Thread: [11.21.90-11.21.15] Happy 25th Anniversary, Super Famicom/SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default [11.21.90-11.21.15] Happy 25th Anniversary, Super Famicom/SNES

On this day 25 years ago the Super Famicom hit the Japanese market. And of course, Super Mario World (as well as F-Zero). It's crazy huh? 25 years. A quarter of a century! (Of course, the American release celebrates 25 years next August).

In addition, I find it absolutely fascinating that the very next day, November 22, 1990, the Undertaker began his legendary WWF run.

25 years later, to the day tomorrow, November 22, 2015, the Undertaker will wrestle at Survivor Series 2015. Yes, the man is still going even 25 years later as essentially the same character. Talk about longevity. He's the last of the old guard. The last dinosaur. The last samurai. The lone "survivor" (pardon the pun) "if you wheel" (R.I.P Dusty Rhodes). I've always sort of equated the SNES and the Undertaker together ever since I realized they were only one day apart from when they made their debut. Both are mythic giants in their respective industry, and both have a legacy that will last an eternity long after each of us are gone. Also, fun fact: the Undertaker has appeared in more SNES/SFC games than any other character. Even more than Mario himself! So even more reason for the two to be joined at the hip, so to speak. Happy 25th anniversary SFC/SNES and Undertaker. I tip my cap to both of you. Honoring the SNES by playing a few hours later tonight and then watching Undertaker tomorrow night at Survivor Series. 25 years gawd damn are we getting old!

Feel free to share any memories here and, where do you have the SNES ranked on your favorite systems list? What is the system's legacy, in your eyes?

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

For me, the SNES is the runaway number 1 console. The volume of quality, atmospheric games with tight controls coupled with a massive nostalgic streak puts it way out in front.

The first time I played the SNES was New Year's Eve of I believe 1992. My parents were getting together with friends from church to play board games. The hosts had two teenage sons, Matt and Mike, both of whom had plans, but would always let us play their games. It was cool, because Matt, the older brother, always had the Nintendo system, whereas Mike always had something different. Matt had an NES, Mike had a Master System. That year for Christmas, Matt had gotten an SNES, and Mike had gotten a Turbografx, each set up in their own rooms.

We played the Turbografx first (my brother and I), starting with Keith Courage. It was really cool, with graphics way more colorful than any NES games, and the Nova Suit stages were creepy, with all of the weird enemies, skulls, and glowing corpses in the boss areas. We were really into it, and marvelled at the little HuCards, which we mistakenly thought were those new CDs everyone was talking about. He also had Victory Run, Final Lap Twin, and Davis Cup Tennis, and we tried them all... but when Matt left, he said we could play his SNES.

Matt had one game: Super Mario World... but good lord. As colorful as Keith Courage was, Super Mario World was beautiful, and downright cheery compared to those Nova Suit levels... and Mario controlled that much better as well. Then there was Yoshi, who seemed amazing with his eating everything. It was clearly going to be our main event of the evening. We played for a couple of hours while eating snacks, and eventually checked out his saves, only to be awestruck by Star Road's existence.

We went back and forth all night until going home around 4am, and when I closed my burning eyes to go to sleep too excited to acknowledge my headache, Super Mario World dominated my thoughts and dreams.

The next day, I got out my copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 to try and feel some of that magic, but as great as that game is, it wasn't the same. I needed a Super Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh, it seems like we all knew "that one guy" who got all the coolest latest systems and games eh?

There was at least one in every gaming group back in the day!

Good memories, man, and I couldn't concur more. SNES is also #1 for me. I am not a graphics whore, but it's sort of the "perfect" marriage of "good enough" graphics (that still look gorgeous, or at least 'acceptable' today) combined with excellent (in some cases, anyhow) gameplay. The controller also is my favorite. Just a freaking legend of a gaming system. Reliable, timeless and just like you said comes with massive nostalgia (I was basically 8-12 years old during SNES' heyday). I find myself coming back to this system all these years later, and I never grow tired of doing so!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!