Thread: Trying to de-solder a game chip from a board (Sega Genesis) and not having luck

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Trying to de-solder a game chip from a board (Sega Genesis) and not having luck

I've been at this for hours trying to get a way down to doing this. A few attempts got a bit further, once I thought I jacked the board so I re-soldered it and the game as is came back to life. The thing is I need this board for another valuable game with a busted PCB if what I was told in the sale was right (probably likely is.)

I've just got a soldering cut, a metal pincer with a spring to shut on it(tiny really), and then a plastic handle with 2 metal points one is a tip and the other is an angle flat head edge. The best I've found so far is heating the solder joints and running the tip along it scraping away at the solder running down the line and it got a lot of it off, but now i"m at a point where the old solder just won't give up and die already and it won't move or does but not off the pin (just around it.)

Where do I got with this? I know from that attempt I mentioned I can do the soldering job, but damned if I'm stuck not able to get the chip off and force will just break it.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-20-2015 at 08:49 AM.