Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy 30th Birthday, 8-bit NES!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empsolo View Post
    My God. Why is it that every single Sega fanboy I have ever run across has a compulsion to be super defensive about thier Sega Consoles? It's as if Sega Fanboys have have to justify to themselves that they wasted the 90's playing Sports games that nobody cares about and edgy gorefests that are best remembered for being edgy and bloody and not being, y'know, any good.

There is a reason why people people remember Fire Emblem and not Shining Force, The Legend of Zelda and not Golden Axe Warrior, Mario instead of Sonic.
    Did you have fun with that? I don't own a single Sega console, nowadays. Segafanboys? Sounds like a Nintentard just joined here.

Excuse me? People remember Fire Emblem over Shining Force? Who? The Japanese? Wasn't a factor until the GBA hit the US. I don't give a fuck about the trends in Japan sucking off Nintendo, I live in the US. Shining Force is well regarded as the better game.

Zelda over Golden Axe Warrior? Nice try bud, nobody even knew what the hell Golden Axe Warrior was.

Mario over Sonic? Yeah sure, fuck that topic because who cares? They're different styles of platformer, not even on the same wavelength. It's been beaten to death dude. Where's your big guns at? 2d platformers? Shooters? Run-nGuns? Genny excels unless you're looking for a slow-paced adventure game to bore you to tears. Or an RPG that fanboys firmly stand behind no matter how flawed the game or entire concept is. Talk about fanboys.....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That Star Fox homebrew was a long ways away from matching the SuperNes game. It's an interesting piece of work, but hardly proof that the Genesis could've equaled it without use of the 32X or a similar add-on chip.

That said, the Genesis could do a fine job of 3D. I find many of its stock 3D titles playable to this day like Domark's fine trio of racing games that make significant use of polygons.
    Polygons performed better on Genesis for some odd reason. Even Starfox is pretty framey where it starts to effect movement of your ship. Stunt Trax was a joke. Dirt Trax was a joke. Vortex was a joke. Doom was a joke. SuperFX ain't worth all the hype it's been made out to be. If it wasn't for Starfox and DKC with that chip, they'd be fucked with that slowass processor. Remember, this is right before Sony handed them the whip, but PlayStation brand was out there already, ready to lay the smack down on overpriced cartridges.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Polygons performed better on Genesis for some odd reason. Even Starfox is pretty framey where it starts to effect movement of your ship. Stunt Trax was a joke. Dirt Trax was a joke. Vortex was a joke. Doom was a joke. SuperFX ain't worth all the hype it's been made out to be. If it wasn't for Starfox and DKC with that chip, they'd be fucked with that slowass processor. Remember, this is right before Sony handed them the whip, but PlayStation brand was out there already, ready to lay the smack down on overpriced cartridges.
    Donkey Kong Country didn't use the SFX chip.......

In fact, it didn't use any enhancement chip sets for that matter.
    Last edited by Empsolo; 10-26-2015 at 12:34 AM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, the 90's called; they want their console war back.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I've read a portion of this and almost vomited in my mouth. If I read the whole thing, I may get triggered. It's utter nonsense. Seriously, a garbage attempt at fanboyism. Tanooki bitches about Nintendo one day, the next day it's a blowjob for anything with the N brand on it. Sonic and Phantasy Star? Fuck both of those games, why listen to the masses? They're the least of the Genny's library, which you've ignored because it doesn't compare to the Snes slow processor. Only one game for Genesis required an extra-special chip to function. And it's been proved Starfox can be done on a Genny without the need for special chips.

I got my NES in 86 so I came up with the damn thing. I subscribed to the propaganda, I watched the Wizard, bought into the hype. Guess what? I grew up and realized what promotion is. And I moved on, very simple.

Some people like to stay adamantly stuck in the past I guess. But not according to the prices, good lord it's stupid. Compare libraries, period. Keep your boring, slow, stupid rpgs coming. They do not stand the test of time and are boring if you're not prepared for a grind.
    Dude seriously? Those first few sentences ...and you're saying I'm acting like a fanboy. That's rich. If the best you can bring up about the SNES being worse is a slow processor, that's beyond sad. It's the games, no how many mhz the CPU can do, you're sounding like a blind tech nerd looking for a numerical advantage dismissing the details. I've seen that starfox demo, to a point it works, but full fledged game with all the control and AI no, not without help and that little marvel I was impressed with when it was done though. My 'boring slow RPGs' also proving your fanboyism if that's what the SNES supposedly has -- I ignored most of them. Funny how I can buy like 50 games for it and not 10% of it is RPGs, they must be imagined up good games right?

Didn't have to get so nasty to the new guy did ya? Shining Force is only beloved by Sega fans, get out of those circles, it's as unknown as Fire Emblem is outside of Nintendo circles. Neither one are all that special enough, and funny you should froth over a Tactical 'RPG' you know those slow stupid things Nintendo was suited for eh? I'll give you credit though, Mario vs Sonic was always retarded as they're very different. Shame Sega didn't feel that way with their lying ads over Mario's speed compared to Sonic in ads to show which was a better game as they could have done it honestly on its own as Sonic is no slouch (well wasn't on that system.)

Also, you're not helping your case arguing about special chips bringing up DKC (Trilogy) it didn't use one at all. It's stock parts, standard platformer that used ACM rendered graphics and displayed with no help from anything but the system itself. If you wanted to take the dig, look towards Kirby Super Star or Dream Land 3 and Mario RPG -- they used the SA-1 which was like a slower copycat processor of the SNES in board, along with some storage to use as a copier cart blocking method that worked for many years until broken in emulators in the 2000s when it was emulated. Mega Man X2 and X3 also used the CX4, but again it was a cheat for copyprotection by Capcom. They claimed it was used to do some visual tricks, but the Super Famicom versions are identical and don't which is why you see bootlegs of those and not the US game on the market. The FX2 did fine with DOOM and really well with Yoshi's Island, I'll give you the FX1 games that chugged though. DOOMs problem was Midway cutting corners to save costs, not the chip itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Man is it nice to love both the Genesis and the SNES, as well as the NES, and to some extent, the SMS. I don't bother riding the fence between the 16 bit systems anymore, just give me the games both had produced for them, and I'm good (same with the 8 bit hitters).

Guess I'm a rarity in this day and age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think it's that rare. I had two different versions of that Genesis handheld and have had the NOmad and the system before in the past 90s/earlier 00s) and it was fun with the unique stuff I dug up, but I never saw where it really had any edge either other than having a steady frame rate compared to earlier/unoptimized SNES stuff that could slow down at times. Genesis had some nice PC conversions, the arcade games, Ristar, Sonic and a few other Treasure titles worth doing and had pushed the system fairly well beyond what you'd normally expect from it. I just don't think it has aged as well, it's like a median system quality wise between the 8bit and 16bit era given the color limitations and the metallic tinny sound it generally produced for better or worse. I think had the system put a few more colors on screen and the audio was more clean sounding in general I think people would generally feel more positive about it as holding up as well. It just was a product of its time and the parts they used just as the SNES was of its.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    Man is it nice to love both the Genesis and the SNES, as well as the NES, and to some extent, the SMS. I don't bother riding the fence between the 16 bit systems anymore, just give me the games both had produced for them, and I'm good (same with the 8 bit hitters).

Guess I'm a rarity in this day and age.
    I've always preferred the Genesis because it's the system I had during that gen. But I never hated on the Snes because of it and eventually owned both. I recognize that they both had lots of worthy games to play.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Hey guys, the 90's called; they want their console war back.
    GameFAQs's messageboard from 1998 called, they want their thread back. Hell, this is 1995 AOL Chat quality. Now we just need a post 3 pages long of SEGA SUX over and over again and it'll be complete.

NES, SNES and Genesis ALL had awesome games. They also ALL had horrific junk. The technical qualities of each system is immaterial because there are great games to be found in such a quantity that you're doing yourself a disservice not at least sampling all three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If any one hasn't given a listen yet retronauts had there nes 30 birthday podcast finally.
    http://www.retronauts.com/?p1169#respond

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I love NES!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You're all nintenyearolds!

Current top 30:
    Super Mario Bros. 3, Metal Storm, Gun Nac, Mega Man 2, Adventures of Lolo 2, DuckTales 2, Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti, Bubble Bobble, Solomon's Key, Boulder Dash, Castlevania III, Little Nemo, TMNT III, R.C. Pro-Am II, Vice: Project Doom, Gargoyle's Quest II, Mendel Palace, Bucky O'hare, The Guardian Legend, Super Contra, Crisis Force, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu, Ufouria, Tetris, Jackal, River City Ransom, Shadow of the Ninja, Gremlins 2, Ninja Gaiden 3 (JP), Crystalis
    Last edited by Alianger; 10-29-2015 at 12:40 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I want to be a copycat and do a current top 30 in no particular order.

Zelda II
    Super Mario Bros.
    Contra
    Legacy of the Wizard
    The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario 3
    Rygar
    Final Fantasy
    Baseball Stars
    Castlevania
    Castlevania II
    The Guardian Legend
    Gradius
    Milon's Secret Castle
    Dr Chaos
    Super C
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
    Metroid
    Metal Storm
    Legendary Wings
    TMNT II
    Super Spike V'ball
    Ghosts 'n Goblins
    Ninja Gaiden
    Excitebike
    Super Mario 2
    RBI Baseball
    Spiritual Warfare
    Goonies II
    Bible Adventures (I don't care if people hate it. It's relaxing to play through Noah's Ark and collect animals.)