Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I just mean it's odd in that both versions have identical print run sizes, and the general narrative out there is that PS4 games sell better/have more demand than Vita versions. The PS4 version of Saturday Morning RPG sold out way faster (granted it also had like 520 fewer copies), and they seemed to think Oddworld would have so much more demand on PS4 that they made the print run twice what it was for Vita. It'd be interesting to know just how quickly PS4 Oddworld sold through its first 2500 copies to compare to how quick the 2500 Vita copies sold.

Either way, I'm happy when Vita games do well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Second batch will sell quickly, though nowhere as near as Oddworld.

Question: How hard would it be to obtain a copy of Breach and Clear at a "non scalper" price?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

LRG posted a teaser of the stickers for their next couple games today:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/...28064041664512

They include a freebie sticker with every release, and it's become clear that they're picking the colors based on the color scheme of the game. The pink/coral and sky blue one is obviously Xeodrifter, since we know it's up next, and those colors match the game's logo.

But I've been hearing that they're going to do a second release in June that is yet unannounced. Any guesses on the blue and yellow one? I've heard rumors going around that they're going to release Octodad (I assume Dadliest Catch, which is on PS4 and Vita), and the colors would indeed match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Wish they would release Axiom Verge and The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth...I doubt it, specially the later since it's too new (DLC just released a few days ago).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Chunsoft's version of One Way Heroics is getting a western release this summer. It doesn't mntion if this will be retail or if it'll be digital only. If it doesn't get a retail release then this is one I'd be interested in recommending based on my playthroughs of the PC version. It's a very short game but I'd purchase a retail version if available.

*edit*

PC version is very short, the PS4 version is a remake, so it might offer a lot more content.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-16-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

New Cosmic Star Heroine trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKE8FvMky0

Limited Run Games should print a couple thousand more of these as popular as this game is compared to the others. I'm going to purchase atleast two copies of the PS4 version, might purchase two copies of the Vita version. One to play, the other to keep sealed. I might purchase the games and also purchase the game on PSN as well since it's crossbuy.

One of the very few digital games that I'm thinking of purchasing. I've also purchased Hotline Miami 2, but despite looking much better, I was disappointed with how the level layouts were compared to the amazing original and never did finish it. The levels were 90% windows almost, so no longer could you rack up a huge stealth streak score in quick succession, too often you had to pop in and out and lure them to you or go all out with guns blazing because enemies still had near perfect accuracy, but this time they could shoot you through 27 rooms away since every single wall was made of windows.

Zeboyd Games has an amazing looking game with Cosmic Star Heroine, and definitely one of my most anticipated games with how great their four games prior to this one were. The amount of time it's taken to come out and the amount of polish from what we've already seen, I think the game will deliver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

But wait, doesn't limited run games limit one copy per customer regardless of platform? At most, you should only be able to buy one copy for either PS4 or Vita, let alone four copies total.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

When they limited it to one copy it was available for a few hours so they removed the restriction. Now I do agree that they should only have one copy of each version per person, but if they no longer have a restriction, why should I limit myself? For the scalpers to just get those extra copies anyways? I'm going to purchase a copy of each because I want one copy of each in my collection, that's a minimum, but as a fan of Zeboyd Games games, I want another one to keep sealed. I could purchase a copy of each sealed and then buy the digital to play, sure, there's a chance I might do that instead, but what happens when I can no longer play the digital copy and I have to break open my sealed copy.

As I've said before, they should just allow everyone who's interested to preorder however many they want months in advance, the preorder be available for a few weeks, this way everyone who's interested in is for sure able to get a copy. Maybe announce that they'll release the preorder copies plus another 1000 copies to purchase for those who don't get to preorder for a second chance.

So anyways, what's everyone's opinion if I purchase an extra PS4 copy and an extra Vita copy to keep sealed if I'm not going to sell them? I'm taking away a potential copy for two other people, but not doing it to be greedy, doing it for collectors purposes. If there weren't as many scalpers as there are, no one would have a problem getting these games. If you ask me, half of the people that are purchasing these are selling them off anyways. 27 copies of Saturday Morning RPG are on Ebay and it was the second game released, as soon as those are sold I'm sure more of them will go up there, and let's not forget all of those before now that have been available for sale as well. If anyone's happened not to get a game that they wanted, it's not because someone decided to get two of each instead of one, it's because the amount of scalpers there are who ransacked the sales, otherwise Oddworld wouldn't have been available for hours after the fact. There's not really as many people that want these as you think, or atleast not as many that are willing to be there at the correct date and time to purchase them.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-06-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedRunGames View Post
    There is a chance we may do Nintendo, but Microsoft is hard to work with this generation.
    Bloody hope MS gets on the ball. I'd love for a Battle High 2 A+ disc.
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    When they limited it to one copy it was available for a few hours so they removed the restriction.
    Are you sure they removed that restriction?

I bought the PS4 version of Oddworld specifically because I was under the impression if I ordered both it and the Vita version, whichever would be the second version would be cancelled. I would have ideally liked to have it on both, but I thought that ever since with Sat Morn RPG, they disallowed this.

I know there's a guy who posts in this thread that is from LimitedRunGames. Please answer this. Am is buying multiple copies of the game - let alone on the same platform - even something that is allowable?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There has never been a restriction on buying one of each platform variant. I ordered Saturday Morning RPG for both PS4 and Vita, and I did the same with Oddworld and Futuridium. The only thing they've cut back on is how many exact duplicate copies you can order. That is, if you can buy more than one Vita copy, or more than one PS4 copy. With Breach & Clear, I believe it was basically a free-for-all, with them only cancelling orders that were really high, like multiple dozens of copies. With Saturday Morning RPG, I believe it started as 2 per platform variant, and then in the second batch reduced to 1 per platform? Something like that. But when copies start selling slowly enough to last for hours, sometimes they increase the number of duplicate copies people can order. It is kind of confusing and sloppy. But, yeah, at a bare minimum, you can always get one copy of each platform variant.

Anyway, they've confirmed Octodad: Dadliest Catch for PS4 and Vita, and it'll actually be coming out earlier than Xeodrifter, which will probably be in July now. Octodad will be on June 19th. I'll update the main post later on.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Okay, opening post updated with new info on Xeodrifter, Octodad, Lost Sea, and Soldner-X 2. Since I'm listing the games by their catalog numbers, Xeodrifter is still listed before Octodad, even though the latter is coming out first. If you check the LRG website, all the games that are listed by me as coming out on July 5th (Lost Sea and both platform variants of Xeodrifter) are actually listed as July 4th on there. I'm assuming this was a c&p'd typo. They've repeatedly said on Twitter that these are coming out on July 5th, and I doubt they're dumb enough to put these up for sale on a big American holiday (granted, Octodad is out on Father's Day, but that's intentional, to match with the theme of the game). If the tweets were mistaken and the July 5th date is wrong after all, I'll update as necessary. Also, another thing to keep in mind, if you add up the print runs for PS4 and Vita, Octodad has the biggest total print run of any LRG release yet, so they're letting people order *2* of each platform variant, for a possible maximum of four copies. Xeodrifter, Lost Sea, and Soldner-X 2 are all still limited to one per platform (one period for Lost Sea and Soldner-X 2 since each is only available on a single platform).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I switched the July 5th releases dates to July 4th after all, since that's what's still on the web store and now they're saying that date on Twitter too. I still think it's a totally bizarre choice. If these were regular retail releases that you could pick up on any day past launch, fine, launch on a holiday, but for games with such a tiny window to order, why would they pick a day when so many people are busy? It's not like Xeodrifter and Lost Sea have any thematic link to the 4th of July like Octodad does to Father's Day. Well, I'll be there at 10am EST to try to order copies for myself, so hopefully I can take care of it then, but I feel bad for people who have to interrupt their grilling or fireworks or whatever with their families to get on at 6pm EST for the second batch.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Limited Run Games has been at E3 and some pretty interesting news is coming out of it. Nuclear Throne was just announced as getting physical copies for PS4 and Vita, but the big news is that Limited Run Games and their parent company, Mighty Rabbit Studios, is in a partnership with Sekai Project. Mighty Rabbit Studios is going to handle porting their games to the Sony platforms, and then Limited Run Games will be doing physical print runs of them. So we're looking at getting games developed in Japan and potentially non-indie games. So far, Fault Milestone One was confirmed as getting a physical print run, but they also announced Rabi-Ribi as getting ported by Mighty Rabbit Studios. Hopefully it's a given that Rabi-Ribi will get a physical print run too. Unlike all the other stuff that's come out or been announced by Limited Run Games, I've actually already played Rabi-Ribi on PC. It's a really fun Metroid-style game, and I think it'd be a great addition to the LRG catalog. I guess for people who find Xeodrifter too short or linear, Rabi-Ribi is a good alternative since it's very open and lasts a decent chunk of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Picked up Octodad for PS4 and Vita. Plenty still left.

Seems the LE versions of them aren't selling as fast as they hoped...still PLENTY of them available. No biggie, since it's just a crappy tie.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Octodad: Dadliest Catch is up and going fast, as to be expected. Funny enough, the "Dad Edition" versions with the bonus tie are selling slower than the standard copies, even though there are far fewer copies of the bundles. I guess not many people are interested in spending nearly double to get an extra tie (which aren't even ready yet and will be shipping at a later point separately from the games). I passed on the tie myself, since I'd never wear it and have no men in my life who wear ties more than once in a blue moon either. I did nab a PS4 and Vita copy of the game, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got my copy of Octodad for the Vita. I loved the PS4 port, hoping the Vita version holds up just as well (I never did get to try the Vita version before hand despite it being cross buy).

I do hope that Downwell and Risk of Rain have a chance of getting the LRG treatment. I've been playing both quite a bit lately, and they are brilliant games in their own right, and they are perfect portable games to pick up and play when I have a spare few minutes.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow, what a neat list!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I just checked right now and Octodad is still available for the PS4 if anyone has missed it. Kind of proves my point I made previously that not as many people as some think really wants these games, so having the two copies per system availability isn't really hurting anyone.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-21-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, it's not hurting in the case of this game, which had a combined bigger print run than any previously and also surely has less demand than certain other titles will have. I don't think having some of the copies left two days later is anything to regard as bad or a failure, though. The way things went with previous titles shouldn't be the ideal. It's far preferable if there's enough stock to last at least a few days, and selling through all of the stock in that span still shows that there's good demand. Now, if stock was still available weeks later, or months later, then it'd be a different story.