Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nov 3 - I got a Genesis, now about those games? (was the CDX was it worth it thread)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Instruments of Chaos is utter garbage. I'm guessing you want to see how terrible it is? It is quite laughable for about 3 minutes. Sword of Vermillion is probably the worst rpg on the system. Along with Faery Tale Adventure.

Stay away from non-sports EA titles or anything not named Road Rash. Bunch of shoddy PC and Amiga ports that were never good to begin with.

Can't agree on Super Hydlide. Aside from some decent tunes, it's still Hydlide.
    I don't intend to buy any sports games at all, mostly no racers either but i like Virtua Racing on Genesis. Hydlide I avoid, the NES game and ports said enough there. I'll kill Vermillion if it's that bad, not going to waste time on a crap RPG. As far as the Instruments of Chaos -- it's Indiana Jones, have a higher pain threshold due to that alone but I'll watch more about it before I nuke it or not (probably will if it's that bad as the 3rd Indy on every system sucks balls in all forms.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Alisia Dragoon is a solid under looked action game, though it's price has been jumping lately.

Decapattack is strange and fun

Mystic Defender is great

All the Valis games
    Alisia Dragoon I really like, but never owned it's on my list already and so are all 3 of the Valis games, not sure if I put Mystic Defender and Decap Attack if I forgot to add that I should as I remember it being alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Also I wasn't considering a Power Base converter, they're not exactly cheap and I gave up a SMS just a few years ago as I got bored of the games I had (around 40.) I wouldn't object to it if I accidented upon one cheap locally but I don't see that likely as it's not a big game area. This weekend (with no rain) I'll hit the two flea markets and see what I could maybe dig up. I know I saw Castlevania for $40~ at one of them loose which is marginally better than online pricing.
    Yeah it's no priority to be honest. Look into a 3rd party solution down the road.
    Then focus on Europe for things like Master of Darkness, Ninja Gaiden, or Bubble Bobble.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I did I had the first two of those golden axe warrior, strider, streets of rage 1+2, all the sonics and some others. SMS is fairly played out for me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey now, the EA sports games are awesome on Genny. Best ever, right alongside the Tecmo Bowls and Blades of Steels of the world. Road Rash is a riot as well. Can't lump those sports games into the modern sports garbage released today. I've seen them go for as low as 50¢. It's a shame how the 8 and 16 bit sports games take as much hate as they do nowadays.

Remember the old Madden Bowls? Masta Ace(one of the greatest rappers ever) used to wreck the tournament. It was fun reading about it in the Source, of all magazines. It's been ruined, not even fun anymore. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok in all fairness I only hate most sports games made and don't want to bother. That said, unlicensed sports titles like Baseball Stars, the 'Mario' sports stuff on GBC/N64 were solid, Hot Shots Golf stuff, Blades of Steel, Double Dribble -- I got into that. NHL94 fan here like most, it was at its best there, and I would never shit talk my own game I was on NHL Hitz2002 as I loved that no penalty hockey beat down we created at Midway (the sequels blew, story behind it related to EA's disgusting behavior.) I have no interest at all in football real or game, but yes I know tecmo bowl is loved.

I just need to for the time being try and restrain myself and pace some growth so I don't get burned out. There's so little coming out on the 3DS or PS4 I want at all going forward and it is spaced out too that I'd put good money on I've got time. NES and SNES is out of control, N64 I'm good with for awhile now, and GB/C I need to play what I have so it's a good place to be to explore. That's why the thread exists. I never had a lot of time for the Genny when I had it. I put a lot of time more on the Nomad than the G3 by far and I did Virtua Racing until I got good at it, Konami's franchie stuff(but never turtles oddly), GnG from Capcom, and a few of the other mass loved well explored stuff from Sega themselves like Sonic and Vectorman which I couldn't get into much kind of like GUnstar Heroes. I'd like to have some variety, stuff that's not glaringly hard but not all push over either, just enjoyable and maybe feels a little less 'Nintendo' like I suppose though even cute stuff like Ristar and Dynamite Headdy look solid.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Instruments of Chaos is utter garbage. I'm guessing you want to see how terrible it is? It is quite laughable for about 3 minutes. Sword of Vermillion is probably the worst rpg on the system. Along with Faery Tale Adventure.
    Honestly, from what I've played of Sword of Vermillion, I don't see why it has a bad reputation.

That said, the mention of Faery Tale Adventure and the comment on Super Hydlide remind me of an article/video I wanted to do. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it seems like sometimes people just don't "get" older types of RPGs that put more impetus on the player's own willingness to explore and discover and less on telling a story. Not to say there aren't games that do that completely the wrong way--there certainly are--but usually once you figure out the right way to play older RPGs, they're damn fun. Hell I practically can't stand Final Fantasy VI anymore now that I've discovered the older style, and FFVI was the game that introduced me to RPGs.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Honestly, from what I've played of Sword of Vermillion, I don't see why it has a bad reputation.

That said, the mention of Faery Tale Adventure and the comment on Super Hydlide remind me of an article/video I wanted to do. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it seems like sometimes people just don't "get" older types of RPGs that put more impetus on the player's own willingness to explore and discover and less on telling a story. Not to say there aren't games that do that completely the wrong way--there certainly are--but usually once you figure out the right way to play older RPGs, they're damn fun. Hell I practically can't stand Final Fantasy VI anymore now that I've discovered the older style, and FFVI was the game that introduced me to RPGs.
    I respect that, most def. I tend to give every game a chance, and don't care what critics say. But these games just never did it for me. No disrespect. If you're into that style of game, ok. They don't fit on the Genesis in my opinion. There's a 68000 in there, not meant for boring, slow paced rpgs. Like the crippling Snes cpu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have two reasons to hate EA Sports games - first, I don't like sports. Second, EA sports games are pretty much three-fourths of the Genesis racks in any retro store. They're everywhere, in every flea market or thrift store, there's a few EA sports games someplace there but no other game genre. It's shocking to find Genesis games in the wild that aren't sports games, to be honest. That makes it easy to hate them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I don't like old style RPGs if we're talking something cruder than like Final Fantasy 4J would be viewed today in its original format or even it's precursors on the NES/Famicom. I don't like having big open areas with a total lack of a sense of direction, but worse yet are those should have been left on pen and paper types where you need to basically graph out where you're walking so you don't just up just going in circles until you expire. I don't need an in game map persay, but when it starts getting bloated and slow enough to get confusing and tiring I rarely could put up with it 20 years ago and I have no tolerance for it at all now. The last one I tried that with was Arcana (SNES) earlier this yera and only took down around a 1/3 of the game before I got fed up with it, and it even has an in game pen and paper grid map it drew for you.

If there are some fairly crusty RPGs on this system, warn me if they're on the list as I want nothing to do with it. Diablo types I can dael with, but pen and paper or just large and confusing dungeon stuff I can not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NES and SNES is out of control
    Only if you want 1st party, JRPG's, and Konami & Capcom titles. While that's a large swath of the classics for those two systems, it still leaves many dozens of nice games that can still be had for very little.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I have two reasons to hate EA Sports games - first, I don't like sports. Second, EA sports games are pretty much three-fourths of the Genesis racks in any retro store. They're everywhere, in every flea market or thrift store, there's a few EA sports games someplace there but no other game genre. It's shocking to find Genesis games in the wild that aren't sports games, to be honest. That makes it easy to hate them.
    Ever bothered to glance over the SNES or NES sections these days? It's a travesty for all cartridge based relics of the past. I've seen Aladdin more times that it makes me sick. If you don't like sports, whatever, that's fine. Doesn't change the fact they are the funnest of any generation. Typical sports hate.

Here's one for ya. Anime sucks, the art style is played out to the nth degree. Young under-the-age girls with bug eyes, big tits, and skimpy outfits? Makes me question the entire industry...
    Last edited by FieryReign; 11-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Only if you want 1st party, JRPG's, and Konami & Capcom titles. While that's a large swath of the classics for those two systems, it still leaves many dozens of nice games that can still be had for very little.
    Or perhaps the fact I've owned around 400+ NES games from the full library and there's little left I'd bother with anymore helps on that, and the few I would are more expensive and I won't be baited into 3 figures games (and no they're not from capcom or konami or nintendo.) SNES though, I've got a small list of games I've got outstanding in my google drive, but they'll be nitpicked at as I find the motivation and time to care, or if I can find them in my travels cheap as I won't bother with them online I don't think. I do have a Zombies Ate My Neighbors on hold at half price books, they will do it despite being a coupon week so I"ll snap it up on Sunday for $20 instead of $40.

I've got to go with Steve on that. Even when I didn't mind it a lot of attention, it was still always in my face going by the shelves and tables...wall of EA Sports/EA games in general crap spewed everywhere in all forms of nice looking to destroyed(more oftne than not in the ugly end) on the shelves. Played out, boring, and no one wants them. I don't like sports games as I can figure out the AI fairly well in the 2D era/1st 3D gen system stuff so I stick with the unlicensed and sometimes goofy titles as they have better ground to stand on and last. Sports games are hardly the funnest of the games out there unless you're just a sports addict. It's the same shit year in, year out with a new date and a new roster thrown on it and still with the full sticker price. Perhaps more acceptable pre-internet/patching with HDD days but today it's fucking insulting buying Madden for $60, then getting nickel and dimed for extras...then 12 months later they update a roster and the date and very little else and hit you again. Easily could save everyone time and money pushing those updates for like $20-30, but why bother when you have an entire sea of sucker fish.

Anyway on topic...I wrangled a decent deal this evening on a 6 pack of Genesis games in a nice little priority mail bundle -- Castlevania, GnG, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, MK1 and Zero Tolerance. That will be a nice spread of goodies to put some time on, only have had the first two before. I've had an Illusion game before on the GG/SMS in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Here's one for ya. Anime sucks, the art style is played out to the nth degree. Young under-the-age girls with bug eyes, big tits, and skimpy outfits? Makes me question the entire industry...
    I understand that one. The obsession with high school girls is disturbing. I used to like anime in the late '90s as an interesting look at a different culture, but it seems that Japanese culture is youth obsessed.

I was looking through my emulator at Genesis titles, and then I started looking through the Playstation games. I fired one up, it turns out to be a Japanese release of the EA game Future Cop: L.A.P.D. and I watched the cinemas. The dispatcher woman that narrates everything is shown in the cutscenes but she was redone for the Japanese version - in that one she's blonde with typical anime hair and big eyes. It's bizarre. Like they can't handle artistically accurate artwork of a woman, she's got to have gigantic eyes and gravity defying hair (that are colors not found in nature).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Well I don't like old style RPGs if we're talking something cruder than like Final Fantasy 4J would be viewed today in its original format or even it's precursors on the NES/Famicom. I don't like having big open areas with a total lack of a sense of direction, but worse yet are those should have been left on pen and paper types where you need to basically graph out where you're walking so you don't just up just going in circles until you expire. I don't need an in game map persay, but when it starts getting bloated and slow enough to get confusing and tiring I rarely could put up with it 20 years ago and I have no tolerance for it at all now. The last one I tried that with was Arcana (SNES) earlier this yera and only took down around a 1/3 of the game before I got fed up with it, and it even has an in game pen and paper grid map it drew for you.

If there are some fairly crusty RPGs on this system, warn me if they're on the list as I want nothing to do with it. Diablo types I can dael with, but pen and paper or just large and confusing dungeon stuff I can not.
    Yeah, RPGs are just not for you, I'm guessing.
    But I can't recall very many NES or SNES RPGs with dungeons I would say are "too" complex. Yeah, they're pretty open, but they usually have a few very distinct brances. It's usually simple enough to remember without a map. It just might take a few tries through a dungeon to find the "right" way.

But it's better than like Final Fantasy X. I don't know why I play that. I guess I sort of like the story and characters, and the battle system is nice in that tries to use all characters, until it wears out its welcome. But honestly it's clear at that point that Square-Enix had reached the point they put so much effort into graphics and CG that it became impossible to make complex dungeons. Much of it is just a simple straight line with a couple tiny alcoves for "exploration". What a fucking joke. And I haven't played it but I hear FF13's maps are even MORE dumbed down. No wonder they said they "couldn't" make an FF7 remake by their modern standards. To redraw ALL of that in their super-high ultra-def standards would take forever.
    I hadn't played the Omega Ruins extra dungeon in FFX because I wasn't leveled enough to reasonably fight the enemies there but at least it looked like an actual dungeon.
    But I hear the super-ultimate optional boss, if you are equipped properly and know the strats it's still like half an hour. HALF AN HOUR for a single boss fight? Is that supposed to be fun? I hear people on ROM hacking forums asking to give the FF4 and FF6 bosses up to 16 million HP over the current limit of 64k. And again I ask why, to drag it out excessively long?
    S-E CHEAP CASH-IN RANT TIME
    And I haven't played the 16-bit mobile ports but I hear they're all atrocities. I remember there was one game that seriously looked like RPG Maker XP. I mean SHIT S-E for being such a graphics ***** company you gotta make something that looks like it was made by a tool for AMATEUR game designers, not even AT LEAST reuse your OWN vintage graphics (which would be FAR more respectable)? And then All The Bravest, never will play but it seems pretty obvious nothing more than an effort to blatantly gouge nostalgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't hate em all. I want one at this point in time that's like 20 hours short maybe upwards of 30 it it really gets to me. Currently I have stuff like NES FF1+DW4, SNES FF2+3+CT+MarioRPG, 3DS has Xenoblade+Tales of the Abyss, N64 I have Quest, GC has Tales of Symphonia, GBA has the FF games and a few others. I fairly recently got rid of quite a few because of some crusty mechanics like Skies of Arcadia for one.

I just don't dig stuff that's too open, too slow, needs to probably be drawn out not to get lost, advanced d&d 8bit/16bit style rpg console games. I've got FF13 parts1 and 2 on my PC they're nice, but got long enough (pt2) I just stopped playing for no reason at all months ago and I can't figure why as it was decent. My mind just wanders as they get longer and more bloated or they're too archaic. I like RPGs, but I need to really look into anything the Genesis has and see if I could fairly well stick to it. I'm RPG picky, more so now with the kid since it's a time problem on top. I don't mind the linear RPG style Square had gone towards lately with theirs due to the overly bloated budgets and graphical engines, it helps me stay more focused and the story writing kept me caring about it because I wasn't pissing 5hours each town grinding for crap to do it again.

I can't wait to get the stuff I mentioned last night. I also know Sega-16 has an insane database of all things sega with respect to game reviews so I'm going to have to thumb through it and weed out or add things on my list. Also there's no saying that if i found a $5 or less Genesis game at a flea market or local shop I wouldn't play the old Nintendo of the 90s/00s bravery game of the shot in the dark as you may just find a gem you never heard of which is a fun aspect of the hunt.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega-16 isn't the place to go for reviews. They're fanboys with no objectivity. They gave Super Thunderblade a 10/10 which says it all right there. That dude from gamesack is a mod there, and quite the prick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I don't follow gamer politics as they're disgusting and childish which is why the gamer media on the whole is untrustworthy. If you know a place with most the US Gen library reviewed which some objectivity then share a link. I don't see how thunderblade would deserve a 10 either as I remember some form of it from the arcade years back and it was average at best.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Sega-16 isn't the place to go for reviews. They're fanboys with no objectivity. They gave Super Thunderblade a 10/10 which says it all right there.
    That's from the very early days of the site, and everyone there knows it's a stupid review. "They" didn't give the game a review, one particular guy did, back when review standards were lax.

In fact there was literally just a thread where people were asking the review to be pulled --

Perhaps we should re-evaluate some reviews, delete, and start over.

-- but the site owner has a policy of not pulling existing reviews because, in his opinion, it'd open up too big a can of worms with everyone demanding that their favorite or most hated game be re-rated.

There is no "they". Every review at Sega-16 is the product of whoever wrote it, not of some site-wide hive mind. Some are great, some are terrible. Most are somewhere in between.

That dude from gamesack is a mod there, and quite the prick.
    For all intents and purposes, he's not a mod anymore, since he's sworn the site off completely (and pretty much gave a big old middle finger to the place on his way out). I like his work on Game Sack, but it certainly doesn't take much to piss him off.
    Last edited by goldenband; 11-05-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey I understand they have a helpful enough forum to use if you're part of the club, like invite only I think it is right? I'd like a piece of that action since it should keep the trolls out. If that's their stance on thunderforce's awful biased review I can actually respect that for the most part. If you start picking and choosing what to kill due to early fanboyism because they took it less serious early on I can respect it because it would open the door for endless bitching about so called biased reviews and cause them hell for it given their size and age now.

I still think it couldn't hurt to put date and administrators prefix or addendum down by the score noting it's an early review and may be unfairly balanced with more opinion than fact to cover themselves from not looking credible in that respect but it also is a damned if you do or don't situation it appears.

Anyway still curious what a good site would be as to not just trust one.

ALSO...I had some very ghetto like 2 dollar profit (after ebay and paypal cuts) games (gb/gbc/gba) titles I ditched at the local ma and pa shop earlier -- why? I found they had a nice copy of Elemental Master on the shelf, ended up scoring it for $18 with the credit I got. I read up on it with hardcoregaming101's evaluation of the title and it looks uniquely fun and a bit on the challenging side perhaps, but I like the fantasy element and the details they spoke of. I got 2 cherished games today between that and mega man x w/manual showing up in my box too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those reviews are screened and heavily edited by the owner himself. It never should've been posted in the first place. Doesn't change the fact they're written by fanboys of the forum.

That's funny about gamesack guy, gotta link? Sounds like a good read. I've thumbed through the forum a few times and would always see him arguing and threatening to ban members for disagreeing or criticizing his dull show. And they still kissed his ass like it was going out of style.

The Videogamecritic has a decent catalog of Sega reviews. He's pretty unbiased. They're not too in-depth, usually just a paragraph or two. But he does have some sort of weird fetish for games with pirates in them and snow/ice levels.