Thread: pkrah's System Dust Covers (Dreamcast, VMU, SNES, N64, Atari 7800, 5200, ColecoVision)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Smile pkrah's System Dust Covers (Dreamcast, VMU, SNES, N64, Atari 7800, 5200, ColecoVision)

Found this via the Dreamcast Junkyard: a bunch of system-themed dust covers by "pkrah" for a lot of different consoles... including pull-string bags for Dreamcast VMU's!

A sample of the Dreamcast console covers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pkrah's Dreamcast Dust Covers.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	8357

They run $20 - $23 depending on the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's neat and all, but what if I have it hooked up with cables and stuff, am I supposed to cut a slit in the back/front of the cover for those things to protrude?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if you looked at it before posting, you'd notice that there's more than one picture, and it does show a very nice rectangular reinforced stitched edge cut in the back for cabling. The only 'inconvenience' would be none in the front if you are one who just leaves them plugged in.

Back when I was a kid my grandma who passed about a week and a half ago she made me a NES cover for the old style system out of blue jeans material and it like a good pair of jeans lasted for like 20 years and kept my system nice and dust free. They're handy if you don't want to feel the need to unscrew or blow out and clean the things to keep the chips, pins and vents clean. $20 isn't bad, probably cost her that much in material and time in the day. She eventually made one for my SNES too that lasted about as long as well and it really was worth having.

I'm surprised, nothing for the NES1 or 2, yet there's a N64 cover.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm surprised, nothing for the NES1 or 2, yet there's a N64 cover.
    There is another option for your NES. I bought a dust cover for my Genny and my Vic-20 from her. The quality is absolutely fantastic and she has super fast shipping. Can't praise this lady enough.

http://stores.ebay.com/papa-nannysfu..._pgn=1&_ipg=48

I still have the original brown dust cover for my C64 and their is virtually no difference between the original C64 dust covers and the dust covers I bought from her on Ebay.
    Last edited by wizardofwor1975; 11-03-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah I was thinking it was, then I saw it, pleather. They look nice, and really the same price too. So it kind of falls into car seat preferences here -- do you go with cloth or (p)leather? Shame, no top loader style. I keep mine put up mostly same with the SNES due to the retron5, but I'm under no delusion that it will last 5 years let alone 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well if you looked at it before posting, you'd notice that there's more than one picture, and it does show a very nice rectangular reinforced stitched edge cut in the back for cabling. The only 'inconvenience' would be none in the front if you are one who just leaves them plugged in.
    Totally missed that, even though I looked at the pics So basically, it is made so that you slip it off and it hangs there, trapped around the power cable.

I wish the Genesis/32x combo had something like that, dust settles everywhere on that thing. Too many configurations for that though, especially including a Sega CD 1 or 2.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 11-03-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Probably why they went with the cloth, same reason my grandma used jeans material. Hers though was a bit more interesting. She opened up the front for the NES and had a pair of flaps, one so the full front was exposed and another that folded back enough for the top that popped. The SNES one was basically the same, just a good bit bigger flap considering where the cart slot was, but beyond that point was cut and stitched to fit the back well. These things though, as you said, kind of just flops back there around the cords. It's less work for an uglier solution that only looks bad when in use and fine with the game/controller(s) removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah I was thinking it was, then I saw it, pleather. They look nice, and really the same price too. So it kind of falls into car seat preferences here -- do you go with cloth or (p)leather? Shame, no top loader style. I keep mine put up mostly same with the SNES due to the retron5, but I'm under no delusion that it will last 5 years let alone 20.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all that if you contacted her thru Ebay she'd probably custom make you a cover for your NES top loader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't doubt it one bit, just not sure I'd really want to at this point since the Retron 5 is what's out and it's put away in my old wood cabinet sealed away. I am starting to drift back towards using the legit hardware though in some cases such as the Genesis I picked up.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Back when I was a kid my grandma who passed about a week and a half ago she made me a NES cover for the old style system out of blue jeans material and it like a good pair of jeans lasted for like 20 years and kept my system nice and dust free.
    I'm sorry about your loss. As a gamer I couldn't help thinking of what a cool thing that is to have. My mother-in-law passed a few years ago. We were really close and it was always special to me when she would get me gaming stuff. She gave me my first GBA (an onyx SP) for example. I want to change the shell because it's really scuffed up, but I'll still keep it.

I guess I went off topic, but I just thought that it was awesome that your grandmother made you a console dust cover 20 years ago!
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 11-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'm sorry about your loss. As a gamer I couldn't help thinking of what a cool think that is to have. My mother-in-law passed a few years ago. We were really close and it was always special to me when she would get me gaming stuff. She gave me my first GBA (an onyx SP) for example. I want to change the shell because it's really scuffed up, but I'll still keep it.

I guess I went off topic, but I just thought that it was awesome that your grandmother made you a console dust cover 20 years ago!
    Me too Tanooki. Sorry about your grandma.