Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The first batch of Crawl and 2064: Read Only Memories, both for PS4, have gone up, along with a bunch of 2064: ROM merch.

Also of interest is a little survey they're doing where you can weigh in on their CEs, rate of releases, and a bunch of other stuff: https://t.co/JIyYuFYgjb

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, they don't have much history in it yet, with only Shovel Knight and Undertale (and with the former, they only acted as the distributor), but the rarity of Shovel Knight was about on par with a LRG release (they made 5000). I don't know if anyone has released numbers for Undertale. Quality-wise, I'd say they're a step above. Shovel Knight was only $25, which is as low as LRG prices go, for a game that's arguably more acclaimed than practically any indie LRG has released, plus it came with a nice 40-some page full-color manual, when most LRG releases either don't have a manual or it's been some little chintzy thing like the manuals with Xeodrifter and Thomas Was Alone. With Undertale, the quality of the LE absolutely blows LRG's CEs out of the water. It's better than most LEs I have period. The standard release is also $25 like Shovel Knight, and it comes with a really neat story booklet that's been made to look like a Little Golden Book (this is also in the LE).
    Sounds like they're pretty good then. I guess the only thing to consider is if they're reliable with packing and shipping but they probably would be. Still very tempting then to buy from them. I'm hoping their PC releases are big boxes but the size doesn't really matter that much.

Right now I only have the internet through my smart phone so I don't check this site as often as I used to. My replies are getting later somewhat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Just when I thought I was safe...yet ANOTHER release...and to make things worse, on BLACK FRIDAY. Great just great. I have enough issues getting the regular releases now (remember, no electricity and extremely limited internet), but offering it that particular day... frigging great. Thanks LRG... 😠
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I honestly don't know what LRG is thinking lately. They announce Super GunWorld 2 three days before release, and it's only getting 2000 copies, making it the second lowest PS4 print run from LRG. On top of that, Claire is only getting 2500 copies on each platform, which are print run sizes we haven't seen in over a year. Why are we going backwards here? It's been great seeing many of the recent releases last all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Sounds like they're pretty good then. I guess the only thing to consider is if they're reliable with packing and shipping but they probably would be.
    Fangamer seemed disorganized in getting Undertale shipped out. It seemed like they got overwhelmed with the volume. Originally, all the standard copies ordered and the first batch of the LEs were to go out in late September, but shipping only begun then and continued for a good month or more. They claimed they'd be shipping out LEs before the standard copies, yet I was seeing people receiving standard copies before my LE had shipped. Ultimately, I waited patiently for like three weeks or some such and finally caved and sent an e-mail. It then got shipped out right after that. It seemed like a squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of situation, and goodness knows how much longer I would've waited had I not sent the e-mail. The packing was adequate. It was first put in cardboard and then in an envelope. I've seen better packaging of LEs (like NISA using thick bubble wrap), but it was good enough to get here unharmed. With Shovel Knight, it was shipped quickly and also showed up in perfect shape.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 11-22-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Can anyone help me with Super Gunworld 2? Since it's 2 per person, it might be possible. Only want one copy of course. Any help would be great! 😃

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Fangamer seemed disorganized in getting Undertale shipped out. It seemed like they got overwhelmed with the volume. Originally, all the standard copies ordered and the first batch of the LEs were to go out in late September, but shipping only begun then and continued for a good month or more. They claimed they'd be shipping out LEs before the standard copies, yet I was seeing people receiving standard copies before my LE had shipped. Ultimately, I waited patiently for like three weeks or some such and finally caved and sent an e-mail. It then got shipped out right after that. It seemed like a squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of situation, and goodness knows how much longer I would've waited had I not sent the e-mail. The packing was adequate. It was first put in cardboard and then in an envelope. I've seen better packaging of LEs (like NISA using thick bubble wrap), but it was good enough to get here unharmed. With Shovel Knight, it was shipped quickly and also showed up in perfect shape.
    I gave in and bought what I wanted yesterday for cyber Monday, kind of as a birthday present for myself as it's coming up soon. Shipping was discounted to free which was really nice, and I didn't need to sign up for an account to make the purchase which I greatly liked. I hate having to sign up for accounts online so I usually avoid registering to many places. Today I got an email saying it's already been shipped out and I have a tracking number, which I'm surprised with as it's still listed as a preorder item. I'm just hoping it'll arrive safely at this point. This is just the second time I've bought anything online myself and the last time was in 2008. It's also been ages since I've paid more than $5 total for any game.

If you're curious what I ordered my avatar should be a good clue.

Side note, looking at LRG releases are they really mostly just for PS4 and Vita? As much as I like the Shantae releases I have no plans to ever buy those consoles.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I gave in and bought what I wanted yesterday for cyber Monday, kind of as a birthday present for myself as it's coming up soon. Shipping was discounted to free which was really nice, and I didn't need to sign up for an account to make the purchase which I greatly liked. I hate having to sign up for accounts online so I usually avoid registering to many places. Today I got an email saying it's already been shipped out and I have a tracking number, which I'm surprised with as it's still listed as a preorder item. I'm just hoping it'll arrive safely at this point. This is just the second time I've bought anything online myself and the last time was in 2008. It's also been ages since I've paid more than $5 total for any game.

If you're curious what I ordered my avatar should be a good clue.

Side note, looking at LRG releases are they really mostly just for PS4 and Vita? As much as I like the Shantae releases I have no plans to ever buy those consoles.
    So far all of the LRG releases are PS4, Vita and a few PC. They were recently approved to start doing Switch releases and the first of those should roll out in early 2018.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Windjammers and Claire: Extended Cut, each on both PS4 and Vita, with standard and collector's edition versions of Windjammers, as well as a bunch of Windjammers merch, have both been put up for sale, though the first batch has sold out.

Today, I decided to rule out another aspect of my LRG collecting. First, I stopped buying every platform variant of their releases, then I stopped buying any of their PS4 releases unless it's the once in a blue moon release of something I just gotta have, and now I'm saying to heck with the cover variants. They've gone way overboard to a stupid degree with those, so even though I got the variants for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and Runner 2, I decided to pass on the standard edition of Windjammers, even though it has a different cover from what's in the CE. The cover variant situation is even more BS than usual with this release since they could've (and should've) just made the CE copies have a reversible cover, with the side exclusive to the CE facing outward. A CE, with its higher price tag, should have everything the standard edition gets and then some. It's total nonsense for people to pay over twice the price and still not even be able to use the standard edition's cover if they'd like to. Personally, I also would've preferred the cover of the game to differ from the CE box, rather than both using the same art.

If I weren't so big on collecting LEs in general, I think I'd stop buying LRG's CEs too. Between the excessively high price tags compared to what you receive, the mediocre quality of what you receive, the cover variant nonsense, and the whopping $12.50 they charged me for shipping on this, they're hardly worth it. I don't know what the heck is up with the shipping cost this time. I've bought CEs from LRG four times before, and I never got charged that much for shipping. The La-Mulana EX CE cost me the usual $5.50 on shipping, same with Wonder Boy, and same with DariusBurst, which I even got another game with. The Ys Origin CE + Asdivine Hearts set me back $7 on shipping.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

While not from LRG, another limited physical PS4/Vita release that LRG customers may be interested in is available for purchase starting today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tey-action-rpg

SkullPirates is from the same developer as Plague Road, but for this game, they're using Eastasiasoft to produce physical copies (so I guess it's technically an Asian region release?). Physical copies are only available through this Kickstarter campaign. An unlimited number of standard copies can be ordered, but they're also offering an LE of which they're only producing 250 for each platform. I just barely got in on the double pack (one Vita LE, one PS4 LE), which saves $10 per LE, but the LEs can still be bought individually.

Edit: Looks like they shuffled the numbers, making more of the double packs available. Grab 'em while you can if you're interested.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 12-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

LRG is definitely catering to collectors. All these variants are done on purpose so that collectors shell out more for variants. They know this so they do it on purpose. But it's getting to a point of it being a bit... abusive. Their CE/LE games are lacking and expensive,other cover variant is just a way to make collectors buy more copies...it's asinine. I'm happy im not that type of collector, but I still want LE's whenever possible.

Oh, and once again they are doing weekly releases? This really has to stop.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I think they've evolved from "catering to" to "taking advantage of". All the CEs and variants are starting to feel pretty predatory, especially toward collectors who have OCD tendencies. In all my many years interacting with fellow collectors, I've come across very few who have said they actively enjoy buying up cover variants. Usually it's something they begrudgingly do, just because they want a full set of some form and feel "forced" to get all the variants. Myself, I didn't mind when they were reversible. Since I'd open my copies anyway, I didn't care which side was initially facing out. Once opened, there's no difference between one copy and the next, and it's nice to have the option to choose which cover you'd like to look at. But now that they're pulling crap like with Windjammers (which on top of the cover variants, even has a frickin' frisbee variant) and the whopping three covers for 2064, there's really no positive spin I can put on any of this. It's just them squeezing collectors for extra money. I'm glad the upcoming SteamWorld games are more like how LRG releases used to be. Only $25 apiece, and every copy contains both covers. I'm also glad to somewhat spare myself from their release schedule, since I just pass on the weeks with nothing but PS4 releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I thought next week was Double Dragon IV and Rivercity Random Melee?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, they are. Then the SteamWorld games on the 15th. Last I heard, there's only one Friday this month with no releases. Not sure if that's gonna be the 22nd or the 29th. I know Mecho Tales is still planned for sometime this month.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Other than the Steamworld games, don't have much interest as apparently RCR and DD are pretty mediocre. Mecho Tales has a red flag of being developed by Luc Bernard. Anyone have any experience with these games? Are they good?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah, I think they've evolved from "catering to" to "taking advantage of". All the CEs and variants are starting to feel pretty predatory, especially toward collectors who have OCD tendencies.
    People don't have to buy them, or is that not what you stated to me when I was complaining that they were doing too many releases, variants, etc, just because they know collectors are super OCD and will buy them? That they were releasing everything could rather than actually going for better titles. Look at the recent list of releases though. December 1st was the first week and they've released two games, they're releasing two more games on December 8th. The Steamworld Dig games are releasing December 15th, so that's three weeks in a row so far and six games, plus depending on the game there's both PS4 and Vita versions. If you don't take into consideration that it's a different month, November 24th was Super Gunworld 2, November 17th had two others, and November 10th two more. So six weeks in a row they released 11 games. If you guys don't realize it's all about the money at this point, then you really are blind. I do appreciate them still being in business though as they actually have been releasing good titles lately, Ys Origin, Nex Machina, La Mulana, Windjammers, and Wonderboy for instance.

I also bought Windjammers for PS4 and Vita, but they stated "we're only going to ever go up $10 on what it is to purchase the game at its current MSRP(no sale price)." Windjammers is $15 on PSN but it's $30 through LRG. Now they're pricing specific games higher because of the popularity of the game to collectors and the cost of the Neo Geo version. The promotional page from DotEmu shows Windjammers launching at $14.99. http://www.dotemu.com/PressKit/sheet...es/Windjammers

Aside from this post which was just because of a reply, I've actually stopped complaining about them though as I've realized, why waste time complaining about something that's never going to change. I'll just continue buying what I'm interested in and skip what I'm not. I'll make comments about the ones I'm not interested in, like the River City games being crap in my opinion and passing on Double Dragon 4 for it just looking like a really bad fan made game with tons of technical issues, but won't be complaining about LRG any longer.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-03-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No, I never said that in response you to complaining about variants or anything along those lines. In fact, I don't recall you ever complaining about such a thing in this topic. What you complain about is specific releases, of games you personally think suck and thus shouldn't be released by LRG. That's apples and oranges. I would never say that LRG shouldn't release any of the games they're releasing because I know that, even if I don't want one, and even if I think it's a bad game, a lot of other people do like it and do want the opportunity to buy it physically. Virtually no one wants variants. In fact, gamers are happier when they don't exist. You just buy the one version and you're done. You don't feel like you missed out on anything (your preferred cover), you don't feel obligated to buy multiple copies, or any of the other negative feelings associated with variants. I can pass on them, sure, but that does nothing to help the availability of these games when they sell out even faster because more people are double/triple/etc. dipping just to have every variant, among other issues.

As for the pricing, it's not a matter of popularity. Unfortunately, LRG lied to us when they said they wouldn't be passing the ESRB costs to the consumer. With Windjammers, it was a combination of the ESRB costs + there were more companies involved in the release than most from LRG, so more dividing of the pie. Super GunWorld 2 was also more than $10 above its PSN price. In that case, they said it was the ESRB costs + the low print run size. They've said that every release with a print run that small will have to be more than the usual +$10 to be financially viable. Of course they could solve this by just making bigger print run sizes. I didn't pay close attention, but from what I understand, Super GunWorld 2 sold out quickly. There is no rhyme nor reason to go backwards and return to these tiny print run sizes. I don't know if it's the developer being stupidly cautious or what. Claire had too small of a run too, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not only small print runs, but the asinine "two copies per customer", EVEN on LE/CE copies! Just take a look at the limited editions of DD4 and Rivercity...1,900 copies and TWO per customer. LRG should only allow, at first, one copy per customer. If the game does not sell in 24 hours, then remove the limitation. As it stands, basically 800 people have a shot at the LE version, as many will purchase two to scalp the second copy.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It seems to be their response to their CEs selling slower lately. Instead of being like "our standard copies are selling faster because customers are concluding that LRG CEs are overpriced for what they offer and not worth it" and trying to do something about that, they seem to think the solution is to court scalpers and collectors who feel they have to have one CE sealed and one CE open. But I think they're foolish if they believe scalpers can offset the people passing on their CEs because of their mediocre quality, considering, more than ever, LRG games, even the CEs, sell for around the same on eBay as from LRG, sometimes even less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Double Dragon IV sold out fast!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

SteamWorld Dig for Vita, SteamWorld Heist for Vita, and what remains of the PSX cover variant of Nex Machina for PS4 have been put up for sale today.

It's nice to see a return to the basics. Though a double pack like the other physical SteamWorld releases would've been nicer, at least each was only $25, no overpriced CEs, and, hallelujah, they're listening to feedback about all the cover variant insanity. For the first time ever, I believe, a game with a reversible cover from LRG has ALL copies with the same side facing out, so sealed collectors don't feel like they have to order two copies.