Thread: Opinions on "Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA: Enhanced Edition by Sam Pettus, David Chen, David Munoz & Kevin Williams"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Opinions on "Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA: Enhanced Edition by Sam Pettus, David Chen, David Munoz & Kevin Williams"

So I stumbled across Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA on Amazon.com today, but I have never heard of the book until now. Does anyone here have a copy? I'd like to read some opinion on it from the forum's fine folks. If it's worth it, I'll take the plunge on getting a copy for myself, but I want to hear what you have to say first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

It's a print version of Sam Pettus' SegaBase website from almost fifteen years ago.

Here is a mirror/archive of the original site:

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/gam...ase/index.html

It's worth buying the book though as it's obviously a hard copy, and fixes several errors Pettus made in the original articles (mostly date errors). It also adds some more content to the original articles as well.

I use to read SegaBase daily back when I was the peak of my Sega fandom back in 2001 - 2003, and could damn near recite them all from memory (I probably read the Sega CD and 32X ones more than 100 times each). That was my bible in my early high school days.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 12-12-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I read it a few months ago. Decent overview of events, highly detailed system information, but the rest is just a mess. Odd organization, random lists about nothing, formatting is strange...lots of little things. Felt like it really needed to spend time with a talented editor before being published. It being a website beforehand would actually explain a lot.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I've read through some of it being a big sega fan I believe you can sample it via amazon. For me it was a bit dry compared to other game history books but honestly its also one of the best. Had no idea it was based off a website

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was great and I took part in the Kickstarter campaign. For those of you who like audiobooks, this is also available on Audible.com. With these sorts of gaming books I tend to want to flip around a lot and not read it straight through. Listening to the audiobook at work helped out a lot in this respect. Besides some blatant mispronunciations, the narration is spot on IMHO.