Thread: I Don't Care for Retro City Rampage's Premise as a Game, But All This is Too Cool

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default I Don't Care for Retro City Rampage's Premise as a Game, But All This is Too Cool

As reported in another thread here, RCR is now available for lots of platforms, but the newest to be supported are Linux and... MS-DOS! Now I don't like GTA-alikes, but what I do like is old consoles and old computers, and the guy who makes RCR is a hardcore, awesome programmer who supports a litany of platforms. And any dude who supports Linux, MS-DOS, NES, and Windows 3.1 with new releases in 2014 - 2015 is cool in my book. Toss in stuff like an avoidance of DRM and of course all these sweet physical goods (soundtrack on vinyl and CD, MS-DOS version available as a download, or MS-DOS version available physically on floppy diskettes, cloth maps, red film glasses and "copy protection" manual entries, and an honest-to-God full instruction manual in this day and age) and while I don't like the genre, I love the effort and love put into these goods!

If you are interested at all in picking up this game or its merchandise, I beseech you to buy it up!

There's lots of good info available on the official Web page for the MS-DOS physical "retail" release located at [ http://www.retrocityrampage.com/msdos_retail.php ].

Fun trailer: [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZG8cjSQXMM ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) rhillfake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WasBottlehead99
    3DS Friend
    2595-3048-4554
    Steam
    rhillfake

I purchased the game for my 3ds a few days ago and I am really enjoying it. It has so many references to older games. It is defenitely worth the money.
    Play my free games: rhillfakestudios.weebly.com
    Read my game reviews: gonemadgaming.com

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool.

By the way, the MS-DOS physical release is limited to only 1000 individually numbered copies. Once they are gone, they are not going to make more, so collectors, take note.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When they did a physical release on PS4 I got one of the few made, sadly I have to admit, it's still sealed. I don't get a lot of console time compared to laptop and handheld, so I took the steam code they mailed me and did it that way. It's an alright game but I'm mostly burned out on GTA style. It had some fun and sort of fresh things going, but it only held my interest for a couple hours over a couple of days and I forget I have it since I don't open up steam much as I prefer GoG stuff.

I think it's neat they went all out with that package, very unexpected to find a big box DOS PC game made anymore. The effort much like the indiebox stuff is priced well and very worth the effort, and in this case it's not a subscribed guess unless you can buy a last month indiebox if it didn't sell out.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

It's a good game. Not great, but good. Unfortunately, like many games that are a send-up to the '80s, it's a little short on originality and relies a lot on its retro-references to carry the day. Plot is really not much to speak of. Difficulty is a bit erratic. I finished it, which says a lot for a game these days.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this for 3DS via a Nintendo Humble Bundle. I thought it was great. Definitely a lot of fun. And it was ideal to play on the train. I would recommend it for 3DS as it is the kind of game that is easy to just pick up and play when you are on the move.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post

There's lots of good info available on the official Web page for the MS-DOS physical "retail" release located at [ http://www.retrocityrampage.com/msdos_retail.php ].
    I was thinking "cool" until I saw they were calling transparent disks "translucent" ARGHHH major pet peeve of mine. You can't see anything but light and shadow through translucent, and you can clearly (pun unintentional but noted) see the actual internals, making them transparent.

What does it matter? It really doesn't except for dumbing down of the meanings of words. That's why it's a pet peeve.

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

I like that there is a MS-DOS version and a prototype Win31 version - I actually enjoy playing both on the 486 I have somewhat more than the original STEAM full version, but the full version does have a better soundtrack and more portable. The DOS version makes me want to order pizza, fire up the Drive soundtrack, and party like it's 1989.