Thread: Which version of MAME do you use ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which version of MAME do you use ?

Hi,

All is in the title, which version of MAME do you use ?
    The lastest version (0.167) ? Or an older version ?

Why do you prefer the version you use and not another version ?

Do this version save hiscore ? If you use 0.167 how do you save hiscore ?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I actually don't use MAME, the installation for the Mac is a bit of a nightmare. I have a program called OpenEmu on my Macbook Air - there's two versions available, the standard one with a bunch of solidly emulated game consoles, and then a slightly less stable "experimental" version with a massive amount of "work in progress" emulation cores that also cover arcade machines. It uses MAME 0.149 ROMs. Since I installed it and downloaded the 46GB ROM collection off archive.org, I've been sifting through the 28,000 ROM files looking for classics, oddball stuff I remember playing and nobody else cares about, and generally anything playable with my trusty Logitech controller. OpenEmu has some problems, though. Since the arcade section is a beta build, there's a lot of ways the emulation could be improved. For example, there's no way yet to tailor individual arcade games button/controller layouts. It isn't set up for things like dual stick shooters, that kind of thing. Games with specialized controllers can't be played properly, like Ikari Warriors (although turns out there's a hack out there to use a joystick rather than a rotorcontroller).

I'm really happy with OpenEmu, it basically keeps all my emulation stuff in one place in an iTunes-style program. I put up with its quirks because I can finally play systems that never had Mac OS X emulators before, like the Atari 7800. And I keep it on my laptop so I can throw it into a bag with my controllers and take it anywhere, which is great. I used to know a guy who had hooked up a Commodore 64 and an old TV set in his car back in the '80s so he could play games on the go, I'd love to go back in time to show him how far things have come since then.