Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N64 1:1 (exterior) looking bootlegs are now a thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default N64 1:1 (exterior) looking bootlegs are now a thing

Seems the Chinese finally figured out how to make a board loaded with chips that works with real games on n64 and can sell them at a decent (but still kind of high) price and to the ire of those who want to see these high prices, they're US versions, 1:1 quality looking stickers, and us N64 game cart shells too.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64...pic/7458262/1/

Caught on about this over on a reddit thread. You can see the board in one of the pictures there and it appears there's stuff for Clayfighter, Bomberman Second Attack and likely more. They're trying to call it the Dark Age of N64 collecting, hell I'd call it leveling the playing field. Anything that makes it harder on the scalpers who try and price up stuff, good. Problem is the games still are like $80~ in value which is high on a bootleg. If they could 1/2 that I could see it working out much better for those who would rather go that route than an everdrive 64.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

how is buying one shitty chinese bootleg game a 'better route' than buying a flash cart?

if someone has issues with owning a flash cart why would they not have a problem with buying an overpriced chinese bootleg?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeeeaaahhhh.....I'm all for games dropping in price, but mixing a bunch of shitty bootlegs into the marketplace is not a positive way to go about it, sorry.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Tanooki is always pro piracy and pro bootlegging, I try to ignore his posts on it. Fake handbags or watches never reduced the price of the originals, it's stupid to assume fake games would lower the price of real copies. All they accomplish is ripping off the people who can't tell they're fake and still pay full price for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The better choice would be personal taste or reasons obviously. I know and expect not everyone to agree but in this case I'm happy about it. I'm not always pro bootleg but with games being scammed over these days with inflated prices anything to hurt those people I like. It goes back to being a kid and having two hobbies of mine being ruined by the same greasy tactics which caused me to stop. I'd rather high quality fakes be there as a noted option than no choice but emulators and flash kits being it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

well it didn't take long to find the seller of these online and N64 games aren't the only thing they are doing HOWEVER....

they are not 100% reproductions, some of the things the seller has are translated versions of Japanese games in American carts, some of them are hacks or mods of popular games, and most of them are cheap examples of a game that is way over priced to begin with. not saying that whats happening here is right but at the same time i'd be willing to pay some of the prices of the SNES games they are asking since they are approx. 1/8th to 1/3rd the price of the real deals.

heres the kicker that they are not 100% true to the original 1:1

the SNES games shown are clearly visible and I imagine the N64 games wouldn't be any different but the SNES games that are being reproduced command much higher prices than the N64 ones hes doing.

the SNES games have plastic molded security bits, suggesting to me they made a mold of a US market game with the game completely intact and used that as their master, cleaned it up injected molded it with some equally higher quality plastics and bam. its probably been modified that clip together around the sides kind of like if you've ever taken apart a cell phone or old dvd player, how the front comes off.
    that or the screws are just plain plastic.

i'm not going to post links but it wouldn't take much to find the seller, I am considering getting some of the SNES bootlegs just to have a version of the game to play with out running me dry. I still have about $300 left over from PRGE and I got paid today too. if I take the plunge I'll post pics, dissect, what haves you

seller has good reviews atleast, people seem happy knowing what they are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The better choice would be personal taste or reasons obviously. I know and expect not everyone to agree but in this case I'm happy about it. I'm not always pro bootleg but with games being scammed over these days with inflated prices anything to hurt those people I like. It goes back to being a kid and having two hobbies of mine being ruined by the same greasy tactics which caused me to stop. I'd rather high quality fakes be there as a noted option than no choice but emulators and flash kits being it.
    Inflated prices aren't a scam. You don't have to like people who scalp or sell at a high price, but they're not doing anything wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Crash market, crash!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So it's not at all a "greasy tactic" to make bootlegs and profit off of a product you have no ownership over? And what about that the fact that bootleg goods are often not produced by one single individual but rather associated with organized crime? You're cool with possibly funneling money into the Chinese mafia?

That's all preferable to a rare game being expensive on the used market because that's what collectors are willing to pay for it?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

While I'd like prices to go down too, but on the other hand if I'm going to buy a bootleg I at least want to know it's a bootleg, so I know what sort of quality to expect.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not looking to line the pockets of any of these jack asses. Bootlegs or resellers I will buy a flashcart from krizz and not worry about all the drama and bullshit that comes along with retro collecting. I will just save all my future cash for modern games and just enjoy myself. The money only goes to these leaches. It doesn't help any of the old companies when I buy games on eBay. They made their money on it. My hobby is playing games not staring at a shelf I spent $10,000. Yea, its cool to see them on the shelf but it wears off over time.

There are tons of people who have huge collections of things that they get tired of seeing. I just see it as a waste.tonhave hundreds of snes carts all over the place and the to get tired of them later. Whatever talking to collectors is like trying to get someone off meth. It isn't easy.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    So it's not at all a "greasy tactic" to make bootlegs and profit off of a product you have no ownership over? And what about that the fact that bootleg goods are often not produced by one single individual but rather associated with organized crime? You're cool with possibly funneling money into the Chinese mafia?

That's all preferable to a rare game being expensive on the used market because that's what collectors are willing to pay for it?
    The collectards dumping stupid money into R@R3 G@M3S L@@K caused this, they will reap what they sow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Niku I never backtracked the seller, looked like aliexpress though so it shouldn't be hard I wouldn't think. I was just referring to the N64 stuff, but the SNES definitely not if they're just cheap molds that included the security screw being copied as part of the plastic so that it's a snap case. If the guy has solid reviews and lots of people are happy I don't see why it wouldn't be a good decision if you can save a bundle and have a legit cart there versus just some ROM dump loading flash kit.

Zthun po-tay-toe -- po-tah-toe The tactics involved in putting it there is a scam and that to me is wrong. And being technical scalping depending on the venue can be illegal (not in this case though.)

Aussie - We never agree I know that and I'd rather the triads have the money. They're both greasy tactics, just a different type. I'd rather support someone making a cheap quality copycat when it comes to games. I don't much care who or what made it, and that goes into anything. I don't care if some little chinese kid is sewing my shoes together for 10cents an hour or if it's some local doing it for $10/hr as that's getting into whiny political agendas which I ignore. I'd rather if the price was low enough, and the thing was sold accurately as a copy, pay to the modern game maker (even if it's as you speculate the chinese mafia) than someone with a legit game trying to hose me out of hundreds. I'd rather give the money to someone making a product than a scalper trying to squeeze an inflated cost out of a good they have as they're producing nothing. Mind you if the game in question was still actively for sale, I'd rather buy the original every time to support the company (so if someone were making PS4 boots of Uncharted Trilogy I'd be pissed, but we're talking dead games here.) I basically put legit first when from the maker, second I'd pay a person making a duplicate without permission (or for a flash kit if I wanted one again), and lastly because I view them as bottom feeders I'd deal with the scalper who I view as less than a bootlegger as they're producing nothing.

The bootlegger is basically just selling a ROM on a set of chips in a nice wrapper package. The other guy is trying to sell me the same ROM on legit old parts and stickers, and since I don't value games beyond what they were worth really 5 years ago before this problem started I'm not going to pay up and whatever the seller of that is to me I really don't care. I see it as paying a bit to have a tangible copy instead of having to use a meaningless free copy on my computer and I'm fine with that.

kai -- I understand what you're saying, but I see getting a pure copy of a cart as no worse, other than the fact you just get one game, not the ability to run whatever. In the end they're both front-ends to run illegal ROMs so neither is any better or worse than the other. I don't buy enough to justify a flash kit anymore and I know with the time I have I'd not get the value out of it. You're right though talking to collectors will get you nowhere as they're control freak addicts.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Aussie - We never agree I know that and I'd rather the triads have the money. They're both greasy tactics, just a different type. I'd rather support someone making a cheap quality copycat when it comes to games. I don't much care who or what made it, and that goes into anything. I don't care if some little chinese kid is sewing my shoes together for 10cents an hour or if it's some local doing it for $10/hr as that's getting into whiny political agendas which I ignore. I'd rather if the price was low enough, and the thing was sold accurately as a copy, pay to the modern game maker (even if it's as you speculate the chinese mafia) than someone with a legit game trying to hose me out of hundreds. I'd rather give the money to someone making a product than a scalper trying to squeeze an inflated cost out of a good they have as they're producing nothing.
    I was going to ask if you would seriously support an organization that murders people (http://time.com/10445/hong-kong-tria...lower-profile/) just to spite some predatory resellers. But after reading that quote, I guess you would. What an incredibly selfish, and ignorant thing to say. Advocating the suffering an exploitation of - anyone - just to save a few bucks on classic games is pretty damn low. That attitude is equally as disgusting, if not worse, then those of the people you complain about at NA.

Disclaimer: I don't know that bootleg carts are the product of the Triads, I never thought about it before, but apparently they do have ties to widescale film bootleging so it would make sense. Aussie's theory isn't at all far-fetched. That said I'm purely responding to the notion, even if you don't believe her, that it's irrelevant.
    Last edited by Daria; 10-23-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

My problem is that once the door is open, then the cheap copies become available. I remember several years ago being enthused about Astro boy on the GBA. I wanted to purchase a copy as a gift. I went on eBay and found a copy. When it arrived it felt funny, very different from my copy. I opened it up and the case was thin. The PCB had a glop in the middle of where the chip should have been. It played ok but I did not give it as a gift. Even though the price was good, I was disappointed. If it is a fake then tell me it is a fake. I will purchase it if that is what I want. I know they are not hiding that fact here concerning the N64 games. But I am not sure I agree with the market being flooded with junk. What about the quality of the fakes, cheap caps that will deteriorate over a short period? Obviously "money" is what it is all about with these people, not providing me with a cost saving version to help me out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gbaFAKE.gif 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	8339

I do have mixed feelings. I have three Sega fakes that have the glop on the PCB. I purchased these for $15 USD each knowing what they were. So I guess I find the price of the N64 fakes somewhat disturbing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SegaFAKE.gif 
Views:	10 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	8340

Reproduction cart? If the price is right. But with these prices I would have to go with the suggestion of the everdrive 64 idea. I deep down would love to have the original cart. But the insane market puts them out of my reach.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I was going to ask if you would seriously support an organization that murders people (http://time.com/10445/hong-kong-tria...lower-profile/) just to spite some predatory resellers. But after reading that quote, I guess you would. What an incredibly selfish, and ignorant thing to say. Advocating the suffering an exploitation of - anyone - just to save a few bucks on classic games is pretty damn low. That attitude is equally as disgusting, if not worse, then those of the people you complain about at NA.

Disclaimer: I don't know that bootleg carts are the product of the Triads, I never thought about it before, but apparently they do have ties to widescale film bootleging so it would make sense. Aussie's theory isn't at all far-fetched. That said I'm purely responding to the notion, even if you don't believe her, that it's irrelevant.
    I like to think he's exaggerating to make a point and get people talking about a pet peeve of his with that one, as not just this thread, but as I'm sure everyone knows without me saying, a large percentage of his posts contain some mention of disliking the resale market or advocating for things like piracy in order to crash it. At the same time, he just bought an NES lot with the primary intent to resell it on ebay, paid for his PinBot by selling high-ticket games, and just posted in the Import Mania forum about how a "jackass from the UK" tried to pass him off a bootleg Alien Hominid for GBA and he complained and got it for free.

So, it's either hyperbole to get people talking, or it's really bad hypocrisy. I prefer to hope it's exaggeration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Daria and if that's how you care to see it that's fine. I was being sarcastic though saying the triad on there since aussie thought it would be cute to play the chinese mafia angle assuming they had anything at all to do with it in the least bit. The whole point was a trickle down thing -- If the company supports it, don't steal. If it's dead and they get nothing I'd rather buy a bootlegged good from a maker than some scumbag trying to scalp something (whatever that thing is, games, venue tickets, etc.)

I doubt bootleg games are a bother of the triads anyway, old nintendo carts couldn't possibly have the profit in them that ripping off new music and video/movies do which I'd understand an organization wanting to get in on. I'd say that supporting the scalper is equally as low, you're still supporting exploitation and they're not even making a good.

What I'm saying isn't ignorant, I get the entire concept of it which would make it not a stupid comment, selfish or just uncaring sure perhaps, but ignorant no. The chinese kids and shoes bit was alluding to what Nike does in China to get those $100+ high tops out there people flock to. I guess that makes all those shoe buyers scumbags too eh? It's really a fact of life. Why do you think companies all outsource their creation of goods to third world countries or those who treat their citizens as such (China?) They can still charge $100 for an item, but have it only cost them a couple bucks to make instead of like $20 due to US labor laws, pay, and so on. Might as well vilify every single person in this country who buys anything that doesn't say Made in the USA on the label since the item is made through cheap labor under shitty or at least less than ideal circumstances outside this country.

Retro we're on the same page there actually. I can't remember if I noted it on this forum but within the last month I bought on accident a bootleg GBA game from the UK I had no idea was actually bootlegged since it's not all that expensive cart alone ($30 USD converted) and I paid $20 shipped -- Alien Hominid. The shell is right, the board (pins and Nintendo ink under the hood) is right, and the label is right other than the finest parts of the lettering ink are like a hairs width more narrow. Inside though are 2 chips and a glop top in the middle -- it works right, it plays right, it even long term retains a save game right too. My problem, they didn't tell me it was dupe as I'd have paid about 1/2 what I did for it. Just like with those overpriced 1:1's of N64 games, if they were like $30~ and not $80 I'd be on board because they're being advertised as such so I know what I'm getting. I'd love an original too, and sure I could save a little and get one, but the prices are inane and I'd rather seek alternatives until it implodes in on itself.

For some it's about them getting money off people, others it would be cost savings and a middle finger to scalpers too, but everyone has their own reasons. I mean I have the printer and I can easily within a week get the supplies needed to make 1:1 labels for NES, SNES, GB stuff and N64 games most wouldn't be able to tell the difference on as I learned the process, but I just don't do it. Instead anyone asks I share the info on the how to do it and where to get the stuff because I'd rather someone keep their $300 game with the shitty label and have them replace it than sell it off to an uptight collector at a loss to re-buy the same thing for a sticker.

By the way went poking around on aliexpress for 64bit game card, found all four games being done so far on N64. Of the 4 only 1 of them costs less than the reproduction. Also they're now charging $67 for them, not $80 so it's down some.
    Harvest Moon 64 is a $50 game for legit, so that's over.

But...
    Bomberman Second Attack $150 vs $67
    Worms Armageddon $125 vs $67
    Clayfighter Sculpters Cut $230 vs $67
    (prices are averages on paid ebay currently)

Seems Little Samson is up there for $25 at the same type of run off quality too. I'm actually pretty tempted to snap up Worms or Bomberman just to check out the quality of it, Samson too due to price.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 10-23-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I like to think he's exaggerating to make a point and get people talking about a pet peeve of his with that one, as not just this thread, but as I'm sure everyone knows without me saying, a large percentage of his posts contain some mention of disliking the resale market or advocating for things like piracy in order to crash it. At the same time, he just bought an NES lot with the primary intent to resell it on ebay, paid for his PinBot by selling high-ticket games, and just posted in the Import Mania forum about how a "jackass from the UK" tried to pass him off a bootleg Alien Hominid for GBA and he complained and got it for free.

So, it's either hyperbole to get people talking, or it's really bad hypocrisy. I prefer to hope it's exaggeration.
    We have a winner...hyperbole and exaggeration. As far as that NES lot goes, I kept what I wanted and sold the rest, and while no excuse I priced them to move lower on there and everything but 2 of the games are gone at this point. I just wish that z-bag I always wanted with that lot wasn't ruined as I intended that as the big keeper in it. My Pinbot as well as this laptop and tablets I've bought were as you said, bought off expensive and not so expensive games, but they weren't bought online or off as flip fodder. I've been slicing my game collection for years now. I've fairly well bottomed out without just wanting to get rid of a console or handheld all together at this rate so anything I sell anymore now will be stuff I tire of or like the NES lot where I buy to keep some, sell some to get my money back primarily. Sure it could look like hypocrisy I get that, but what's the alternative? Sell everything with a $5-10Bin on ebay so a reseller could then cash in on it? I'd rather make something on it, but enough that flipping it isn't enticing to others.

Funny how this all derailed the whole N64 game story I found eh? I've wondered for years why no one has bothered with it other than like the few known NESWorld covered years ago (Mario 64, Pilotwings and Wave Race I believe.) Perhaps it's just not be a matter of not knowing but being too expensive until now?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I was being sarcastic though saying the triad on there since aussie thought it would be cute to play the chinese mafia angle assuming they had anything at all to do with it in the least bit.
    I'm not trying to be "cute" or hyperbolic here. I'm presenting a very fair possibility. I'm sorry if that makes you too uncomfortable to even entertain the notion. Bootlegging, no matter who is doing it, is a crime. It's long been a staple of organized crime along with prostitution, drug trafficking, illegal gambling, etc. Everybody knows there's widespread bootlegging of entertainment products and other non-essentials, like movies and handbags, and given the sheer quantity of bootleg games that exist for certain game platforms, like Famicom and GBA, all signs point to bigger operations rather than sole individuals producing them. I don't know if there's ever been solid confirmation of bootleg games being produced by organized crime, but I do know that it's been confirmed that bootleg game and anime soundtracks have been produced by organized crime units in Hong Kong and/or Taiwan. If there's money to be made, why wouldn't they also deal in bootleg games? So like Daria said, it's not a far-fetched idea.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

We have a winner...hyperbole and exaggeration.
    ...Yeah you don't get to claim hyperbole and then go to write a book justifying the callous dismissal of human rights in a foreign country. It's one or the other.