Thread: Report: PS4's PS2 emulation won't support discs or PS3 digital purchases [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Report: PS4's PS2 emulation won't support discs or PS3 digital purchases [Eurogamer.net]

PlayStation 2 game emulation is coming to PlayStation 4 - in fact, in the shape of three Star Wars games, it's already here. Its curiously stealthy appearance immediately raised the question of whether the PS4's emulator would allow you to use your own PS2 game discs - and whether purchases of the PS2 Classics range of digital re-releases on PS3 would transfer to the new service.
    According to current reports - based on what appears to be an accidentally posted trailer for PS2 game Dark Cloud running on PS4 - neither discs nor PS2 Classics purchases will be supported.
    As captured by Twitter user BradazKing, a blurb running under the trailer on YouTube, which has now been pulled, included the line "PS2 Classics and PS2-formatted discs are incompatible with the PS4 system."
    Read more…
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems to reinforce the doom saying I've done for years that people like Sony, Nintendo and the rest don't care what the consumer wants when it comes to supporting previous generation games and the jump from platform to platform. If this story isn't proven wrong and Sony block PS2 buys on PS3 from carrying over, and also doesn't allow PS2 physical media to read so they can upsell you on yet another paid for download of the same game yet again because of 1080p and trophies that really makes it clear. I can't say I'm mad about it, I get it, they're in business to make money, but the fact they're not even trying to pull some halfass compromise like Nintendo did with reduced price cost Wii to WiiU virtual console download prices (I think they were like 75% off) is just slimy. You're stuck only getting what they want, on their terms, and for a full payment yet again. MOst people won't put up with it, but those new to the games because they started on PS3 or PS4 won't care so it will off set the older people griping about it so they don't and won't care. Again why I only buy download games when I can keep a backup that'll be supported and carried over through time (ie: GoG.com) otherwise it has to be very cheap (like $5 more or less.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

If they can at least transfer my digital PSOne and PSTwo purchases to PS4, with no additional payment, I am happy. I can undestand physical media, as they want to make money, but they should not force the customer to purchase the same games on the PS4.

Also, make PS3 PSN game downloads to work on the PS4 already.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah exactly the stuff already paid for that's on PSN should transfer otherwise it's basically just double charging someone, kind of stealing as far as I'm concerned if you can't access what you already paid for while they actively charge for it yet again.