Thread: Marble Madness Missing Levels in Handheld Ports

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Marble Madness Missing Levels in Handheld Ports

Does it seem like most of the handheld ports of Marble Madness are always missing a level or two or three?

The original Game Boy version (Mindscape, 1991) eliminates only the Ultimate Race, restarting from the Beginner Race.

The Game Boy Color version (Midway Games, 1999) also eliminated the Aerial and Silly Races.

Even the Game Boy Advance version (DSI Games, 2005) eliminates the Aerial, Silly and Ultimate Races - but that is to make room for Klax.

The handheld market, to me it seems, never has a full version of Marble Madness with all six levels. What do you think?

~Ben

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think it's a damn shame and a travesty, myself! I have no idea what motivated all those cuts, but they ruin ports that were already compromised in other ways (or at least the Game Boy version, which has horrendous physics).

The Game Gear version is complete, though, isn't it? Too bad the SMS/GG version has terrible physics too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I think it's a damn shame and a travesty, myself! I have no idea what motivated all those cuts, but they ruin ports that were already compromised in other ways (or at least the Game Boy version, which has horrendous physics).

The Game Gear version is complete, though, isn't it? Too bad the SMS/GG version has terrible physics too.
    Yes, it is.

I wonder why Tengen licensed the Genesis port to Electronic Arts (who was the publisher for the computer ports)?

~Ben

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I wonder why Tengen licensed the Genesis port to Electronic Arts (who was the publisher for the computer ports)?
    Dunno, but Tengen's Mega Drive port -- released only in Japan -- is light-years better, and about as close to arcade-perfect as I can imagine. It's an exquisitely well-done port.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Marble Madness Missing Levels in Handheld Ports

I have the sharp x680000 version and it's 100% arcade perfect. You can use the mouse too, so short of having a cab in your house, it's the best port I've played.

I remember the Apple iic Version being really good too. Low frame rate, but it played well, and had cool music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I have the sharp x680000 version and it's 100% arcade perfect. You can use the mouse too, so short of having a cab in your house, it's the best port I've played.

I remember the Apple iic Version being really good too. Low frame rate, but it played well, and had cool music.
    The PS1 version is pretty damn good with this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Track-Ball/dp/B00001ZWWX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    The PS1 version is pretty damn good with this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Track-Ball/dp/B00001ZWWX
    Holy shit. I didn't even know that existed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    The Game Boy Color version (Midway Games, 1999) also eliminated the Aerial and Silly Races.
    Hmmm, I just fired up the GBC ROM on my EverDrive-GB, and it has all six races.

...unfortunately, it's also a horrendous port with horrific controls, slowdown, incorrect music, glitchy collision detection, and all kinds of inaccurate porting issues, including a completely screwed-up end to the Ultimate race. It's also ferociously and unfairly difficult: I got to the Silly race on my own, but to complete the game I needed an infinite time cheat code.

It's beyond redemption, as a port or as a game in its own right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can agree with that, made the accident of buying that one locally for a couple dollars over 6 months ago and it was jacked. I'm not great by any means at the game, but I can handle enough of the screens to know when I was getting short changed on the clock and having dodgy controls. I know it's a d-pad but you can correct for it some. You did forget to mention the one port which behaves nothing like the original really yet is oddly a decent game on its own, the Tiger handheld version with the unique thumb circle rocker button thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I used to have that tiger LCD one. Looked amazing at the store. I liked it at the time but it probably hasn't aged well. Not unlike every tiger hand held game ever.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Dunno, but Tengen's Mega Drive port -- released only in Japan -- is light-years better, and about as close to arcade-perfect as I can imagine. It's an exquisitely well-done port.
    That one supports the Mega Mouse, doesn't it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    That one supports the Mega Mouse, doesn't it?
    I think so, but my impression (based on comments from people who have tried it) is that it's not worth it and gamepad control is preferable. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I used to have that tiger LCD one. Looked amazing at the store. I liked it at the time but it probably hasn't aged well. Not unlike every tiger hand held game ever.
    Well it just follows its own rules, it's more of like that wooden box w/marble game of Labyrinth more than marble madness. You just kind of get a random screen and move the dot from start to end but lacks anything else. I got it at a game show this last March and got bored of it pretty fast and sold it thankfully breaking even.

A lot of those Tiger games the problem wasn't they didn't age well, they weren't that accurate or good in the first place as they were budget things. As it is though, those who were made uniquely on a franchise or something that stood out on its own with solid design is still fairly fun today. Sub War is one of the best blind sub hunting games I've played as you have to ping radar to find stuff, but it also allows them to shoot at you so it's fast and keeps you worried. Then you have some of those NES conversions which took some to total liberty like Castlevania, Karnov and Ninja Gaiden and they're actually pretty decent, even the Sega carry over of Afterburner is alright for point racking. Oddly one I used to have I wish hadn't died was Virtua Cop as it used little IR lights like a crude Wii and it was fun popping off bad guy sand reloading and it worked pretty decently.