Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't say I'm buying a ton from LRG these days. December was pretty packed with four I bought, but I only bought one LRG release in November, and none in September and October. I've been progressively slimming down what I buy from them. Originally, I bought one of every game, including the platform variants. Then I decided to only get the Vita versions when a game is multiplatform and only buy the PS4 games that weren't also available on Vita. Then I decided to cut out the PS4 games entirely, only making an exception if it's something I really want (and in the half year or so since making that decision, I've only made one exception). And just recently, I decided to pass on collecting all the Vita cover variants, instead only choosing one to buy. (I'll probably gravitate toward whatever is rarer or has a CE, but I dunno. Mecho Tales makes it tempting to say to hell with the rarer version.)

It's my casual collecting toward a full US Vita library that has me buying a copy of every Vita release LRG does. I dunno if I'll ever actually finish the set, but it seems like a fairly attainable goal for me, and I'm enjoying the collecting in the meantime and playing all these different kinds of games. There are 230-some physical US releases right now, and I have over half already. I don't think there's a lot of life left in the system either, so I think it's going to stay a relatively small set. Between that and the fact that it's a niche system with niche games, I think it'll be seen as a pretty collectible system in the future, and I think a lot of the games will hold value pretty well. Personally, I just love the system and love adding to my collection for it, since it's not getting massive amounts of releases like all the popular platforms. I feel like this'll probably be my last collecting hurrah for a modern platform. Modern gaming, especially modern home console gaming, is more and more going in a direction that isn't very appealing to me, on top of going in the direction of an all-digital future, and dedicated gaming handhelds, which are what I've enjoyed most these last two generations because they've offered gaming experiences comparable to 90s and 00s gaming, seem to be a dying breed and may not exist past this generation, outside of hybrids like the Switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I wanted to collect every release, but thanks to Maria, I lost quite a few of them. I did, however, refuse to purchase on getting, that being Lawbreakers. No offline mode, not worth it.

I may do what Aussie is doing...just get Vita releases. Thankfully, I'm not a variant collector so I don't get several copies of a game just to have different inserts. But I always tried to get CEs when possible and at least a PS4 and Vita release. Meco Tales, I will forgo the CE version, as it just a lame excuse for the developers to get more money. And I'm only gonna TRY for the Vita release. If I miss it, oh well, I have the digital version...and while not terrible, it does suck quite hard.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Limited Run Games is releasing Senko no Rondo 2.

The first time I've seen this gameplay style was in Touhou Gensou Rondo Bullet Ballet and while I was really interested in the gameplay style, I was never interested because I didn't like the games presentation. So right now is the first time I've seen a game in the Senko no Rondo series and the presentation looks a lot better imo, bullet and attack graphics don't look so repetitious, characters look different, not generic anime girl shooting at generic anime girl, etc. I was always really interested in the versus aspect though because it adds a completely new dimension to the genre, like Furi but boss versus boss instead. Definitely picking this one up.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Anyone got Mecho Tales? Thanks to my best friend, I got the Vita version of the regular edition. I will have to pay him back but meh, finally got an LRG release! It's been a while.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yep, even though it kinda makes me feel like a sucker, I grabbed the Vita developer edition. I'll take solace in that I don't think LRG will be working with Arcade Distillery anymore, and hopefully that'll be the end of "developer editions" too.

I completely ignored the whole blowout sale. I hate their backwards logic of doing Mecho Tales today so people can "save on shipping". All they're doing there is punishing their regular customers. I've already bought everything I've wanted from their previous sales, so how does this save me on shipping?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I was tempted on getting a blindbox, just for Breach and Clear (only Vita I'm missing), but decided against it. Don't need anymore repeated copies. Also, since when is Breach and Clear "uncommon"? Other titles are rarer?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I was tempted on getting a blindbox, just for Breach and Clear (only Vita I'm missing), but decided against it. Don't need anymore repeated copies. Also, since when is Breach and Clear "uncommon"? Other titles are rarer?
    In this case, they found a box of 30 copies of Breach and Clear. so they were uncommon compared to other less frequently included games in the blind boxes. Also, the Breach and Clear copies they found were Sony promos, so they have the UPC punched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Skipped Mecho Tales, but I did pick up two games that I missed: Dear Esther and NightTrap.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Darkest Dungeon getting a retail release for PS4, Vita, and Switch finally. US listing at Play-Asia(shows sold out and tba,) a couple LRG members found there were PAL territory Amazon listings as well.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Today LRG is selling Rock Boshers DX for both PS4 and Vita (plus bundles with a CD soundtrack) and Yesterday Origins for PS4.

I just grabbed a Vita copy of Rock Boshers. It's nice to see another return to the old way of doing things. Just the usual 25 bucks, no cover variant stupidity, and a soundtrack available on CD rather than vinyl and not as a part of an overpriced CE (though it would've been nice to see them sold by themselves, not solely within a bundle). And I have some confidence that Rock Boshers will be fun, which I don't have in Mecho Tales. Though I'm still bitter that I have to pay full, separate shipping for both.

In other news, I think that god awful UPS Mail Innovations, which makes packages take twice as long to travel the relatively short distance between me and LRG, may have lost my copies of SteamWorld. For days now, the tracking on UPS's end has been saying that they handed the package off to USPS, but when I check the tracking number on USPS's end, it says that they're still waiting to receive the package. So lol, good job, guys. I guess I'll wait a few more days to see if it randomly shows up before I start the hassle of contacting LRG support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Rock Boshers looks good but it doesn't appeal to me enough to spend $25 on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

In other news, I think that god awful UPS Mail Innovations, which makes packages take twice as long to travel the relatively short distance between me and LRG, may have lost my copies of SteamWorld. For days now, the tracking on UPS's end has been saying that they handed the package off to USPS, but when I check the tracking number on USPS's end, it says that they're still waiting to receive the package. So lol, good job, guys. I guess I'll wait a few more days to see if it randomly shows up before I start the hassle of contacting LRG support.
    Happens to me all the time. It's worse for PR...it can take over a month. It is really a horrid service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I also picked up Rock Boshers DX on Vita. I thought of getting it on PS4 but I think it's better suited as a Vita title.

Anything coming out next Friday the 12th?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Originally there was stuff scheduled for every Friday in January, but they've bumped some to February. So I think there's nothing next Friday. Not sure about the 19th. The 26th will have Sky Force Anniversary.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Tomorrow is the day for The Bit.Trip (PS4 & Vita) and Screencheat (PS4). I think this'll be the first time since LRG came into existence that I'll pass on one of their new Vita releases. Not because I don't want The Bit.Trip but because of this line in their email: "A special convention exclusive variant will be available for each platform later this year at PAX East." Since I decided to stop supporting all the cover variant nonsense and just buy one version of each Vita game, I'm planning to wait and take a shot at getting that rarer variant, which I assume would have the same price. With any luck, they'll sell that on the same day as something else and spare me from having to pay shipping for this game alone. I already feel like they screwed us on shipping earlier this month, and I don't want to pay shipping two times for the 19th and 26th releases that are only one week apart either. The line about the PAX East variant sounds as if they're ONLY selling it at PAX East, but I assume that's just poor wording on their part. Every other convention variant has later been sold on the site. Worst case scenario, if I fail to get the PAX East variant, I'll pick up The Bit.Trip on eBay. Between The Bit.Trip already having a regular retail physical release on multiple platforms and LRG's Runner 2 often selling for even less on eBay than it did originally, I feel like this one won't have much value on the secondhand market and can safely be put off for a later purchase.

Anyway, I feel like everything with LRG lately has been adding insult to injury. My SteamWorld copies are very obviously lost in the mail, but LRG refuses to do anything about it until it's been 30 days since the last shipping update, so I'm stuck waiting until the end of this month. I was already annoyed about not being able to combine Mecho Tales and Rock Boshers, and then they're shipped one single day apart and arrive on the SAME DAY. So stupid. It's as if LRG wants to create more work for themselves and waste people's money. And on top that, I actually bought that dumb cash-grab "developer's edition" of Mecho Tales, and the one stinkin' thing that's actually different about it from the standard edition, the slipcover, shows up all torn up at the front top right corner. There is no way in hell I'm wasting even more money on Mecho Tales to return the whole thing for a replacement, so I guess I'll see if they can send me just a replacement slipcover or a partial refund. *sighs*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    My SteamWorld copies are very obviously lost in the mail, but LRG refuses to do anything about it until it's been 30 days since the last shipping update, so I'm stuck waiting until the end of this month.......And on top that, I actually bought that dumb cash-grab "developer's edition" of Mecho Tales, and the one stinkin' thing that's actually different about it from the standard edition, the slipcover, shows up all torn up at the front top right corner.
    Wait, you actually purchased the "rip-off" copy of Mecho!? 🤣🙃

I have a package of LRG well over a month in transit. I really despise UPS Innovations. Yet they continue to use them.

And today is BitTrip and some other crap. I will pass...possibly just get the Vita version with my friends help. I rather concentrate on next week for that shooter game. I just hope I get electricty by then.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I will be skipping today's releases as well. Screen Cheat isn't something I'm interested in, and I will be at Pax East, so I can just hold out for that copy if I decide to get it while I'm there (and hopefully pick up some other good stuff from them). I do like to watch and see how quickly games sell out, even if I am not purchasing. I saw LRG at PAX East last year and spent a good amount of cash at their booth. I'm not sure what they'll end up having this year that I don't already have, but last year I hadn't been buying any of their releases so it was all new games to me.

I personally can't wait for the blind boxes to come in. I bought 5 of them, and I think it'll be fun just seeing what games I get. If I end up with ones I already have, I can just EBay them or leave them sealed and on the shelf because I open and play most of the games I get from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Runner is alright actually so I purchased The Bit Trip on 3DS awhile ago. I'm thinking of getting it on PS4 but I can guarantee I won't ever play it, so might just skip it. If I do play it again, it'll only be the 3DS version since by design it's pretty much perfect for that system.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I like seeing how their stuff sells even when not buying too. I wish everything would last for at least days, but it is interesting to see what sells faster than others. Like I never would've expected Night Trap to have such demand and sell so quickly.

To correct myself, the slipcover isn't the only thing different about the Mecho Tales developer edition. I forgot that the cover in the case is different from the regular release too. But I don't see a cover variant as something deserving a higher price tag, even if it is rarer, so the slipcover is the only "extra" for that additional 10 bucks (unless you want to count an extra trading card, which I don't). As dumb as it sounds, the extra slipcover was my main motivation in getting the developer edition, but I'm not even gonna attempt to justify it. I will fully say I'm a sucker for buying it, and I thought it was a rip-off cash grab from the get-go. But now I all the more wish I just got the standard edition when the dumb slipcover shows up damaged. I couldn't care less about the whole angle of "supporting the developer in creating their art" when it's a shady developer cranking out games like shovelware. I'd like to open my copy of Mecho Tales and see if the game is as bad as many claim it is, but until I come to some resolution with my support ticket, I'll refrain. I did at least open and try out my Rock Boshers DX, and it was pretty fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Managed to pick up The Bit Trip for Vita.

Yeah, you can tell I love the Vita. 😍

Well, technically I still owe my friend, but at least I was able to get one.