Thread: This ambitious live action Metroid fan film is worth watching [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow This ambitious live action Metroid fan film is worth watching [Eurogamer.net]

Metroid has been re-imagined as a '70s sci-fi epic in an impressive new fan film, titled Metroid: The Sky Calls.
    The 11-minute movie stars gaming presenter Jessica Chobot as Samus Aran and was directed by Sam Balcomb.
    The Sky Calls is the brainchild of Rainfall Films, a three-man US production company founded by Balcomb.
    Read more…
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This right here, this nice little pet project if anything makes one thing very clear to me -- if there ever was a time Nintendo needed to back a movie and extract it's head from it's ass to even consider it -- this is it. Sure Mario and Zelda are larger franchises, but they're also very well muddied and overly fan divined franchises too and two of a sort that wouldn't play well to the movies at all. Metroid though, especially shot at with a style like Prometheus and the older Alien type films from Ridley Scott -- that could make tens of millions or more with a strongly compelling story as a summer sci-fi blockbuster and it would work. Nintendo fans would goo over it, and scifi people would get caught up in it as well easily enough. I think it could rate along side the very select small few game based movies that did remarkably well with large budgets and larger profits like the Tomb Raider duo or even the surprising well laid profit the original MK movie did too.

The acting is solid, the set pieces are amazing in this and the sound work really adds atmosphere. Shame it's only a little over 10min long. This thing begs for more pieces to be made as it's a mean tease where it stops and it's like reading 2 chapters and having the book stolen as it's a real cliff hanger on what happens next.