Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Atari Flashback 6

Atari Flashback 6 Classic Game Console
    Atari Flashback 6 Deluxe Collectors Edition

Anyone own either one of these? Opinions?

It looks like the only difference between the regular and deluxe editions is the inclusion of paddle controllers. Is that the only addition? If so, the $40 price difference doesn't seem worth it to me.

I already own the Flashback 4, so would a Flashback 6 be a worthwhile additional purchase? I wasn't impressed by the wireless (infrared) controllers that were included with the FB4 - are the ones in the FB6 any better? The ones I have require a really straight line-of-sight for them to work, and it is *really* easy to break the IR communications link by having the fronts of the controllers pointing too high or low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hardware and emulation quality are unchanged. including the poor IR joysticks (Be sure to use your favorite Atari compatible controllers here instead). All that is slightly different here is the game lineup itself. You've lost Battlezone for instance, since it disappeared after the Flashback 4 because Atari foolishly auctioned it off. And you've gained perhaps 15-20 new games since your iteration.

The deluxe edition is the Sam's Club edition, just like the last few iterations of the Atari Flashback line that featured the same extra for the same reailer. They sell it for $40 but are out of stock online. Check your zip code and see what the product status is for the stores in your vicinity, since you may not be too late to buy it locally.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/atari-f...rod19080332.ip

Isn't it funny now that Curt Vendel isn't in charge of these and they're subsequently pretty mediocre from year to year, that our Digital Press troll that was on a crusade against the Atari Flashback 2 in every thread that it ever got mentioned in, never posts in these threads? I don't think anyone had any doubt back then that he had something against Mr. Vendel and would troll at every possible opportunity, but that certainly seals the deal on that.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-07-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Are the wireless controllers any better than the wireless ones you got from Atari way back when that had that huge box to plug into the system and piggy backed the power cord?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've only seen pictures, but since they're radio based, there's a decent chance that they're superior when it comes to communication since minor line of sight issues shouldn't be a problem. And of course they can be used on genuine 2600 hardware.

But the AtGames sticks have the advantage of an identical form factor to a traditional and surely much more comfortable CX-40 and undoubtedly offer far superior battery life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My problem with the Flashbacks are that more than half the games are dead weight titles crammed in to puff up the total amount of games. Is anybody buying one so they can play Human Cannonball or Sky Diver? Anybody shopping at Target jonesing to play Home Run grabbing a Flashback? Atari really needs to ditch the junk games and throw some third-party games on there. I can't imagine any company holding the rights to some old Atari 2600 game company wouldn't want to take a royalty check for something they will never make another dime off of any other way. In fact, those companies should be beating down Atari's door and offering their titles dirt cheap, it's pretty much free money at this point.

I would imagine it's kind of difficult to track down rights holders now. Who has the rights to companies that flared up and fizzled out, like Games by Apollo or VentureVision? At what point do games enter public domain? Maybe Atari can reach out to the fans and crowdsource all the research into what games they can freely use on upcoming Flashback consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Atari Flashback 6 Classic Game Console
    Atari Flashback 6 Deluxe Collectors Edition

Anyone own either one of these? Opinions?

It looks like the only difference between the regular and deluxe editions is the inclusion of paddle controllers. Is that the only addition? If so, the $40 price difference doesn't seem worth it to me.

I already own the Flashback 4, so would a Flashback 6 be a worthwhile additional purchase? I wasn't impressed by the wireless (infrared) controllers that were included with the FB4 - are the ones in the FB6 any better? The ones I have require a really straight line-of-sight for them to work, and it is *really* easy to break the IR communications link by having the fronts of the controllers pointing too high or low.
    I bought the FB6 on black Friday from dollargeneral when they were on sale for $28. I havent had a chance to open and play it yet though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I've only seen pictures, but since they're radio based, there's a decent chance that they're superior when it comes to communication since minor line of sight issues shouldn't be a problem. And of course they can be used on genuine 2600 hardware.

But the AtGames sticks have the advantage of an identical form factor to a traditional and surely much more comfortable CX-40 and undoubtedly offer far superior battery life.
    I have a set that's why I was wondering. I like the idea of the wireless controllers but some times its a pain but if theres missing input and LOS issues with the flash back then maybe I shouldn't get one of these flashback systems and mod a 2600 for the 21st century