Thread: Happy 30th Birthday, 8-bit NES!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Happy 30th Birthday, 8-bit NES!

Today marks 30 years since the NES hit the market.

Didn't feel too long ago that it celebrated 20 years back in 2005.

My, how time flies. I guess I gotta play a little Mega Man II or something later on today.

Feel free to share any NES-related memories here in this topic. Damn does this make me feel old...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

HBD to the nes/famicom,have plenty of fond memories for the console.Going from the likes of ninja gaiden,smb3,blaster master the console had it in spades when it came to it's library.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's kinda sad that I didn't grow up to the NES, and the closest I ever got as a kid were those GBA multicarts I had as a kid, and I only got to touch and play Super Mario Bros. on a Famicom only last year. >.<

Well, time to change that I suppose. Time to grab a Famicom or a Famiclone when I go to Japan and play some classics.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Got mine for Christmas '87, the NES Action Set. Turned out my dad had been secretly getting it out after bedtime for two months beforehand, and had gotten rather good at Super Mario Bros.

Too many good memories, but here's one fun one. We'd rented The Legend of Zelda from a grocery store, and my brother and I were enamored. We used to pool our money we'd get from allowance/birthdays/rolling newspapers, and we had a decent chunk saved up in a pickle jar. We asked if we could go buy it, and so when we were at the store, we picked up what we thought was the correct game, but it turned out to be the new Zelda II! We were initially angry, as it just wasn't what we had in mind, but new games weren't something you got often back then. We stuck with it, and damned if it isn't by far my favorite in the series these days. It took awhile for me to appreciate how well-designed that game is, but it utterly rules, and I have that mistake to thank for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Happy Birthday Nintendo. Hard to believe I've been with them since Christmas of 85 but I got one the very first year along with two extra games Super Mario Bros and Hogans Alley. So much time was lost having fun with it over the years and then decades even as time marched on. It kept me happy and sane through a great many years growing up. Then it turned into a retro obsession in 95 which expanded to GB, SNES, and N64 getting weekly locally new goodies I could never all afford on a small allowance as a kid. I've owned half the library or more over time yet now I have less than 10% but I keep it, enjoy it, and my almost four year old loves Mario Kirby and I introduced her to the original Zelda days ago too. And one thing I didn't realize what the time I got married on its birthday too 8 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Got mine for Christmas '87, the NES Action Set. Turned out my dad had been secretly getting it out after bedtime for two months beforehand, and had gotten rather good at Super Mario Bros.

Too many good memories, but here's one fun one. We'd rented The Legend of Zelda from a grocery store, and my brother and I were enamored. We used to pool our money we'd get from allowance/birthdays/rolling newspapers, and we had a decent chunk saved up in a pickle jar. We asked if we could go buy it, and so when we were at the store, we picked up what we thought was the correct game, but it turned out to be the new Zelda II! We were initially angry, as it just wasn't what we had in mind, but new games weren't something you got often back then. We stuck with it, and damned if it isn't by far my favorite in the series these days. It took awhile for me to appreciate how well-designed that game is, but it utterly rules, and I have that mistake to thank for it.
    Awesome story! I've never really played Zelda II before... I have not explored NES' library anywhere near the extent I have the SNES. One day I hope to rectify that, but the saying "too many games so little time" rings true big time here, lol. One day though...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Let's all spend today thanking Nintendo for saving video games in 1985.