Thread: Theory on why Space Channel 5 hasn't been seen lately...

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Theory on why Space Channel 5 hasn't been seen lately...

I was thinking: The original Space Channel 5 hasn't seen a recent port largely because the source is lost. Why do I think this? Well, look at the PS2 port. It seems with all the little technical nuances that can be seen, it was likely reconstructed from the assets of either the japanese or earlier builds or both. When Ulala says, "Ulala's Swingin' Report Show!" the voice is from the Japanese version. Both are said in english, but I know this one for instance is Japanese, even though the rest of the audio is english. Why else would this be? Think of the ordeal behind the rough HD ports of the Silent Hill games for PS3.

Tetsuya Nomura also said that when they went to remaster Kingdom Hearts for HD, they reconstructed parts of it from scratch as the original assets were lost years ago. He said that they salvaged what they could from the retail version, then redid the other parts that they didn't have, and said "It wasn't easy".

I guess no game is too modern to be lost, but since storage was becoming cheaper and more common around this time, I'm just a little surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've been really surprised not to see Ulala pop in up more games. Even brief cameos.

She is in a good deal more games than I realized, though. Here's the list from Wikipedia.

Sonic Riders (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, PC) - Ulala appears as a playable character.
    Sega Superstars (PS2) - There is a minigame based on Space Channel 5.
    Sega Superstars Tennis (PS2, PS3, Wii, DS, Xbox 360) - Ulala and Pudding appear as playable characters. A Space Channel 5 tennis court is selectable.
    Feel the Magic: XY/XX (DS) - There is a minigame based on Space Channel 5.
    Sega Splash Golf (PC) - Ulala appears as a caddy.
    Beach Spikers (Gamecube) - Ulala appears as a playable character.
    Samba de Amigo (Wii) - Ulala makes a guest appearance, and Mexican Flyer is featured as song.[10]
    Rez (Dreamcast, PS2, XBLA) - There is an unlockable Morolian evolution.
    Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA (PSP) - There is an unlockable Ulala outfit, and Mexican Flyer is featured as a song.
    Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (DS, PSP, PS2, Wii) - Morolians are featured as an alternate set of blocks, along with Space Channel 5 themed garbage indicators.
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (DS, Wii, PC, PS3, 360) - Ulala appears as a playable character. She rides a space pod and her All-Star move is dancing on her pod while zapping her foes with her space laser.
    Virtua Fighter 5 (Arcade) - The 'R Revision B' update version of the game features several customize items from SEGA characters, among them is Ulala's full wardrobe, even including her guns.
    Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS) - The game features a Space Channel 5 stage, where Raphael dances against his impersonator.
    Project X Zone (3DS) - Ulala appears as a solo unit.
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (3DS, Wii U, PC, PS3, 360) - Ulala and Pudding appear as playable characters. Ulala's All-Star move involves shooting at opponents, while Pudding uses her guitar to send shock-waves.
    Project X Zone 2 (3DS) - Ulala appears as a solo unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Have to admit I'm surprised she showed up that much too, but also it's odd that even as a cameo she's not in one of those Hatsune Miku titles as it would almost feel like a natural fit.