Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SD2SNES question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So it's not the part, but the system I guess. That blows, that really is the best of the 16bit FF games by leaps and bounds in my book. You have a true experience system where you learn spells/skills by ranking up -- not pissing large sums of cash buying books or going into overkill fights to rank up little crystals you find. It's a set network of characters that stay in the party or some who pop in and out until they're killed or neutralized, but you have a core so you don't have to worry about ranking up like 10 people party flipping. And the story since you have set people is are more emotional and memorable.

Get a new SNES or a Retron5 or something :P Sorry (though the R5 won't do copier carts.)

I have to admit your thread is making me want to peek at FF2(4) again. I've still got my childhood cart and poster/manual still -- also have a nice CIB GBA release too. The fact it's a sub-20hour RPG makes it also very alluring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Well, I dont have a sd2snes, Ive got a power pak. Ive never had any problems playiing FF2, castlevania or any other rom that it is supposed to play.
    As long as you are using an actual snes and not a 3rd party clone system it should not be the systems fault.
    Did you download the roms one at a time or all in a big pack via torrent? If you downloaded them from some site one at a time, you probably have junky rom files.
    Just to reiterate on this, the roms you want are from the Good* sets. IE: GoodNES, GoodSNES, GoodGen, etc..

The main ones that work best in flash carts are ones with [!] in the filename as those are verified good dumps. Anything with [b] is to be avoided as that means bad dump. Some of them will have [f] which means it comes with bug fixes so it plays better in the more popular emulators, but if you're using a flash cart, [!] is the way to go.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    So it's not the part, but the system I guess. That blows, that really is the best of the 16bit FF games by leaps and bounds in my book. You have a true experience system where you learn spells/skills by ranking up -- not pissing large sums of cash buying books or going into overkill fights to rank up little crystals you find. It's a set network of characters that stay in the party or some who pop in and out until they're killed or neutralized, but you have a core so you don't have to worry about ranking up like 10 people party flipping. And the story since you have set people is are more emotional and memorable.

Get a new SNES or a Retron5 or something :P Sorry (though the R5 won't do copier carts.)

I have to admit your thread is making me want to peek at FF2(4) again. I've still got my childhood cart and poster/manual still -- also have a nice CIB GBA release too. The fact it's a sub-20hour RPG makes it also very alluring.
    FF2/4 is my favorite of the 2d style FF games. I was wanting to replay it and obviously can't now. Got a deal on another SNES so hopefully that will fix it for me.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Just to reiterate on this, the roms you want are from the Good* sets. IE: GoodNES, GoodSNES, GoodGen, etc..

The main ones that work best in flash carts are ones with [!] in the filename as those are verified good dumps. Anything with [b] is to be avoided as that means bad dump. Some of them will have [f] which means it comes with bug fixes so it plays better in the more popular emulators, but if you're using a flash cart, [!] is the way to go.
    Again.. the real cart of FF2 does the same thing ALL the roms did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well hey we think alike on that then. At least you were able to track down another SNES. Perhaps some cap or some chip is starting to fail on the system...something has to be sliding it can't handle the game, something it uniquely registers with the hardware that gets it all grumpy. There's probably other games you don't have or haven't tried yet that probably would flip it out too.

SNES went through if I remember right 5 primary revisions of the chip set over time and within those some smaller sub-revision tweaks. A perfect example is that 1CHIP model. While known to be the most reliable and also the one with the best picture clarity, some of them will foul up in displaying Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls n Ghosts so they're not playable. Mine though I could play both, but unless my eyes deceive the very edges (left/right) of the screen have some weird effect in SGnG where it's almost warping or appears to run at a barely different pace which is odd while the screen scrolls. You don't really even notice it and it won't screw you over, but if you look for it, it's there. Yet in turn with the clarity, look up FF3 and Super Metroid about the white bar up the middle of the screen the other SNES models do very sharply on a TV. The 1CHIP cleans it up largely and there are sites/assemblergames.com forum posts that cover this with pics.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know castlevania 4 fails as well.

SOmeone at Nintendoage explained it that I guess some games use high memory and others use low (whatever that means) and it seems the games I am saying that do not work all use the low side where as ones that do work, like FF3, use the high side.

My SNES was the SHVC version
    Last edited by bigbacon; 10-23-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They could have been more clear and I think I know what whoever it was was getting at. The SNES unlike the old NES didn't have a slew of memory mappers (UNROM, MMC1,2,3,4,5,6, etc) to get games to go because the hardware alone couldn't hack it. The SNES used LoROM and HiROM style carts which each poll the system abilities and memories inside differently. Yes the SNES had some chipped games, but the chips did more specific stuff and not just a memory/bank switching type improvement.

Anyway if the games you're using all fail that are either LoROM or HiROM they I'd suspect that the system itself somewhere in the traces to the memory, the cpu, some lame capacitor...something is fried and games that need to run down that road to work, run into a wall and die. Time to buy another system clearly, but you knew that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Again.. the real cart of FF2 does the same thing ALL the roms did.
    My point was just that after you fix this problem, if you still have issues, look for rooms with [!] in the name.