Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Well, it seems that LRG doesn't learn from their mistakes.

NURSE LOVE ADDICTION MEDKIT EDITION will be TWO per customer. At only 1500 copies, this is basically for 750 customers.

Seriously, as much as I like their releases, it makes me wonder if they are bound by idiocy.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The standard run is way too small too. I think LRG is really overestimating how many people will be turned off by the price or the fact that it's a visual novel (or that it's a yuri romance VN) and underestimating how much draw it has for people who aren't normally into LRG's stuff. VN fans can be pretty dedicated, and they're no strangers to expensive LEs even. I really hope this won't be a bloodbath because I want at least enough time to add Organ Trail to my cart as well.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 03-13-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Same here. Though at the same time I hope it does become one. That way people can call them out once again. Of course, that is if Doug even cares....Josh as well

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A lot of news coming out lately. Thimbleweed Park is going to be LRG's first Switch game (also coming out for PS4), and Pixel Gear will be the first PlayStation VR game.

I also looks like +$15 over the digital price point is going to be LRG's standard policy in the future, sighs:

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/l...php?f=2&t=4089

If they think people react badly to $50 Vita games, they're in for a world of pain when they start charging $55 + shipping. I know LRG is all about making games that would otherwise be digital-only available in a physical form, but I've also always seen them as a way to get budget games at budget prices. Many may be simplistic little indies, but I'm cool with that when I'm spending less than I would on an industry-made Vita game priced at the standard $40. But with this price increase, I'm going to be spending MORE on LRG's releases after the shipping fee is factored in than I would buying a standard $40 Vita release on Amazon, where I get free shipping and $8 off with Amazon Prime. I can tolerate rare exceptions where I'm spending more than the average Vita release, like with Nurse Love Addiction, but making that the new norm? I don't know if I'm okay with that.

I have sympathy for their costs of business going up, and I probably wouldn't be too bothered if each game got bumped up by a buck or two. But with the volume of releases, an extra $5 per adds up. At some point, you gotta ask yourself if what you're selling is even logical to buy for the consumer. Most consumers don't want to spend more money on simplistic indies than they do on industry-made games that have had bigger budgets put into their creation, more depth, play better, take longer to beat, etc.

It sounds like the usual prices will be around for a bit longer, since they've already locked in prices for some of the stuff they signed long ago. By June or so, they predict the higher prices to be the norm, which is lol-worthy itself because that's also when the "slow down" is supposedly coming. Wasn't that supposed to be, what, 6+ months ago now? So I guess we can expect to be inundated with releases through April and May, and I have zero trust that the "slow down" will even come in June, if it ever comes.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

LRG new pricing policy. $30 for shitty games with maybe a good one on the extremely rare occasion, $35 for premium priced shitty games with maybe a good one on the extremely rare occasion.

LRG should add a slogan. Limited Run Games; We never said they'd be good. LRG; Our games sure as hell don't go to 11. LRG; Serious fun(just as long as you wait a long ass time for that one game to come along!)

*edit*

Also, before someone comes on to defend LRG for their new pricing. A $1 additional cost would cover almost any releases ESRB rating and most releases would profit additionally at thaht amount. $5 is just taking advantage, but it's the perfect excuse for them to increase prices and the apologists will jump up to their defense the moment anyone says anything bad about them as usual. Kind of reminds me of Nintendo fanatics, but atleast in their case the games are consistently good and here they're... well, not.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-15-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If so few LRG releases appeal to you, then you should be happy because the overwhelming rate at which they've been cranking them out shouldn't affect you.

If they just upped their print runs, they wouldn't have to pass the buck to the consumers at all. Yet even after years of doing this, they're still seemingly so utterly terrified of a game taking longer than a few days to sell out. They've left a ridiculous amount of money on the table by underestimating demand time and time again. They see maybe a dozen people say that they're passing on Nurse Love Addiction on some random forum and suddenly they're so scared about how it will sell, and all I can do is shake my head.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    A lot of news coming out lately. Thimbleweed Park is going to be LRG's first Switch game (also coming out for PS4), and Pixel Gear will be the first PlayStation VR game.
    From what I read online for Thimbleweed Park the collectors edition versions from LRG with feelies will cost $65 each, yet I bought my PC version with the feelies for $40 from Fan Gamer(with free shipping). That's a bit of a difference. I don't get why Fan Gamer couldn't just get the rights for all versions.

Though I assume the console versions will be patched to the latest versions of the game, even for the physical PC version there's additional content only available through a download from GOG. I'm kind of tempted with the console versions even when I don't own the consoles.

If they think people react badly to $50 Vita games, they're in for a world of pain when they start charging $55 + shipping. I know LRG is all about making games that would otherwise be digital-only available in a physical form, but I've also always seen them as a way to get budget games at budget prices. Many may be simplistic little indies, but I'm cool with that when I'm spending less than I would on an industry-made Vita game priced at the standard $40. But with this price increase, I'm going to be spending MORE on LRG's releases after the shipping fee is factored in than I would buying a standard $40 Vita release on Amazon, where I get free shipping and $8 off with Amazon Prime. I can tolerate rare exceptions where I'm spending more than the average Vita release, like with Nurse Love Addiction, but making that the new norm? I don't know if I'm okay with that.
    They're not selling games, they're selling rare collectors items. That's why they're justifying their pricing and limited print runs. It's "Teh R@re" stuff meant for collectors who regularly buy games for hundreds of dollars off ebay.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm guessing Fangamer probably isn't on board as a Switch publisher. I know it took some time for LRG to get approved by Nintendo. Then the developer probably just gave LRG the PS4 rights to go along with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

They see maybe a dozen people say that they're passing on Nurse Love Addiction on some random forum and suddenly they're so scared about how it will sell, and all I can do is shake my head.
    I called them out about this via tweets themselves. Even told them that the most a game has lasted has been a few days, but they always sell out relatively quickly. Even crap like Lawbreaker (only game I purposely never purchased). Then I just outright said that they fear a game last s few days in sale, for which they ignored me. I even have them another idea, one they themselves have done: one per customer and if, after 24hours, there are still copies, remove the restriction and offer to sell as many as a person wants. Recommendation of ignored, of course.

I want today to be a bloodbath, just so can I rub it in their faces. Like they will learn anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Got them.

Only got the Vita of Organ Trail. Left the PS4 version. Got the rest.

What about you guys?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The first batch of Organ Trail (PS4 & Vita), Nurse Love Addiction (standard & Medkit Edition), and Kero Blaster (with or without the soundtrack) have been put up. I got a Vita Organ Trail and the CE of Nurse Love Addiction, and shock and awe, the Nurse Love Edition CE was entirely sold out (both by itself and within the mega-bundle) in 2 minutes. And this is the game LRG was scared would sell poorly. Anyway, there's still a fair amount of everything else still available. Come back for the second batch if you want another shot at the Medkit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Seems like Doug doesn't give a rats ass...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm guessing Fangamer probably isn't on board as a Switch publisher. I know it took some time for LRG to get approved by Nintendo. Then the developer probably just gave LRG the PS4 rights to go along with that.
    Looking even more into it now, LRG had help with their collectors edition directly from Fangamer. It's basically the same stuff and packaging. I only found info on the release before from some game news site, I rarely check out LRG's own website.
    https://limitedrungames.com/products...park-ce-switch

It sucks Fangamer isn't a Switch publisher then, it looks like they're publishing physical copies of Bloodstained for the Wii U. Unless I'm misunderstanding this.
    https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindling/bloodstained

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Seems like Doug doesn't give a rats ass...
    He's really not making these for people who want to play them, it's just about making money.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Fangamer and LRG have had a partnership for a while now. LRG often sells Fangamer merch alongside their releases when it exists. Same with CE contents. The frisbee that came with the LRG Windjammers CE is exactly the same as the one you can buy on Fangamer's site (besides the rare pink variant).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He's really not making these for people who want to play them, it's just about making money.
    This is a pretty narrow minded way of looking at the situation. It's entirely possible to want to make something neat and collectible in physical form available while also making money. Buyers can also do whatever they want with them, including playing the games. The great thing about all of the games LRG sells is that they can be purchased, often for far less money in digital form by anyone who wants to play them and doesn't want to bother with physical media.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    LRG new pricing policy. $30 for shitty games with maybe a good one on the extremely rare occasion, $35 for premium priced shitty games with maybe a good one on the extremely rare occasion.

LRG should add a slogan. Limited Run Games; We never said they'd be good. LRG; Our games sure as hell don't go to 11. LRG; Serious fun(just as long as you wait a long ass time for that one game to come along!)

*edit*

Also, before someone comes on to defend LRG for their new pricing. A $1 additional cost would cover almost any releases ESRB rating and most releases would profit additionally at thaht amount. $5 is just taking advantage, but it's the perfect excuse for them to increase prices and the apologists will jump up to their defense the moment anyone says anything bad about them as usual. Kind of reminds me of Nintendo fanatics, but atleast in their case the games are consistently good and here they're... well, not.
    I'm not gonna defend the pricing, but the more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced that you have terrible taste in games. With a couple of notable exceptions, every single LRG release since the beginning has received great reviews prior to being released physically by LRG. Just because you don't like various games doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do and are willing to put the reasons why in writing. Maybe you should find another hobby as this one seems to be making you sad and bitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm not gonna defend the pricing, but the more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced that you have terrible taste in games. With a couple of notable exceptions, every single LRG release since the beginning has received great reviews prior to being released physically by LRG. Just because you don't like various games doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do and are willing to put the reasons why in writing. Maybe you should find another hobby as this one seems to be making you sad and bitter.
    Have you ever thought that a lot of these games get high praise because not only are they indie games and cost less, but Kero Blaster for instance is from the developer that created Cave Story, an excellent and widely loved indie game?

Apparently though, Kero Blaster, Mutant Mudds, etc, are BETTER than Dracula X Chronicles. I mean of course they are, they did score higher after all. So a remake that's better than the original release, includes the original release, and includes SotN scores lower than a bunch of indie games that are nothing more than "going through the motions." Followed with dozens of reviews that the game is too hard and unfair and blah blah blah blah, when it's the best balanced game in the franchise.

Every game that is remotely difficult unless it's hyped all to hell is shit all over by gaming journalists. God Hand is now "an absolutely amazing gem of a game, one of the greatest games of all time." Yeah, now it is. Granted, these aren't the same people, but they're the next line of dumbasses that just got out of college using video game journalism to start their career. How many Cuphead videos, how many Doom videos, etc, do you guys need to see before you realize these people probably haven't touched a controller before the last five years. And you really think that their opinion offers the slightest bit of validity?

I mean think about it. Monster Hunter has always been scored fairly low, on the PS2 it was scored in the 60s, on PSP it was in the 70s. It wasn't until journalists realized that the series had a growing cult following that the games started scoring higher, and aside from the graphical increase, World is essentially the same game as all the rest, yet now it sits at 90 on Metacritic, higher than any past game in the series.

Final Fantasy 13, the most hated game in the series. The game is especially polarizing among fans, but it just so happens that every single journalist loved it. I mean such a huge coincidence right?

My point? Gaming journalism and the reviews that you read are all bullshit. 20 years from now you'll be hearing from whoever the new gaming journalists are that Has-Been Heroes is a hidden gem, and just like God Hand and just like Has-Been Heroes before it, they'll at the same time shit all over another gem that won't be recognized by anyone but the gamers who actually play it. A lot of the games released by LRG won't be remembered for their quality.

*edit*

Think of it as conspiracy theory, but it's not much of a theory, it's a fact and you can see it everywhere. Demon's Souls may have been the start of the Souls craze, but it was only on Playstation and mostly niche at the time. Dark Souls released and it became a lot bigger but the score was the same. Dark Souls 2 though, despite being worse than both past titles, scored higher because game journalists realized just how popular it was. Dark Souls 2 is a great game, but yeah, it's not the better game, it's only higher because of the well known hype from the series fanbase.

Journalism now is how they perceive the gamer wants to see a game scored. If a Zelda game gets anything below a 9/10, they receive death threats, so obviously they perceive that everyone wants to see every Zelda title near perfect, which is why each and every one of them score as such. This last part was a joke, but the whole thing about score being based on what public perception may be, I guarantee that's true.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-18-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You say this as if amateur reviews are any different. Go ahead and browse Steam reviews of LRG's releases and see that most of those are positive too. But I'm sure you'll come up with a multitude of reasons to dismiss fan opinions too. It's abundantly clear that you have zero respect for any tastes and opinions other than your own, which apparently are the Objective Truth™ about games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You say this as if amateur reviews are any different. Go ahead and browse Steam reviews of LRG's releases and see that most of those are positive too. But I'm sure you'll come up with a multitude of reasons to dismiss fan opinions too. It's abundantly clear that you have zero respect for any tastes and opinions other than your own, which apparently are the Objective Truth™ about games.
    Why do you think video game journalism is such a huge business, whether it's to sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc, who are still in business, to Youtube journalism with hundreds of different mainstream channels. Most gamers buy into all the hype. They're sheep that'll buy whatever they're told is popular.

Final Fantasy as good as it may have been, is a casual as hell RPG series. Persona, took awhile, but after Persona 3 the series became well known. If you ask what's a good JRPG to play, you'll constantly hear Final Fantasy and Persona as those two are the most popular right now. Once those games are listed, you'll then hear more niche stuff, or from people who actually play the niche stuff, you might hear that as well. Now. I think Valkyrie Profile is a pretty trash game, you know this. But regardless of my opinion, even if Valkyrie Profile is a 10/10 game, 11/10, whatever, the problem is, is that it doesn't sell regardless. The original release, the sequel, and the rerelease didn't sell enough to bring the series back, and it's even getting another rerelease. I mean. If the game still hasn't caught on, that kind of tells you something right? You have to atleast admit that popularity sells. Why does popularity sell? Because the majority of gamers are sheep, plain and simple.

Btw, are you trying to argue that Dracula X Chronicles really isn't as good as Kero Blaster or Mutant Mudds? Is that what your comment is really about?

*edit*

I own PSVR now so I decided to check out Pixel Gear, LRGs very first PSVR game. And wow, this game looks like absolute shit. You know, being that it's their very first VR title and that they'd been around for so long. You'd think they'd want to get something great, something atleast good, memorable. Something that people are like, "Wow. Let's keep a look out for future VR releases from LRG." But no, as usual, like most of their other releases, LRG decides to get the bottom of the barrel trash. Way to ruin the great potential of your company all for the mighty dollar. I mean there's A LOT of VR games that are digital only compared to retail, and you guys decided to get the most generic trash you could find. It's like you didn't even attempt to get something good with as bad as your very first choice is. Good job LRG, good job.

I mean, I was in that other thread defending how the average current gen games are usually better than the past gen games, and honestly, not lying about it, I still stand behind that statement. But LRG certainly releases the most trash games at retail than any publisher this gen by far. BY FAR. Praising how good the latest gen has become, the potential to exceed the PS2 and maybe even PS1 in quality releases, praising how even though there's not as many God Hand's, Shadow of the Colossus', SMT Nocturne's, etc, that the average quality is atleast far beyond the average of past gen games, and then LRG releases its weekly shit game or even shit games, plural. LRG is single handedly pulling the quality of retail releases way down, while other publishers might only release a game here or there, the quality is far beyond the average shit that LRG releases. Would rather have fewer higher quality releases than the shit show that we see every week.

Releasing all the trash that they release, how many indie developers do you think actually are a bit skeptic on even letting LRG publish their games? How many actors in Hollywood don't do most roles they're offered because it would look bad to other writers and directors looking to hire them. It's honeslty the same thing, because honestly, these indie developers don't need LRG, the money that they'd make from the LRG release is nothing to them compared to how much they've already received from PSN or Steam on top of the game probably having a Kickstarter as well. I mean does Phil Fish need LRG to publish Fez? No, the money from LRG is chump change in comparison. So I bet you a lot of these developers would actually consider publishing through a smaller publisher that publishes more quality over more quantity and they probably look at all the shit LRG and isn't interested in publishing at all. They don't want their name tarnished by LRG reputation.

New tagline for LRG. LRG, the LJN of the 8th generation.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Are the trading cards given with game purchases even worth selling? I know some fans will want to get them all, but I personally don't see any purpose for them. But also, I want to make sure they are worth selling, because if I will just get a few measily bucks for them, I rather just "collect" them...or at least see how far I can got with them.

On a side note, LRG should really start selling random packs of them on their site. Otherwise, it maybe quite impossible to get a complete set.