Thread: Atari Video Cube (Atari 2600/VCS) is Awesome

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Talking Atari Video Cube (Atari 2600/VCS) is Awesome

I just played this on my DS via Atari Greatest Hits Vol. 1 - Yes, the official title reads "Atari" and not "Atari's." (Ugh!) But I have to say, Atari Video Cube is really, really good. OK, it's not for everyone (The DP Guide editor/s don't like it.), but I love Atari Video Cube!

Imagine an easier, funner version of Rubik's Cube where instead of rotating a whole row or whole column, you move just one segment at a time. The catch is you can't carry a segment over segments of the same color. For example, you can't carry an orange segment over other orange segments. So as you solve the game, it gets more difficult as there are more paths you can't take to get the segment in place. But at the same time, completed sides are now "clear" sides that you can pass. So it's really a great game where you compete not just for the lowest score among everyone (each move adds one more point to your score); you are also trying to improve your times against yourself. It's one of those games where you are not rushed to make a move where you can take your time to consider your next move instead. In fact, while you can solve a puzzle by just running around swapping tiles until you get to the solution, the game really encourages you to stop and think about your next move to whittle your score down to the lowest possible. Plus, the game includes at least 40 different starting layouts, giving a lot of content/replay value for a 2600 game!

I only wish the game were more common so that the price wasn't around $18 on eBay auctions when they do show up. But at a 5 out of 10 on the rarity scale due to it being exclusive to the Atari Club and a late (1988!) release, I guess that's just the way it is. So for now, I'll stay with my emulated re-release on the DS, and I'll add the original cartridge of Atari Video Cube to my To-Buy list for later.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up I will check it out!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Its pretty rare, Ive always been surprised at how cheap it is.

My Atari 2600 collection consists of Atari Video Cube, Road Runner and a Harmony flash cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Atari Video Cube is on Atari Anthology as well (Although oddly, not on the PC game Atari 80 Classics in One that AA essentially was a console port of).

So there's an easy big-screen option if you don't want to buy the original cartridge. Such a great classic compilation.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-28-2015 at 06:33 PM.