Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the best way to enjoy a vita?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Same here. I will say that the RPGs are the exception, where on past consoles like the SNES and PSX, even some of the worst games on the systems are better than most RPGs released around this time, but the bad retail games that release now days are amazing compared to some of the trash we got back then. For NES, I was lucky in the games I asked my parents to get me when I was a kid, but there've been some bad ones I've chosen, like Ironsword and Deadly Towers. These two weren't broken, they just sucked.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

So stuff you should get as PSVita owner.

If you can get at least 32gb card or 64gb from ebay.

If you go with original psvita you can get a nyko grip that has built in battery whoch extends battery life of psvita by twice as much and super super comfortable to play and use for long period of time.

Now game wise it depends on type game you want my personal recommandation are...

Soul Scrafice Delta (digital only)
    Gravity Rush
    Tearaway

Disgaea 3 and 4

Suikoden 2 (psone digital)

Persona 4

That just some awesome games on the system

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Im 36 and I have to disagree, people remember the snes with rose colored glasses, it had gems.like zelda and metroid, but most games.were.complete garbage, i rented 3 games a week back then and many times I wouldnt play them for more than 10 minutes. We still get bad games now, but they are not as bad usually as stuff thq or ljn put out
    Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I'm 36 and I feel the same about alot of the NES stuff. Alot of hot garbage on that system. And we didn't have internet gaming sites to let us know what was actually good. Just the screenshots on the back of the box, magazines, and word of mouth.

Won't even mention all the trash on the 2600. Playable for about 2 minutes a piece just going for hi-scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Same here. I will say that the RPGs are the exception, where on past consoles like the SNES and PSX, even some of the worst games on the systems are better than most RPGs released around this time, but the bad retail games that release now days are amazing compared to some of the trash we got back then. For NES, I was lucky in the games I asked my parents to get me when I was a kid, but there've been some bad ones I've chosen, like Ironsword and Deadly Towers. These two weren't broken, they just sucked.
    Been awhile since I've checked out the thread, I probably should have replied sooner. I agree that most games on the NES and SNES are garbage, but there were still enough good games on those systems to justify owning the consoles. With most modern systems, there's no games at all that interest me. Most recently I almost traded for a PS3 console, so I looked into the supposed best games available on it. The best game that appealed to me was that Sega Genesis compilation. I couldn't find another game I actually felt like playing on it or the 360. With a lot of games they're good enough to watch a playthrough on youtube, but I don't feel a need to play those games myself. With older games, seeing a video often makes me want to play it, at least once to try it out. Seeing someone play Tetris isn't the same as playing Tetris yourself. Plus a lot of those older games are just meant to be played briefly for a few minutes at a time, not hours on end. Not having to dedicate a large chunk of time to games is a big plus. For more deep experiences, there still are plenty of great long single player games on those old consoles. Plenty of older PC games too.

More specifically with the Vita, I can't think of a single game that's an exclusive to it and not a mere port or remake. I have no interest in modern RPGs which is what mostly seems to be available for the Vita, with all the same anime drawn characters on the box. I'll include anything featuring modern anime style characters(as most modern anime sucks too), including the Akiba's Trip/Akiba Strip pervert game aimed at the people who want to masturbate while taking the bus or subway. For me the Vita is a faithful sequel to the original PSP as that had nothing worth playing either, besides the ports of the Castlevania games. I'm only letting that one slide because one of those games hasn't been released in English previously.

With the 3DS, there's possibly some games on it I might want to play at some point. Nothing I'm really desperate to though. The original DS had plenty of great games that grabbed my interest, with the 3DS it's mostly the slightly less good sequels to those DS games that I'm mostly interested in. I'll probably still get one of these eventually, once the consoles become less than $10. Plus I'll wait to get one of those new versions that are actually compatible with all games. As long as I won't need to update the system or patch any of the games or play online, it'll be fine.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You must have extremely specific tastes if you think the PSP has nothing worth playing. It's got excellent games in just about every genre the NES and SNES are lauded for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I actually own a PSP, I bought it a few years ago and so far played less than an hour total on it really just trying it out to make sure it's working. It's stored in some box somewhere. I'm willing to consider games if they can stick to the list below.

-No ports or remakes of other games
    -No RPGs or strategy games
    -No sports games
    -No rhythm games that use DDR or Guitar Hero type of controls
    -No one on one fighters, I'm not that into the genre so playing Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat every few years is enough for me
    -No games that may have come out first on the PSP but have later been ported elsewhere(as I'd rather play it elsewhere)
    -No games that are available multiplatform, if it's also available on another system that's what I would consider instead
    -Nothing that's centred around multiplayer
    -No digital downloads, only physical retail releases would be acceptable to me
    -No import only titles

I await some suggestions, keeping in mind just being the types of games I'm into isn't enough as the games still have to be good and not mediocre. Other games I do sometimes play like car racing games or puzzle games, but really as I own plenty of these on other systems already I tend to pass most of these over on newer systems. What mostly drew me to the DS were all the adventure games, visual novels, and general 2D games which appear to be absent from the PSP. 3D platformers and 3D shooters are mostly what I'll pass over too, really tempted to add these to the list above.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Prinny, Prinny 2, and Hammerin' Hero are good 2D action games I believe are exclusives. Kenka Bancho is an interesting 3D adventure with some Yakuza-like elements, but simpler. Loco Roco 1 and 2 are pretty unique action puzzle games that remind me of On the Ball/Cameltry. Its version of Little Big Planet is unique. I also had fun with Jikandia: The Timeless Land and Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts. Those all fit your criteria, so it's just a matter of whether or not they suit your tastes.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, that pretty much confirms my assessment that you must have extremely specific wants. Frankly, the combinations don't make much sense to me. You rule out imports, while also ruling out ports and remakes, but (not even taking into account that the PSP is region-free, easy to import for, and you can find plenty of English-friendly imports that would satisfy your list otherwise) the PSP has plenty of games that were only released in the US on PSP, even if they're ports or remakes of older Japan-exclusive games (and I'd say this holds true even more so for DS, so I guess you'd eliminate a huge swath of DS titles). You rule out games that are multiplatform, while also ruling out digital-only releases, but there are games where the ONLY US-released physical release is on PSP (Gurumin would satisfy your list, if not for being available digitally for PC).

Considering you rule out or would largely pass on nearly a dozen different genres and add on half a dozen stipulations on top of that, yeah, it's hard to come up with recommendations, and I'm not really interested in busting my butt to do so in some attempt to prove that the PSP is worthwhile to someone who has already made up their mind. It would be hard for practically any system from the 32/64-bit generation forward. I'm not really sure what you're playing on the classic 2D systems either, for that matter, unless it's nothing but like platformers, shmups, and point-and-clicks. Good luck finding US-released visual novels on those retro systems. The irony here is that the PSP and the Vita are basically the best systems (outside of PC) to own if somebody wants localized visual novels. I know it's my primary reason for owning a Vita, with games like Danganronpa 1 and 2, Virtue's Last Reward and the upcoming Zero Escape 3, Amnesia: Memories, Code: Realize, Norn9, the upcoming Muv-Luv trilogy, etc. My favorite PSP games are visual novels too (Sweet Fuse is my favorite US release).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I actually own a PSP, I bought it a few years ago and so far played less than an hour total on it really just trying it out to make sure it's working. It's stored in some box somewhere. I'm willing to consider games if they can stick to the list below.

-No ports or remakes of other games
    -No RPGs or strategy games
    -No sports games
    -No rhythm games that use DDR or Guitar Hero type of controls
    -No one on one fighters, I'm not that into the genre so playing Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat every few years is enough for me
    -No games that may have come out first on the PSP but have later been ported elsewhere(as I'd rather play it elsewhere)
    -No games that are available multiplatform, if it's also available on another system that's what I would consider instead
    -Nothing that's centred around multiplayer
    -No digital downloads, only physical retail releases would be acceptable to me
    -No import only titles
    Goddamn, talk about picky. Thought I was bad. Maybe pick a game that looks interesting and sit down and play it, instead of categorizing it?

Ports and remakes are going to happen and has been going on for years. On every console ever in existence. Don't want to play ports/remakes on psp/vita, but would play a port/remake of a psp game on another system? Digital downloads are happening, and oftentimes it's the only way to play a particularly superb game.

There's 2 excellent God of War games on psp. Daxter is a well-made little platformer. 2 Syphon Filter games that are pretty good. A Jak n Daxter original game that's pretty good. A Rachet n Clank original game. Motorstorm: Arctic Edge and Ridge Racer are fun racers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You're missing out on games that haven't came to the west and the best versions of games if you discount some ports and remakes.

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles is a remake of Castlevania Rondo of Blood, includes Rondo and SotN with new voice acting. Dracula X Chronicles remains faithful while fixing issues in some of Rondo of Blood's level designs. It also fixed balancing issues, making certain parts that were too easy harder and making parts that were too hard easier. You can still play the original garbage stage 5' stage in the original Rondo of Blood, but on the remake, they created a great brand new stage for the game. Maria is also a playable character on SotN, not Ninja Mega Man Maria from Nocturne in the Moonlight, but Maria that actually plays like Maria. Literally amazing package of games and the remake is the best version by far.

Like Aussie2B wrote, Gurumin came out on PC prior to the PC, but it was a Japanese exclusive and the first time the game released in the west. The game is a great 3D platformer. It was just recently released in the US to Steam though.

Your list also includes no RPGs, but if the game wasn't remade, we wouldn't be able to experience Star Ocean First Departure which took the SNES game and remade it into how Star Ocean the Second Story is designed. Just pointing out flaws within your logic. Star Ocean First Departure shares the same story, same abilities and similar skills, but other than that it's like night and day.

Also like Aussie2B stated, you're discounting the many English friendly imports. Let's just say you're a fan of Gundam, maybe you're not, but just an example. The Gundam Battle series is English friendly. You go through the entire Gundam Universal Century as a pilot of your own creation through every major mission talked about within the franchise. Universe includes includes the beginning of 0079 all the way to Char's Counterattack. Over 200 missions between all sides of the war, Federation, Zeon, Axis, and Titans with over 200 mobile suits. In the missions there's dialogue, but if you know the Gundam franchise then you know what's happening, so that would be the only downside, but maybe watch the anime while going through the game?

But additionally, like was already said, your tastes are extremely specific. With the PSP being so heavy with great RPGs and great strategy games, there's little that I could actually recommend you without wracking my brain. Like if I was to recommend a puzzle game called What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord 2(which includes the first game if you use a password,) you might like that, but then nevermind, because it's also sort of a strategy game as well. I could recommend Dissidia Final Fantasy, but that would technically be both in the RPG genre and the one on one fighting game genre despite not being a traditional fighter in any sense of the word. I could recommend Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars, but even though it has much much much much better graphics, it's a remake of the DS version of the game. I could recommend Half Minute Hero, but despite that it's a puzzle game cleverly designed as being being an RPG, it's just that, a puzzle game that's cleverly designed around an RPG(also has a digital port to the 360 and PC.) Test Drive Unl... no that's on 360 and PC, Space Invaders Ext... no that's on DS, God of War Chains of... no, ported to PS3, Son of.... ported to PS3, Wipeout Pulse... digital on PS3 as Wipeout HD, Wipeout Pure... digital on PS3 as Wipeout HD Fury, the Ys se... action "RPG" and now on Steam.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Hmm gundam battle on vita. Any reason it wouldn't work on a pstv?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Only if Sony decided to black list it, unless it has some quirky touch or camera thing to it (which I doubt.) Isn't there a list of stuff out there that's up to date on this stuff?

I still can't commit to PSTV given you have to hack it to get proper functionality which stinks. Given the state of gaming going into 2016 though I really can't rule out finding or saving up for a Vita again, even the off the shelf used/new stuff isn't expensive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the 2 lists at thevitalounge. They keep the lists up to date, for the most part.

http://thevitalounge.net/released-pl...on-vita-games/

http://thevitalounge.net/forum/threa...ity-list.2466/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Prinny, Prinny 2, and Hammerin' Hero are good 2D action games I believe are exclusives.
    So far the Prinny games and Hammerin Hero are looking to be the best available, when I searched for 2D games on the PSP previously those were basically all the games I could find. Hammerin Hero sadly uses 3D characters rather than better looking 2D sprites, but I'm more than willing to overlook unappealing graphics for good gameplay. Of course from what I've seen when looking at videos, it seems to play pretty slowly so I don't think it's a great game. The two Prinny games have good graphics and look like they play fine, I've just never considered them games to buy a system specifically to play.

Also I did try the Loco Roco games at store kiosks, never could get into those ones.

I always thought that Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts was a remake, is it a different game instead? It came out around the same time as the GBA version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It would be hard for practically any system from the 32/64-bit generation forward.
    Like I said earlier;
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm 28 and feel the same way so I don't think we're getting old, modern game stuff is just forgettable trash like most modern movies.
    I'd like to make something else clear. As a whole I don't usually have a problem with remakes or compilations or ports in general, these are just more secondary games to me. Meaning they're the games I would seek out if I'm already attached to a system and want to find every decent game available on it. I wouldn't buy a system just to play ports or remakes of games I already own. I wouldn't buy a GBA just to play A Link to the Past and I wouldn't buy a DS just to play Chrono Trigger. But as I already own those systems I'll gladly pick up those games too. With RPGs or strategy games I do occasionally play them, but I still rarely play them as I don't spend a lot of time on them. If I just had a PSP for those games they would sit on a shelf for years practically untouched, if I have spare time I'd rather just play older ones on the SNES or Genesis that I haven't finished, for strategy Shining Force 1 and 2 are hard to beat. Plus other genres like racing, sports, or one on one fighting, I do still have plenty of them on other systems but I wouldn't own a system just to play those games. I wouldn't buy an NES console just to play Rad Racer or Ice Hockey, but as I already own one for other games I'll gladly get them to play too. When I'm not big on certain genres I'm not going to just buy every game in those genres that's decent, I'd only buy the best ones. What I want for the PSP are games that make me want to buy a system just to play them, not just games that I'd play if I happened to come across them at some point. I do already own a PSP system, but I constantly think about selling it off.

If the system is import friendly I would consider them too. Usually I try to avoid games that are difficult to obtain locally, if it's a pain to find games I avoid specifically searching for them.

Anyway, the Zero Escape games do look pretty interesting. As they're also out or coming out for the 3DS, that's the platform I would get them on. I want to find the first game on the DS first before I decide to start buying the sequels. More on visual novels, I'm more into the Phoenix Wright or Snatcher/Policenauts types of games, not the romance or dating sims which the majority of the titles you've mentioned are(the majority of visual novels are like this as a whole). Like with everything there's a few exceptions, but for the most part not. I'm also aware of the Danganronpa games but they didn't really appeal to me, at least not enough to actively search them out. If I find anything cheap enough like at a yard sale, maybe I'll try them out.

No worries about Gurumin, watching several videos of gameplay makes me pretty sure I wouldn't be interested in it. Watched the game over half an hour so I think I got what I needed to. Point of interest, there was a mustached character who would constantly ask your character out on a date, refusing to give up when told no. Your character is a small child by the way. So yeah, that was creepy instead of funny.

As for what genres I like, besides platformers, shmups, and point-and-clicks there's beat em ups and survival horror. I'm not a big fan of 3D games but adventure games and survival horror seem to be alright with it, beat em ups not so much. Occasionaly puzzle games but so many are mediocre I tend to avoid a large percentage of them. Try playing Gunpey on the DS, I'd rather go back to Tetris or Dr Mario. I wouldn't mind a good Zelda game or clone but there haven't been many worth playing in years, the best ones are the early ones so I'd rather play them on old consoles.

With download only games, there's no way I would pay for download only titles. If they were free, sure. I don't want to encourage the industry to continue heading towards download only so I don't want to support them with download only games. If Corpse Party had a physical release I'd probably have considered the system as worth owning, at least that's what I thought when it first came out but looking now the game is getting released on the PC in english(assuming it's not already out). There's even a 3DS version out in Japan, if it actually heads to North America I'll be happy, same with the sequels. In any case, it's still a remake of an old PC freeware game that has an english patch available.

That sort of relates to what kupomogli was saying with remakes. Star Ocean never came out officially in North America before so the PSP version is the first official one that people can get. I could get the angle that it's not just a remake in that case which makes it more worthwhile. At the same time it's still possible to play the original version as an import, or as a fan translation. With some games like Rondo of Blood I'll gladly play the import on the original console. Or with something like Policenauts I'll play the fan translation. Usually I'm not like that with games, I usually only want to play official North American versions that are officially in English. With the Phoenix Wright games I'll gladly play the DS versions over the original GBA Japanese only releases. I'll admit that I don't have strict personal rules when it comes to games released like this as I often feel different based on the game involved. I can say that the types of rereleases or remakes I don't normally seek out are like Symphony of the Night which came out on the 360, or those various HD remakes of games that just came out 5-10 years ago. Though I am reminded that Duck Tales got a remake on the PS3, it's not something that would make me buy a console but if I already owned one I would pick up the game. That slipped my mind when I was thinking of good PS3 games, so that's something.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts is entirely new. It's good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Hmm gundam battle on vita. Any reason it wouldn't work on a pstv?
    I was listing PSP games actually.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

From what little I've used my Vita, it seems like something I would have loved 10 years ago when I was a super active RPG player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts is entirely new. It's good.
    I didn't know that it was all new, I'll keep an eye out for it. I was just used to Street Fighter II style naming so I assumed it was just another enhanced port or remake, similar to Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Super Street Fighter II, Hyper Street Fighter II, etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I use the 2 lists at thevitalounge. They keep the lists up to date, for the most part.

http://thevitalounge.net/released-pl...on-vita-games/

http://thevitalounge.net/forum/threa...ity-list.2466/
    finally got a chance to check that out, really not mobile friendly and its not listed as working or not, I may wait and see if a PSTV goes on sale again soon for ~$35 or less new, I think before xmas I saw a few at ~$25 on amazon and I am kinda kicking my self for not getting one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here's a snippet of the PS Vita version of Gundam Breaker 3. What with Gundam Vs Force coming to the US, here's hoping this game is localized for the US. I'll be getting the PS4 version of course, but if the PS4 version is localized the Vita version will most likely atleast get a digital release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufLt3loaVA

Here's an 11 minute promotional video, presumably all the graphics here are the PS4 version and not the Vita version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8X8...c#t=102.191451
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-04-2016 at 06:40 PM.