Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone play classic systems with an EDTV (extended definition)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is SD. If it was ED, it would have an EDTV badge on it and they would be prominently advertising it as a feature.
    Not necessarily true. My Emerson LCD EDTV can do 480p. It doesn't mention EDTV anywhere on the set. I think it's just a small mention in the manual. My rule of thumb, which will have exceptions, is "if it is a 4:3 LCD with component input, it is an EDTV."

Emerson EWL20S5 if you want to look it up.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    Not necessarily true. My Emerson LCD EDTV can do 480p. It doesn't mention EDTV anywhere on the set. I think it's just a small mention in the manual. My rule of thumb, which will have exceptions, is "if it is a 4:3 LCD with component input, it is an EDTV."

Emerson EWL20S5 if you want to look it up.
    Marketing fail.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

That is a Hi-Scan model. It displays everything at 1080i; however, it does not accept an HD signal over component.
    I have a 4:3 Sony Hi-Scan (KV-32HS420) CRT. It shows a letterbox display when doing content in 720p/1080i over component/HDMI. You can actually hear the gun whine when it is doing 720p/1080i, because of the increased scan lines.

Light guns don't work my HD CRT, that's for sure.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I have a 4:3 Sony Hi-Scan (KV-32HS420) CRT. It shows a letterbox display when doing content in 720p/1080i over component/HDMI.
    I was referring specifically to his model which does not accept HD over component.

You can actually hear the gun whine when it is doing 720p/1080i, because of the increased scan lines.

Light guns don't work my HD CRT, that's for sure.
    Interesting about the whine. The fact that light guns don't work means that it's not displaying 480i natively, and if the GunCon2 doesn't work it is not displaying 480p natively either. I suspect your whine is not coming from the yoke, but rather from the flyback or the power supply. Bad capacitors can also squeal. Is this whine different when a bright picture is displayed vs a dark one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I was referring specifically to his model which does not accept HD over component.

Interesting about the whine. The fact that light guns don't work means that it's not displaying 480i natively, and if the GunCon2 doesn't work it is not displaying 480p natively either. I suspect your whine is not coming from the yoke, but rather from the flyback or the power supply. Bad capacitors can also squeal. Is this whine different when a bright picture is displayed vs a dark one?
    The whine is from the gun. All CRTs have that whine, if you listen with the volume down. I'm pretty sure that the gun frequency increases when displaying 720p and 1080i. I have 2 of these sets.

I don't know about the GunCon2 with this set. I've only tried it with the Sega Stunners and a couple of light guns with the Dreamcast. I'm pretty sure that it does line doubling, instead of true interlace.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-02-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The whine is from the gun. All CRTs have that whine, if you listen with the volume down. I'm pretty sure that the gun frequency increases when displaying 720p and 1080i. I have 2 of these sets.
    Guns do not whine, deflection coils (which is what makes the beams scan) whine. Furthermore, unless something is vibrating at a resonant harmonic (which can happen) the whine should be inaudible at the scan frequencies for 720p (45 kHz) and 1080i (33.75 kHz). 480i scans horizontally at 15.73 kHz which is in the range of human hearing and is often why you hear many SD TVs squealing. All CRTs do not produce an audible whine. My XS955 doesn't whine and neither did my old Dell PC monitor. I have a DiamondPoint SB70 that whines only at a specific range of scanning frequencies (somewhere around 48 kHz, must be producing a resonant harmonic) and only when cold; and a Diamond Pro 2070SB that I am currently using has developed an intermittent whine when it is hot that is affected by screen brightness (probably due to having two bulging capacitors on the main board).

I'm pretty sure that it does line doubling, instead of true interlace.
    Or frame doubling depending on your settings. From there the image is either scaled to 540p/1080i or drawn in a 540p/1080i raster that is adjusted so the unused lines are in the overscan area. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Guns do not whine, deflection coils (which is what makes the beams scan) whine. Furthermore, unless something is vibrating at a resonant harmonic (which can happen) the whine should be inaudible at the scan frequencies for 720p (45 kHz) and 1080i (33.75 kHz). 480i scans horizontally at 15.73 kHz which is in the range of human hearing and is often why you hear many SD TVs squealing. All CRTs do not produce an audible whine. My XS955 doesn't whine and neither did my old Dell PC monitor. I have a DiamondPoint SB70 that whines only at a specific range of scanning frequencies (somewhere around 48 kHz, must be producing a resonant harmonic) and only when cold; and a Diamond Pro 2070SB that I am currently using has developed an intermittent whine when it is hot that is affected by screen brightness (probably due to having two bulging capacitors on the main board).
    The deflector coils are part of the gun.

(*Edit) I stand corrected. My electronics courses back in the 80's included the deflector coils as part of the gun, but they aren't really. I was referring to the deflector coils though, as you had said.

I describe the sound as whining, while it may be more of a humming noise. All I know is that I heard a change in pitch noise when I changed the settings of a PS3 from 480p to 1080i.

Or frame doubling depending on your settings. From there the image is either scaled to 540p/1080i or drawn in a 540p/1080i raster that is adjusted so the unused lines are in the overscan area. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.
    I could never find a definitive answer on the 480i mode for this television. I do know that the image does not appear to be cut off, compared to the 27" Sony Wega SD set I have sitting right next to it. 720p/1080i content (16:9) has the left and right edges slightly cut off though.

What you are describing sounds more like for a widescreen television. This CRT is best suited for 480p content (Gamecube and Xbox look fantastic in 480p) and does its scaling with widescreen 720p/1080i images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sony.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	8356  
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-03-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I describe the sound as whining, while it may be more of a humming noise. All I know is that I heard a change in pitch noise when I changed the settings of a PS3 from 480p to 1080i.
    Is a like a low pitch buzz? You could be hearing the vertical deflection. Odd how it changes pitch though.

Of note, is that I just found out that I can measure the frequency of the deflection coils and the flyback by placing my multimeter probe in close proximity. Tested this on a multiscan PC monitor to see if this works and got the expected results. I then tested my XS955 and got 33.7 kHz with all resolutions and DRC settings. Unfortunately I didn't think to pay attention to the vertical scan rate.

I could never find a definitive answer on the 480i mode for this television. I do know that the image does not appear to be cut off, compared to the 27" Sony Wega SD set I have sitting right next to it. 720p/1080i content (16:9) has the left and right edges slightly cut off though.

What you are describing sounds more like for a widescreen television. This CRT is best suited for 480p content (Gamecube and Xbox look fantastic in 480p) and does its scaling with widescreen 720p/1080i images.
    Your set also has DRC which can't be turned off (at least on mine). From the marketing specs PDF https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...ls#/manualsTab :

"DRC™ Digital Reality Creation™ Multi-function analyzes a 480i NTSC image and creates a digital bit mapped pattern in real time. The original NTSC signal is mapped in real time, replaced with an HD representative, and then discarded. Because DRC™ processes video signals in real time, it creates an image with 4X the density of the original signal. Resolution is increased both vertically and horizontally."

The question is what does it do with the resulting 480p/960i image. The scan frequencies (horizontal and vertical) will at least tell us if it is displaying it natively.

EDIT: I know that you, Gamevet, probably know this, but for the benefit of others who are not familiar with CRTs; dangerous voltages in excess of 25,000 volts are present and touching the wrong thing can seriously injure you even if it is powered off and unplugged.
    Last edited by RP2A03; 11-03-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Is a like a low pitch buzz? You could be hearing the vertical deflection. Odd how it changes pitch though.
    I'd noticed that the current set I have in my office does not have that high pitch while running in 720p. I started thinking about the other set that I had in my office, and I'm thinking that increase in pitch may have come from a failing power supply inside of that television. I had to take that set in for repairs back @ 2006-07 to get the PSU and board replaced. The technicians could not pinpoint why the television was shutting down when I ran 720p/1080i, but that does tell me that there was more power demand from the gun and deflectors while running in the higher resolution.

Your set also has DRC which can't be turned off (at least on mine). From the marketing specs PDF https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...ls#/manualsTab :

"DRC™ Digital Reality Creation™ Multi-function analyzes a 480i NTSC image and creates a digital bit mapped pattern in real time. The original NTSC signal is mapped in real time, replaced with an HD representative, and then discarded. Because DRC™ processes video signals in real time, it creates an image with 4X the density of the original signal. Resolution is increased both vertically and horizontally."

The question is what does it do with the resulting 480p/960i image. The scan frequencies (horizontal and vertical) will at least tell us if it is displaying it natively.
    I certainly don't want to crack open my television to test. I don't have an oscilloscope.

I do know that the television displays 480p perfectly, and even interlaced content that I know is being displayed in 640 x 480 (Dreamcast looks better in S-Video on this set than VGA on an LCD), shows no signs of pixel line fill. It's when I'm running Genesis, NES and SNES games, that I can see the line double effect, but it still looks pretty good.

EDIT: I know that you, Gamevet, probably know this, but for the benefit of others who are not familiar with CRTs; dangerous voltages in excess of 25,000 volts are present and touching the wrong thing can seriously injure you even if it is powered off and unplugged.
    I watched my instructor discharge a tube. It released a large bluish arc to ground. It was quite a site to see.

I never really used my degree to do full-on electronics repairs, but it does come in handy for trouble-shooting stuff while in the field for my current job. I somehow ended up in the information technologies field instead.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly don't want to crack open my television to test. I don't have an oscilloscope.
    I don't have an oscilloscope either. The deflection coils and the flyback put out a strong enough electromagnetic field that you can measure the frequency with a digital multimeter that has a frequency setting. The EM field coming off the flyback is so strong that I can measure it without taking the back off my TVs and even with no probes connected to the meter.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never used an EDTV, but my grandparents have one sitting in their closet I plan to someday set up for my old school systems if I ever get around to going over there and dragging it home.

I will say my N64 looks a lot better on my HD CRT Wega than it does on my HD LCD Samsung. I can't even stand to look at it on the Sammy, on the Wega it looks as good if not better than it did on my old SD CRT. SD stuff in general just looks great on the Wega, not as good as actual HD, but good enough that before I got an HD cable box, my dad was looking at some show on it, and remarked about it being a nice HD picture. Just too bad it doesn't support 1080p, damn companies stopped making CRT before that was a thing.