Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS4 dominating even with no games ?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

All of this being said, the PC is going through a renaissance as a platform with things like Steam Machines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

For anyone who is complaining about the 8th generation for whatever reason, this is the perfect time to swoop in and play the hundreds upon hundreds of hidden gems on the 7th gen systems and do it all on the cheap. There are dozens of PS3 games that I've got recently and are on my backlog. Stuff that just wasn't on my radar for whatever reason when they first came out. Plus all of the downloadable stuff that keeps getting sales all the time.

When it comes to gaming, it really doesn't matter if a game is brand new or if it's been out twenty years. If its your first play playing it, then the game is new to you.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    For anyone who is complaining about the 8th generation for whatever reason, this is the perfect time to swoop in and play the hundreds upon hundreds of hidden gems on the 7th gen systems and do it all on the cheap. There are dozens of PS3 games that I've got recently and are on my backlog. Stuff that just wasn't on my radar for whatever reason when they first came out. Plus all of the downloadable stuff that keeps getting sales all the time.

When it comes to gaming, it really doesn't matter if a game is brand new or if it's been out twenty years. If its your first play playing it, then the game is new to you.
    I still play my PS3 quite a hit, even though I have a PS4 and high-end gaming PC.

I finally got around to playing Arkham Asylum a few months ago on the PS3.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

But what if you've played them, you know, last gen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    But what if you've played them, you know, last gen.
    It is almost inconceivable that you've played everything worth playing across the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, DS and PSP. That generation lasted far longer than any generation before it and is still not technically over yet with some releases still coming out for PS3, Xbox 360 and even PSP.

Now is the time to comb over the library and play the games you missed. For example if you like FPS games, have you played Singularity? Singularity was utterly killed by Call of Duty in terms of popularity and sales, but I think Singularity is one of the best shooters of the generation as it does so many unique things. Have you played the beautiful and emotional Fragile Dreams for Wii? How abotu the novel Time & Eternity for PS3? or Ninja Blade for the Xbox 360? The point is, there are dozens and dozens of gems that most people missed that are unique and awesome and toally worth playing now if you think there's a 'drought' in worth while brand new games. The PSP is teeming with JRPGs that I still haven't played and want to get to eventually.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is almost inconceivable that you've played everything worth playing across the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, DS and PSP.
    Top 10 lists exist almost perfectly for this reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Because everyone knows each platform only has ten games worth playing, and only the most popular of games are worth playing?

Umm......I really, really reject that notion.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Because everyone knows each platform only has ten games worth playing, and only the most popular of games are worth playing?
    When the point flew over your head, did it make a sound? Seems like it would have been pretty loud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It is almost inconceivable that you've played everything worth playing across the Wii.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Top 10 lists exist almost perfectly for this reason.
    Sounds pretty accurate to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

What're you talking about? The Wii most of all is filled with hidden gems, especially later in its life. I wonder just how many people missed wonderful games like Fragile Dreams, Trauma Team, The Klonoa remake, A Boy and His Blob...even Sin & Punishment Star Successor is a hidden gem on Wii despite how much Nintendo promoted that. There are even hidden gems amongst the casual shovelware. For example, Martian Panic. Despite it's hilariously generic name and Android or iOS-like art, this is a really fantastic light gun shooter that you can pick up for like $2. This is what I'm talking about. There are a lot of games that flew under people's radar and why I so strongly object to some notion that you can solely determine what's worth playing based on a top 10 list. That's a place to start, not a place to finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I could easily fill 5 of those 10 slots just with excellent light-gun style shooters on the Wii. A top 10 list is completely inadequate when it comes to covering the majority of the excellent experiences available on the Wii.

As Satoshi_Matrix said, you can even venture off the beaten path on the Wii beyond the hidden gems that seemingly get mentioned every where, and have a good time. I've never seen Minicopter: Adventure Flight mentioned anywhere for instance, yet I really enjoyed the 12 hours or so that it took to 100% it.

One of the great things about right now for last-gen consoles. You can take a chance on a title that you would've never spent even $20 on in years prior, since you're pretty much just going to be out of the cost of a soda these days for most games if it's a dud. Great for games with a title, description, or even just artwork that catches your eye despite being a completely unknown quantity.

And even if it's the next Minidesktop Racing, it's worth the $2 just to satisfy your curiosity since the risk is so low. At least for me, there's fun in just doing that and it's especially nice when you're rewarded with a good time that few others ever will experience.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-14-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Right, and this holds true for games of the sixth generation as well. I would have never given some PS2 games I have such as Maximo vs the Army of Zin even a second glance when it was $60, but for $1.50 I added it to my collection and I'm glad I did.

This is what I'm talking about. There are a lot of PS3, 360 Wii, PSP and DS games out there that never made any top 10 list yet are still cool little gems worth discovering. If you truly are feeling meh about current games, just go back to just a few years ago and see what you overlooked. You're guaranteed to find something, especially on platforms you didn't pay much attention to. Lots of people missed out on late PSP and DS games after the Vita and 3DS had already launched for example.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I think is going on is people care too much about the reputation of their systems. That matters more than the library these days. The market is ruled by 18-35 year olds buying Call of Duty and Madden titles. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot in terms of consumer relations, so now the PS4 is the better of the two Call of Duty and Madden machines. So many people on the internet think innovative, AAA, quality titles are what sell a system, and that all consumers do proper research. How I wish that was the case.

Look at what the damning 2006 E3 presentation did to PS3 the first few years of its life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Welllllllllll I think the larger problem with the PS3 initial launch was to do with the price. That $599 USD price point was an overestimation of the loyalty PS2 owners had with the brand. Sony's then-CEO Ken Kutaragi's famously went on record expecting people to accept the price and if they couldn't afford it to take two jobs at once. Most people were not willing to do that, and the price was the major barrier to entry for most people until Sony finally began to lower the price. Most people, including me, didn't buy a PS3 until the slim model came out. The original model was simply too expensive - I remember people saying that you could buy a Nintendo Wii AND an Xbox 360 and still pay less than you would for just a PS3.

Even though the PS4 is the most expensive of the 8th gen consoles right now, the gap between it and the Xbone isn't anything like the gap between the 360 and the PS3 in its early years.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

People joked for years that the PS3 had no games. And for years, that was generally true. It was the epitome of a late bloomer. It took four years for it to be a system worth owning, and then Sony got sidetracked with the whole motion control fad...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sony's then-CEO Ken Kutaragi's famously went on record expecting people to accept the price and if they couldn't afford it to take two jobs at once.
    I can't vouch for its authenticity, but I recently read that he never actually made such a statement.

Edit: While not in those exact words, he essentially did by stating that he hopes that consumers when they see the high price tag will think to themselves that "I will work more hours to buy one".
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-15-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    People joked for years that the PS3 had no games. And for years, that was generally true. It was the epitome of a late bloomer. It took four years for it to be a system worth owning, and then Sony got sidetracked with the whole motion control fad...
    This. I bought the PS3 day one and most of what I played on the console for the first couple of years were PS2 games. Three years after release I only owned four exclusives, literally. I've played around three times that amount through renting, but didn't care for them so never purchased them, and from what I own now I'd own more than four if I had them at time of release. I did have a lot of multiconsole games between the 360, and I guess it's a good thing that I didn't care about too many games that were exclusive on the 360. I missed out on Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Shadow Complex(digital only so I wouldn't purchase anyways,) and Test Drive Unlimited(which I owned for the PS2,) but otherwise nothing I was really interested that didn't come to the PS3 later. At the time, Xbox 360 didn't have very many games either, as Microsoft was driving sales through timed exclusive content or timed exclusives that later came out on the PS3. Because of so many timed exclusives, it just looked like the 360 had so many more games. Between first and third party, PS3 started picking up at 2010 where I actually was interested in more than one exclusive a year. Every year after it kept getting better and better until the launch of the PS4, but even then we're still getting some good looking exclusives like Trails of Cold Steel. Oh yeah, and Yakuza 5, but as big of a Yakuza fan as I am, no retail, no sale(atleast until it's $10 or less.)

*edit*

Oh, and here's a thought. Microsoft had that bs DRM, and then Sony made the comment about not having it, even made the video about letting your friends borrow your physical copies. If you noticed though, Sony is pushing digital in the west harder than Microsoft is. Look at Bloodborne the Old Hunters. Retail in Japan and Europe, digital only in the US. Gravity Rush was also going to be digital only in the US and then they finally announced a retail version. Yakuza 5 is being released for a silent death with a digital only release considering it's only on the PS3. The game wouldn't be coming to the US if it wasn't for Sony, so Sony is at fault for not releasing it at retail. Beyond Two Souls Remastered is digital only in the US, Heavy Rain remastered is going to be digital only in the US, but Sony Europe stated that they'll release a retail version with both games, Japan already has the retail version with both games up for preorder.

So Sony received a lot of good will from the community for saving retail and not forcing DRM down our throats, but just look at what they're doing. They're forcing DRM down our throats. It's something most people haven't noticed and it's right in front of their faces.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I missed out on Shadow Complex(digital only so I wouldn't purchase anyways,) and Test Drive Unlimited(which I owned for the PS2,)
    Did you buy Test Drive Unlimited 2 for the PS3? If so, Oahu in improved form is the 2nd island you reach later in the game. So in a roundabout way, you didn't miss much of anything with this one.

You're going to get a 2nd chance at Shadow Complex, since it's being remastered for the PS4 and XB1. I assume that you own or plan to own a PS4, although it likely will still be a digital exclusive (I'm surprised that this one missed out on being included on a XBLA compilation discs, but I checked and it's not on any of them).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Did you buy Test Drive Unlimited 2 for the PS3? If so, Oahu in improved form is the 2nd island you reach later in the game. So in a roundabout way, you didn't miss much of anything with this one.

You're going to get a 2nd chance at Shadow Complex, since it's being remastered for the PS4 and XB1. I assume that you own or plan to own a PS4, although it likely will still be a digital exclusive (I'm surprised that this one missed out on being included on a XBLA compilation discs, but I checked and it's not on any of them).
    Yeah I own TDU2 but I actually like the first one better. The first one has literally hundreds and hundreds of different tracks across the island. All the club races are different tracks against each opponent starting at the bottom as well. The second game has this tournament story mode and doesn't have as many tracks throughout the game. With 11 race classes and the most I've seen were seven races(I think I made it to A2 before I quit playing) then there's at most 77 tracks. Pretty weak considering there are more roads(Ibiza) in addition to the hundreds of miles of off road. That being said, TDU2 is still a fun racing game, I just didn't have as much fun as I had with the first. Forza Horizon is apparently TDU and TDU2 with better graphics, so that's two games I'll eventually pick up when and if I get an Xbox One.

Maybe Limited Run Games makes a deal to release Shadow Complex at retail if Epic doesn't.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-15-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While Forza Horizon has a similar concept (And should hopefully soon be on the Xbox One's BC list, joining the sequel for the XB1), The Crew really is the spiritual successor to this franchise.

It was developed by newcomer Ivory Tower, which is composed of many former employees of Eden Games. The Test Drive Unlimited DNA is clearly evident just about anywhere you look and it seems obvious that they were out to create what amounts to TDU3. If you own a PS4, I highly recommend that you pick this one up.

It just received a significant overhaul that corrects many of its issues, including a completely redone graphics engine. It's a free update that has reinvigorated the community and solved most of its issues (although the DLC expansion labeled as Wild Run is a paid add-on). Not a bad time to be getting involved in it.

The sole major issue remaining is that despite being just as enjoyable and accessible when playing solo as Test Drive Unlimited was, you're not allowed to play it without being connected to the Ubisoft server. As a result, it has a built-in expiration date. And the online component really isn't all that great, which makes it all the more frustrating that Ubisoft didn't remove their leash when they updated the game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-15-2015 at 05:15 PM.