Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel bad for some kids getting a PS4 this Christmas...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Do you also buy every game and download every patch and DLC too?
    Here is an issue with the 360 that I think is a major one, a very stupid design flaw that I still don't understand why they haven't updated it. Anything you buy digitally is playable offline as long as you're on the original console you downloaded it to. You can play it on another console if you download it again or physically copy it over as long as you're connected to Xbox Live.

Here's the hitch, DLC for several games require the title update in order for that DLC to be functional, even if playing offline. The Xbox only saves a certain number of updates to your HDD regardless of HDD or update size. I don't know the number offhand, but let's say it's 10. Once you play that 11th game that requires an online update, game update #1 is deleted no matter how big or small it is. To complicate matters worse you can't just download the update then back it up yourself like you could other files, because as far as I can tell (and I might be wrong) all updates aren't necessarily stored in the normal game folder file structure like other DLC is.

Prime example of this in action is with Street Fighter X Tekken. The console I play this on is the same console I purchased the DLC with, so I can use the DLC without having any internet connection. Fired it up one day when my ISP was down and it kept telling me my DLC was corrupt and some other error messages. Come to find out the DLC requires the newest game update which wasn't on my system since I hadn't played the game in several months, and I was unable to use any of the DLC until I was able to get on XBL. This works the same with Mortal Kombat and other games. There's also games like Black Ops that have important offline gameplay functions in these title updates, so one can't say these title updates are just to fix multiplayer or online issues. Having to download the same update files every week or two is extremely annoying and is something that should have been done away with years ago. If MS ever decides to kill update/online support for certain titles (or XBL for the 360 altogether) this type digital content is rendered useless even if you're playing on the original system you bought it on.
    Last edited by Az; 12-16-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Something I should ask again on that subject...

how exactly do 3DS software updates work?
    Like I have a physical copy of Pokemon X. I updated it to the most recent version (1.5, I think). From what I remember reading somewhere, the 1.0 version remains on the card but the 1.5 patch is downloaded to my console. I remember reading the 3DS does some kind of version checking.
    Does that mean if I took my card to another 3DS, I'd be required to update to 1.5 on that console or I wouldn't be able to play?
    (games storing patches independent of the game would explain why even a digital copy needs to be updated. I recall when I bought a digital copy of Y, I still had to immediately download whatever the most recent update was. I think it was 1.2 and then 1.3+ were post-ORAS compatibility updates)

Or maybe the game would nuke the save file if the console doesn't have the most recent update used to play the game? Was that it? (which would still suck as it was a sealed copy of X I bought as a backup, only for me to decide to open it for the Hoopa distribution)

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Backing up your hard drive won't do jack if your system dies and you need a replacement. Modern systems don't let you move stuff between systems very easily, only through approved system transfer bullshit that, oh yeah, means your old system dying renders this process impossible and your hard drive backup useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Reading some of these threads on all these PS4 systems and whatnot is starting to make me think of Amish kids playing with toy blocks. All this technological advancement, is it really necessary or worth it? Then again I'm sure car mechanics who are fond of the simplicity in a 1940s-1960s car are a bit baffled at how a 201x car can be so complicated, and I also think of the Amish enjoying their simplicity.

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pfft is the games industry was Amish they'd still find a way to out date the wood blocks, faceless dolls, and horse buggies somehow. Now made with oak, now white purer in front of god cotton, and even more blacker and weather resistant leather to keep your humble selves dry and clean before the lord. Meh.