Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nov 3 - I got a Genesis, now about those games? (was the CDX was it worth it thread)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've used them both equally but again been so long I really don't remember preferring one. I just kind of left whatever was in there at the time since I did have SF2CE back then. I had this long distance gf of sorts out of the country and she needed a US Gamecube back in 01 so she had this order through the US of a US Genesis (2 of them) and a big box of games -- for me to ship the new GC down there I got to keep the 20~ games and the system so that's what got me started on it back in the day.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is actually a three button controller variant that is supposed to have a good D-pad.

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...ntroller-dpads
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well that's interesting. I imagine if I were to guess given the time frame the 6 button I had was probably the one they're thinking sucks. I was ok with it, never felt it had the responsive tightness of the NIntendo d-pad, but it wasn't a problem either, and I imagine it's probably to a degree mentally ingrained preference. Shame the pictures don't exist anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The dpad on the 6-button controller, Saturn controller, and improved 3-button controller is one of the best dpads ever made. I can perform stuff flawlessly on Street Fighter 2 with it. Shame they didn't keep that for the Dreamcast.

<EDIT> If you need pictures, check out the Sega Retro wiki: http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Me...ve)#Variations
    The topright most picture under Variations is the improved design. Note the large space in between the dpad and the controller plastic.
    Last edited by BetaWolf; 11-02-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well that's interesting. I imagine if I were to guess given the time frame the 6 button I had was probably the one they're thinking sucks. I was ok with it, never felt it had the responsive tightness of the NIntendo d-pad, but it wasn't a problem either, and I imagine it's probably to a degree mentally ingrained preference. Shame the pictures don't exist anymore.
    The blue start button variant is garbage, not even Sega Official. I was referring to the original rubber smooth orig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm well then that solves that, the auction I was looking at has the original first version controllers with that original release system, kind of makes sense I guess.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm well then that solves that, the auction I was looking at has the original first version controllers with that original release system, kind of makes sense I guess.
    I meant that there are 2 different 6-button variants. The original Sega produced white-button and a later crappy blue-start button variant with a shittier harder d-pad and other cosmetic changes. Those suck. They say Sega on them but they're not the original. Never knew they put them rubber dpads on 3-buttons, consider yourself lucky if that's what they are.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The CDX I read from multiple accounts works just fine with the 32X too, the manual just claims it doesn't support it is all (probably since those clips don't fit it well.)
    From what I read Sega didn't get the CDX+32X combination FCC-approved so they had to legally claim it unsupported.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

That auction you linked wasn't a launch system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I meant that there are 2 different 6-button variants. The original Sega produced white-button and a later crappy blue-start button variant with a shittier harder d-pad and other cosmetic changes. Those suck. They say Sega on them but they're not the original. Never knew they put them rubber dpads on 3-buttons, consider yourself lucky if that's what they are.
    The "Sega Club" 6-button is not identical to the Japanese version? Most people seem to think it is.
    I'll admit I haven't really looked, but I can't say I've seen an in-depth comparison.
    Last edited by theclaw; 11-03-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    That auction you linked wasn't a launch system
    The one with the altered beast one is the correct audio non TMSS release. I've gone through multiple sites so far and all of them say that the FCC code has the added 46E on the bottom of it. It's a non-TMSS system with no lockout and the good audio package people prefer.

I referenced this for it -- http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones
    and this - http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/SEG...ion_Specs.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The issue is that the most desirable games to me, a good many cost around $100-130, a few around the $50 mark which I am not amused with.
    Which games are you interested in? Are you just wanting RPGs, or are there others you're looking for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The RPGs were interesting, but so were other things too like Lords of Thunder which is well up there. I don't have a list in front of me. The CDX sold anyway.

I went ahead instead and bought a non-TMSS model 1 system with the good audio core. It came with Altered Beast. IN advance of that I've been doing a few things, first I went to both half price books today and for so few dollars (nothing was over $4.50) I grabbed the Genesis 6-Pak, Disney's Aladdin, Mean Bean Machine, Sonic 2, and Sonic Spinball. I put an offer on a TMNT cart on ebay too and it was accepted and have one down on Dune 2 which I used to own and want again.

I also made this huge ass list of potential games to get, I'm serious about a library of fun to grow at a decent non-speedy pace so I'm not overwhelmed but I do want a good bit of stuff I hadn't had before. Most of that list is fresh, but maybe 10-20% of it I had once (like the Konami games, Star Control, Virtua Racing, Ghouls N Ghosts.) I never did have that turtles game.

This is what I worked up so far...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

It's kind of long, anything decent I'm missing? I know I don't have the various 1on1 fighters, SNES ported stuff like Sunset Riders and Zombies Ate My Neighbors aren't either, and yes i'm aware Gunstar Heroes isn't (never was a huge fan of it, I know, amazing.)

I'm also looking to just go cartridge only, don't need the overhead and saves space, but I will be fairly label picky about wear. A few little teeny pen top nicks are fine, white rub fold edge and the usual worse stuff no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Burning Force, fun shooter with distinctive music.

Sports are a cheap multiplayer option. Tecmo Super Bowl and EA's NHL games have their fans.
    Lum fan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dick Tracy. I dig alot of the pre-Sonic era stuff. The games had a charm and feel to them that felt fresh.

Atomic Runner is a quirky little run-n-gun autoscroller. Loved Data East back in those days.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Here are a few I like:

Shooters not called MUSHA
    Phelios
    Grind Stormer
    Steel Empire
    Hellfire
    Elemental Master
    Fire Shark
    Forgotten Worlds
    Sol-Deace
    Granada
    Truxton
    Trouble Shooter
    Sagaia
    Bio Hazard Battle
    Insector X

Action/Platformers
    Mystic Defender
    El Viento
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Saint Sword
    Ranger X
    Marvel Land

Action RPG
    King of Colosseum
    Beyond Oasis
    Exile

Others
    Alien Storm
    Gain Ground
    Crack Down
    Humans
    Bonanza Bros
    Shadowrun
    Shining Force
    Shining Force II
    Toejam & Earl
    Starflight
    Sorcerer's Kingdom

Also, if you do the 32X, Space Harrier rules. Also, like Neo Geo games, most 32X games will boot up in the native region of the console, and in that language. For instance, if I put my Japanese Cyber Brawl into my US system, it boots in English as Cosmic Carnage.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The Sega Genesis is awesome and has never had a bad game, ever. No, not even Bubsy.

(Actually, I was shocked when I first discovered the internet and found out Bubsy was considered a bad game. I always thought it was fun. Not perfect, but still a decent little platformer).

So here are a lot of my personal Genesis favorites:

Thunder Force 2, 3, 4 (4 is called "Lightening Force" in the USA)
    all the Valis games
    all the Phantasy Star games
    all the Shining Something games
    Super Hydlide
    LANDSTALKER!!!
    Light Crusader
    Sol-Deace (the Sega CD has a version called Sol-Feace which might be better, I dunno)
    Bio Hazard Battle
    Contra Hard Corps
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Chakan: the Forever Man
    Might and Magic: Gates to Another World
    Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

..... I'm on a time crunch, so I'll list more when I have more time.

Also, might get a Power Base Converter so you can play Master System games (this way you can essentially play all four Phantasy Star games on your Genny)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good suggestions, have to go over that list I linked and tweak it a bit more looking over things.

And you know I had bubsy on the SNES back in the day, finished it too, never realized it sucked either. I do remember the jump physics pissing me off until I learned them fairly well, but the game worked and the comedic moves, balancing on edges and deaths were amusing.

Also I wasn't considering a Power Base converter, they're not exactly cheap and I gave up a SMS just a few years ago as I got bored of the games I had (around 40.) I wouldn't object to it if I accidented upon one cheap locally but I don't see that likely as it's not a big game area. This weekend (with no rain) I'll hit the two flea markets and see what I could maybe dig up. I know I saw Castlevania for $40~ at one of them loose which is marginally better than online pricing.

Again thanks for some ideas. If you see something on my list that looks like it sucks let me know. I'm going to try and more or less NOT get games I had before unless I really want them back so I can play something new. I never was much of a Sega player, had the DC for its life and the Genesis with around 20+ games into its Majesco years and earlier 00s.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Instruments of Chaos is utter garbage. I'm guessing you want to see how terrible it is? It is quite laughable for about 3 minutes. Sword of Vermillion is probably the worst rpg on the system. Along with Faery Tale Adventure.

Stay away from non-sports EA titles or anything not named Road Rash. Bunch of shoddy PC and Amiga ports that were never good to begin with.

Can't agree on Super Hydlide. Aside from some decent tunes, it's still Hydlide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alisia Dragoon is a solid under looked action game, though it's price has been jumping lately.

Decapattack is strange and fun

Mystic Defender is great

All the Valis games
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12