Thread: Sega Saturn memory carts: bypass security "ring" to boot a damaged disc?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn memory carts: bypass security "ring" to boot a damaged disc?

I have a copy of Burning Rangers that was run through a resurfacer many years ago and never booted properly afterwards. Will any of the game shark/4-in-1s boot past this security program to allow the game to run? The disc has no other damage and will even run on a PC Saturn emulator. I would hate to give up on it and just turn it into a CD clock!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I'd imagine so because I think that's how they are designed any way. cant hurt to have one by any means because they also work as a ram cart making some games a bit better

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2nd EDIT: I got the 4-in-1 cart and I can start collecting imports if I want to later. But that did not fix the original problem.

After messing around with it last night, it will boot properly 50% of the time but only on Saturns with circle buttons (instead of the earlier oval units). I guess one of the many rounds of polishing/resurfacing fixed the security ring enough for the laser to read it properly. It plays perfectly when it boots for hours. This is my second copy of the game, I replaced it years ago. It may only be worth something to me, but what a story. Do I want to send it through more resurface and polishing treatments or just keep it as is? For the first time in a decade I can play this copy so I am tempted just to leave it even though it would not have much resale value. Thoughts???
    Last edited by ifkz; 11-10-2015 at 10:57 AM.