Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krazy Prices on "Kid Klown in Night Mayor World" (NES)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Unhappy Krazy Prices on "Kid Klown in Night Mayor World" (NES)

Really, online buyers? Do you really think Kid Klown in Night Mayor World is worth $100 - $150 loose, $300 - $350 complete? I mean, from the online videos I've seen, Kid Klown looks like a good game, a nice game, but not a game worth that much cash! Why so much? Its rarity is a 5 out of 10, so it's not common, but is it really worth the high price? Why buyers drive up these prices is beyond me.

Oh, for the days when you could just routinely pick up NES and Atari games at yard sales for $1 each! What I'd give to have the $5 prices again, even!

It's been quite some time since I've regularly bought NES games online; it's been about 1 1/2 years since I bought any NES games offline. Is this sort of pricing normal anymore?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

NES and SNES prices have been insane in general the past few years, with Genesis creeping up as well.

Probably around the time EarthBound started selling for $200. That game is uncommon at best (had been about a $30 game for like a decade prior), but scalpers have been pushing prices on anything even slightly rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see it ever reversing.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Its because of the rarity, its been considered rare for quite some time now. Its rarer than a 5 out of 10.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I think that 5/10 may be underestimating the rarity too. It was a very late release, so I'm not surprised to hear that it's pulling in some cash like so many other NES games released around its time. There's basically no way that it would've had a large print run or sell lots back then.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Is the title a typo, or is the endboss of the game literally called the Night Mayor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Really, online buyers? Do you really think Kid Klown in Night Mayor World is worth $100 - $150 loose, $300 - $350 complete? I mean, from the online videos I've seen, Kid Klown looks like a good game, a nice game, but not a game worth that much cash! Why so much? Its rarity is a 5 out of 10, so it's not common, but is it really worth the high price? Why buyers drive up these prices is beyond me.

Oh, for the days when you could just routinely pick up NES and Atari games at yard sales for $1 each! What I'd give to have the $5 prices again, even!

It's been quite some time since I've regularly bought NES games online; it's been about 1 1/2 years since I bought any NES games offline. Is this sort of pricing normal anymore?
    Is it good? It's average, not great.
    Is it worth $100 loose and $300 complete? Not even close, it's fairly common and I've had it a few times without trying.
    Why so much? Because people get scared thanks to so many games being falsely jammed up in price so they buy now to avoid it ugly months later.
    Are $5 nes games normal? Barely. They have to be fairly undesirable and common too to still get there, even trolls will try and sell the formerly 50 cent value SMB+DH (or SMB+DH+WCTM) carts for $10-15 now just because fools pay for it.

What I'd give for $5 prices again? Anything, that's why I bailed and stopped getting mad about it. You can get a lot of Gameboy (including color and advance) along with Genesis games for $5-10 as cart alone, and an ok selection of stuff for even $5 shipped(ie: $1-3 games+shipping) today which is why I switched. Fresh experience, and my wallet doesn't feel like it got roofied by Cosby. You can peg most (cart only, nice shape/label) for $3-30 for those things which makes me feel much better as I can try out and experiment with things like I used to do with NES/SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only collect CIB so I can't comment regarding actual cart rarity, but I'd consider the CIB about an 8/10. It's one of those hard to find games with bad gameplay but sought after for collector value... something like Color a Dinosaur. Also has a poster that is even tougher for those who care about being 100% complete.

$300 for a CIB isn't that bad considering what some of the rares go for these days. I'd be more offended with Die Hard commanding close to $200 as a CIB.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's one of the licensed games I've seen the least. I've only seen two, and I bought mine at $3.99 a long time ago. I do think it's actually pretty good, and have played through it. It's pretty easy, but you get a hard mode after beating it the regular way. Plus, it is the beginning of a series Kemco supported for years, with the Kid Klown's Crazy Chase games and The Bombing Islands as well... kind of their sideways mascot. If you were to stumble onto it at a more reasonable price, it's not a bad game at all. Not $100 good, but fun all the same.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got the Famicom Mickey Mouse version for like $30 loose a few years ago. Not sure how reasonable that price was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More people are into retro gaming now which I think is great, especially kids that weren't even born during the heyday of this stuff.

I'll echo others in that I do miss the lower prices even if there's not much left I want. Japanese mega drive games are really the last on my list and those have been among the steepest inclines

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I got the Famicom Mickey Mouse version for like $30 loose a few years ago. Not sure how reasonable that price was.
    I bought Mickey Mouse III: Yume Fuusen for the famicom last year after I was discouraged by the prices I would see for Kid Klown in Night Mayor World. I paid $70 shipped for a complete copy with the registration card. I was collecting balloon games for shits and giggles and wasn't looking to spend much for an admittedly kinda dumb game collection.
    The famicom name translates into Mickey Mouse III: Dream Balloon. I think Capcom owned the licensing rights to Disney games at the time, so Kemco turned it into a Crazy Chase titled game. And that explains why it's not similar to any of the other Crazy Chase games.
    While I do feel chagrined anytime I'm resigned to buying a famicom version of a game because of expense, in this instance it wasn't so bad because I had previously been collecting the Japanese Mickey Mouse series of games for the Gameboy. So it kinda just added to my Mickey Mouse collection as well as my balloon collection.
    Sheesh, I collect some pretty stupid shit!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I keep getting this confused with Kid Kool, that's the label artwork I keep looking for even though Kid Klown looks completely different. I still do not own Kid Klown, I never found a copy locally.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I bought Mickey Mouse III: Yume Fuusen for the famicom last year after I was discouraged by the prices I would see for Kid Klown in Night Mayor World. I paid $70 shipped for a complete copy with the registration card. I was collecting balloon games for shits and giggles and wasn't looking to spend much for an admittedly kinda dumb game collection.
    The famicom name translates into Mickey Mouse III: Dream Balloon. I think Capcom owned the licensing rights to Disney games at the time, so Kemco turned it into a Crazy Chase titled game. And that explains why it's not similar to any of the other Crazy Chase games.
    While I do feel chagrined anytime I'm resigned to buying a famicom version of a game because of expense, in this instance it wasn't so bad because I had previously been collecting the Japanese Mickey Mouse series of games for the Gameboy. So it kinda just added to my Mickey Mouse collection as well as my balloon collection.
    Sheesh, I collect some pretty stupid shit!
    CRAZY CASTLE, geez

But yeah, be prepared for the $25 flat price curse for common as fuck titles that are popular brand name franchises like megaman 2 & 3 or any Mario game.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    CRAZY CASTLE, geez

But yeah, be prepared for the $25 flat price curse for common as fuck titles that are popular brand name franchises like megaman 2 & 3 or any Mario game.
    Crazy Chase. Kid Klown in Crazy Chase for SNES. There's also Crazy Chase 2 and Bombing Islands on PS1, a GBA remake of Crazy Chase, and Go! Go! Kid for GBC, which oddly enough was rebranded as Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle III later...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Crazy Chase. Kid Klown in Crazy Chase for SNES. There's also Crazy Chase 2 and Bombing Islands on PS1, a GBA remake of Crazy Chase, and Go! Go! Kid for GBC, which oddly enough was rebranded as Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle III later...
    Ahhh, Go! Go! Kid! aka Bugs Bunny: Crazy Castle 3! I was trying to remember why in the the heck I was collecting Japanese Mickey Mouse gameboy games in the first place when I saw I was missing number 3 in the series. It's because even in Japan, Mickey Mouse III was released as Bugs Bunny: Crazy Castle 3. Video game licensing can really mess with a collection.

I know I'm not overly fond of Disney, so why was I collecting Japanese Mickey Mouse gameboy games? I had to dig through several collections before I realized it was the bombs. I was collecting all the games I could find that used bombs as a significant gameplay aspect, you know, like Bomberman series or Kemco's Bombing Islands - which was later reconfigured into Charlie Blast Territory for the N64. That's why I had them!

Bombs, man that turned into quite a collection! And because my research keep turning up games that you defuse bombs instead of planting them, I made a collection for that too. It's smaller, but more than you might think and rather interesting too, I thought.

I bet all that bomb googling got me on somebodies watch list.

Yeah, some people collect developers, some collect systems and I do that too. But what makes collecting really fun for me is googling the shit out of some gameplay mechanic I found interesting or amusing and scoring all the games across all systems that have it. Being a guy, it's usually shit like games with zombies, jetpacks, miniguns or games that let you beat up hookers.

Seriously though, it's oddball genre collecting that keeps the hobby of acquiring video games fresh and fun.

Sorry to sidetrack your Krazy Prices on "Kid Klown in Night Mayor World" (NES) thread Nz17. I hope you find one in your price range. If you are collecting balloon games like I did, prices might not be your toughest hurdle. Balloon Fight GB for the Gameboy Color was transfered onto a Nintendo Power flash RAM cartridge. So you have to dig up a RAM cartridge in Japan with the game transfered on it. Heck, if collecting was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's amazing how many of these rare expensive games are titles I never even heard of before.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    It's amazing how many of these rare expensive games are titles I never even heard of before.
    NES has, or had alot of sleeper rare titles. If you look at the NES library, there are many games that are hard to come by. What shocks me the most is when people pay alot for some of the more common games like Tyson and Contra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So true it's why I said if/when it implodes the true rates and faux expensive none rares will tank and adjust. Stuff like Mario contra and turtle stuff shouldn't be so much. I'm glad I stepped off it but feel bad for those in the grinder now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kid Klown is a pretty good game. It's a late release, and it's one of those rare NES titles that was under the radar for a while and undervalued relative to its scarcity (at least when compared to other equally rare games). Wacky Races was another one, and that one is getting expensive too. It won't be long until all of the 1992-1994 era NES titles are going to be $50 and up.

You want an investment that will probably pay off, buy a few copies of Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt for NES, it's probably about on par with Kid Klown rarity wise, but it's only a $40 game right now. It'll be $100+ soon enough just watch.