Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the Game Gear

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Let's talk about the Game Gear

I have been really loving my Game Gear. I bought an Everdrive for it, but I still want to collect games for it. The problem is, I have 82 games for it. I want more, though, so is there anything you recommend that is not really expensive (like, oh, MEGA MAN.) Also, I have been making a homebrew game for the Game Gear, my first Game Gear homebrew. It's called Mr. Ultra. You can download the current version at http://www.atari2600land.com/mrultra/ When I was a kid, I was a Nintendo kid, but now that I'm an adult, I have enough money to explore the stuff I missed, and looking back, I probably should have got a Game Gear instead of a Game Boy. Oh well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sylvan Tale. Wonderful little Zelda-like adventure. It's an import but there is a translation patch. You probably already know about the Shinobi games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a list of games you own?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Do you like RPGs? Do you own Defenders of Oasis?

I also really like Star Gate, it's just a basic puzzle game but I find it really relaxing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a list of the games I already own. I'm not really into RPGs.
    gamegearcollection.txt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Puyo Puyo 1 has the proper character cast, in English. Unknown why the translation was created than scrapped, or what markets it was truly intended for.
    http://gaminghell.co.uk/PuzlowKids.html

Lemmings is a puzzle classic. Not really my thing.
    Vampire Master of Darkness, side scroller with detailed graphics.
    Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap has positive reception. Cute too.
    May as well try Sonic Drift 1. You seem to be collecting the franchise.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

other than the characters, is there a big difference between Puzlow Kids and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll check out Vampire.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I so have considered getting a Game Gear. I used to have one, but sold it, and now sort of wish I hadn't.... especially since I want to play Defenders of Oasis.

But now I hear some Game Gears have capacitor issues? What's up with that?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Phone can't open the list file, but I do like a couple.

Zenki is a pretty cool platformer based on the anime.
    Woody Pop has a great name and is a decent Arkanoid/Breakout clone.
    Tesserae is a fairly unique puzzle game that works a lot better here than Game Boy.
    Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya is an excellent strategy game.
    I kinda like Ax Battler, the Zelda II/Exile alike, but I can't call it good; I just like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by atari2600land View Post
    other than the characters, is there a big difference between Puzlow Kids and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll check out Vampire.
    Overall Puzlow Kids looks nicer and has better music, but is missing some added features.
    Passwords are only for puzzle mode, not story mode. No sound test either.
    Lum fan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Woody Pop has a great name and is a decent Arkanoid/Breakout clone.
    I have this on a few multi-game carts and find it strangely addicting. I definitely wish they would have shoehorned digital controls in a bit better; instead of holding a button down to move slowly they should have done it the exact opposite and have it held down to move fast. I find myself playing the entire time with the button held down otherwise your paddle flies around at nigh-uncontrollable lightning speed. I'd imagine the SMS version using the analog controller is smooth as silk by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had one of these for a few years back in the 90s. I had this friend my first year in highschool who had one and was looking to dump it, so I bought it from him and he had like a dozen games for it, good ones mostly too as he didn't get into lame sports titles. There was Aerial Assault (which got a SMS port later) a personal favorite, a few sonic games including drift 2, MK1, Taz, and some other platformers and adventures I forget right now. It was (is) a battery whore, so since he had a rechargeable pack for it I just left that on and tethered it to the wall as I felt it was too bulky to be a handheld. Over time I racked up I think a few dozen titles for it, but like all things Sega and so on from the third tier my tragic losses of over a decade ago it became part of it.

Looking at that one text file in the thread helps remind me of some stuff -- Ax Battler (listed in thread here), Baku Baku, Bust A Move, Castle of Illusion, Columns, Lion King, Ninja Gaiden, Ristar, shinobi, all the Sonics but blast & chaos, Tazmania, and I think that's about it from that text file at least along with MK1 and Aerial Assault I mentioned. There were more, and I think I may have had Aladdin too. It just has been over 10 years since I looked and 20 since it was originally bought.

Edmond Dantes -- Funny thing like 3 weeks ago, never seen it before, but some dude at a flea market had one, damn thing was immaculate with a nice sega case, tv tuner, and just columns. It was dead, but the dude was running a generator so he could let people listen to CDs they may buy. I'd own it, but the screen was a bit brighter than it should be and the audio was 100% dead. I didn't want to insult the dude on price so I left it. I know it can be recapped, but I don't have a kit for it, nor do I think I could do all that tiny work so well either. I probably should have snapped it up but I didn't. That's what you're talking about, most of them have gone bad today where the screen whites out and the audio vanishes. You either today need to buy a recapped one by someone already, or find a real beauty of a system and do it yourself to be safe as it's a ticking time bomb...much like the Turbo Duo+Turbo Express is known to flake out doing (and the Sega Nomad too.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bad capacitors can also screw with the contrast. As in, you can't see anything unless you're viewing the screen from an uncomfortable 45 degree angle. It's pretty easy to recap if you can solder. I did it on a blue one my friend gave me and it worked like a charm immediately after. If you want to avoid this, hunt down a Majesco Game Gear. Those are supposed to be much more reliable and even have better screens than the original.

As for games, nobody has mentioned:
    Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - Sequel to Castle of Illusion, and every bit as good. It even introduces some elements similar to Mega Man where you must complete objectives and then revisit levels to find something that was unavailable before. Music, graphics, and control are superb.

Lucky Dime Caper - Prequel to Deep Duck Trouble and another game in the Sega Disney series. Not quite as good as the Illusion series IMO, but still worth a playthrough.

Crystal Warriors - Fun beginner Strategy RPG.

Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special are pretty good 8-bit versions of the SNK classics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just find a re-capped Game Gear and you'll be fine. Bratwurst at Sega-16 used to do them, not sure if the.golden.ax at AtariAge is still doing them.

Come join us on Micro-64

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Just find a re-capped Game Gear and you'll be fine. Bratwurst at Sega-16 used to do them, not sure if the.golden.ax at AtariAge is still doing them.
    I don't think so -- last I knew, he had a major health crisis that pretty much incapacitated him. He recapped my GG some years back and did a good job.

A few GG games I've enjoyed that come to mind:

Outrun Europa
    Psychic World
    Space Harrier

I like the system a lot, and also appreciate the fact that it's capable of playing SG-1000 games with the correct colors. But I wish the screen weren't so terrible, and from what I understand it's more or less impossible to get a good & straightforward replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can do Game Gear recaps if anyone needs one done. I've done a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well there's an opportunity. :P

I have to admit I'm mildly tempted to try the GG again, but I have this underlying fear I'd use it for a few weeks then some new game would pop up and it would get shelved and then I'd feel bad about it later. :\ I kind of do that with gameboy stuff so I keep it by my comfy chair so it's in arms reach at least.

I also recall aside from Samurai Shodown that MK1 was fairly solid on there too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I kinda like Ax Battler, the Zelda II/Exile alike, but I can't call it good; I just like it.
    I played Ax Battler back in the day and loved it. Now, it is way too stiff and not very "fun" at all.

Aside from vouching for most of what's been mentioned above, I also enjoy:

Alien Syndrome - Nothing crazy awesome, but a solid port and fun enough.

Crystal Warriors - This game is so blagh now. I remember liking it more years ago.

GG Aleste II /Powerstrike II- Very nice shooter.

Shinobi - Hah, you've got your Mega Man in my Shinobi! A Stage Select screen and the ability to select powers from the pause menu. Different.

Streets of Rage 2 - A decent fix.

Vampire: Master of Darkness - This game's a bit like Castlevania.

X-Men 2: Game Master’s Legacy - My favorite of the GG X-Men games, this one's based on the X Cutioner's Song story arc from the comics.

I'd have to say I never cared too much for the Sonic games due to how little of the playfield you see versus their console cousins.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 10-20-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll second any Streets of Rage GG version and also that Vampire game too -- had the SMS conversions from the UK last time I had the console and they were just must have games being very good. It's funny or not I guess but I think around 1/3 to 1/2 of my SMS games were GG titles too. I guess it would make a nice system to have around without having to deal with the master system again and it's technically portable even if it's an evil battery whore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I heard the battery life is bad, so that's why I have an AC adapter hooked up to it and use it like a console.