Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 1124

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

  1. #581
    I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Porksta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

    Default

    I believe Wonder Boy was designed to look like a Master System game, was it not? Hence the black and white manual and other features.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

  2. #582
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    100
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, which is something I'm not thrilled about either, as I think Master System packaging was generally cheap and ugly, and I don't even associate the series with the Master System because I've played most of them on the PC Engine, including this particular game, as those versions are far superior to the crummy Master System versions. Are all Master System manuals black and white? It's been a long time since I've cracked open one of my SMS games, so I can't even remember if any are in color or not. Plus my Master System collection isn't huge to begin with. Either way, I don't think they should've held back on the finer details of the CE just to adhere to SMS standards.

  3. #583
    Peach (Level 3) Koa Zo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    632
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    I believe Wonder Boy was designed to look like a Master System game, was it not? Hence the black and white manual and other features.
    If that was the intention then the manual would be blue and white - which could have a been a cool nod to the source. For all the supposed reverence for the source material a full color manual showing off the artwork would have been appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Are all Master System manuals black and white?
    Master System manuals are all blue and white. In North America Sega never did full color manuals.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 08-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.

  4. #584
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    100
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    Ah, to be more accurate, the Wonder Boy manual is printed in a bluish tone, rather than black, so yeah, that further backs up it being intentional. Still would've preferred full-color, especially if they're gonna have pages showcasing monster art. On top of that, it's got a page of directions showing how to insert your Mega Cartridge into your system, showing an image of a Master System, and the Controls page shows the SMS controller and describes the controls based on that. It's cute but also kinda dumb because a manual should first and foremost be instructional. People can pretend all they want that this is a SMS game, but the reality is that this is a PS4 game, and if I'm reading how the controls work, I want the actual PS4 buttons to be named.

    Personally, I think a CE should be more about honoring the game and/or its series than hardware the series used to appear on. Despite that I love the series, I feel like I'm not really in the target audience for this CE, as it seems to be more about Master System nostalgia than Wonder Boy itself.

  5. #585
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    100
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    LRG shared their plans for Ys Origin today. While the CE will be limited to 3000 per platform, the standard edition will be a preorder with no limits, with an ordering window of 24 hours. I wish they left it open for at least a week, but either way, it should prevent some of the madness seen with Wonder Boy and Night Trap. The only cover variant they'll have is a PS4 variant sold at PAX West that'll later be sold on the site as well. The CE is a little lackluster with only an art book and poster along with the game in the CE box. For a series so famous for its music, you'd think they'd include a soundtrack. But at least it isn't over double the price of standard copies.

    What cracked me up while reading the email was this line about Ys Origin: "Best described as an arcade-like platformer RPG with Metroidvania elements". Yeaaaahhhh, if you name-drop four different incongruous genres, you're prooobably not describing a game in the best was possible, haha. You wanna know my description? It's a frickin' adventure game, LRG. Or you can call it an action RPG but I hate that term myself.

  6. #586
    Kirby (Level 13) megasdkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,138
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

    Default

    But it is...kinda. $54.99 for a poster and an extra knick knack? I rather get the preorder one.
    Game Wants: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121467
    Completed US CIB Collections: Atari 7800, Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Jesus christ. Half the internet is truly retarded.

  7. #587
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    100
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Default

    Don't forget the CE box itself! It's kinda sad and pathetic when there's so little inside the box that they gotta hype up the box itself. Though I guess for all the people keeping LRG's CEs sealed, the box is literally the only part they can enjoy. I'm a sucker for LEs, so I still plan to pick it up, but LRG's are easily among the worst values out of all the various publishers I buy LEs from.

  8. #588
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Don't forget the CE box itself! It's kinda sad and pathetic when there's so little inside the box that they gotta hype up the box itself. Though I guess for all the people keeping LRG's CEs sealed, the box is literally the only part they can enjoy. I'm a sucker for LEs, so I still plan to pick it up, but LRG's are easily among the worst values out of all the various publishers I buy LEs from.
    Yep, the CE is very disappointing. I know music rights can be tough, but a soundtrack would have been nice or some other little item rather than a poster, box and flimsy art book.

  9. #589
    Kirby (Level 13) megasdkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    5,138
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

    Default

    I will go for the CE as well, at least the Vita version of it. Then get the standard PS4 version of Ys. Then the two Kemco RPG's.

    Very sad CE, but I'm a sucker for it anyway.

    Still, I would love to have seen a music CD in the package as well.
    Game Wants: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121467
    Completed US CIB Collections: Atari 7800, Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Jesus christ. Half the internet is truly retarded.

  10. #590
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    I'd like to go for the standard edition of both PS4 games this Friday. I open and play all the games I get from LRG, so I don't necessarily need any of the box sets. I spent a good amount of time playing Wonderboy yesterday and think it is awesome. The visuals and music are both spectacular. The last Ys game I played was 7 (I think) for PSP. I'm a sucker for RPGs so I'd like to get these games. I can't wait to try my copy of Night Trap when it comes in as well. Last I played it was the 32X version when it was fairly new. I have a soft spot for some of those early Digital Pictures games.

  11. #591
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    LRG stated they would look into making a CE better than their average CE after the Heavy Arms Asian CE was announced, only for them to cost $55 for pretty much nothing in comparison. Not only that, but Doug was going out of his way to make people avoid purchasing the Heavy Arms CE stated they should wait until they see LRG and that the CE version of Ys Origins from Heavy Arms isn't in English despite Heavy Arms announcing it as such. Here's the $60 Heavy Arms CE of Ys Origins.



    I already have Ys Origins preordered for PS4 and Vita from Play-Asia, but I'm ocd about even the smallest detail. Both the ratings are different, plus the buttons will be reversed so o will be accept and x will be cancelled, and while I play import games and deal with it if I have to(for button changes on the PS4 I use the accessibility options to change x to o and o to x.) Was waiting for just in case I miss the LRG release, but once I preorder both copies of Ys, I'll cancel the Play Asia preorders.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  12. #592
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    LRG stated they would look into making a CE better than their average CE after the Heavy Arms Asian CE was announced, only for them to cost $55 for pretty much nothing in comparison. Not only that, but Doug was going out of his way to make people avoid purchasing the Heavy Arms CE stated they should wait until they see LRG and that the CE version of Ys Origins from Heavy Arms isn't in English despite Heavy Arms announcing it as such. Here's the $60 Heavy Arms CE of Ys Origins.



    I already have Ys Origins preordered for PS4 and Vita from Play-Asia, but I'm ocd about even the smallest detail. Both the ratings are different, plus the buttons will be reversed so o will be accept and x will be cancelled, and while I play import games and deal with it if I have to(for button changes on the PS4 I use the accessibility options to change x to o and o to x.) Was waiting for just in case I miss the LRG release, but once I preorder both copies of Ys, I'll cancel the Play Asia preorders.
    Just an FYI, as of today, Heavy Arms is responding to people asking about the alleged Asian CE of Ys by saying ""We have stopped taking orders for this item because it may not exist according to the worldwide publisher." So, it may be that LRG was correct to warn people about preordering something that doesn't exist.

  13. #593
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Has anyone gotten their shipping confirmation for Night Trap yet? I got mine for the Bunker but not NT yet. I did make 2 separate orders for them, so I am expecting them to ship separately.

  14. #594
    I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Porksta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,755
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Has anyone gotten their shipping confirmation for Night Trap yet? I got mine for the Bunker but not NT yet. I did make 2 separate orders for them, so I am expecting them to ship separately.
    I got mine today.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

  15. #595
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Just an FYI, as of today, Heavy Arms is responding to people asking about the alleged Asian CE of Ys by saying ""We have stopped taking orders for this item because it may not exist according to the worldwide publisher." So, it may be that LRG was correct to warn people about preordering something that doesn't exist.
    This was right after they stated that on all the promotional material they've received that the supplier has sent, it shows the PS4 game having English, Korean, and simplified Chinese. I think everyone knows the artbook and CD aren't going to be in English, and that should be assumed, but the game may actually be English. LRG is stating that DotEmu has got in contact with Arc System Works who states that it's not in English, but why would LRG be going out of their way like this if it's not just to sell more copies of their own release. Whether it's true or not, I can bet you Doug wouldn't be spreading this information if they had no plans of ever releasing Ys Origins.

    I'd hope that this mistake didn't happen for those who did preordering it hoping for the English version of the game after they were told. If it doesn't have English then we'll say that LRG did have the best interest of the consumer in mind. Though as I said, they'd never make these comments if they weren't releasing the game themselves, but still, we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and that they are infact doing this solely for the customers and not what's obviously profit. I mean come on, not printing until September, LRG is trying to get their sales in early to lock everyone interested in getting it down. LRG is "selling theirs sooner than everyone else," but in reality we're just preordering the game and they all print at the same time. "Not shipping until October." So many signs point to "doing everything we can on this release for the money." Even a blind man could see it. We'll see in a month what happens with the whole English/Chinese debacle, but everything else, LRG just wants to cash in before everyone else does.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-24-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  16. #596
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,737
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Has anyone gotten their shipping confirmation for Night Trap yet? I got mine for the Bunker but not NT yet. I did make 2 separate orders for them, so I am expecting them to ship separately.
    Got my copy yesterday of night trap beside getting wonderboy the week before.I'm good for now on LRG purchases unless i go for Ys Oirgins,which i'm tempted to preorder.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-24-2017 at 05:45 AM.

  17. #597
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Btw, didn' think about this until now, but to confirm with Aussie2B, you're right about LRG not having any more stickers and postcards. Neurovoider included a card, a LRG reward ticket, and an artbook.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  18. #598
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Got my copy yesterday of night trap beside getting wonderboy the week before.I'm good for now on LRG purchases unless i go for Ys Oirgins,which i'm tempted to preorder.
    I haven't even gotten a tracking number yet. I hope I can just shoot them an e-mail and see whats up.

  19. #599
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This was right after they stated that on all the promotional material they've received that the supplier has sent, it shows the PS4 game having English, Korean, and simplified Chinese. I think everyone knows the artbook and CD aren't going to be in English, and that should be assumed, but the game may actually be English. LRG is stating that DotEmu has got in contact with Arc System Works who states that it's not in English, but why would LRG be going out of their way like this if it's not just to sell more copies of their own release. Whether it's true or not, I can bet you Doug wouldn't be spreading this information if they had no plans of ever releasing Ys Origins.

    I'd hope that this mistake didn't happen for those who did preordering it hoping for the English version of the game after they were told. If it doesn't have English then we'll say that LRG did have the best interest of the consumer in mind. Though as I said, they'd never make these comments if they weren't releasing the game themselves, but still, we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and that they are infact doing this solely for the customers and not what's obviously profit. I mean come on, not printing until September, LRG is trying to get their sales in early to lock everyone interested in getting it down. LRG is "selling theirs sooner than everyone else," but in reality we're just preordering the game and they all print at the same time. "Not shipping until October." So many signs point to "doing everything we can on this release for the money." Even a blind man could see it. We'll see in a month what happens with the whole English/Chinese debacle, but everything else, LRG just wants to cash in before everyone else does.
    The initial run of the Ys games is already in replication with Sony and will be back well before October. Whatever is done as a preorder tomorrow in excess of the already ordered copies will likely not ship until October. I'm not sure what your issue is with them trying to generate a profit here and protect their potential market. They're a business and they believed they had the worldwide exclusive to an English CE only to find out that there may have been another in some ways better version competing with them (which apparently doesn't exist, at least in all English form). They certainly had a business motivation to clear up what their deal really meant and also to convince potential buyers to get their release rather than skipping it in the belief that there was another better version coming. "Cash in" makes them sound sleazy when in fact they're just doing what every other well run business does with a product. I still think you have trouble understanding that businesses and the people that run them aren't just black and white caricatures. They have complex motivations and can both be about maximizing profit and also about trying to help consumers. In fact, the best businesses are those that are a good balance between those things.

  20. #600
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    The initial run of the Ys games is already in replication with Sony and will be back well before October. Whatever is done as a preorder tomorrow in excess of the already ordered copies will likely not ship until October.
    Based on a quote from Doug the day before yesterday, this isn't true.

    But again, this is a test. If we sell fewer units doing this than we had originally planned we will be scrapping this idea.
    If they already had the initial pre planned print run, you think he would of said this? While I hope they do sell more than planned so they continue to do this on the bigger releases, is it fair to scrap the idea based on sales of a game that can be bought elsewhere? Why not test it out on a game that's actually exclusive to them. However, I do think it will hit it's goal, as I think Ys has a bigger niche audience than WonderBoy, being a classic RPG series that has been released regularly to this day, so fans of the genre like Johnny from Happy Console Gamer all the way up to people who never heard of the series until the PSP or Vita releases.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Retro City Rampage Vita physical copies
    By mailman187666 in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 07:46 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  4. Physical Copies Going Away?
    By Some1 in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •