Thread: Pumpkin Carving Competition - Deadline: November 7th - DP Spooktactular Featuring Your Video-Game-Themed Jack-O-Lanterns!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Talking Pumpkin Carving Competition - Deadline: November 7th - DP Spooktactular Featuring Your Video-Game-Themed Jack-O-Lanterns!

Attention beings of the mortal realm! It's time for the somewhat annu-Hell Digital Press Retrogaming Roundtable jack-o-lantern showcase... OF DOOM!

We've got six categories for this year which means we could have six winners! All entries are required to be video-game-themed. Everyone is allowed only one entry per category, but you can enter everyone of the categories. Therefore if you wanted, you could enter six times this way!

The six categories are:
    ===
    Hand-carved Division
    ---
    Silly
    Scary
    Something Else

Power-tool-carved Division
    ---
    Silly
    Scary
    Something Else

Hand-carved entries must use just regular kitchen knives, spikes, other hand-tools, and possibly a paper template. Those which are carved with more advanced tools such as drills, Dremels, CAD, and other aids including power tools go into the power-tool-carved categories. And "Something Else" is our category for miscellany of course.

You have until 1:00 A.M. Pacific Time (the witching hour!) on November 7th to get your entries into the competition. Please attach your photos directly to the message board in JPEG or PNG file format. Clearly mark which of the six categories into which you are entering your jack-o-lanterns. If anyone submits multiple entries for the same category, then only his/her first entry for the category will be counted.

Voting on the entries will begin immediately afterward on November 7th, and the voting will end at 11 P.M. Pacific Time on November 8th. Votes go into this thread - just make a post with your votes for each category. Winners will be announced on November 9th or 10th.

What will the prizes be? For our glorious winners, Steam codes for digital copies of games will be distributed. Naturally, if you don't want any of them, it is acceptable to pass on the prizes... but you will still be crowned our supernatural winners!

Now make haste! Quickly with you now! Away to toil in labor! The hours grow short and time waits for no man. Carve, carve, and create many a simulacra for our macabre festival of bizarre merriment! Hoist your deformed gourds in front of the capturer of light to show your grizzly deeds to all!

tl;dr: Carve some pumpkins, take some photos, post pics or it didn't happen. You got until Sep. 7.
    Last edited by Nz17; 11-01-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Changed the date from the 1st to the 7th

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Unhappy

Nothing like giving us zero heads up. I'll have to pass on this one because I don't have any planning time, but I would have loved to do it if I had a little (or a lot) more time.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Well what do you want? I just thought the idea up TODAY. What, should we have made the deadline for the middle of November? I mean, if anybody had posted a thread about this earlier this month or PM'd me, it would have reminded me to set this up then instead of it just occurring to me today. Considering I didn't have Internet access for most of the month and that a relative of mine was in a car wreck this month, it's amazing anything got posted at all.

Wait, the thought just occurred to me: pumpkin prices plummet at the stores after Halloween. Hmm... this could afford the opportunity for a lot more experimentation in carving. Would anyone actually want an unseasonal jack-o-lantern carving contest by having the competition end on the, I dunno, 9th of November?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hey, if you just thought it up, that's cool. I'd rather you post it up last minute than never after all. I'm just saying, it would be better if we had a little longer. A dead line a week into November definitely sounds better.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Mortals, the rules have been changed!

Entry period:
    Now until November 7th @ 1:00 A.M. Pacific Time

Voting begins:
    Immediately afterward

Voting ends:
    November 8th @ 11 P.M. Pacific Time

Winners announced:
    November 9th/10th

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Any pumpkins? Anyone? Perhaps you all are just busy. It is Halloween after all. Well, when you are done with your tricks, parties, and treats, return here with your best jack-o-lantern photos please.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Deadline: September 7th"?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    "Deadline: September 7th"?
    Curses! I meant November, not September! Blast all these -embers!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This was the first one I've ever carved. Never got into Halloween much, but now that I have a 10 month old I went ahead and did one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151101_010651.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	8353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151101_010701.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	8354
    lights on, lights off
    Hand carved with a steak knife. Nothing special, but my son seemed to like it.