Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consolized Sega Gamegear for Sale

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Consolized Sega Gamegear for Sale

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I haven't posted here in awhile. I'm more active on pcenginefx forums and several facebook group.

Consolized Sega Gamegear for sale. It has the following upgrades, new lcd, vga out, two controller ports and recapped. Includes vga cable only. You can adjust resolution and add scanlines by holding start, button 1 and 2 at the same time on the game gear. Contrast dial enable vga out and disable lcd to conserve battery life. $300 shipped within US.

http://youtu.be/f94fD8VjCw4

LCD scaling test:
    http://youtu.be/1TEB-SY5Ptw

Vga out testing:
    http://youtu.be/JGkABtRsRwk
    Last edited by turbokon; 12-15-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added pictures

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The audio is not output is it?

The VGA out limits it a little as well, though I am sure there is an adapter. I think this is great minus the sound output.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get audio output from the gamegear earphone jack. Some tv has audio input for vga via a 3.5mm jack.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added some pictures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I would be interested, but $300 is far too much in my opinion.

There are much cheaper solutions of playing GG games on an TV and not saying this isn't a cool and very clean looking mod, but generally speaking I've found you are better off with the Master System versions of whatever was on the GameGear thanks to increased resolution and FM sound support. Problem was there were a pile of GG exclusives not on SMS, but the $300 price is too high to justify that when console based emulation solutions via Android set top boxes are half of the price and do far more than play GG games.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post

There are much cheaper solutions of playing GG games on an TV and not saying this isn't a cool and very clean looking mod, but generally speaking I've found you are better off with the Master System versions of whatever was on the GameGear thanks to increased resolution and FM sound support. Problem was there were a pile of GG exclusives not on SMS, but the $300 price is too high to justify that when console based emulation solutions via Android set top boxes are half of the price and do far more than play GG games.
    Cost is due to mostly for the lcd. I have sold 3 in the last couple of months but without the controller ports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added a couple video demonstrating the scaling and scanlines capabilities.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And it's sold.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

That attitude is pretty much why almost no one mods Sega hardware on the same level as Nintendo or even TG-16/PC Engine.
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 12-16-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing this brings up an interesting question. I wonder why Sega never bothered with a portable game adapter for the genesis? I mean Nintendo had one for every console from the Super Gameboy for the SNES all the way to the GBA adapter for the gamecube.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

GameGear has a higher color palette than the Genesis. That's at least one reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Game Gear also wasn't nearly as successful as the Game Boy, so the pool of interested Genesis owners in such an adapter would've been significantly less than Nintendo's Super Game Boy.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So should I post stuff I have for sale in the main forums now? I mean it will get more views so why not?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Empsolo View Post
    Seeing this brings up an interesting question. I wonder why Sega never bothered with a portable game adapter for the genesis? I mean Nintendo had one for every console from the Super Gameboy for the SNES all the way to the GBA adapter for the gamecube.
    It was probably due to low sales numbers of the GameGear, and sega already had enough on their plate. In 1994, Sega was supporting the Master System (Europe), GameGear, Genesis/MegaDrive, Sega CD, 32X AND the Sega Saturn in Japan. Oh, and the Sega Nomad. That too. You're saying it would've been wise for Sega to put yet ANOTHER platform?

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    So should I post stuff I have for sale in the main forums now? I mean it will get more views so why not?
    No. Mods must be on Christmas holiday because normally a sale thread here would be deleted and you'd be warned not to do so again at the risk of being banned.

Post in the buy/sell/trade section.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It was probably due to low sales numbers of the GameGear, and sega already had enough on their plate. In 1994, Sega was supporting the Master System (Europe), GameGear, Genesis/MegaDrive, Sega CD, 32X AND the Sega Saturn in Japan. Oh, and the Sega Nomad. That too. You're saying it would've been wise for Sega to put yet ANOTHER platform?
    You forgot Pico!
    Though it wouldn't have been another platform but an accessory.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Consolized Sega Gamegear for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    My bad. If its any consolation, this can now become a consolized sega game gear discussion. I got a new love for the game gear because of the new lcd, vga and controller ports. When I do the next one, I will add a pause button to the sms controllers and add a lipo battery mod internally with charging through the gg itself. I have done the internal lipo battery mod with the nomad and turbo express already:

By the way, the game gear looks great on the projector via vga.

I'm a big of fan of shootem-ups and Atro Warrior is the first in the genre I have played as a kid back in 1988.
    Last edited by turbokon; 12-17-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    GameGear has a higher color palette than the Genesis. That's at least one reason.
    I did not know this until recently. I always wondered why the colors was better on the gg. I also liked the chip tune better. The genesis have to much farting sound on a lot of games. Some chip tune sounds fantastic if done right like streets of rage 1 & 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Got that right about the GG, amazed me they didn't do even a little more with the total/general max on screen output of color on the Genesis as it felt like the biggest corner cutting cop out, and some of the audio is miserable especially in recorded sounds like vocals but yes SoR1 and 2 have some amazing tunes. I bet I could run that SMS game you had up on the projector similarly as recently I bought a brand new handheld that has 40 SMS/GG games on it Sega licensed and it's on there, and it has a 3.5mm to RCA tv out jack on there, just would have to run that to a projector is all. But it's not fair to lump all the stuff that way, too both in audio and visual when you can run up against somethings out there like Dune with its clear vocals from your soldiers and the smoother music and colors of Ristar. I'm going to attempt to trade/pay into a Nomad after Christmas, I'd really like to unbutton my Genesis games from the TV as that's how I cut my teeth on the stuff initially anyway. I don't think I'd care to battery mod it, and the screen I can live with though as I've seen the cost of having someone do the screen(plus it) and ugh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    That attitude is pretty much why almost no one mods Sega hardware on the same level as Nintendo or even TG-16/PC Engine.
    Amen!!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbokon View Post
    Cost is due to mostly for the lcd.
    Maybe this upgrade is something to pass on for those looking to save some cost. If I'm buying a Game Gear with video out capabilities, I'm not planning to use it portably anymore. Too big and bulky to carry around, and the battery life sucks too so it's mostly destined to be used with an AC adapter. Plus I would be nervous of losing or damaging it if I took it around somewhere as it's not easy to replace without having one modded again.

Personally I would just want some type of composite output so I could use this on an older CRT television, but an older CRT computer monitor could work. It just makes sound output more of a challenge to use a computer monitor. Otherwise, it's very nice work to see this mod done. This is from someone who pretty much prefers to keep hardware stock and unmodded in general.