Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1249

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If a repro is 100% unauthorized, then yeah, you may as well pirate since goodness knows who your money is going to with those repros. There's often a fine line, if any line at all, between repros and bootlegs, and a lot of these "repros" coming out of China are only different from traditional Chinese bootlegs in that they're not contemporary with the original, official release. And when you're talking Chinese bootlegs, you very well may be funding organized crime. I think a lot of people are inclined to be dismissive of that, since they can't picture their niche hobbies like retro games, anime, soundtracks, etc. having anything to do with literal mafias, but those people will try to make a buck wherever they see one to be made, even if it means selling "nerdy" goods.

On the other hand, you've got partially licensed repros like these from LRG. They're not licensed by the hardware manufacturers, since a company like Nintendo obviously isn't in the business of putting out new releases on long ago retired hardware, but they're licensed and authorized by the publisher of the IP. In this case, your money actually does reach the people who made the game (or published it, at least), so that's preferable over pirating. (Granted, that's also preferable to the publisher over people buying secondhand copies of the original release, but when you put out a physical product, you have to expect reselling.)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm not even thinking piracy, it's more a question of authenticity. It's not a true release, in my book, so there's no "collecting value."

As for the IP's, well they're normally worth hundreds of billions so this is like a speck to them either way. The old publishing houses are mostly dead, and you're just making some vampire/garbage picker a tiny pittance.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, "collecting value" is totally in the eye of the beholder. No games, authentic or not, have any collecting value to someone who has no interest in games. On the flip side, plenty of people have all sorts of fanmade items related to games like art prints, comics, music CDs, etc., just because they enjoy having them, even though they're not licensed in any shape or form. Fanmade items can even command some decent monetary value on the secondhand market sometimes.

I bring up piracy since that's what using an Everdrive amounts to. You may as well go that route if the repros are effectively physical pirates. But when there's a reasonable way to buy legally, either by buying a used copy or some form of currently available licensed (whether fully or partially licensed) copy, I'll always go that route. But I'll always go for the fully licensed copy over the partially licensed copy unless we're talking a game where the original is like $100+. But realistically, I already have so many games that I'd probably just skip an expensive game entirely rather than drop money on a repro.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

From what I remember those Star Wars games on the NES and Gameboy were almost unplayable and aren't worth owning today. Those games don't need any reprints, I would prefer if some fan translated games finally got official releases like Sweet Home or Clock Tower. Those would be worth buying unlike these rereleases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    On the other hand, you've got partially licensed repros like these from LRG. They're not licensed by the hardware manufacturers, since a company like Nintendo obviously isn't in the business of putting out new releases on long ago retired hardware, but they're licensed and authorized by the publisher of the IP. In this case, your money actually does reach the people who made the game (or published it, at least), so that's preferable over pirating. (Granted, that's also preferable to the publisher over people buying secondhand copies of the original release, but when you put out a physical product, you have to expect reselling.)
    It's funny how the terminology within collecting has changed over the years as people used to refer to cartridges from Tengen or Camerica as "unlicensed" while those weren't pirated and were made and approved of by the rights holders of those games.

I remember people used to like repros except for destroying existing games during the production of them, back before flash carts were a thing. It used to be the only way to play unreleased games on actual hardware, and they usually weren't too expensive to make back then, and they were only made by hobbyists with decent soldering skills as they took actual effort to produce. Times have changed quite a bit since then.

Also people used to collect pirated games like multicarts as they were somewhat rare pieces of interest, now they're just treated like trash entirely.

Fanmade items can even command some decent monetary value on the secondhand market sometimes.
    Like the English Mother 3 strategy guide which was made by the fan translators of the game. Some fan produced stuff is actually interesting and high quality.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't say terminology has really changed. It just has to account for a wider range of scenarios these days. Tengen and Camerica NES carts are still referred to as unlicensed. In that case, it's just shorthand for "unlicensed by Nintendo". Back when the NES was alive, everything fell into the categories of licensed, unlicensed, or pirated. Identifying an NES game from back then as unlicensed distinguishes it from bootlegs, so it goes without saying that the game is authorized by those who developed it. A key distinction between those and games like LRG's Star Wars rereleases is that unlicensed games that came out when the NES was alive COULD have been licensed. These publishers just chose to release unlicensed games because they didn't want to pay Nintendo's licensee fees, or maybe they didn't want to be limited to five NES releases a year, or maybe they just didn't have the confidence that their games would get the Nintendo Seal of Quality right off the bat and would require costly revisions at Nintendo's behest. On the other hand, modern NES releases literally have no option but to be unlicensed from Nintendo.

I wouldn't expect fan-translated games from LRG, or anybody else trying to do things as officially and legally as possible. Fan translations almost never make the transition to official localizations. It's legally murky, and even if you go that route, you still need professionals to comb through the translation to confirm its accuracy, edit, perform QA, etc. It's too costly of an endeavor for an old game that's only going to be available via a couple thousand physical copies. And doing an official localization from scratch is even more cost prohibitive. It only worked for The House in Fata Morgana because it's on modern systems, is available digitally as well, and likely used the PC localization as a base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Preorder,timespinner for switch since i'm in the mood for another metroidvania.The most recent e-mail from lrg shows they will be doing a physical release,river city girls and that is wayforward take on the kunio-kun series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrc5Jzm2wc
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-16-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think, at this point, I'm probably never going to get caught up on my master list of LRG releases. It's lacking the most recent info going back to the June 28th sale. LRG is just releasing too much too frequently for me to keep up with, and it gets all the more complicated with all the CEs, open preorders, the fact that nothing is released in sequential order anymore, and so on. On top of that, I'm not interested in buying most of what LRG puts out these days. I've been buying all the Vita releases, but that's it. So if anyone wants to take the reins on my list, you're welcome to do so.

As for my buying, getting the remaining Vita games has been a trying experience. I haven't missed anything completely yet, but I had to retry during the second batch to get the Atari CE. It's frustrating that LRG won't set Vita games to 1 per customer for both batches. And there's the fact they jacked up the price on Revenant Dogma just because they canceled other Kemco Vita RPGs (which I wish they hadn't, as I would've rather had more of those than some of the other remaining Vita releases). And despite the Vita games getting manufactured in advance, I'm building up a decent sized backlog of unfulfilled orders again. Why couldn't they manufacture the CE components in advance too?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I finally received my London Detective Mysteria soundtrack bundle and The House in Fata Morgana CE, and LRG is really dropping the ball with packaging (more than ever), both inside their CEs and for mailing. All that was inside the box to provide padding was a few small, folded up pieces of paper. Even though the shipping box looked just fine, my Mysteria OST showed up with a big crack in its jewel case, and while Fata Morgana's outer box looks fine too, it looks like whoever or whatever packed the CE together didn't give a shit about what they were doing. The section of tray between the game and the OST is torn loose, so those two items are barely gripped in place, and CE box is barely big enough to contain the tray. And it's designed in such a way that you have to pull the whole tray out to access everything, and then you practically need a PhD to get the damn thing back inside. It takes more force than I'm comfortable with to pull things out and put things back in, and I eventually gave up on trying to put the tray in back exactly as it was. Instead, I flipped it around, so the game is facing the back of the box rather than the front. The tray just catches on the opposite flap of the CE box, and the artbook catches on the flap inside the tray too. It's all such a terrible design, and this is what you get for a CE that was a whopping $85. But so many of the people buying LRG's CEs never actually open them up or care about anything but how the outer box looks, so LRG couldn't care less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Finally,got my copy of the messenger from srg.They had a screw up in it's production so it's physical released was delayed After hearing enough good things on river city girls i preorder a copy of it at lrg for switch.Id pass on the collectors edition of shunmue III i'm fine just buying the game stand alone when it hit's retail.Also LRG had it's update for celeste the dlc is out now so it goes into manufacturing at this point.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-11-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I stopped getting LRG CE's as they are just trash for the most part. Most of them are crap fillers, and to make matters worse, they raise the price to an all time high. A huge scam in a way, so I avoid them.

I stopped getting most of their releases. Can't wait for the last 3 Vita releases and I'm done with them. Though I'm going to sell many of them anyway.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm having a hard time wanting to give them my business as well.
    Just received my Giga Wrecker CE and there was no bubble wrap at all at the ends of the CE box, just a loose wrap around the "waist" of the box.
    The shipping box had empty space at the ends, and the CE box was just free to slide back and forth in there. It is crushed and banged-up at both ends.
    I've asked for a replacement, we'll see how this works out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

LRG has dug deep, probably as deep as bottom of the barrel trash you can get. If Kemco isn't bad enough, they're now releasing Compile Heart games. They're now the publishers of two of the worst JRPG companies in the industry. It's literally incredible how much absolute sh** they publish on a weekly basis, they've even surpassed my expectations.

I've made it a point to call out Compile Heart games at every turn, I'm sure I've said it here. So proof I'm not crapping on LRG just because it's LRG.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-17-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'll take games from Kemco and Idea Factory International over like 90% of the other stuff LRG releases. I'd prefer IFI just publish their own physical print runs, but it's a good move for LRG and should allow physical print runs of games from more developers than just Compile Heart, though they've made some good games.

It's pretty hilarious that someone who supposedly hates Compile Heart with a passion has a Neptunia avatar in his sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's pretty hilarious that someone who supposedly hates Compile Heart with a passion has a Neptunia avatar in his sig.
    The one good thing about the Neptunia games are their characters, atleast somewhat. Some of them I can't stand, but some of the dialogue is great, pretty much anything and everything from Iffy especially. I've never been able to power through and finish any of the games though because they're just complete trash gameplay wise. Now, maybe I'll be able to finish that one made by Sting(amazing dev) but most of their games in general suck.

The last one I've played I bought because it was really reminiscent of Phantasy Star Online. That one 4 Goddesses Online game. When I played it though, unbelievably bad. I can get extra attacks off than intended because you can block mid attack to cancel the animation and then attack again, making the DPS from whichever character was the Samurai class far higher than any other class(atleast as far as I got.) Without grinding I never once had to retry a mission. They kept giving me trophies every minute. It's like in five hours of gameplay I got 40 trophies, basically trophy loaded to try and sucker other people into purchasing the game thinking that the player was collecting trophies because it's so good, but yeah... it's not. Compete garbage. I think I played about 10 hours before I quit. Far more time than this pos game deserved.

I haven't updated my PSN profile in a long time so it doesn't ever update. I've changed my avatar awhile ago to Veronica from DQ11. I'll update it to PSN profiles so it atleast changes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

27th was the last day to order gunvolt chronicles luminous avenger ix.I do find it odd the next gunvolt is not being sold at retail but in any case i put my order in at lrg for it.For as preorders goes LRG is open now for blazing chrome,game came out months ago digitally but it's finally getting a physical release.If you're looking for a run'n'gun to play that's similar to the likes of contra and metal slug it's definitely a must buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzR7ldgPDro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I watched a review of it and then watched the beginning of the first level of Blazing Chrome. I was already sold after the review, but wanted to see how the level design was for the game in regular play not cutting between areas and looks great, so I'll stopped there and will pick it up. I'm going to wait though because since it's preorder I'll pick it up during a week there's something else I'm interested in.

The only thing I saw in the review that I don't like is the scaling stages. Your characters still run left to right despite the scaling stage coming towards you. I don't see why they couldn't have made your characters run forward and then shoot to the sides. Either way looks pretty awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Received celeste finally after months of delay since lrg was waiting on that dlc.I got river city girls shortly after i wasn't expecting that one so quickly either which also includes,soundtrack.Last week i put in a order for blazing chrome for PS4 on it's last day for ordering.I see,LRG is taking orders for battle princess madelyn finally but i think i'll pass.If i want a copy of the game id be fine just importing instead the japanese version plus it's multi-language.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

LRG is publishing Divinity Original Sin 2. While I believe the games biggest design issue comes from the split armor types, something that is integral to the core gameplay, everything else about this entire game is amazing and for those who purchase Switch games, this is truly a must own game. If you play strategy games in any form or RPGs in any form just buy it, don't give it a second thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

So anyone hear about the situation that occurred with LRG a few weeks ago? The banning of a member called "Brivot"? I had front seats since he's in the FB group when everything blew up!

Personally, while the guy was being a bit of a dick, LRG really fucked up their PR and shows how shaddy they can be. Over a freaking meme (there was history prior to the incident, but this was thr issue that really caused shit to hit the fan).

Anyone hear about this?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I heard a little bit about it, but I honestly didn't care enough to look into it, haha. It's nothing new to me that the LRG guys take things too personally and overreact sometimes. I'm more concerned with how they handle their products and the process of selling them. I don't like this bait-and-switch they've been doing with some of their CEs, like for Celeste and Atari Flashback Classics, where they show and promise one thing and then change the design later, even when a lot of people are buying because of the design that was advertised (and LRG hasn't been saying anything about the designs being subject to change). And then there's the whole mess with Night Trap on Vita. It took over a year to get a patch to make the game beatable, and LRG still takes no ownership of the situation. Making a patch was out of their hands, but they should've tested the game to confirm it's actually beatable before selling it. And even if a patch exists, the version of the game "preserved" on the card will forever be broken.

There's also the stringing along of Vita fans by not selling both Rocketbirds games together, forcing Vita collectors to pay more in shipping and trying to manipulate them into buying other stuff just to get a "better value" on their orders. And the supposed "free" soundtrack the first Rocketbirds included, even though the game could've been priced at $25 and still be over $10 more than the digital price point. They included the soundtrack just to jack up the price another $5 and force people to pay that even if they don't want or care about the OST.