Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Third for Wii U super rare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Devil's Third for Wii U super rare

Apparently, only 420 NA copies were released. Ebay has inflated prices already.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There was already a restock in Amazon that immediately sold out, I highly doubt it's as limited as people think it is. Additionally, I guarantee the low printings are to do what Nintendo has found to be successful since the Wii. Look at Amiibo's and many of them receiving a low print run only to restock every so often, it keeps people rushing out to buy them as soon as they're back up because the illusion that they're rare when they're really not.

*edit*

Remember how "rare" Xenoblade Chronicles was when it first released. No trouble finding a copy of that now and that's a Gamestop exclusive. Give it time and everyone who wants a copy of this game will get one.

Wasteland 2 just released at retail on the PS4 and Xbox One two months ago and it is $20 at Gamestop now if you can actually find it, because it's unavailable at most Gamestops now. It's available on Amazon but the price has increased to around $40. I'm sure this game will eventually be more rare both PS4 and Xbox One combined than Devil's Third. Not as expensive because there aren't die hard Nintendo fanboys that drive up the price, but more rare regardless. As common as Xenoblade is it's still valuable.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasteland 2 has been available at best buy and at my local bx since release. I saw it today at best buy as a matter of fact. Is it supposed to be rare?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Wasteland 2 has been available at best buy and at my local bx since release. I saw it today at best buy as a matter of fact. Is it supposed to be rare?
    It's only been out for two months for consoles and it's already been at Gamestop(just looked it's back up to $40.) It's out of stock at the two closest Gamestops to me, listed as low stock everywhere else and still available online. So for consoles, I'd say it'll be rare or atleast very uncommon once they completely sell out at other retailers.

I wouldn't jump on it yet though, I'd wait for it to hit $20 again or starts to become harder to find everywhere.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-24-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There was already a restock in Amazon that immediately sold out, I highly doubt it's as limited as people think it is. Additionally, I guarantee the low printings are to do what Nintendo has found to be successful since the Wii. Look at Amiibo's and many of them receiving a low print run only to restock every so often, it keeps people rushing out to buy them as soon as they're back up because the illusion that they're rare when they're really not.

*edit*

Remember how "rare" Xenoblade Chronicles was when it first released. No trouble finding a copy of that now and that's a Gamestop exclusive. Give it time and everyone who wants a copy of this game will get one.

Wasteland 2 just released at retail on the PS4 and Xbox One two months ago and it is $20 at Gamestop now if you can actually find it, because it's unavailable at most Gamestops now. It's available on Amazon but the price has increased to around $40. I'm sure this game will eventually be more rare both PS4 and Xbox One combined than Devil's Third. Not as expensive because there aren't die hard Nintendo fanboys that drive up the price, but more rare regardless. As common as Xenoblade is it's still valuable.
    It could also be Nintendo is embarrassed of how bad the game is and limited production. Is Wasteland 2 really that rare? I've seen quite a few (mostly Xbox One versions) for $20, plus they are all over eBay.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You can still buy it digitally, right? And I'm going to add to the echo that Nintendo was probably ashamed of this game and brought it over because contracts. I doubt the print run was only 450 copies. Add an extra "0" onto that number and it seems plausible, which also seems like the minimum that you would have to print to make it worthwhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    It could also be Nintendo is embarrassed of how bad the game is and limited production. Is Wasteland 2 really that rare? I've seen quite a few (mostly Xbox One versions) for $20, plus they are all over eBay.
    For what's practically a brand new game, there are 55 Xbox One copies on Ebay and 38 PS4 copies on Ebay. Xenoblade Chronicles has 55 copies on Ebay. The two closest Gamestops from me, the game is out of stock. I'm thinking it's going to be rare. Give it a few months and we'll have a better idea of what the future holds for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For what's practically a brand new game, there are 55 Xbox One copies on Ebay and 38 PS4 copies on Ebay. Xenoblade Chronicles has 55 copies on Ebay. The two closest Gamestops from me, the game is out of stock. I'm thinking it's going to be rare. Give it a few months and we'll have a better idea of what the future holds for the game.
    It's probably both. It's an awful game from all you see around about it, but to say there's like 420 copies is just reseller and collector trolls trying to start rumors so they can make their 'investment' even more expensive on the secondary market. It's just the classy tactics on old games being applied to new to hose people over who want a game for whatever reason. It's low distribution no doubt but it's also Nintendo's hand entirely as they keep doing this with the WiiU because they know it's very unpopular so they do one good sized run or they hunt and peck out a few really small runs so no stock is left lingering around because they can them trumpet their full price download purchases on the console they control entirely for better profit.

It's just one the newer seedy things Nintendo does which pisses people off who still like them and their games. I find when I get these small moments where I think I'd try and play some magic and get a WiiU again on the cheap I look at games I used to own such as Pikmin 3 and just say fuck it and write it off seeing what it could cost me to own it again as a physical copy. It sucks the interest right out of me and it's 100% Nintendo's fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It's probably both. It's an awful game from all you see around about it, but to say there's like 420 copies is just reseller and collector trolls trying to start rumors so they can make their 'investment' even more expensive on the secondary market.
    I hope you don't mean me. I am not a reseller, and not a troll as Zap! has been around since September, 1991.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've watched a playthrough of the entire game on Youtube and it doesn't look that bad, I'm not sure why people are saying it's horrible. If anything it's just a bit short. Maybe it's not a great game among the best ever made, but it's decent enough to be fun.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might just be rare at your Gamestops. All of my Gamestops have at least one in my state. I just did a quick check and Amazon has it as well as best buy in store and online. I wouldn't consider that rare. I think the Ebay listings are small because this is a game that people buy knowing they want to keep and play it. Plus it isn't Nintendo so nobody is shitting their pants that it is rare. It may be scarce someday but with the digital side being there I just don't see why people would pay that much more for it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the typical hype and hysteria about the alleged 'rarity' of a game.

Only 420 copies released in the US? Ridiculous and highly unlikely for all the good reasons in the world.

I could give you so many similiar examples in the last twenty years, all games became after some time available for very normal prices. Online gossip and speculations made the hysteria worse and reenforced it, that's the only new aspect of it.

Don't buy into this nonsense. In a year or in a couple of years you'll get this game for a regular price. The worst thing at this point is to run with the crowd, get nervous. speculate and pay an amount of money you'll sure regret later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    This is the typical hype and hysteria about the alleged 'rarity' of a game.

Only 420 copies released in the US? Ridiculous and highly unlikely for all the good reasons in the world.

I could give you so many similiar examples in the last twenty years, all games became after some time available for very normal prices. Online gossip and speculations made the hysteria worse and reenforced it, that's the only new aspect of it.

Don't buy into this nonsense. In a year or in a couple of years you'll get this game for a regular price. The worst thing at this point is to run with the crowd, get nervous. speculate and pay an amount of money you'll sure regret later.
    This. Nintendo realized years ago that making a product seem hard to find will cause the item to go out of stock the moment it hits shelves regardless of quality. There's been yet another Amazon restock only to go out of stock again before the hour was up. Just wait a year and it'll be as common as Xenoblade for the Wii.

But also, it's not just Nintendo games that people panic about, but Nintendo is the one that does this tactic to all of the games that aren't guaranteed sellers. Atlus does it too at launch, but not quite like Nintendo where the game is severely underprinted. Atlus tends to go on their name Atlus as rarity and slightly under prints the first batch of games, then afterwards doesn't ever seem like a problem to find. Unlike days past though, Atlus games aren't rare. They're about as common as any mainstream game to those who are interested.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-26-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can still buy it digital so there's no point to this unless you want a physical copy. And if that's the case you might as well wait until it gets restocked. This is similar to the first Dead Island game. They sent no more than two or three copies per system per store when it launched. So one PS3 copy, two 360 copies, etc. And I talked to several employees at multiple Besy Buy's and Target's to learn that this was indeed the case. In a few weeks the game was completely restocked but during that first few weeks people grabbed copies of the game when they saw it due to them thinking it was actually rare when it never was.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I hope you don't mean me. I am not a reseller, and not a troll as Zap! has been around since September, 1991.
    Nope, figured you were quoting someone else. There's trolls out there who make up stories about things to get suckers to pay more for it. I often saw grumbling about it back when I was using NintendAge as people would track the ebay trolls and abusers once stuff like cinemassacre would show off a game like the pre-net show was a hard sell as a cart for $10 about double CIB, and after the cart was like $50-70 easy. Some games recover like Guardian legend which got hit and shot up nearly that high, but then fell back to under $20 not long after. It can go either way, but in both cases they were shown off as supposedly 'rare', unknown, awesome gems, and the trolls rolled with the awareness and fear and prices got dumb. It often seems now to occur with WiiU games because Nintendo under-prints stuff because they know the system sales are crap and will never recover along with them wanting to make far more cash doing eShop sales for no discount at all despite not paying for the physical costs. Look what Pikmin3 among a few others go for used let alone new, it's sickening. Devil's Third will get the same abuse, even if it's not Pikmin 3 cool, the collector types will panic and drive it up. The last I heard to be fair I think the lowest print runs Nintendo does on a console or allows is like 10000 copies, which still sucks, but it's not 420 either.

Garbage like that is why I bought back into owning a Sega Genesis a couple months ago or so. Few and far between as a game alone (with a pretty label) they fall out of the range of like $3-30 for a game, and it's very minimal they crack $50 let alone $100 (at this rate count it on fingers.) Same more or less with anything Gameboy, so that's where I've redirected my interest to keep happier and well entertained. I'm done getting pissed at trolls and scum making things hard, it's not worth it. They'll fail at their tactics eventually, anything that gets puffed up implodes eventually. At that rate honest rares and true hard to get stuff(at some level of completion) will remain expensive and the rest will lemming off a cliff. For a time people thought comics would be destroyed by it from the garbage around 1992~ but all the trolling imploded and the golden age, silver age, and other oddballs kept their value and the rest went into the quarter to dollar boxes at after market shops.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 12-26-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Nope, figured you were quoting someone else. There's trolls out there who make up stories about things to get suckers to pay more for it. I often saw grumbling about it back when I was using NintendAge as people would track the ebay trolls and abusers once stuff like cinemassacre would show off a game like the pre-net show was a hard sell as a cart for $10 about double CIB, and after the cart was like $50-70 easy. Some games recover like Guardian legend which got hit and shot up nearly that high, but then fell back to under $20 not long after. It can go either way, but in both cases they were shown off as supposedly 'rare', unknown, awesome gems, and the trolls rolled with the awareness and fear and prices got dumb. It often seems now to occur with WiiU games because Nintendo under-prints stuff because they know the system sales are crap and will never recover along with them wanting to make far more cash doing eShop sales for no discount at all despite not paying for the physical costs. Look what Pikmin3 among a few others go for used let alone new, it's sickening. Devil's Third will get the same abuse, even if it's not Pikmin 3 cool, the collector types will panic and drive it up. The last I heard to be fair I think the lowest print runs Nintendo does on a console or allows is like 10000 copies, which still sucks, but it's not 420 either.

Garbage like that is why I bought back into owning a Sega Genesis a couple months ago or so. Few and far between as a game alone (with a pretty label) they fall out of the range of like $3-30 for a game, and it's very minimal they crack $50 let alone $100 (at this rate count it on fingers.) Same more or less with anything Gameboy, so that's where I've redirected my interest to keep happier and well entertained. I'm done getting pissed at trolls and scum making things hard, it's not worth it. They'll fail at their tactics eventually, anything that gets puffed up implodes eventually. At that rate honest rares and true hard to get stuff(at some level of completion) will remain expensive and the rest will lemming off a cliff. For a time people thought comics would be destroyed by it from the garbage around 1992~ but all the trolling imploded and the golden age, silver age, and other oddballs kept their value and the rest went into the quarter to dollar boxes at after market shops.
    To be fair, the 90s comic boom was pushed along by the industry and that's part of the reason why it imploded so badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree and the gaming industry is doing a larger and also online parallel to it being fair. Look at all the massive amounts of NIntendo based merchandise out there based exclusively on their pre-3D stuff for the most part and not just games but toys, t-shirts, statues, plushies, and many other trinkets too. You can also lay some down on the virtual console as well which has been a success for them. They're feeding it, and not just Nintendo when everything now gets branded as a store exclusive entirely or version, so called 'limited editions' printed into the hundreds of thousands of copies. It's kind of similar as the comic and same time baseball card build up did the same. Before it was just comics and cards, then you got player and hero busts, statues, comic hero trading cards, multiple cross over or special editions(mass printed) comics, clothing, and all that other junk that just exploded. Since it was pre-internet you had multiple people opening up comic shops and card shops in the same towns, even more than one on the same streets if the town was busy enough to support it for a little while. That's why I drew the parallel as it seemed to fairly well fit. That's also why I got hot over it because back then I was on a $5 or so allowance in high school and I got priced out fast from all the troublemakers and now it's games getting the same shops(just online mostly) and pricing games that get fostered by companies feeding into it with their back libraries re-releasing them or stuff around it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Interesting how so many copies of the game on Ebay are from Canadian sellers. I wonder what the story about that is.
    I bought my copy of the game on Ebay from Canada for $99.00 new with free shipping, one day before the OP's original post. I was alittle bit miffed that I couldn't recall any kind of heads up about the game here, a place where collectors often speculate about future rarities. But the $40.00 premium I ended up paying spared me sales tax and driving around fuel expense, so I don't feel like I got hosed for a game that I may or may not be able to find later for less.
    You know this is exactly what I love about the hobby of collecting! Attempting to understand the market for video games well enough to make a guess whether or not to buy a game I would like to own new or not. I get most of my games new or used from the bargain bin and I'm proud of it. I don't 'support the industry', I just collect games for a hobby. But a few games, a very few, are never cheaper than when they first came out. I've made my share of bad guesses to be sure, but a few good guesses come to mind - like Rule of the Rose or Metal Gear Subsistance LE . I never sell my games, so profiteering isn't even a consideration. I just find that taking a speculative chance is a distinctly enjoyable part of the hobby.

From what I understand, the 420 copies figure came from Gamestop. It's the rumored number of copies they had available on their website, it didn't include the supply the brick and mortar stores got or the pre-orders. Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target and even Dell reportedly had some to sell, but they were gone very quickly, so I guess they didn't get much physical stock either. Of course it's still available digitally for $59.99, but collector's like me say 'pffft' to ether copies.

There's been a lot of drama and speculation about this M rated Wii U game. I'm glad I own a copy no matter what happens. There's a story to this game now, and that's kind of rare - in and of itself.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If it wasn't very good, I wonder if the M-rating might be a factor.
    Nintendo of America VERY rarely publishes M-rated games (I think the might be the seventh ever?), obviously still preferring to keep their first-party catalog family-friendly.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's only been out for two months for consoles and it's already been at Gamestop(just looked it's back up to $40.) It's out of stock at the two closest Gamestops to me, listed as low stock everywhere else and still available online. So for consoles, I'd say it'll be rare or atleast very uncommon once they completely sell out at other retailers.

I wouldn't jump on it yet though, I'd wait for it to hit $20 again or starts to become harder to find everywhere.
    The only reason many Gamestops are out of stock of Wasteland 2 is that they discounted it to $30 on Black Friday and sold through a lot of their copies. The game is easily found in most Best Buy and Target locations among other retailers. Devil's Third on the other hand sold out on launch day and other than a tiny couple of Amazon restocks, hasn't been in stock anywhere consistently since. While the 420 copies number is BS, the game was clearly only printed in a very limited manner and was not carried in any major chains other than Gamestop and only available if you preordered at Best Buy. As such, unless there is another print run, I would expect this game not to get any cheaper over time.