Thread: SEGA: I NEED this game in my life. So port it. Release it. Let me purchase it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default SEGA: I NEED this game in my life. So port it. Release it. Let me purchase it.

Just do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Does it not work in emulation? I just loaded it up in OpenEmu and it wouldn't go farther than an intro screen. I fired up Daytona 1 and it was stuttered, slow-motion garbage that I couldn't even play if I wanted to since I don't have a driving controller hooked up. Do Daytona games just not suit themselves towards emulation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Does it not work in emulation? I just loaded it up in OpenEmu and it wouldn't go farther than an intro screen. I fired up Daytona 1 and it was stuttered, slow-motion garbage that I couldn't even play if I wanted to since I don't have a driving controller hooked up. Do Daytona games just not suit themselves towards emulation?
    I don't know anything about OpenEmu, all I know is the best way to play it and all Sega Model 3 games is with the Supermodel emulator: http://www.supermodel3.com/

Model 2 games should be played on Nebula's Model 2 emulator by ElSemi: http://nebula.emulatronia.com/
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 12-14-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At least we have Outrun 2 for the Xbox, with its excellent pair of bonus courses. Looks to be the closest we're going to get to a home conversion of Daytona USA 2 or Sega Super GT.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

DU2 works okay with Supermodel. Never will be ported due to Daytona license required. NASCAR likely wants too much $$$.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    DU2 works okay with Supermodel. Never will be ported due to Daytona license required. NASCAR likely wants too much $$$.
    We got PS3 and 360 versions of Daytona just a few years ago, so I'm not sure I buy that excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    At least we have Outrun 2 for the Xbox, with its excellent pair of bonus courses. Looks to be the closest we're going to get to a home conversion of Daytona USA 2 or Sega Super GT.
    That's absolutely true, and very well may remain true, provided Daytona USA 2 and Scud Race aka Sega Super GT never get official home ports.

One could almost say the same thing about Namco's Rave Racer (arcade, 1995) since, even though the Rave Racer specific tracks were brought over into the PSP Ridge Racer games, plus some Rave Racer inspired tracks created for PSP that were never in the arcade release, we never got a straight port of Rave Racer for home. Even though there almost was one, for PowerVR accelerated PCs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Never will be ported due to Daytona license required. NASCAR likely wants too much $$$.
    NASCAR isn't even involved.

It's the International Speedway Corporation that owns the Daytona International Speedway and is the company that holds the copyright to that name. Consequently, they're the organization that Sega must deal with in order to secure the license for the Daytona USA branding. And it seems worth adding that said branding was actually invented by Sega themselves.

Only afterwards it light of its success in arcades and at home, was that branding used by Daytona themselves to label their now shuttered interactive museum at the track as. It is not and never has been the name of the racetrack itself that has held the Daytona 500 each February and the Firecracker 400 each July 4th weekend since opening in 1959. It seems unlikely that the brand name of what amounts to a small scale amusement center with an historical twist that doesn't even operate anymore, is as budget breaking as some of you think it is.

NASCAR does not even own any of the tracks that the Sprint Cup series competes on. The vast majority are owned by the International Speedway Corporation like Daytona or by rival conglomerate, Speedway Motorsports Incorporated. The sole exceptions are independently owned and operated with Indy controlled by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation, Pocono by Mattco Inc, and Dover by Dover Motorsports Inc.

And secondly and even more important, all the naysayers that said exactly what you just did have already been proven wrong once before. That argument, word for word despite its lack of accuracy with NASCAR always incorrectly cited as an issue, was what everyone proclaimed would prevent Daytona USA from ever being resurrected. And not only did we see one avenue that could be taken to avoid any outside licensing expense when it saw an arcade rerelease in its new HD form back around 2010, we subsequently saw that project ported to home consoles with the Daytona USA branding fully restored. Why would that argument now suddenly again be valid for the sequel?

Heck, with Daytona USA still available to purchase on PSN/XBLA, Sega very well might not have to pay a dime to ISC were it to rerelease Daytona USA 2 today. Sega quite possibly may have covered that eventuality with their licensing agreement that's clearly still in force due to both versions remaining available, way back in 2011 when Daytona USA HD appeared for the 360 & PS3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-15-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    NASCAR isn't even involved.

It's the International Speedway Corporation that owns the Daytona International Speedway and is the company that holds the copyright to that name. Consequently, they're the organization that Sega must deal with in order to secure the license for the Daytona USA branding. And it seems worth adding that said branding was actually invented by Sega themselves.

Only afterwards it light of its success in arcades and at home, was that branding used by Daytona themselves to label their now shuttered interactive museum at the track as. It is not and never has been the name of the racetrack itself that has held the Daytona 500 each February and the Firecracker 400 each July 4th weekend since opening in 1959. It seems unlikely that the brand name of what amounts to a small scale amusement center with an historical twist that doesn't even operate anymore, is as budget breaking as some of you think it is.

NASCAR does not even own any of the tracks that the Sprint Cup series competes on. The vast majority are owned by the International Speedway Corporation like Daytona or by rival conglomerate, Speedway Motorsports Incorporated. The sole exceptions are independently owned and operated with Indy controlled by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation, Pocono by Mattco Inc, and Dover by Dover Motorsports Inc.

And secondly and even more important, all the naysayers that said exactly what you just did have already been proven wrong once before. That argument, word for word despite its lack of accuracy with NASCAR always incorrectly cited as an issue, was what everyone proclaimed would prevent Daytona USA from ever being resurrected. And not only did we see one avenue that could be taken to avoid any outside licensing expense when it saw an arcade rerelease in its new HD form back around 2010, we subsequently saw that project ported to home consoles with the Daytona USA branding fully restored. Why would that argument now suddenly again be valid for the sequel?

Heck, with Daytona USA still available to purchase on PSN/XBLA, Sega very well might not have to pay a dime to ISC were it to rerelease Daytona USA 2 today. Sega quite possibly may have covered that eventuality with their licensing agreement that's clearly still in force due to both versions remaining available, way back in 2011 when Daytona USA HD appeared for the 360 & PS3.
    Thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's ported to the PC as "SEGA RACING ARCADE COLLECTION" very hard to Find. Comes with GT24, Daytona 1,2 and SEGA Rally I think.
    I've been trying to find it but no luck.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still waiting for Power Drift 3D. What's the hold up? It's finished. Put it on the fucking eshop already, Jesus. Stop worrying about garbage Sonic games because nobody cares. Obviously Sega doesn't either, looking at all the junk they've put out based on that franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hksrb25s14 View Post
    it's ported to the PC as "SEGA RACING ARCADE COLLECTION" very hard to Find. Comes with GT24, Daytona 1,2 and SEGA Rally I think.
    You sure about that name as google won't even come up with one single hit which isn't a good sign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wish they'd release Power Drift 3D, too.

And to a much lesser extent, I'd also like to see the SMS conversions come over here as well (Hopefully in bundled form; I'm afraid that $6 Master System ports will likely never meet their sales expectations in the West and could endanger the chances of further Western releases in their 3D Classics line if M2's even allowed to continue).

No, it never got ported. That's why you're not finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You sure about that name as google won't even come up with one single hit which isn't a good sign.
    He possibly mistakenly remembers some hopes that people had when we first heard of Sega Racing Classic. Due to the title, many people hoped at first that it would be a HD collection of classic 3D Sega arcade racers from the 1990's.

Another possibility is that a pirate made his own PC compilation using homebrew emulators like Supermodel 3, and he saw this be listed for sale at one point and assumed it was legitimate.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google doesn't come up with anything. I don't think this was released