mecho Tales is a variant of a Special Reserve Games release or anything. Why isn't it on a Friday like usual, what genius thought it would be wise to sell a game on New Year's Day, and why wouldn't these games all be lumped together if they're that close? It's bad enough when they got releases every week, now we can look forward to twice a week? I usually think LRG's shipping fee is pretty reasonable, but not when I have to pay for it two times over in the span of five frickin' days.
    If they had combined all seven releases on one day, people would have been upset as well. I'm sure even with the bad reviews Mecho Tales will still move and there is a good chance if someone wanted to try for all seven games, they would end up missing something. Frankly, I think they want to bury Mecho Tales and are only releasing it because they had a deal to do so. The developer has already moved on to EAS by the way as they are the ones handling the Skull Pirates release.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm frankly amazed no one remembered Luc Bernard's name from Eternity's Child "fame" nearly a decade ago. Didn't he say he was going to quit the industry or something like that?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

For the few people still collecting every cover and platform variant of LRG's releases, I'm sure they'd be upset about the number of releases in the first week of January period, unless money is no concern for them. Spacing four days between them doesn't do much to help alleviate the financial strain. It only adds to it by tacking on another five bucks. They could just make a big bundle to speed up the buying process or just make bigger print runs in the first place so no one has to race for these releases to begin with. I'm just not seeing any worthwhile reason behind this move. It guessing it's either to bury Mecho Tales, draw more people to the liquidation sale, or the developer is being arrogant like with Jotun and insisting on having a day with no other new releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Any developer with unreasonable requests should be dumped by LRG. The developer should be happy that their game is both getting a physical release AND that they are getting more money. I know LRG wants to be very profitable, but sometimes the problems and stress are not worth it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So it'll be a rarer release that could be worth more later on, similar to Action 52. lol

They added some more upcoming games to the store, and I swear, nothing LRG is doing is making a lick of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    So I need to concentrate on FIVE titles that week? What bullshit is that? I'm seriously getting tired of LRG.
    So why are you guys still buying so many games from them then? Really just curious at this point. I only bought the one I did because it's something I've really been looking forward to playing and reviews are all excellent (in particular a main review site that specializes with this genre gave it a rare 5 out of 5 and I usually agree with their reviews). I rarely pay more than $5 total for any game I want to play so this was unusual for me.

I guess I just dislike the sales strategy of marketing games like limited collector plates. The value on those tanked to near worthless, I expect the same to happen to these video games a few years from now. Modern games as a whole just feel disposable to me.