Page 16 of 63 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nothing for Vita fans today, but three PS4 games are available: Pang Adventures, Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, and Astebreed. Looks like Astebreed is the most popular, as the first batch of that is already sold out, while there's still a little left of the other two. It's great to finally be getting some more Japanese games through LRG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ray Gigant and Flinthook are up for sale. Ray is $40 (expensive) while Flint is $25.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Ray Gigant and Flinthook just went up for sale. The first batch is very nearly gone already, even with Ray Gigant being a standard price game. Take note that manufacturing of Flinthook has been delayed, so if you order it by itself or with Ray Gigant, you're gonna have to wait a few weeks to receive your package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm very happy to see Ray Gigant. That's not an indie, that's a full blown retail-worthy game. I guess that's why it's more.

I'm looking forward to my order.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Anyone here able to get "Maldita Castilla" for PS4 via Play Asia? I just managed, by pure luck.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I got a copy last night at 10PM CST when it came available. I had an email that stated there were 1000 left as of 2AM so I checked to see if they were still available as of 8AM and they were still able to get a copy. Probably sold out by now.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This is the first I'm hearing about it (the game and Play-Asia's physical print run). Kinda weird that Eastasiasoft is basically doing the LRG thing (even announcing the size of the print run) but through Play-Asia, even though they have already released a few games through LRG. I guess when they went to do another physical print run of Soldner-X 2 through Play-Asia, they must've preferred that experience to working with LRG. Or maybe Play-Asia just asks for an even smaller cut of the profits.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

LRG is releasing Night Trap on the PS4. When I made the joke about shovelware coming from LRG, and saying that their releases are all over the place, this is what I'm talking about. LRG pretty much releases anything they can get their hands on, regardless of quality. It was pretty ingenious starting up LRG and announcing games with a predetermined number of units to the public with a number to each and every LRG title, and using your own games to start and get more money is a smart choice, so I can understand the games being poor then. But when there's over 50 LRG releases in less than two years and over half of them aren't good? It's clear as day they're grabbing whatever they can get as anyone with half a brain would know they're making some damn good profit each release. Would be nice if they went for less releases and released better games. I think they'd actually look like a solid publisher to the public honestly and get more of a following by releasing quality titles. Most people seem to have forgot about them or ignore their releases now because how often the releases are low quality.

Night Trap was unique for its time, and when it comes to Sega CD FMV crap, it was one of the better games, but it's more of a piece of history than a good game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Why shouldn't they release whatever they can? Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head, forcing them to buy every single LRG release. Let the consumers decide what they want and what they don't. Who's to say what's a quality game or not? No two people are going to have the exact same opinions on every game, let alone all gamers sharing the exact same opinions. Last thing I want is to be denied the opportunity to buy a physical version of a game I'd like to own just because one random individual decided it's not a good enough game. Anybody who knows anything at all about LRG realizes they're not a developer, and you shouldn't expect anything in common from one release to the next. You have to put in the research to know what you're getting and if it sounds appealing to you or not.

Good game or not, there are a lot of people nostalgic about Night Trap and a lot of people who are excited to buy a physical copy for PS4. Myself, I'm not particularly interested in it, and I'm thinking about bowing out of buying LRG's PS4 releases in general after DariusBurst, unless there's something that comes along that I'm just dying to own. That's not because the quality or lack thereof of their PS4 releases; I just don't care much about collecting for PS4, and I already have more than I have time to play.

Also, I recently played through both Octodad and Thomas Was Alone, two LRG releases that have reputations of being among the "worst" LRG releases, and I had fun with both. I don't think they have released very many stinkers. If you give a damn about pro scores, Metacritic backs that up. Most of LRG's releases have scored pretty decent, even better on average than the physical Vita releases coming out from other publishers, like NISA, IFI, Aksys, etc. Like I've always said, just about every LRG release has its fanbase. It's just that their releases are also very diverse, so unless someone has equally diverse tastes, most gamers are not going to be into some of the genres or types of games they've released (especially some of the more "controversial" genres, like visual novels and the games that people label as "walking simulators" and now we can add FMV games to that list). But that doesn't make them bad, and that doesn't mean LRG should narrow what they release to appeal to only one type of gamer while giving a big "fuck you" to everybody else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Anyone here able to get "Maldita Castilla" for PS4 via Play Asia? I just managed, by pure luck.
    Yeah, I snagged a copy. That's one of my favortie Ouya games, so to get it physically was too tempting to ignore, even though I hate play-asia as their shipping rates to Canada are atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    LRG is releasing Night Trap on the PS4. When I made the joke about shovelware coming from LRG, and saying that their releases are all over the place, this is what I'm talking about. LRG pretty much releases anything they can get their hands on, regardless of quality. It was pretty ingenious starting up LRG and announcing games with a predetermined number of units to the public with a number to each and every LRG title, and using your own games to start and get more money is a smart choice, so I can understand the games being poor then. But when there's over 50 LRG releases in less than two years and over half of them aren't good? It's clear as day they're grabbing whatever they can get as anyone with half a brain would know they're making some damn good profit each release. Would be nice if they went for less releases and released better games. I think they'd actually look like a solid publisher to the public honestly and get more of a following by releasing quality titles. Most people seem to have forgot about them or ignore their releases now because how often the releases are low quality.

Night Trap was unique for its time, and when it comes to Sega CD FMV crap, it was one of the better games, but it's more of a piece of history than a good game.
    The NightTrap HD remaster isn't shovelware. That was a high budget production for it's time and the crowdfunded remaster isn't being skimped over either. Also, people have a kitchy nostalgia for NightTrap - myself included. I'm looking forward to it and will buy a coph as long as it's not like $50 USD. Make it $24.99 like the others and I'll buy.

As far as LRG releasing pretty much anything they can get their hands on, I don't see that as a problem. What's "good" is highly subjective, especially regarding niche genres like visual novels, otome games, sports simulators, and other non-mainstream genres that indie games tend to get into.

The way I see it, if you aren't interested in what LRG is putting out in their next batch, then simply don't buy it. Nova 111 and Darius Burst will be out soon, and I'm not all that interested in either so I'm sitting this one out. Maybe next time will have games for me. If not, no big deal, I'll just wait until there's something I am interested in. I suggest you do that as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just tried to purchase the Dariusburst lmited edition. That thing sold out in less than 1 minute. Oh well, I guess I saved myself $100.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

On that note, man, would it be a dream come true if LRG could somehow do a physical run of Amnesia: Memories, considering IFI didn't see fit to do so.

As for today's batch, I just grabbed a DariusBurst LE and a Vita copy of Nova-111. Darius is sold out until the 6pm ET batch goes up, but there's still some Nova-111 left.

And with that, I may be done with LRG's PS4 releases. I wanna cut back on my spending a little, and the high price tag on the Darius LE is enough for me to be like "Okay, one last splurge and that's it". I honestly don't think the LE is a very good value. A whopping 40 extra bucks for just a box, a soundtrack, and a couple tiny plastic ships. But I adore Darius music and Zuntata as a whole, so if I loved hearing the music in-game, I could easily picture myself dropping $30 to import a retail OST. So that's how I justify it to myself, despite that soundtracks from LRG are usually only $15. Looking towards the future, Drive! Drive! Drive! is likely the next game LRG will release solely on PS4, and that seems like a decent point to break my LRG PS4 collection, as my interest in that is minimal. Likewise, I don't have any problem with the idea of passing on Tharsis and Night Trap. I still plan to get everything on Vita, though, as I love collecting for that system.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 04-28-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Darius out?
    *sigh* That's not an indie game, though I guess the owners of that franchise have OTHER games they're worried about. :P

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

More copies of both the LE and the standard release will be up at 6pm ET, so there's still another shot for those who weren't able to land a copy from the morning batch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Holy shit i was lucky!

I worked today so I told my brother to pick it up for me. Sent him the funds. He told me that immediately when it appeared, he managed to get the LE version and the two versions of Nova 111. Checkout went through and he messaged me at work telling me that the games were gotten and paid for. He then refreshed the Darius LE page and was immediately sold out. That shit went faster than any of the previous releases!

I knew this was going to happen. For some reason, people love Darius. Now if I can finally get a copy of their first release, Breach and Clear Vita...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Don't know why the Night Trap release would be upsetting. I paid for the Mad Dog McCree Wii release happily. Clean videoversions of American Laser Games stuff sounds great to me. Not trying to say it's a great game, but I'm sure I'm not the only idiot who likes that stuff.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The funny thing is that LRG said they got more tweets directed at them expressing excitement over the announcement of a physical PS4 print run of Night Trap than they got for almost every other release they've done. Clearly there are A LOT of people who don't see Night Trap as shovelware.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I still like Night Trap to this day, and I think I will purchase a copy of it when it gets released. Maybe it isn't a great game, but I have a great amount of nostalgia when it comes to those old CD games. Even if it sits on my shelf unopened, I won't regret buying it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I just tried to purchase the Dariusburst lmited edition. That thing sold out in less than 1 minute. Oh well, I guess I saved myself $100.
    That's how I see it. I'm not a big Darius fan. I mean, they're okay. but I tend to like Konami or Irem shooters to the Taito ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I just didn't even bother i imported dariusburst instead for the PS4,now i'm set.